PDA

View Full Version : Does Shakespeare and Shit Mix?

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
01-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Soooooooooo....
am i the only one that likes to recite shakespeare's sonnets while taking a shit?

Paint_It_Black
01-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Wow Maria, I'm not sure this thread deserved such a reply, but interesting nonetheless.

I think the best thing about Shakespeare is simply his stories. They're just honestly good and timeless tales. I'm revisiting Macbeth at the moment.

Sidewinder
01-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Most of Shakespeare's stories are dolled up versions of older stories. I love them, regardless.

Anyway, regarding Maria's post, I basically completely disagree. I find the flow of Shakespeare to be much smoother and more engaging than that of many others. The main appeal it has to me is he was able to make poetry out of dialogue; not many playwrights or poets are capable of that.

Sidewinder
01-13-2010, 02:09 PM
I think Romeo and Juliet may be my favorite, simply because I've read it the most and am the most familiar with it. I love well written romance, and Mercutio probably had my favorite dialogue of any character in any Shakespeare play. I like Julius Caesar a good bit, partially because of a sentimental connection (it was the first Shakespeare in enjoyed and appreciated on the first readthrough back when I was ~13). I love Hamlet as well, though when reading it, it was accompanied by Kenneth Branaugh's film version as well. Watching a Shakespeare film with subtitles while reading it independently separately combine to make a VERY good experience.

Much Ado doesn't have as much depth, but it's a comedy. I thoroughly enjoyed it's lighter weight; nice change of pace. It's been forever since I've read Taming of the Shrew and Merchant of Venice, I really need to give those another go. Midsummer Night's Dream was alright, but I just didn't care for how the play within the play (Pyramus and Thisbe) was actually just the original source of R&J, so he was essentially making a cruder version of R&J.

Paint_It_Black
01-13-2010, 02:12 PM
A plague on both your houses!

I just love saying that to people.

Oh, and whenever I'm sick and someone asks how I am feeling I like to inform them that if they ask for me in the morning they will find me a grave man.

So I guess I've just realized I also adore Mercutio's dialogue. And it says something that I've remembered those lines for something like 14 years now.

Sidewinder
01-13-2010, 02:21 PM
ROMEO
I dream'd a dream to-night.

MERCUTIO
And so did I.

ROMEO
Well, what was yours?

MERCUTIO
That dreamers often lie.

------------

TYBALT
Mercutio, thou consort'st with Romeo,--

MERCUTIO
Consort! what, dost thou make us minstrels? an
thou make minstrels of us, look to hear nothing but
discords: here's my fiddlestick; here's that shall
make you dance. 'Zounds, consort!

Sidewinder
01-13-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm a big fan of sonnets, and generally like his, but I honestly don't think that's the epitome of his talent as much as the creation artistic dialogue is.

Side note on sonnets: Keats is far and away my favorite sonnet writer. Oh my goodness, he's amazing.

RageAndLov
01-13-2010, 02:49 PM
The only shit mix I know of is this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1ppnygkelo).

Llamas
01-13-2010, 02:55 PM
To be thus is nothing
But to be safely thus
Our fears in Banquo stick deep
And in his royalty of nature
Reigns which would be feared
Tis much he dares.

And to that dauntless temper of his mind
He hath a wisdom that doth guide his valor to act in safety
There is none but he whose being do I fear
And under him my genius is rebuked
As it is said Marc Antony's was by Caesar
He chid the sisters
When first they put the name of king upon me
And bade them speak to him

... and it goes on. I still remember this entire soliloquy... crazy. We had to present an entire soliloquy from Macbeth from pure memory when I was 15.

Anyway, Shakespeare has a really extremely fucked up sense of humor. His comedies are completely nuts. In general, I'm not a big fan of his work, but I understand why others love it.

Sidewinder
01-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Oh I know you were only referring to Shakespeare; that's why I entered it as a side note. I just feel incomplete addressing sonnets and not having Keats in there somewhere.

And yeah, there are at least 4 'recognized' forms of sonnets that I know about, quite possibly more. The Italian (I think?) that Keats writs in a lot, the Elizabethan (aka Shakespearean), The Sepnserian (Made by Edmund Spenser for The Fairie Queene), and now your French version.

Sidewinder
01-13-2010, 04:07 PM
He was slightly before Shakespeare's time, and wrote a 6 book epic composed entirely of the sonnet scheme he came up with:

A
B
A
B
B
C
B
C
C

The last line has a different number of syllables (I don't recall the specifics, but that's the rhyme scheme).

The French sonnet you presented seems to be just three quatrains stringed together; the Italian / Petrarchian sonnet is like...

A
B
A
B
C
D
E
C
D
E

Alison
01-13-2010, 04:08 PM
One of my favourite Shakespeare bits is from Titus Andronicus. Not his most poetic, but I quite liked it, and the movie too.

DEMETRIUS: Villain, what hast thou done?

AARON:That which thou canst undo

CHIRON: Thou hast undone our mother.

AARON: Villian, I have done thy mother.

jacknife737
01-13-2010, 07:18 PM
From school, the ending of Sonnet 18 always seems to come to mind first when i think about Shakespeare.

So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Hamlet or Julius Caesar are probably my favorites from his work, although Midsummer's Night Dream is a really fun read.

Paint_It_Black
01-13-2010, 11:40 PM
AARON: Villian, I have done thy mother.

So, basically, "I did ur mom"? Awesome.

Alison
01-14-2010, 12:14 PM
So, basically, "I did ur mom"? Awesome.

Yup, pretty much.

It also has a few references about 'bloody pits' in reference to vaginas.

T-6005
01-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Unsex me now, dudes.

Superdope
01-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Has anyone by chance seen the Macbeth play with Ian McKellen and Judi Dench? I thought it was great.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
01-14-2010, 06:04 PM
i like sonnet 144 a lot
Two loves I have of comfort and despair,
Which like two spirits do suggest me still:
The better angel is a man right fair,
The worser spirit a woman colour'd ill.
To win me soon to hell, my female evil
Tempteth my better angel from my side,
And would corrupt my saint to be a devil,
Wooing his purity with her foul pride.
And whether that my angel be turn'd fiend