PDA

View Full Version : The Hollow Man

Apathy
12-22-2009, 02:56 PM
I am creating this thread in able to discern the true identity of the man who is as of now unidentified. With his infamous sarcasm, witty discourse, and ample, usually daily posts, he has truly become a trademark member of the bbs, and yet he is still equatable to the Dread Pirate Roberts in terms of what we know about him.

Who is this man in black? I am of course referring to the one and only Al Coholic. He's intelligent, funny, opininated, and most likely well-educated. All of which contribute to being a unique and established member of any online forum.

Despite this, he leaves little insight into his own personal background, and has refused to post any pictures of himself online. In This (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1375024&postcount=220) post he reiterates that he won't give out any personal information online, which is in this day and age, a strange phenomenon, as a simple picture, location, or first name really has little to do with identity theft.

This leads me to believe that he is, in fact, some sort of celebrity or public official, and either doesn't want to get everyone riled up, or doesn't want the public to know that he's posting on some useless message board.

More likely though, is that he just doesn't like sharing for some reason. Because of this it is only natural for me to attempt to narrow down the worldwide search for the AlCoholic. Recently it's been pointed out that he spells realise without a "z" which is present in the traditional american "ize" ending. This suggests that he is from Europe, or perhaps Australia. His postings in the NFL Football thread though, suggest that he is at least reasonably knowledgeable on the subject, and of course the sport is not nearly as popular outside of the United States. This, coupled with the fact that his English is mostly flawless for the common level of dialect, leads me to believe that he is from either the U.S., Canada, England, or Australia.

Canada is the closest fit I think, as it might leave an indication as to why he uses British spellings and yet still watches a lot of American Football.

I beg of you, please help me locate this International Man of Mystery.

DMelges
12-22-2009, 03:09 PM
He also likes to drink.

Apathy
12-22-2009, 03:15 PM
That is not region specific.

So not worth clicking view post, Dan M.

randy
12-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Al Coholic=Apathy?

Apathy
12-22-2009, 03:23 PM
No, but you have brought up another possible conclusion that I hadn't gone into. It makes sense that he wouldn't post any personal information if he were an alternate account of someone already posting. I eliminated this as a possibility however, because I felt as though he had too distinct and genuine of a personality to simply be some alternate. None of the frequent members here fit with his style, and it couldn't be an infrequent visitor because his post count is too high and too often for that.

WebDudette
12-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Someone who doesn't post anymore, that is my guess. I have my thoughts on who it may be specifically.

Apathy
12-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Ahh, that does make sense as well. Although the three most prominent male members to have "permanently" left the board don't seem to fit with him either.

Edit: Good point, tag section. But my main problem with this is why he would have a problem with just telling everyone he's back. A popular member should be able to return with dignity, you know, provided he didn't secretly hate all of us.

Jebus
12-22-2009, 03:53 PM
This post (http://offspring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1376090&postcount=23) gives a clue to his time zone, which happens to point towards the most likely and obvious former member.

EDIT: He's not giving out any personal info for job related reasons. Don't think it has anything to do with diginity.

wheelchairman
12-22-2009, 04:02 PM
I never got the impression that he was educated, not that his writing style or thoughts come off as ignorant, not at all, he's just never mentioned any higher education.

There is a lot we know about al coholic, he smokes cigarettes, used to be quite the pot-head, enjoys a good drink, and can write at a fairly entertaining level. I think it's almost certain that he's an American and he's private with his personal information. I have him pegged in his late 20's as well.

Personally I have no need to know more about him. I'd read if he divulged more information, but I enjoy what he writes anyways.

And I'm certain he's not a former board member. or at least not a memorable one. His style is way to different.

It'd be awesome if he was Linda.

WebDudette
12-22-2009, 04:06 PM
I don't know, when he joined he seemed to know some of the people and history of the board. Aside from that, he has no apparent interest in the Offspring.

Apathy
12-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Well thanks to the time-zone clue he is either an East Coast american with strange spelling habits or a Canadian.

Personally I have no need to know more about him. I'd read if he divulged more information, but I enjoy what he writes anyways.

This rings true I suppose. Honestly the thread is just a manifestation of boredom. If he wants to remain private I'm obviously not going to pry. The thread is mostly a joke and if he wants it closed I'm not going to turn it into a big conspiracy. I just don't understand how divulging a first name is going to get anyone into trouble at work.

Edit: The "no apparent interest in the Offspring" was what really inspired my thoughts on this. A large portion of upper echelon of the board fits within this category, and it seems unlikely that a random person would stumble upon a specialized website with no feelings towards the specialty.

randman21
12-22-2009, 04:42 PM
I didn't want to get into this conversation, but I guess it doesn't harm anyone.

Edit: The "no apparent interest in the Offspring" was what really inspired my thoughts on this. A large portion of upper echelon of the board fits within this category, and it seems unlikely that a random person would stumble upon a specialized website with no feelings towards the specialty.

He's said that he used to be a fan of Offspring, but he still likes punk forums, so he joined here. And he's also stated specifically that he's not an old member.

SK8rocka
12-22-2009, 04:46 PM
i am al coholic.

Cock Joke
12-22-2009, 10:16 PM
http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/celebrity-pictures-hasselhoff-no.jpg

jacknife737
12-23-2009, 06:10 AM
He's the hero The Offspring BBS deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Paint_It_Black
12-23-2009, 06:14 AM
A knight that's always drunkest right before the dawn.

Sidewinder
12-23-2009, 04:41 PM
What happened to the theory that it was TTIG?

wheelchairman
12-23-2009, 04:46 PM
It's almost certainly not.