PDA

View Full Version : Going def?

offsrx
01-05-2010, 06:00 PM
What do you guys think about going def when you are playing drums/bass/guitar/singing on your rock band?
Cause those drums of mine are loud as hell! every time I play them, my ears are ringing.
Is it true that every rock musician is a little def?
Or after few gigs, our ears get used to that kind of sound pressure, and then it's ok.
Are Offspring def a little??

RageAndLov
01-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Many musicians that have been playing loud music over a long period of time eventually loses their capability to hear. I can't remember who it was, but some big rock star recently had to quit doing music because he was nearly deaf.

come out swinging
01-05-2010, 06:32 PM
ear muffs:D

RageAndLov
01-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Alternatively offsrx, use Q-tips.

nieh
01-05-2010, 07:38 PM
There's plenty of musicians out there that have become partially deaf and developed Tinnitis. Danny Elfman, Pete Townsend, James Hatfield, Lars Ulrich (that would explain the drum tone on St. Anger...) and lots of others.
I think it's pretty standard for most people that have been playing music for a long time to wear earplugs to reduce the strain on their ears.

DMelges
01-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Offsrx, even if you do eventually get def, use Beethoven as your example to follow. He became def very early in his life, and never quit music. He would even strap on a mouth piece to his piano, bite down on it while he was playing, to feel the vibrations of the notes. And even def, he composed his best work.

Little_Miss_1565
01-05-2010, 08:20 PM
http://bejacksfriend.com/blog/wp-content/deflepphoto.jpg

But seriously, everyone who plays music should wear earplugs. Good ones. Not those foam gumdrop things you get for free. I have some pretty decent ones that attenuate frequencies instead of making it sound like what you're listening to is underwater.

Gustavo
01-05-2010, 08:24 PM

This made me LOL.

Ryder1234
01-05-2010, 09:01 PM
I've already lost some hearing capabilities... it sucks. I can still hear everything perfectly, but I can't tell quiet from loud, so something quiet sounds quiet, but so does loud stuff. Apparently (according to quite a few friends), when I should be talking quiet like at night, I practically scream.

_Lost_
01-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Kev, talking loud at night can also be associated with tiredness. When it gets late, I tend to talk loud without realizing it. Do you really play your guitar that loud? I assume you don't use tube amps so volume isn't quite so necessary for practicing purposes. I don't even find the need to turn my amp up much for recording. Electric amps are nice in that you can get them to distort and such quite nicely, even at low volumes.

And if you play drums especially, wear earmuffs. The snare on drums is brutally painful to me.

There's plenty of musicians out there that have become partially deaf and developed Tinnitis. Danny Elfman, Pete Townsend, James Hatfield, Lars Ulrich (that would explain the drum tone on St. Anger...) and lots of others.
I think it's pretty standard for most people that have been playing music for a long time to wear earplugs to reduce the strain on their ears.

Pete Townsend lost most of the hearing in one ear because of Keith Moon's use of explosives on the set of a talk show. Roger Daltry is also nearly deaf. You can really hear it when he sings nowadays.

On stage volume now is not nearly what it used to be with improved PA systems and such. You should still try to wear earplugs when things get loud.

offsrx
01-06-2010, 12:11 PM

But seriously, everyone who plays music should wear earplugs. Good ones. Not those foam gumdrop things you get for free. I have some pretty decent ones that attenuate frequencies instead of making it sound like what you're listening to is underwater.

Little miss, do you mean on such thigns:
http://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Prigusivaci-zastita-za-usi--87675-oglas.htm
?

It's pretty much fucked up when I put earplugs, because, I don't feel like I'm in band while playing, do you know what I'm saying? It gives me feeling like I'm not playing with my friends, and It's really hard when I sing, cause i can't hear myself at all. Cymbals are for me the most ear damaging thing in rock band. My ears used to ring on my guitar amp, later on drums and cymbals, and after this gig that i had, I don't feel so much damage, so I guess I've damaged my ear little.
So my question is: those professional ear plugs, how they work? How does it feel when you're wearing them? Cause I see that these cheap ones that make me hear everything like it's underwater..?
And once damaged ears, do they restore their sensibility over time? Or once damaged, its unrepairable..?
Are the Offspring wearing any earplugs or not..?

offsrx
01-06-2010, 12:15 PM
I've already lost some hearing capabilities... it sucks. I can still hear everything perfectly, but I can't tell quiet from loud, so something quiet sounds quiet, but so does loud stuff. Apparently (according to quite a few friends), when I should be talking quiet like at night, I practically scream.

what did you do, when you have almost lost some hearing capabilities?
A rock band or what..?
You don't mind that?

Zee
01-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Are the Offspring wearing any earplugs or not..?

As you can see from the pictures, The Offspring isn't using IEM (in ear monitors), at least Dexter and Noodles aren't. They use the traditional monitors in front of them, and not any earplugs. Greg has some (monitor?)plugs in his ears, as well as Pete too of course. I was was watching The Offspring from the stage in Germany, and the sound didn't come out particularly loud.

I'm also a little worried about my hearing, because I must play every instrument and music so fucking loud that I get the good vibe going on. Especially on mp3 player.

Little_Miss_1565
01-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Little miss, do you mean on such thigns:
http://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Prigusivaci-zastita-za-usi--87675-oglas.htm
?

It's pretty much fucked up when I put earplugs, because, I don't feel like I'm in band while playing, do you know what I'm saying? It gives me feeling like I'm not playing with my friends, and It's really hard when I sing, cause i can't hear myself at all. Cymbals are for me the most ear damaging thing in rock band. My ears used to ring on my guitar amp, later on drums and cymbals, and after this gig that i had, I don't feel so much damage, so I guess I've damaged my ear little.
So my question is: those professional ear plugs, how they work? How does it feel when you're wearing them? Cause I see that these cheap ones that make me hear everything like it's underwater..?
And once damaged ears, do they restore their sensibility over time? Or once damaged, its unrepairable..?

Yeah, my earplugs look like that. I can still hear everything just fine onstage -- even enough that I can sing harmonies with ease despite standing between two full drum kits, so long as there's a monitor pointed at me. They feel like I have something in my ear, but my ears don't ring after a show. I wear them when I go to concerts too. It sounds more like you're turning the volume down on the band rather than muffling everything out like with the foam earplugs.

Once your hearing is damaged, it's damaged for good -- it doesn't heal.

mrconeman
01-06-2010, 01:58 PM
Good advice from 1565. I've been gigging/practicing with my band now for a good...ehh...4/5 months or so, and after having met a bunch of other musicians on the circuit who are basically deaf, I've been scared into wanting some decent earplugs, havent gotten round to buying them yet, but it's definitely on my list, hearing is the last thing I want to lose.

Llamas
01-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Seriously, the ear plugs. I've destroyed my ears over the years. I sat in the front row of a 300 piece band whose decibel output was higher than that of a jet engine for three years, in addition to going to rock concerts and often standing in front of the speakers (which was less painful, but I'm sure didn't help my hearing). DO NOT let your ears get messed up. I went deaf in my left ear for 6 months in 2008 because of this, and my right ear hears below average (my left ear is right at average when I'm not deaf in it). I've visited audiologists and such, and there is absolutely nothing that can be done to reverse these effects.

In order to make sure my ears don't get worse, I eventually got some really nice earplugs through some audiologists who specialized in saving the hearing of musicians. They are similar to the kind offsrx linked, but they look more like these http://www.odec.ca/projects/2006/mcph6m2/earplugs.jpg

As others have said, I can still hear everything crisp and clear... nothing is muddled and tone quality is preserved; it's just quieter. Those things are amazing.

Ryder1234
01-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Kev, talking loud at night can also be associated with tiredness. When it gets late, I tend to talk loud without realizing it. Do you really play your guitar that loud? I assume you don't use tube amps so volume isn't quite so necessary for practicing purposes. I don't even find the need to turn my amp up much for recording. Electric amps are nice in that you can get them to distort and such quite nicely, even at low volumes.

Could be part of it, but they always are able to talk at a normal level, such that I can't hear them at times.

I only started playing my guitar that loud because my amp seems to sound bad with distortion until you reach about 5 or 6. That's where it sounds good, so I always set it to that, and then the music I play along to at the same level.

Rooster
01-06-2010, 05:04 PM
I don't even find the need to turn my amp up much for recording.

Now that you mention this, it's better if you record at lower volume. If you record too loud (not just guitars, anything) you'll get clipped waveform and therefore unwanted distortion. Rather record it quietly, you can always turn the volume up during the mixing stage.

Anyway, is it just me or do any of you find it weird when you're playing with ear plugs on? It's ok when you just have to play guitar, but when you also have to sing it all becomes tricky. When i tried it on one of my band's rehearsals i fucked everything up, because as soon as i started singing i didn't hear what i was playing anymore. I ended up pulling the ear plugs out of my ears and continue without them.

Any advice what kind of ear plugs i should get?

Ryder1234
01-06-2010, 05:20 PM
I record quiet, just not when I'm playing for fun.

Rooster
01-06-2010, 05:29 PM
I record quiet, just not when I'm playing for fun.

That's different, when you're playing for fun it doesn't really matter how loud you turn up your amp... Unless it's so loud that all the windows i the radium of 3 kilometers around your home start shattering.

dexter12296566
01-06-2010, 06:07 PM
after playing drums I developed tinitis9i dont know how to spell it) in my right ear but not bad. after that i wore earplugs. tinitis will cause ringing in your ears but mine is not bad so it is only after being exposed to loud sounds. Alot of musicians do lose their hearing but seeing them(offspring i mean) talk to people in interviews they seem to be able to hear okay

Little_Miss_1565
01-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Anyway, is it just me or do any of you find it weird when you're playing with ear plugs on? It's ok when you just have to play guitar, but when you also have to sing it all becomes tricky.

Yup, just you --

Yeah, my earplugs look like that. I can still hear everything just fine onstage -- even enough that I can sing harmonies with ease despite standing between two full drum kits

Get a decent pair. Earlove or Hearos make good ones.

offsrx
01-07-2010, 03:36 AM
Offsrx, even if you do eventually get def, use Beethoven as your example to follow. He became def very early in his life, and never quit music. He would even strap on a mouth piece to his piano, bite down on it while he was playing, to feel the vibrations of the notes. And even def, he composed his best work.

You're not helping at all! :D

Now that you mention this, it's better if you record at lower volume. If you record too loud (not just guitars, anything) you'll get clipped waveform and therefore unwanted distortion. Rather record it quietly, you can always turn the volume up during the mixing stage.

Anyway, is it just me or do any of you find it weird when you're playing with ear plugs on? It's ok when you just have to play guitar, but when you also have to sing it all becomes tricky. When i tried it on one of my band's rehearsals i fucked everything up, because as soon as i started singing i didn't hear what i was playing anymore. I ended up pulling the ear plugs out of my ears and continue without them.

Any advice what kind of ear plugs i should get?

Pay attention on discussion and re-read the whole thread, and u'll get your answer.

offsrx
01-07-2010, 03:37 AM
As you can see from the pictures, The Offspring isn't using IEM (in ear monitors), at least Dexter and Noodles aren't. They use the traditional monitors in front of them, and not any earplugs. Greg has some (monitor?)plugs in his ears, as well as Pete too of course. I was was watching The Offspring from the stage in Germany, and the sound didn't come out particularly loud.

I'm also a little worried about my hearing, because I must play every instrument and music so fucking loud that I get the good vibe going on. Especially on mp3 player.

Yeah, indeed. So how come Dexter and noodles have preserved their hearing capability, when they are not using any kind of earplugs? So Pete is wearing IEM, or earplugs? Same question for Greg K.

You should turn down your Mp3 player. I know that when you turn up volume, it's a better feeling, but you don't have to turn it that much, all the time.

Yeah, my earplugs look like that. I can still hear everything just fine onstage -- even enough that I can sing harmonies with ease despite standing between two full drum kits, so long as there's a monitor pointed at me. They feel like I have something in my ear, but my ears don't ring after a show. I wear them when I go to concerts too. It sounds more like you're turning the volume down on the band rather than muffling everything out like with the foam earplugs.

Once your hearing is damaged, it's damaged for good -- it doesn't heal.

The thing is that I don't have monitor. None of us have, we are not that much of professionals, and we don't have money for monitors. But I guess that ether way, earplugs will make me same effect, so I'll have to buy them. Thanks to everyone on their posts, because now I'm more aware of going def and how that shit is dangerous. So now on my buying list, next thing will be :" EARPLUGS". As soon as i get some damn money.

offsrx
01-07-2010, 04:59 AM
Get a decent pair. Earlove or Hearos make good ones.

Little miss, thanks for great advices, "I owe my ears to you":D
hahaha.

So are there more manufactures or just those two? So that I know what am I looking for, and who has better product.

Llamas
01-07-2010, 05:19 AM

I don't consider 30 years old "very early" in his life Hell, he didn't even live to be 60... he was already middle aged when he went deaf! :P

Anyway, I wouldn't compare Beethoven to the situations being discussed in this thread... he went deaf because he was incredibly filthy and unclean, and he also contracted a number of STDs... he had so many diseases that deafness was only one of the many resulting problems.

By the way, I'm really confused why people keep talking about how you can't hear yourself sing when you're wearing earplugs... it's scientific fact that you hear yourself far better with earplugs in, because you hear your voice at its purest through the sound vibrating through bone directly to your eardrums than you do by having it first travel through air. There's a reason that wind players plug their ears while tuning their instruments...

mrconeman
01-07-2010, 06:54 AM
Llama'd.

Yeah, I was wondering about the singing comments myself, it's like when singers press a finger against their ear so they can hear their voice in its pure form rather than coming out of a p.a system or whatever, to help hit those tricky notes. You'd hear your voice better with something in your ear oddly enough.

Little_Miss_1565
01-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Llamas, true. I actually hear myself better -- not just vocals, but my bass cab too -- because all the crud frequencies are filtered out.

So are there more manufactures or just those two? So that I know what am I looking for, and who has better product.

There are more, but those two make earplugs that I think are the best value -- about $10 for a quality set.

offsrx
01-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Llamas, true. I actually hear myself better -- not just vocals, but my bass cab too -- because all the crud frequencies are filtered out.

There are more, but those two make earplugs that I think are the best value -- about $10 for a quality set.

My God! Thank you for saying what price are they, cause these earplugs
http://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Prigusivaci-zastita-za-usi--87675-oglas.htm could have cost me 43$!
Jesus Christ, people are such thieves..

Little_Miss_1565
01-07-2010, 08:24 AM
http://earlove.net/index1.html

offsrx
01-07-2010, 09:18 AM
after playing drums I developed tinitis9i dont know how to spell it) in my right ear but not bad. after that i wore earplugs. tinitis will cause ringing in your ears but mine is not bad so it is only after being exposed to loud sounds. Alot of musicians do lose their hearing but seeing them(offspring i mean) talk to people in interviews they seem to be able to hear okay

As for yo, you suffered http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus, and as i see that is some serious shit!:eek:
You should get medical attention..

And these kind of ear muffs I have:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ear_muff_white_bg.jpg , mine ones are orange color:D

Zee
01-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Yeah, indeed. So how come Dexter and noodles have preserved their hearing capability, when they are not using any kind of earplugs? So Pete is wearing IEM, or earplugs? Same question for Greg K.

That's a good question, after all they've been playing now over 20 years... I don't know how they proceed it at their early stage of the career (smaller places, more noisy), but nowadays you can clearly see that Dexter and Noodles has none. Check out this vid, there you can see that Greg and Pete are placing the ear monitos but Dex and Noodles aren't. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOxYrfYzkmI

I guess they're both ear monitors, because they muffle the sound around at the same and you can set up the volume and mixing just as you want. I guess Greg uses it for the backing vocals.

The Offspring seems to be old-school guys and like to enjoy the music at most natural. Just monitors, no earplugs. I bet that gives the most energy. An artist of Sunrise Avenue told that he often takes the left earplug (monitor) off so that he can sense the true spirit of the live gig. Some stuff in your ears will always mess it up a little, I guess. :P But then it's a question of choise do you still want to be able to hear at the older age...

PS. when I saw them playing from the stage and and when the mixer put ther "super-clear sounds on" on the stage (let's call it that) it was amazing! They played so well, sounded just like on the albums. And the sound, holy shit. It was too bad that they only let that hear like 10-30 seconds of few songs. Prolly just checked just some stuff with that sound on stage.

offsrx
01-08-2010, 05:22 PM
I found this very interesting, so I want you to check it.

http://earlove.net/safe.html

It's from that Earlove site, a table of noises and how much Decibel's create sounds that we're always surrounded. Cool thing, huh?

offsrx
01-08-2010, 05:36 PM
That's a good question, after all they've been playing now over 20 years... I don't know how they proceed it at their early stage of the career (smaller places, more noisy), but nowadays you can clearly see that Dexter and Noodles has none. Check out this vid, there you can see that Greg and Pete are placing the ear monitos but Dex and Noodles aren't. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOxYrfYzkmI

I guess they're both ear monitors, because they muffle the sound around at the same and you can set up the volume and mixing just as you want. I guess Greg uses it for the backing vocals.

The Offspring seems to be old-school guys and like to enjoy the music at most natural. Just monitors, no earplugs. I bet that gives the most energy. An artist of Sunrise Avenue told that he often takes the left earplug (monitor) off so that he can sense the true spirit of the live gig. Some stuff in your ears will always mess it up a little, I guess. :P But then it's a question of choise do you still want to be able to hear at the older age...

PS. when I saw them playing from the stage and and when the mixer put ther "super-clear sounds on" on the stage (let's call it that) it was amazing! They played so well, sounded just like on the albums. And the sound, holy shit. It was too bad that they only let that hear like 10-30 seconds of few songs. Prolly just checked just some stuff with that sound on stage.

Well i found it reasonable when Greg puts IEM, because his bass guitar has to be amplified and to make a sound. But how does it muffs drums? Pete is using IEM (as seen on that yahoo video), but drums are freaking LOUD!
But maybe then his IEM only transmit all other instruments, except drums?
I don't know that..
A lot of musicians use IEM(James Hetfield, Lars Urlich etc.), and my friend told me that IEM are 10 times better that standard monitors. But it doesn't matter.

Where have you seen them on stage with "super-clear sounds on"? On a club show, or open air?
Yeah I bet they sound ass kicking. Maybe some day they'll start using more often that "super-clear sounds on" :rolleyes:
Anyways, I found thin on wikipedia. Not Offspring related, but about noise:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudest_band_in_the_world

And do you think guys that I should ask Dexter that question? In "Ask Dexter holand question" thread? Maybe He'll give answer...?

dexter12296566
01-08-2010, 07:23 PM
As for yo, you suffered http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus, and as i see that is some serious shit!:eek:
You should get medical attention..

And these kind of ear muffs I have:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ear_muff_white_bg.jpg , mine ones are orange color:D

well i have severe allergies and mine is not that bad also when i was five i got a bead from a bracelet stuck in my right ear and i had to get it removed thru medical procedure

_Lost_
01-09-2010, 09:00 AM
I only started playing my guitar that loud because my amp seems to sound bad with distortion until you reach about 5 or 6. That's where it sounds good, so I always set it to that, and then the music I play along to at the same level.
Then point it at the wall.

AGH! There are so many things you are missing in this. There are soooo many things that you can't do with a recording program. Just turning the volume of the track up can't replace tonal things that are important. Sounds that amps make can't be reproduced by a computer. They just can't. They can try, but it'll never sound the same. If you are getting clipping, than just turn down the mic sensitivity. Then you can have a decent volume to produce proper distortion. When trying to mix Rise and Fall, I kept thinking to myself "why does this track sound bad? Its not the playing. Its not the quality." Turns out his amp was turned down too low to prevent clipping so the distortion didn't sound good. Volume does not equal clipping.

T-6005
01-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Going....

http://mixcraftmedia.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/mos-def.jpg

Mos Def?