PDA

View Full Version : Original 'Rain Man' dies at age 58

DMelges
12-22-2009, 05:49 AM
Thought some you might be interested in this...

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/father-utah-man-who-inspired-rain-man-dies-ap

Paint_It_Black
12-22-2009, 06:12 AM
When did we become so interested in the deaths of even the most minor of celebrities? As a culture I mean, not specifically right here.

I'm not even saying I'm any different. I always read the news articles about anyone who has died, fascinated by the achievements of their life. But if they were still alive I wouldn't give a crap. Why is this?

Is it just because the story is somehow complete now they are dead, or is it somehow more morbid than that?

All I know is if I saw a headline about the inspiration for Rain Main I would probably skip the article. But when it says "dead" in there somewhere I feel the need to read it. Or maybe it's my way of showing respect? The guy is dead so I will at least read the article. I don't know.

When I was younger it didn't seem like people had so much interest in celebrity death. Or maybe it was just my perception.

Any thoughts?

DMelges
12-22-2009, 06:22 AM
I guess it's because death catches us by suprise, especially if it's of someone famous. MJ for example, during his last years, no one was giving a crap about him. And suddenly he died, and everyone missed him terribly.

Paint_It_Black
12-22-2009, 06:37 AM
I didn't. The sudden wave of affection towards him irritated me a bit. Sure, some of the people who were sad probably always liked him. But I was surprised that the media seemed to focus entirely on his younger years and skip over the controversy of his later life. I didn't feel much different than if I had been told any random pedophile had died.

I wonder, how will the media and the public react when someone like OJ dies?

DMelges
12-22-2009, 07:48 AM
I didn't. The sudden wave of affection towards him irritated me a bit. Sure, some of the people who were sad probably always liked him. But I was surprised that the media seemed to focus entirely on his younger years and skip over the controversy of his later life. I didn't feel much different than if I had been told any random pedophile had died.

When OJ dies, people will focus on his good years and just as MJ, will skip the controversey of his later life.

nieh
12-22-2009, 08:06 AM

When OJ dies, people will focus on his good years and just as MJ, will skip the controversey of his later life.

I dunno, I think the fact that MJ was found innocent in court, while OJ has since gone to jail (okay, not for the same crime that he's been associated with for years, but he's still there) might change things. I mean, if someone's found innocent in court, is it really fair for the media to keep bringing it up in the future?

DMelges
12-22-2009, 09:50 AM
is it really fair for the media to keep bringing it up in the future?

It isn't fair to the family of the deceased... that's true.

Blitz!
12-22-2009, 11:31 AM
But I was surprised that the media seemed to focus entirely on his younger years and skip over the controversy of his later life.

You have a point there, but I suppose it comes down to the old saying of not speaking ill of the dead.

Jebus
12-22-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm honestly not even sure what OJ was famous for before the trial.

nieh
12-22-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm honestly not even sure what OJ was famous for before the trial.

Naked Gun.

Harleyquiiinn
12-22-2009, 01:40 PM
I mean, if someone's found innocent in court, is it really fair for the media to keep bringing it up in the future?

Everytime someone says something like this, it makes me strangely happy and hopeful

http://www.assas.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/jap.gif

Paint_It_Black
12-22-2009, 11:04 PM
I mean, if someone's found innocent in court, is it really fair for the media to keep bringing it up in the future?

Yes and no. In Jackson's case, the stuff he actually admitted to was still fairly disturbing. And the media shouldn't really gloss over it entirely when summing up his life. I see your point in general, but I can't entirely agree since the judical system is far from being infallible. And it works both ways. If those found guilty can still claim they are innocent then we can still claim that those found innocent are actually guilty. I think as long as you mention and acknowledge the ruling of the court then any responsibility has been fulfilled.