PDA

View Full Version : In which Thunder posts about his music stuff

ThunderPX
01-10-2010, 09:49 AM
NEW ALBUM IS OUT!
Listen to it here: http://music.lunaray.nl

Old post below:
=======================
What's up guys? As it turns out, I make music.
I'll show you my experiments with (mostly) electronic stuff. The project is called Luna Ray, and the styles range from electropop to industrial metal to some attempt at just metal.

Download the entire first album here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zy4ywu0zkfe

Please do comment on the music.

7Seconds
01-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Any band that describes themselves as "Totally Epic" probably isn't that great.

ThunderPX
01-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Heh. Sorry, I guess I'm a little over-excited over the fact that we finally have a competent line-up together.

That's not the point of this thread right now, though. :P

7Seconds
01-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Haha you last name is Pubben?

randman21
01-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Haha you last name is Pubben?

Yeah, he last name is Pubben.

Anyway Thunder, I love this stuff! I've been writing punk for a long time now, and last year I started getting into folk and pop, and now electronic stuff. This project, particularly the first two songs, are the kind of stuff that I want to make right now, but I can't get those thick, rich synth sounds you're getting (not to mention that I can't seem to put my guitar down for longer than a few tracks :p). I gotta say the only one I didn't like was "Alienation". Reminded me too much of Mortal Kombat...the movie. Heh, I'm trying to forget all about that flick, man. But yeah, what kinds of programs are you using for your sounds?

ThunderPX
01-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Right now I'm using FL Studio. It's often underrated (a lot of people act as though it's a "toy"), but it's very cool. Its only drawback is the price, especially since you want the version with all the features. But hey, there's, uh, other methods to... acquire it...
Apart from that, I have a lot of free-to-use samples that came on DVDs bundled with a UK magazine called Computer Music. A total audio goldmine, but I'm not sure if it's available in the US; getting it over here is hard enough.

Anyway, thanks! It does seem that a lot of people aren't too fond of Alienation. I guess I gotta find some other musical outlet for my anger. :P

randman21
01-12-2010, 05:10 AM
Damn. I guess that shows how broken my creativity is. I've had FL Studio 8 for a year now, but I haven't been able to do anything substantial with any VSTis yet. But I get what you mean. It LOOKS like a toy, but it has more stuff than I can ever use. Most of my success has come an awesome modular synth called MiniMogue. You should look it up. It's free.

Oh, and about Computer Music, I read bunch of their articles from a site (maybe their site?) years ago and I've been wanting to get ahold of a subscription since. I want that son-of-a-bitch, but no dice yet. :(:(

ThunderPX
02-11-2011, 05:37 AM
Story time!

So basically, the last release I did was in 2009, and that was just a redone version of a 2008 release. According to an old list of plans I found recently, I was supposed to have four albums out now, and that's not even taking into account my other projects. Needless to say, things worked out a little differently. :P

The past year I've been working on a crapload of new Luna Ray stuff for a new album. My songwriting skills and my recording equipment have both improved significantly, so if you thought the last album was good, this one is likely to blow your head off. There's just two things I'm struggling with:
a) I have over twenty songs, but I can't seem to pick out twelve that'll make for a strong and versatile album. I'm trying to rectify this by writing a couple more heavy songs, but my inspiration for songwriting only comes out when it wants to. :(
b) I want to promote this music. Part of my plan to do so is to assemble a live band, but I don't want to rely on backing tracks too much, so I'm saving up for a laptop so I can use a keyboard as a MIDI controller for FL Studio. This is going to take a while.

I have been making some tangible progress with my rock band, Kalliora, however. Last time I mentioned it, I said something like "totally epic", which was really my opinion at the time considering our line-up.
Unfortunately, we had to fire both our guitarists; one was good but never showed up, and the other always showed up but wasn't good. So I was back on guitar, but I'm not nearly as good at solos as our old lead guitarist.
Regardless, we continued with this line-up and recorded a three-song demo. We couldn't use my home equipment, since we needed to record drums. We also wanted to mic our amps instead of using Guitar Rig, so we needed a place with proper electric wiring so everything didn't keep going bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. We were able to pull some strings and get some free recording time. We managed to finish most of our set, but one of the songs is still missing some vocal parts that I'll have to add in later.

In short, here's a preview of the two finished tracks. I put them up on my own MySpace since I don't want too many people to hear these until the third track is finished and I do final mixing/mastering on these.

http://www.myspace.com/kironpmusic

ThunderPX
09-09-2011, 02:07 PM
GUESS WHAT IS AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW

MY NEW ALBUM THAT'S WHAT (http://music.lunaray.nl/)

GO GET IT

ThunderPX
09-13-2011, 06:30 AM
Wow, so, the programmer for a pretty well-known venue in the area got hold of my album and offered me an opening slot in November.

I don't even have a band. o_O

ThunderPX
09-17-2011, 03:17 PM
No reactions, really? Guess I should start making crappier music again. :P

ThunderPX
10-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Recorded a quick cover of Weezer's "Photograph" today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lAQ5UOFVCQ

ThunderPX
11-19-2011, 04:37 AM
Will someone pleeeeease criticise my album (http://music.lunaray.nl) already? :(

randman21
11-19-2011, 04:45 AM
Damn, I didn't realize you were getting no luv. :o I'm about to go to bed, but I'm going to try my hardest to remember to listen tonight. I still remember the stuff I heard last year, so I'm looking forward to it.

Wow, so, the programmer for a pretty well-known venue in the area got hold of my album and offered me an opening slot in November.

I don't even have a band. o_O
Most frustrating shit in the world, eh? I've been offered so many shows, managers, recording contracts (not that I want those) over the years, but I can never keep my band together long enough to take advantage of things. So sad. What's the music scene like where you live?

ThunderPX
11-19-2011, 05:17 AM
It's just sort of there. I pretty much live in the middle of nowhere, but it would be wrong to say there's no music scene at all.
There's a lot of support for local bands in nearby towns, with them organising events to give new people an opportunity to get out there.
The only problem is that most of the bands kind of suck, they either have this awful droning Kings of Leon thing going on or are just generic pop punk.
A couple years back when I was in high school, there were some pretty decent punk bands (I was in one), but I think most of those people cleared out to the north as soon as possible because the music scene is much better there.

randman21
11-19-2011, 03:03 PM
So I listened...what can I say? The thing is just fucking awesome. :p

It's so hard to give criticism when something is well-done. I usually resort to production tips if the songs themselves are good, but from top to bottom, this is a great album, technically and creatively. Professional shit, man. My favorites were Change, Within, Bound for Glory, and World.

ThunderPX
11-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Everyone whom I've managed to force to listen to the album seems to like World a lot. It's not one of my favourites though... goes to show you how good artists are at judging their own work. :P

Free?
01-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Carnival of Monsters has Pretty Hate Machine vibe all over the place, the raw simplicity of sound (both structure and effects) and lyrics (well, as much as I got into them), just like in PHM. Pretty damn enjoyable stuff, not sure whether it will feel interesting for a while or will burn itself quickly, though. What I wished was better is your voice, it feels like it isn't up there with music, but that's the only thing I would say something bad about. Keep it up.

ThunderPX
01-16-2012, 12:30 PM
A listener! \o/

Well, thanks for the PHM reference. I've always had a lot of NIN-based inspiration, but I mostly don't get quite as dark as whatever Trent Reznor cooks up. So I guess if I still manage to remind someone of a NIN album, then I'm doing good!

I also get that you wouldn't like my voice as much as the rest. It's never been the most powerful part of me. :P

robinhood005
01-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Heh. I'm sorry, I think that I am a little angry that we finally have the report together.

ThunderPX
06-17-2012, 08:15 AM
We interrupt your daily dose of spam for the Thunderous Thunder Show!

While I'm working on my new album and want to release it this year, I've been totally inspirationless as far as lyrics go. So instead, I've been doing a lot of covers and remixes. One of my ongoing project is to do a bunch of remixes of the famous Doctor Who theme. I don't know what it is about that theme, but it's remixable as all hell. The show itself has had like 7 versions and that's not even counting all the official remixes, the versions used on the audio plays, etc. etc.
So here's a few versions I made!

http://3xs.jonnys-place.com/music/doctorwho_shorter.mp3
^ This one is a polished up version of my first attempt. A lot of oldschool DW fans rant on and on about the atmospheric feeling and the bassline, so I tried to accentuate that here. It's not my personal favourite though, because...

http://3xs.jonnys-place.com/music/doctorwho3.mp3
^ I've always been a fan of bombastic stuff (unlike every single other person who rants about the Doctor Who theme), so I didn't mind the version from the 1996 movie *that* much. It had some cool elements in it and some stuff that should've been different, so here's my take on it.

http://3xs.jonnys-place.com/music/doctorwho4.mp3
^ My most recent attempt. It started off as a more creepy take on it, but then I stumbled upon those arpeggios and went with that. Now it sounds pretty 80s.

Godxilla
07-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Change: Hmm... Reminds me the tiniest bit like Depeche Mode. Liked that solo at around 1:47-ish.
Within: this is better. More lively, and that's a beastly bassline. Your voice sounds good here.
Bound for Glory: good use of guitar here. "Let it gooooooooo!" is just plain cool there. Nice frantic bridge. Cool ending.
Pinball: I didn't care much for it. I wouldn't skip it but it was very loungy to me. The lyrics were it the best part.
Generation of Hate: wow. This had some interesting lyrics. Good songwriting tricks and devices here. The instrumental parts were good as well.
Dazzle: it sounded a bit overdone on effects. The chorus didn't do it for me, but the synth was rich. Good bridge.
Alright Again: this started like a punk song, but then switched to a rap. That was kinda cool. Good transition between chorus and verse. I would've liked to know what you were saying in the chorus, but it was too fast.
World: Well, it was pretty good. Nothing was amazing, but nothing sucked either. Fairly decent.
Deviance: strong intro. Cool beat too. And cool chorus. I guess that equals a good track, and it is just that.
Fantasy:Good mystical intro. I thought the words could've been backed better.
I'll listen to the others tomorrow.