PDA

View Full Version : Everyone on AIM thinks I'm a negative dick

Al Coholic
01-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Sometimes we say things in jest so as to fuck with our freinds. Sometimes the lack of voice tone make it sound like you're in a bad mood when you're actually the opposite. But at some point or another, everyone's told me I sound like an asshole online or in text messages.

The thing is though, joking around with your freinds is a subtle thing. They know you're doing it, so you don't have to come out and say "JUST KIDDING GUYS HAHAHAHAHA". I don't use emoticons. I don't say gay ass shit like "jaykay" or "lol" at the end of a sentence to let people know I'm fucking with them. So a lot of times I'm taken seriously. Sometimes I'm just making a comment that without subtleties in my voice tone, make me sound like I'm being heavily critical when I'm not. At the end of it all I just look like a negative douche.

What do you do?

Harleyquiiinn
01-06-2010, 09:12 AM
I use smileys a lot because about 80% of what I say is ironic and if I don't, I end up hurting feelings of people I don't want to hurt. And that creates fights and arguments that I don't always understand because it is so clear in my head and I am far from being mean.

Sometimes the smileys are not enough... I remember a misunderstanding with Blitz here that was settled on the chat ;) (by the way, what happened to Reamwolf ?)

2 days ago, a similar thing happened with a good friend... I thought it was obvious that I was joking but it turned out it wasn't.

So now, if I'm posting something I know could be considered as very negative if taken seriously, I say that I am not serious. Which is sad because it decreases the value of the joke...

but it's very hard to know how people see you on the Internet.

RageAndLov
01-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Kind of depends who you're talking to. Sometimes I have to add a :p at the end of the sentence, and sometimes I know they understand that I'm joking or being sarcastic.

Apathy
01-06-2010, 10:24 AM
I used to have this problem as I am also opposed to emoticons and lol's. I've evolved to the point where I can place a "haha" at the end of something as to suggest that it may not be serious.

wheelchairman
01-06-2010, 10:29 AM
In text-messages or on instant-messengers I use smileys if I think there is a risk that the receiver will misunderstand.

There problem solved, it was that simple.

Lizardus
01-06-2010, 10:38 AM
You should start hanging out with more positrons.

SweetTatyana
01-06-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm the same as apathy, I'll just write haha to indicate that I am joking.
One thing you might want to watch for is to make sure things you are joking about arent below the belt or would make a particular person upset.

_Lost_
01-06-2010, 11:03 AM
I use lol a lot in text messages, aim, and facebook. Here, not so much. Mainly because people like to argue via text online or phone. Annoying. If I'm gonna piss a friend off, I wanna do it to their face so I don't have to put up with a lot of capital letters, angry emoticons, and exclamation points. It takes far too long and you can't hit them if they won't stfu about it.

Blitz!
01-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Sometimes the smileys are not enough... I remember a misunderstanding with Blitz here that was settled on the chat ;)

Yeah, I remember that :p
I find when people know eachother, then they know when you are messing about ... with the above misunderstanding, it was early days. Today I would probably react completely different.

I use smileys, lol and hahaha generally when I post, text or use instant messenger but sometimes when I'm being serious, I don't use them at all.

Llamas
01-06-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm the kind of person who sort of acts different around different people. I have friends who can take the shit and dish it right back... and I have really sensitive, unseasoned friends who never, ever get it. The friends who don't get it miss out on the benefits of my humor :P Or I use "lol" or some faces. Sometimes I wonder why I'm even friends with the people who can't take it, but then I realize there are other aspects to friendship, haha.

Harleyquiiinn
01-06-2010, 02:35 PM
I wanna do it to their face so I don't have to put up with a lot of capital letters, angry emoticons, and exclamation points. It takes far too long and you can't hit them if they won't stfu about it.

Am I the only one who thinks that the angry emoticon never did its job ? I never never, not once, used the angry emoticon because I was angry. I used it to show that I was joking about being angry. When I am really mad at someone, it seems completely ridiculous to use emoticons. When I'm angry, I make short sentences and end my sentences with a "." which I don't normally do on the Internet. Except on forums of course.

It's like the crying emoticon. "Oh what you said really made sad, here is a crying emoticon to show you... because I am so sad but I'd rather stay on MSN and keep talking than disconnect and cry".

Paint_It_Black
01-07-2010, 12:07 AM
There problem solved, it was that simple.

I don't think he really considered it a problem. He seemed to be just curious.

I'm the kind of person who sort of acts different around different people.

In real life or just online? I do it a lot in real life, and then shit gets weird when I'm around a group of people that I usually interact with on an individual basis.

Anyway, back on topic, I will use a "haha" or maybe even a smiley, depending on the situation and who I am communicating with. One of the things I used to love about this bbs was that hardly anybody seemed to feel the need to make it obvious they were joking. We were vicious and didn't particularly care if it was taken seriously or not. I'm amused by how most of us have mellowed now.

RickyCrack
01-07-2010, 05:21 AM
lol and jaykay should be necessary in everybodies vocabulary. and don't spell lol out, say it phonetically, or else you said it wrong.

Llamas
01-07-2010, 05:23 AM
In real life or just online? I do it a lot in real life, and then shit gets weird when I'm around a group of people that I usually interact with on an individual basis.

Mostly online, but a little bit in real life, too. But it's so much easier to convey tone and everything in real life, so I can say my normal shit in person and people generally know what's going on (unless they're not american... I run into problems with non-native speakers a lot :P)

Paint_It_Black
01-07-2010, 07:33 AM
and don't spell lol out, say it phonetically, or else you said it wrong.

It took me a moment to understand what you were getting at there. Does anyone really spell it out? Dear god say it aint so.