PDA

View Full Version : Queens of the Stone Age

BandWithoutAName
01-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Anyone else like QOTSA? I absolutley love them. I have all their cds.

Little_Miss_1565
01-05-2010, 08:35 PM
I love everything Josh Homme has touched (except Them Crooked Vultures). Last time I was out near Joshua Tree National Park, I was hoping to run into Josh and Brody so that I could convince them to adopt me.

nieh
01-05-2010, 08:58 PM
(except Them Crooked Vultures).

Pfft, that album is still awesome.

Superdope
01-06-2010, 02:37 AM
yes, yes and yes.

Their first album was the best of the last decade. Even though it came out in the decade before it.

That's how good it is

holland25
01-06-2010, 02:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxnTEhuhdTI

nameless
01-06-2010, 04:03 PM
ive only heard one track by them crooked vultures and as much as i wanted to, i couldnt really get into it!

BandWithoutAName
01-06-2010, 04:15 PM
I love everything Josh Homme has touched (except Them Crooked Vultures). Last time I was out near Joshua Tree National Park, I was hoping to run into Josh and Brody so that I could convince them to adopt me.

I love TCV, I got their debut cd on normal cd and on double vinyl :p

I don't really like The Dessert Sessions that much, but I love Kyuss.

Little_Miss_1565
01-06-2010, 08:02 PM
I had major hopes for TCV -- I mean, fuuuuck, a trio that consists of three rhythm players and Josh on vocals -- but meh. Bored nao.

Josh's work with Mark Lanegan in Screaming Trees post-Kyuss was epic.

BandWithoutAName
01-07-2010, 02:53 PM

You might enjoy this then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2sfatZU-Wc

nieh
01-07-2010, 03:04 PM
I had major hopes for TCV -- I mean, fuuuuck, a trio that consists of three rhythm players and Josh on vocals -- but meh. Bored nao.

But it basically sounds like QOTSA after going on a a Zeppelin binge (hell 3/4 of the line-up has been in QOTSA at one time or another). What were you expecting from them? And did Josh actually play on any of the Screaming Trees albums? I don't think I've heard anything by them.
Anyway, Kyuss are pretty cool, but I wish they had a better singer. The Desert Sessions are really neat, but I hardly ever get the urge to listen to them. I've never actually heard more than a few Eagles of Death Metal songs, but they seemed fun. I still need to get the first QOTSA album at some point, but I have everything else of theirs and like it all to varying degrees.

Superdope
01-07-2010, 03:14 PM
The Desert Sessions have some high highs and some mediocre lows. Rickshaw and Johnny the Boy among others, could easily have been QotSA songs, so you can't really complain about them.

And I'm pretty sure Homme didn't do any album work with the Screaming Trees. He did, however provide guitars for Lanegans soloalbum Bubblegum.

chicapowerpunk
01-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Anyone else like QOTSA? I absolutley love them. I have all their cds.

I suppose that you love te "lullabies to paralize"...;)
My favourite song is "Little Sister",i love the projects of Josh Homme!!!!!

icklebabygremlin
01-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Queens of the stone are amazing, really amazing thats all that needs to be said

BandWithoutAName
01-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Queens of the stone are amazing, really amazing thats all that needs to be said

Well said.

Little_Miss_1565
01-07-2010, 11:53 PM
You might enjoy this then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2sfatZU-Wc

<3 looooove

And I'm pretty sure Homme didn't do any album work with the Screaming Trees.

No, he didn't. He did, however, tour.

nieh
02-03-2010, 01:08 PM
So, what are some good Screaming Trees and/or Mark Lanegan albums worth checking out. I'm only familiar with his work with QOTSA.

Autonomist
02-03-2010, 11:38 PM
The best Screaming Trees albums would include Sweet Oblivion and Uncle Anesthesia. Mark Lanegan also does the majority of vocals on the recent Soulsavers album Broken, which also features Mike Patton and Jason Pierce among some others. I like all of them because Lanegan's voice is indeniably awesome.

Better Living Through Chemistry and Auto Pilot are also two of the best songs evarrrrrrrrr.

Superdope
02-04-2010, 03:09 AM
So, what are some good Screaming Trees and/or Mark Lanegan albums worth checking out. I'm only familiar with his work with QOTSA.

You should check out Bubblegum and Field Songs, for his solo work. It's more folk and acoustic than his work with Screaming Trees, though.

nieh
02-04-2010, 09:03 AM
I found a used copy of Bubblegum and downloaded a handful of Screaming Trees albums since I couldn't find any in the stores near me. So far they seem pretty sweet.

P.S. Apparently the s/t QOTSA album is out of print and selling for anywhere between $40-100 on Amazon. Sucks because I've been trying to get my hands on it for a while and didn't realize that. I remember seeing copies of it when I bought their other albums and putting off getting it for some reason or another. I just downloaded it last night and listened to it for the first time this morning and it sounds a lot more like Kyuss with Homme singing (why him and Nick didn't sing during their tenure in Kyuss is beyond me, they're infinitely more engaging than the guy that did) than it does typical QOTSA. Pretty good stuff.

Superdope
02-04-2010, 09:46 AM
I found a used copy of Bubblegum and downloaded a handful of Screaming Trees albums since I couldn't find any in the stores near me. So far they seem pretty sweet.

P.S. Apparently the s/t QOTSA album is out of print and selling for anywhere between $40-100 on Amazon. Sucks because I've been trying to get my hands on it for a while and didn't realize that. I remember seeing copies of it when I bought their other albums and putting off getting it for some reason or another. I just downloaded it last night and listened to it for the first time this morning and it sounds a lot more like Kyuss with Homme singing (why him and Nick didn't sing during their tenure in Kyuss is beyond me, they're infinitely more engaging than the guy that did) than it does typical QOTSA. Pretty good stuff.

Homme is actually re-releasing it, with some unreleased rarities from that time period. He was working on remastering during the recording of TCV's debut album, so who knows when it will see the light of day.

Llamas
02-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I like the qotsa song that's in Rock Band. I know, I know.

Honestly, they're one of those bands that the cards have been stacked against for me. I hate the singer's stage persona, I hate the band's name, I hate their music videos... what songs I've heard I liked, but the negative things* I guess have subconsciously prevented me from really checking them out. I should probably force myself to get past that someday and actually give them a listen... I hear good things about them.

*Oh yeah... I was a pretty big Rancid fan when Brody left Tim for Josh... that gave me a negative taste before I even knew who QOTSA was.

nieh
02-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Shouldn't you have held that against Brody though and not Josh? She was the one that left Tim.

Little_Miss_1565
02-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Shouldn't you have held that against Brody though and not Josh? She was the one that left Tim.

+1

But what, should she have stayed in a relationship she wasn't happy in? Are you now the same person you were when you were 16, which is how old she was when she met Tim?

But dude, srsly. Josh is a stone cold fox.

nieh
02-04-2010, 09:36 PM

Aww, shucks.

Llamas
02-05-2010, 01:27 AM
+1

But what, should she have stayed in a relationship she wasn't happy in? Are you now the same person you were when you were 16, which is how old she was when she met Tim?

Most Rancid fans had the idea that Josh was an asshole to Tim and seduced Brody to get back at Tim. I don't know, but I also remember hating Brody. I was young then and pretty naive. I didn't say that I still hate Josh for it, but that it just gave me a negative impression that just was built upon for year.

nieh
02-05-2010, 07:46 AM
Most Rancid fans had the idea that Josh was an asshole to Tim and seduced Brody to get back at Tim. I don't know, but I also remember hating Brody. I was young then and pretty naive. I didn't say that I still hate Josh for it, but that it just gave me a negative impression that just was built upon for year.

Shy of Josh clubbing Brody over the head and dragging her back to his cave, Josh couldn't have done anything if Brody didn't want to do it too. I'm sure the two of them had their kid just to spite Tim as well.

T-6005
02-05-2010, 08:34 AM

I generally disagree.

I really like the music he's involved in, for the most part - but Josh Homme, at least in all of his interviews and onstage, is a giant asshole.

nieh
02-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Am I the only one that feels like his stage persona is at least slightly tongue in cheek? I mean, he's probably fairly arrogant and egotistical but I always was under the impression he was intentionally playing it up.

Llamas
02-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Shy of Josh clubbing Brody over the head and dragging her back to his cave, Josh couldn't have done anything if Brody didn't want to do it too. I'm sure the two of them had their kid just to spite Tim as well.

I was young then and pretty naive. I didn't say that I still hate Josh for it, but that it just gave me a negative impression that just was built upon for year.

Are you talking to me? Cuz... I thought I made it *pretty* clear that I don't still think that...

Little_Miss_1565
02-05-2010, 10:20 PM
I generally disagree.

I really like the music he's involved in, for the most part - but Josh Homme, at least in all of his interviews and onstage, is a giant asshole.

Who knows, he might be. But he is hot. This is fact.

Llamas, yes, it is clear this is not something you still feel, though it would appear that you do still have lingering resentments associated with Josh Homme from this experience.

What makes me nuts about your story, though, is that it implicitly supports the idea that women are shrinking violets powerless against the cad-like seductions of guys like Josh. That she wouldn't have had any agency over the decision to leave her husband. And I know this is just borne out of the love of a band -- it's a lot easier to blame Josh and Brody than to consider the idea that being married to Tim wouldn't be the ultimate life-fulfilling experience. Which I don't think is a healthy attitude to have about a band. Like the people on these forums that have a blind, vitriolic hatred of Green Day because they see GD as the Offspring's main "competition."

Llamas
02-06-2010, 03:33 AM
Who knows, he might be. But he is hot. This is fact.
I definitely disagree with this, lol. But well, personal taste is personal taste. :P He kinda makes himself look like such a greasy douche in my opinion, though, haha.

I think his stage persona is, well, just that - a stage persona. I doubt the shit he says is said in full seriousness, or that he really is that big of a dick in real life. But I can't dig his sense of humor - all the anti-gay jokes are really fucking obnoxious and not funny. :-/

Llamas, yes, it is clear this is not something you still feel, though it would appear that you do still have lingering resentments associated with Josh Homme from this experience.

What makes me nuts about your story, though, is that it implicitly supports the idea that women are shrinking violets powerless against the cad-like seductions of guys like Josh. That she wouldn't have had any agency over the decision to leave her husband. And I know this is just borne out of the love of a band -- it's a lot easier to blame Josh and Brody than to consider the idea that being married to Tim wouldn't be the ultimate life-fulfilling experience. Which I don't think is a healthy attitude to have about a band. Like the people on these forums that have a blind, vitriolic hatred of Green Day because they see GD as the Offspring's main "competition."

Well, I think I may disagree with this. Of course a woman can make up her own mind, and dudes don't have this amazing seduction power that women are powerless to. But anyone can fall victim to seduction - men can seduce women, women can seduce men. If the genders had been reversed - had a man left a woman for another woman - 16 year old me probably would've been angry at not only the man who left, but the woman who I thought seduced him. Because yeah, it was stupid blind loyalty to the band I liked. The point of view is stupid, and I would never think the same way now, but it has nothing to do with genders or who has what powers, y'know?

Basically, that whole situation just gave me an initially bad taste in my mouth from the beginning... then came more logical/real reasons I didn't like them, which were probably supplemented by the original (albeit illogical) first impression. I could definitely get past the Tim/Brody shit now, and past the fact that I hate their music videos... and, well, the fact that I hate their band's name, haha... but Josh's stage persona really grates on me anytime I've tried to watch live stuff. That's the part I actually can't get past.

bouncingcoles
02-11-2010, 08:49 PM
i saw QOTSA open for NIN in 05 but i wasnt really into it

Stza
02-11-2010, 08:52 PM
i saw QOTSA open for NIN in 05 but i wasnt really into it

I'm not really into you.

findout5
02-12-2010, 04:13 AM
I like when Josh uses the word cocksmoker! :)

Llamas
02-20-2010, 08:14 AM
So I'm listening to Go With the Flow right now... and I think I'm gonna give this band a fair chance. Which album should I start with?

Superdope
02-20-2010, 08:50 AM
So I'm listening to Go With the Flow right now... and I think I'm gonna give this band a fair chance. Which album should I start with?

Songs for the Deaf (which has Go with the Flow on it) would be a great place to start. The I'd go with either Lullabies to Paralyze or their self-titled debut. Doesn't matter what you do afterwards. You will be hooked.

nieh
02-20-2010, 10:16 AM
I'd agree on Songs for the Deaf. For the record, I always find that their albums tend to have just a few immediately hooky songs, but the rest tend to grow on you, so give it a few spins before you judge.

Superdope
02-20-2010, 11:43 AM
I'd agree on Songs for the Deaf. For the record, I always find that their albums tend to have just a few immediately hooky songs, but the rest tend to grow on you, so give it a few spins before you judge.

This is especially true for Songs for the Deaf, actually, so that's some good advice.

Llamas
02-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Cool, another friend also recommended Songs for the Deaf, so I'm gonna check that one out. I always give every album 4-5 listens before I make a final decision (unless it's really truly shit), so the catchiness thing won't be a problem. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Little_Miss_1565
02-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Songs for the Deaf is pretty epic ("First it Giveth" especially), but "No One Knows" is my all-time favorite so I'd recommend the self-titled album next.

nieh
02-21-2010, 02:03 PM
"No One Knows" is off Songs for the Deaf as well.

Little_Miss_1565
02-21-2010, 02:36 PM
HAHA. My bad, I done fucked up my iTunes library.

T-6005
02-21-2010, 03:51 PM
I'd have recommended Lullabies to Paralyze first, personally.

Llamas
02-28-2010, 11:41 AM
So I downloaded Songs for the Deaf, and I'm listening now. I'm only on track two, but I'd just like to mention that I've always really liked No One Knows, but I never knew who it was by or what it was called. So now there are three qotsa songs I like (No One Knows, 3s and 7s, and Go With the Flow)... I'm well on my way ;)

nieh
02-14-2011, 09:22 PM
So, the debut is being re-released next month, and to celebrate, the band is going on tour playing the whole thing in its entirety.

Omni
02-18-2011, 02:43 PM
So. Now that a year has passed, what's your decision, llamas?

motamele
02-24-2011, 01:29 AM
i absolutelly love them , every band in wich josh homme was is GREAT

Kyuss
Queens of the stone age
Eagles of death metal

and of course the best of all THEM CROOKED VULTURES

Superdope
02-25-2011, 04:11 AM
So, the debut is being re-released next month, and to celebrate, the band is going on tour playing the whole thing in its entirety.

Yeah, and they're heading my way, but since moving out, tickets + transportation is something I can't afford :-(

There are only so many men in back alleys that I can service, and they hate to pay twice a day.

Peter Perve
02-25-2011, 07:42 AM
There ist nothing but Kyuss, unfortunately there are no more :-(

Peter

Rooster
02-25-2011, 07:52 AM
There ist nothing but Kyuss, unfortunately there are no more :-(

Peter

You know, they have reunited under the moniker Kyuss Lives!, though Josh Homme is not involved in the project. I do hope he returns eventually.

They'll do an European tour (i have tentative plans to go to one of their gigs), and also a new album.

And speaking of Kyuss, i've recently got a hold of their Blues For The Red Sun album, on 180g vinyl, high quality pressing (aka audiophile edition). Lucky me :)