PDA

View Full Version : Snow snow snow

Harleyquiiinn
01-03-2010, 11:49 AM
I'm not talking about how to deal with it but what to do when you are on it !

I'm a skier. I love skiing. I always loved it and the 5 years of long studies where I couldn't go are still a bad memory...
So recently, I started to ski a little bit differently. I started using the snowpark. Before, I thought the Snowpark was made for an elite of very brave people, so good they could do amazing things and rotate a hundred times without even falling.
Besides, these big jumps were just completely scary to me.... . So one day, I decided to get in and try one of these big jumps.
I felt, of course, but it was SO great ! That feeling you have when your skis are in the air ! Now I live for it. I spend half of the day in a snowpark. Still not so good since I can go skiing only about one week a year.... The only things I can do so far are 180s and mutes. Nothing extraordinary. I also ride boxes, it usually doesn't end so well though...

I realized pretty fast that no so many girls were into freestyle. I feel quite lonely most of the times... I don't get why.

Anyway, This year, I also took my first steps into freeriding. I realized how physical it was. How scary too... but I loved it... it is just amazing to ski in places that you usually just look at from far away...

Here are my skis, they are freestyle skis but I wouldn't recommend them for that special use. They are not so flexible... but they behave well for everyday skiing...:

http://www.freeride-attitude.com/images/produits/25-69-skis-+-fixations/ski-flyer-salomon.jpg

So, other skiers ? snowboarders ? snowbladers ?

jacknife737
01-03-2010, 12:52 PM
http://jdavidclarke.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/king-size-snowracer-small.jpg

I've lost many a dear friend on these: it's how real men are made, on the slopes beside my old high school.

drummerbecca
01-03-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm a boarder but I'm not very skilled. I have my own board which I bought a few years ago, but it's ex-rental. Didn't see the point in trashing a brand new one by learning on it. I also have snowblades but I just can't get the hang of them at all. I have Salomon SB Ten's but I can't find a decent picture of them anywhere. I'll try and take photos if anyone is interested. Doubt anyone would be though :)

nameless
01-03-2010, 03:59 PM
ive never tried snowboarding or skiing. i used to roller blade and skate but never was that good at it and quite a few people i know ho have been say its kinda got similar principles etc. i would like to try one day though!

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
01-03-2010, 04:16 PM
watch me i'm gonna learn and impress you with my mad skillz
im gonna be flying through the air

Anka
01-03-2010, 04:33 PM
I liked snowbording, now I am not really keen on it. It just isnt fun for me anymore, unless I am teaching my friend to snowboard. BUT I love skimboarding and because we have no beach here I do it on the road in front of my house when it is covered by snow. And it is way more fun then snowboarding or skiing for me, you should try it...

Ryder1234
01-03-2010, 07:06 PM
I love snowboarding, only been twice but it came naturally because I skateboard regularly, only had to get used to turning, balance was there. I used to have a board, grew out of it so now I don't have one, but I'd love to go again.

Bejka
01-04-2010, 12:41 AM
I love skiing, but I hate winter. I want summer.

Bla_Bla_Bla
01-04-2010, 10:31 AM
I really like snowboarding but I'm not as skilled as I'd been on skis ..

Irish-Rover
01-04-2010, 11:26 AM
in Ireland there was snow for 2 days which gave us ice for 8 days at this point and there is more snow tonight

drummerbecca
01-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Looks like you're due to get quite a lot, too. Then again, who trusts weathermen these days?

Rooster
01-04-2010, 04:59 PM
It's snowing like crazy here, it's supposed to snow for 3 days almost non-stop (if you can believe weathermen). I would be quite happy about it, but i don't ski anymore.

nameless
01-05-2010, 03:56 PM
the uk is apparently gonna have its coldest winter in one hundred years with lots of snow which should be interesting, especially seeing as it basically grind the country to a halt last year!

Alison
01-05-2010, 04:01 PM
That's pretty cool :)

I'm into boarding myself...in fact, yesterday, found out I'm going snowboarding next month in Bulgaria:D:D:D
I've only been going about 4 years now...so I'm not great. I've a lot of confidence issues, which really really don't help, but this time, a friend is coming too, and hopefully i can just let go of my fear of falling.

Can't fucking wait.

Harleyquiiinn
01-06-2010, 12:07 AM

I'm into boarding myself...in fact, yesterday, found out I'm going snowboarding next month in Bulgaria:D:D
I've only been going about 4 years now...so I'm not great. I've a lot of confidence issues, which really really don't help, but this time, a friend is coming too, and hopefully i can just let go of my fear of falling.

Can't fucking wait.

Ah yes ! something I learnt from the few times I did snowboard. Snowboarding and fear of falling don't do great together. :D Anyway, snowboarding in Bulgaria sounds like the coolest vacation to me. Take some pictures !

drummerbecca
01-06-2010, 06:35 AM

I'm into boarding myself...in fact, yesterday, found out I'm going snowboarding next month in Bulgaria:D:D:D

Can't fucking wait.

That's pretty cool. Where in Bulgaria will you be going? We own a house over there that I hope to use for snowboarding trips, when it's fixed up.

Alison
01-06-2010, 10:09 AM
That's pretty cool. Where in Bulgaria will you be going? We own a house over there that I hope to use for snowboarding trips, when it's fixed up.

Going to Bansko, cos we have an apartment over there, so may as well get some use out of it.

Tizzalicious
01-07-2010, 05:46 AM
I love love love skiing. I haven't done it for a while due to the lack of mountains here though. Boo. But yes, love it.

I tried snowboarding once, but that was a big failure. We didn't take lessons, and kept falling out of the little lift, so we decided to take the big "chairs" lift all thew way up the mountain. It took us all day to get down again. We switched back to skiing the day after :P

chicapowerpunk
01-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Is blame to climatic change,damnit in mexico itīs cold,is no good,shit,if i ever could change it,(climate)...impossible!!!:mad:

WE WILL BE WORST!!!!!!:eek:

Llamas
01-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Going to Bansko, cos we have an apartment over there, so may as well get some use out of it.

wtf, how do you have an apartment in another country?? does apartment mean something different in british/irish english or something?

Rag Doll
01-07-2010, 06:33 PM
wtf, how do you have an apartment in another country?? does apartment mean something different in british/irish english or something?

my friend's dad has an apartment in portugal for when it's too cold and miserable in new jersey...

Llamas
01-07-2010, 06:51 PM
my friend's dad has an apartment in portugal for when it's too cold and miserable in new jersey...

I'm sure it's somehow possible, but it seems like something that would be rare... and I thought Alison is a college student. I'm wondering how she went about it and how she's able to afford it, etc, etc. Plus I knew you could buy property in another country, but I didn't know for sure you could rent.

nieh
01-07-2010, 06:56 PM
She said "we", which I assumed meant her family, not just her.

drummerbecca
01-08-2010, 03:04 AM
Also, I don't know if it was the same situation with Alison's family as with mine, but we bought our house before Bulgaria joined the EU, so property was still relatively inexpensive then.

Llamas
01-08-2010, 04:12 AM
She said "we", which I assumed meant her family, not just her.

See, I took "we" to mean she and her boyfriend.

Alison
01-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Yeah, sorry, meant "we" as in my family. Like it's just one that we rent out most of the year, but we can use it whenever we want.