PDA

View Full Version : Death and celebrities

Harleyquiiinn
01-10-2010, 01:56 PM
So, my hero/icon/idol of my teenage year and after died today. He's french and most of you won't know him so I won't get into a long post to describe him but he was a very talented singer/writer/painter and artist in general and his name was Mano Solo. But that's not the point of my post.

Now, I am completely sad. I cried a little bit, I feel like something's missing now...

And another part of me thinks it's silly. I didn't know him personnally, except the few time we've been chatting when I was a hardcore member of his BBS and I will still be able to listen to his songs, read his books for as long as I want.

So why am I so sad ? why are we so sad in general when someone that we admire so much dies ? is it just the idea of knowing that we will never get anything new ? I don't think so because some artists I admire didn't do a thing in years and won't do anything anymore...
Is it because of empathy for him and his family ? I don't think so either, I don't know any of them...
Is it because death is just sad ? is it conventionnal to be sad ? is it because the media keep posting and writing about him now (which they rarely do when he was alive anyway) ?
Is it because he represents a part of my life and I'm afraid that part dies with him ?
Funny thing though... there wasn't an official communiqué... the first people to knw were the members of his BBS... her mother just posted, with her username, that he won't be posting anymore... how fucking sad is this ?

How do you feel when someone you admire dies ? are you the kind of person who cries, sends flowers to the family, sreams that the world won't be the same without him, or just don't care ?

Llamas
01-10-2010, 02:10 PM
If I don't know them personally, I generally consider the fact that things will be less great without their contribution, but I don't think I've ever felt truly sad. I'm a little desensitized about death in general, though. You might call me cold, but I've had enough early unexpected death happen around me that I've had to learn to deal with it and just consider it part of life. So celebrity deaths really don't have any affect on me.

DMelges
01-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Having someone you admire die is sad because that person you admire probably inspired you to do something, and you've kept such person as a role model, as inspiration. I was inspired to pick up the guitar, to teach myself how to play. When our idols pass away, we feel as if, maybe, the reason we are doing what we are doing is now gone. Maybe our subconscious keeps us imagining that we will be just as good as the person we admire one day, or simply have the same success. I'm not talking about financial success, or international fame, simply knowledge and emotion. Hell, the first time I taught myself to play an entire song, I was truely proud of myself. Inspiration grew. And once they're gone, our reason is gone. Inspiration fades.

It is sad to me when someone important dies. As ilovellamas said, the fact that things will be less great without their contribution.

Anyway Harley, sorry to hear about your loss.

Paint_It_Black
01-10-2010, 09:13 PM
I cried when Johnny Cash died. But I was probably drunk.

To answer your question, I think the biggest part of why I feel sad when someone awesome dies is just because there's one less awesome person in the world. And I just don't do the whole death thing well anyway.

RickyCrack
01-10-2010, 09:29 PM
i just hope i don't see the day when michael j fox dies.

ipweeb
01-10-2010, 10:18 PM
There is one thing everyone must realize and that's death is certain. All the kings money and all the kings men can't put them back together again.

Paint_It_Black
01-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks. That's quite a revelation.

Llamas
01-11-2010, 11:53 AM
There is one thing everyone must realize and that's death is certain. All the kings money and all the kings men can't put them back together again.

Orly?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0783223676.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif