PDA

View Full Version : it's like a series of tubes

Llamas
01-09-2010, 07:30 PM
So my laptop is three years old now, and it's been running increasingly slower for the last year. I don't think that's normal, and I think there's a problem with the fan... but with such an old computer, I feel it's probably not worth it to get it fixed. It's probably a better investment to buy a new computer.

I hope to afford a new computer by summer, but this time I won't have my friend with me to tell me which ones he thinks are best... and my knowledge about current computers is severely lacking. So I'm asking advice.

Before anyone says anything, I have to say that I do not like the Mac OS. I wouldn't mind owning an Apple laptop, but only if I was able to run Windows on it. Please don't try to convince me mac is better, or get into arguments...

Oh, and I like smaller/lighter weight computers (my current one has a 10" screen).

Jebus
01-09-2010, 07:47 PM
What laptop model do you have now specifically? What's your price range?

Oh, and I like smaller/lighter weight computers (my current one has a 10" screen).
so you want a netbook?

Llamas
01-09-2010, 07:57 PM
I have a Toshiba Satellite M115. My price range is around $700, but if I have the money, I'm willing to spend maybe $800 or so.

Netbook? Hmm, maybe my screen is bigger than 10"... yeah I just looked it up, it's 14" :P

Jebus
01-09-2010, 10:12 PM
If you don't mind the 15.4 screen, the specs on this laptop for $650 are actually better than some of the $800 ones.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115675&Tpk=AS5739G-6959

If you want to do some gaming, it surprisingly has a decent graphics card that some of the more expensive laptops don't have. Even without it, it would still be the cheapest laptop with a core 2 duo 2.2ghz cpu.

Llamas
01-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Are Acers reliable? I've always avoided them because they seem sorta cheap-like. Do you have this laptop?

Jebus
01-09-2010, 11:14 PM
No, I don't have it. I'm just judging by the specs. Generally I wouldn't worry too much about the brand unless you're looking at high end stuff though.

I found this 2007 quality chart from pcworld if it makes you feel any more assured.
http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8084/pcworldchartpy0.gif
Here's a poll from some forum.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=30960

Llamas
01-09-2010, 11:25 PM
I have had alot of work with computers (desktops&laptops) and if you want I could help you out with you're computer.

Well first, three years is'nt that old for a computer, it's actully a pretty good age.:)

Second,Whatever is wrong with it probly is'nt something that you need to get fixed by enyone, If it is slow it is a sign that etheir the computer might have a virus or the memery is just too full.

So what I suggest is before looking for a new laptop is to just deleat the "cookies" on it and run a qiuck virus scan. (if you're computer does have a virus it should be able to fix itself)

I've reinstalled the OS in addition to running hundreds of virus scans, so it's definitely not a virus or anything. Memory is a problem, I think... how do you fix that?

Jebus
01-09-2010, 11:33 PM
Here's something more recent.
http://www.lebokov21.com/2009/11/20/asus-tops-laptop-reliability-research/
http://www.lebokov21.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/laptop_reliability.JPG

This doesn't have good video card, but it's Asus if you're worried about build quality.
http://1toppc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=K40IJ-D2&Category_Code=AS14&Product_Count=1

disclaimer_07
01-10-2010, 03:09 AM
They say Dells are pretty good and reliable. I've heard people complain a lot about HPs and even the chart above seems to confirm that. I have an Asus and it's crap as well, it's running slower and slower just like yours (it's almost 2 years old, but it's been like that for a few months now) and even reinstalling the OS won't help. I would probably get a Dell if I were you, also Toshiba > Asus imo. Anyway, the choice is up to you and you can never be sure your laptop is gonna be flawless no matter what brand/model you pick. :p

The Talking Pie
01-10-2010, 06:45 AM
Are Acers reliable? I've always avoided them because they seem sorta cheap-like. Do you have this laptop?

I have two Acers. At the moment I'm running on an Acer Aspire One (I'm running Linux on it, which I would suggest, but as you suggest you don't want to be converted they do a Windows version too). I completely recommend it if you want a netbook. I got mine for GBP 200. The Windows version would be a tad more expensive, but it's still quite cheap. Just make sure that if you get a netbook you get a HDD instead of SSD and pick the model with the most RAM, etc., as they usually make several models with vastly-differing specs for very little price difference.

So what I suggest is before looking for a new laptop is to just deleat the "cookies" on it

Cookies will not slow down a computer. They are strings consisting of usually a few bytes of text. I cannot emphasise enough that this is misguided information with no solid foundation in the realities of computing.

If looking to clear things out, you'd be better pruning your Program Files directory, Startup menu and LM/User 'Run' registry entries. But as you've stated that you've already reinstalled the OS, this obviously isn't the issue.

The most likely cause probably isn't the fan. Or rather, it will be in part, but not by virtue of the fan being fucked itself. If you open your laptop up, I'm willing to bet that there are actual sheets of dust lining many of the components, including the fan. I've had to 'fix' more hardware issues than I can remember, and the overwhelming majority of them have come down to having to use a vacuum cleaner on the motherboard (you have to be careful doing this, however... it may be better to close your eyes, peg your nose and just blow on it really hard).

Little_Miss_1565
01-10-2010, 10:46 AM
I have an Asus Eee PC netbook that I got to be a more portable machine for taking to coffee shops and out of town and such. I have a big-ass heavy iBook for all my design work, and while I won't part with it willingly it's not practical to take out around the town with me. I love the netbook, and it was cheap. Like $300 at Best Buy. Super reliable, fast, good times.

Llamas
01-10-2010, 12:48 PM
I have two Acers. At the moment I'm running on an Acer Aspire One (I'm running Linux on it, which I would suggest, but as you suggest you don't want to be converted they do a Windows version too). I completely recommend it if you want a netbook. I got mine for GBP 200. The Windows version would be a tad more expensive, but it's still quite cheap. Just make sure that if you get a netbook you get a HDD instead of SSD and pick the model with the most RAM, etc., as they usually make several models with vastly-differing specs for very little price difference.
I don't really get what a netbook is... is it just smaller?

The most likely cause probably isn't the fan. Or rather, it will be in part, but not by virtue of the fan being fucked itself. If you open your laptop up, I'm willing to bet that there are actual sheets of dust lining many of the components, including the fan. I've had to 'fix' more hardware issues than I can remember, and the overwhelming majority of them have come down to having to use a vacuum cleaner on the motherboard (you have to be careful doing this, however... it may be better to close your eyes, peg your nose and just blow on it really hard).
Oh shit, I've never opened a computer... maybe I can find a friend to do this for me.

For the record, I really like my Toshiba, but it's always had problems. The first year I had it, it would randomly mess up - the screen would go black (but still lit - it was still on, but black), and the entire thing would freeze up. Like, if there was a song playing, it'd skip on the same millisecond until I turned the computer off (hard shut down, of course). It seemed to do it mostly when it was about to go into stand-by. It doesn't do that much anymore, but now it just runs really fucking slow. I have to restart my computer every day or so just so I can navigate, because otherwise it takes like 7 minutes for something to load. Other than these two things, the Toshiba is nice. I like the size, the look, the layout... externally, it's great... never had any functional problems. I'd buy a Toshiba again, but it sounds like an Acer might be a better option here...

nieh
01-10-2010, 01:09 PM
A netbook is smaller and less powerful than a typical laptop or PC and is more geared towards internet usage and portability than, say, gaming. Depending one what you normally use your computer for, you might want to go for one of those instead of a traditional notebook.

The Talking Pie
01-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Actually, my most powerful computer is my netbook. Granted, the same wouldn't be at all true if I was a gamer, but for normal desktop computing, I find netbook specs to actually be quite 'up there'. The only thing they tend to lack is powerful graphics cards, but the on-board graphics and pure RAM/CPU power have always been more than enough for my needs (heavy flash/video use, Compiz, etc.). Planet Penguin Racer runs like a dream :cool:

Jebus
01-10-2010, 01:21 PM
They're also extremely power efficient so the battery could last from 4 to 12 hours depending on the model.

BTW, for those of you who don't know, flash 10.1 beta supports hardware acceleration (plays video with the gpu instead of the cpu). If you have a netbook with an Nvidia ION GPU or an Intel 4 series chipset, you could play HD youtube/hulu videos fullscreen without any stutter.
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/#sysreqs