PDA

View Full Version : recommend songs

GBH2
01-26-2005, 06:04 PM
yes, this has been done before...
but instead

recommend me some good punk rock. no emo. no whiny vocals. just good, catchy punk rock. okay?

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-26-2005, 06:06 PM
Hmm.. punk.. I dunno if that falls under that category, but I love Evil by Interpol. Try it.

punkangel
01-26-2005, 06:09 PM
slow hands from interpol
or the ramones I want to be sudeted..or however you spell it

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Sedated. =)

GBH2
01-26-2005, 06:10 PM
or the ramones I want to be sudeted..or however you spell it
now, you think i've never heard that?!

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Well.. you did say recommend good punk rock, and it is. You didn't specify that you can't have heard it before.

=P

punkangel
01-26-2005, 06:13 PM
Sedated. =)

thanx..or are you being sarcastic

punkangel
he has a very good point..see that's why I recommended it

GBH2
Well.. you did say recommend good punk rock, and it is. You didn't specify that you can't have heard it before.

=P
well....

the offspring did do a cover of it.....

meh, i should've been more specific

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-26-2005, 06:14 PM
No, I'm not being sarcastic. That's how it's spelled.

punkangel
01-26-2005, 06:14 PM
No, I'm not being sarcastic. That's how it's spelled.

thank you! ;)

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-26-2005, 06:15 PM
well....

the offspring did do a cover of it.....

meh, i should've been more specific

Don't worry GBH, I was just razzin' yer. You be less than specific, I won't pick up on it like I do with most people.

Safe, innit.

GBH2
....anyhoo... back to the topic....

nieh
only punk stuff?

Social Distortion - Don't Drag Me Down
Blood Brothers - Guitarmy, Fucking's Greatest Hits, USA Nails (if hardcore with kinda odd vocals counts)
Refused - New Noise
Vandals - Live Fast, Diarrhea (anything off that album, but that song specifically is neato)

GBH2
01-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Social Distortion - Don't Drag Me Down
Refused - New Noise
Vandals - Live Fast, Diarrhea
already have, but thanks.

Betty
01-26-2005, 06:18 PM
The Vindictives - The Many Moods of the Vindictives
88 Fingers Louie - 88 Fingers Up Your Ass
Jughead's Revenge - Pearly Gates
Unwritten Law - Blue Room or Oz Factor
The Damned - Strawberries

Some good punkrock albums... somewhat less popular.

nieh
01-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Unwritten Law - Blue Room or Oz Factor

Unwritten Law are great. My friend has their s/t and Elva, but I never think to buy anything by them myself for some reason. They're the ultimate pop-punk band aside from the Vandals I think (no, not Atari's/Starting Line style pop-punk for anyone else reading this).

UgLy_eLf
01-26-2005, 06:25 PM
UK Subs - Riot
Oi Polloi - Nicaragua, Bash The Fash
Infa Riot - Still Out Of Order
Gonads - Jobs not Jails
Funeral Dress - Violent System
A Global Threat - American Culture
Quincy Punx - My America
The Pist - Never Question
Oxymoron - The Pigs
Opressed - The Oppressed
Forgotten - Fists Up, Keep the Corpses Quiet
Flatliners - Life's not fair
Virus - The time is now
Unseen - Dont be fooled
English Dogs - World War 2, Psycho Killer
D.I. - O.C. life

JohnnyNemesis
01-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Follow Betty's advice. Blue Room and Oz Factor are amazing albums. Especially Oz Factor.

If you want some specific songs to download, check these out:

Unwritten Law: "Falling Down"
Unwritten Law: "Lessons"
Unwritten Law: "Tribute"
Unwritten Law: "Tell Me Why"
Pennywise: "Wouldn't It Be Nice"
Pennywise: "Nothing"
Pennywise: "Twist Of Fate"
The Damned: "Democracy"
Jughead's Revenge: "Faust"
Rancid: "Axiom"
The Hives: "The Hives Introduce The Metric System In Time"

GreenTerror
01-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Oh god, Interpol sucks, and they certainly aren't punk. I recommend:
The Matches (http://www.TheMatches.com/)Get "Sick Little Suicide" or "Erin Smith"
S.T.U.N. (http://www.stunmusic.com/) Get The Movement
Tiger Army (http://www.TigerArmy.com/) Get "Ghost Tigers Rise" or "Power Of Moonlight".
Tsunami Bomb (http://www.TsunamiBomb.com/) Get "Dawn On a Funeral day" or "Say it if you mean it".
Rise Against (http://www.RiseAgainst.com/) Get "Heaven knows", "Like the angel", or "Give it all".
Black Black Ocean (http://www.BlackBlackOcean.com/) "Sucio", or "S!M!"
Alkaline Trio (http://www.AlkalineTrio.com/) Get "This could be Love", "Fine without you", "We've had enough", "Radio", or "I hope this is goodbye".
Authority Zero (http://www.authorityzero.com/)Get "Revolution", "One More Minute", "Over Seasons", or "Rattlin' bog".
Letter Kills (http://www.letterkills.com/) Get "Don't believe".
You might have already heard of some of these bands. Please try some, this post took me about half an hour. I'm such a loser. Oh well. :D

JohnnyNemesis
01-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Tiger Army fucking rules!

Betty
01-26-2005, 07:01 PM
I think Elva is a terrible CD. But S/T is good too. I also define Unwritten Law as possibly the best pop-punk band, depending on your definition of pop-punk I suppose, but I'd put it alongside Blink 182 or something. (I like Blink 182).

I'd like to add to Johnny's song list though, because my ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE song by Unwritten Law is "California Sky"... oh my god... so good.

JohnnyNemesis
01-26-2005, 07:05 PM
Good choice, Betty! "California Sky" is the song that got me into them in the first place. First song I ever heard from 'em. Amazing song. I think my favorite from them is either "California Sky" or "Tell Me Why". "Lame" is good too!

I'd say Elva is half masterpiece, half pure trash. "Actress, Model" is not only their worst song, but one of the worst songs I've ever heard. Even worse than "Cailin", and that's saying a lot. But "Blame It On Me", "Hellborn", "Up All Night" and "Evolution" are extremely good songs in my opinion.

Betty
01-26-2005, 07:06 PM
Tiger Army does indeed rule. Heard them (finally) at Warped Tour and fell in love. I also noticed that you listed "Faust" as a song, that's a good one too.

JohnnyNemesis
01-26-2005, 07:07 PM
Wow Betty, seems like we have similar tastes. If you want more, "Grey Dawn Breaking" and "Incorporeal" are my favorites from Tiger Army.

And yes, "Faust" from Jughead's Revenge does indeed rule! (especially part 2 of the song, which was included on their "Pearly Gates Rest Home" album)

Betty
01-26-2005, 07:09 PM
To tell you the truth, I listened to Elva once after I bought it and it was SO BAD that I've never listened to it again. And there aren't too many CDs that I've done that with. So maybe I'll be ambitious and try and pick out the good songs sometime soon.

And the first song I heard by the band was "Teenage Suicide", which I really enjoyed, but then fell even more in love with "California Sky". "Tell Me Why" is one of my favourites as well, but not so much in a "that's one of my favourite songs ever" way... but more of a "really really good song by the band" way.

Betty
01-26-2005, 07:12 PM
I have Faust Part 2 on some compilation album... probably one of the Nitro ones. I have a couple other Jughead CDs too, but some are really bad, Pearly Gates is the only consistently good one I've heard. Some have a lot of hardcore.

And I've got all the Tiger Army CDs... although have listened to the newest most frequently.

Actually, I don't listen to punk rock as much as I used to, although I still enjoy pulling out the CDs every so often, and enjoy hearing new really good punk bands, that are few and far between. I'm really into the pop-indie-rock style stuff now.

nieh
01-26-2005, 07:13 PM
I think Elva is a terrible CD. But S/T is good too. I also define Unwritten Law as possibly the best pop-punk band, depending on your definition of pop-punk I suppose, but I'd put it alongside Blink 182 or something. (I like Blink 182).

I like Elva a lot (a bit less than s/t overall). It definitely has a step in a more odd direction (good or bad depending on your taste, but they were definitely trying to push out of the pop-punk genre it sounded like..I tend to like slightly more odd stuff though) and some of the songs are just annoying, but the good songs on Elva I think are better than the songs on S/T...it's just less consistent as a whole.

JohnnyNemesis
01-26-2005, 07:16 PM
When I first bought Elva, I didn't listen to it straight through. Had I done that, I might have hated it too, to be honest. You should definitely give it at least one more chance.

The worst thing about the album is the lyrics, I think. Get past that and you might be okay.

Betty
01-26-2005, 07:19 PM
K boys, you've talked me into it... Putting the CD in right now...

nieh
01-26-2005, 07:20 PM
When I first bought Elva, I didn't listen to it straight through. Had I done that, I might have hated it too, to be honest. You should definitely give it at least one more chance.

The worst thing about the album is the lyrics, I think. Get past that and you might be okay.

Plus there's the Raleigh Soliloquy on it!
I tend to not listen to lyrics that much...the only ones on that album I ever noticed were "Mean Girl" and yeah, they were pretty bad. Betty should give the album a few more listens. I liked it a lot the first time I heard it, but like I said, I tend to prefer things that are a bit odd, so it was a nice surprise when I put the cd and was expecting something exactly like all their other stuff.

turb0negr0
01-26-2005, 07:31 PM
I'd suggest Turbonegro,
Some good songs are,
I Got Erection
Sailor Man
Self Destructo Bust
Good Head
Turbonegro Must be Destroyed
Get It On
Prince of the Rodeo.

But then again most people don't like them.

Camilamazed
01-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Rawmania - Me,Myself and I (I think they're punk)

DirtyMagical
01-26-2005, 10:32 PM
Catchy Punk?
Get a band called "Pist"
Their stuff is really fucking catchy.
Haven't listened to them in at least a year...

nieh
01-27-2005, 09:05 AM
K boys, you've talked me into it... Putting the CD in right now...

omg, what did you think!?!?

Betty
01-27-2005, 06:28 PM
It wasn't bad. If I wasn't already a big Unwritten Law fan, I don't know if that would be a CD that would convert me. I have to listen to it a few more times before I get a good feel for it. So, more updates later.

shatskater
01-27-2005, 07:24 PM
the misfits
rancid
the dead kennedys
flogging molly

nieh
01-27-2005, 08:18 PM
It wasn't bad. If I wasn't already a big Unwritten Law fan, I don't know if that would be a CD that would convert me. I have to listen to it a few more times before I get a good feel for it. So, more updates later.

Apparently they have a new album coming out on Tuesday called "Here's to the Mourning". I'll probably buy it because I feel odd for never owning anything by them when I like them a lot

ThatOneGuy123
01-27-2005, 08:30 PM
anything by Dropkick Murphys