PDA

View Full Version : Home Studio

randy
01-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi!I just want to start building a small home recording studio,nothing that big,just to start recording my own tracks,but Id like to hear suggestions on what should I buy,Im about to buy a new Mac,Id also like to know wich Mac could work the best for this,thanks!

ad8
01-13-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't think the pc is that important. You should rather lay emphasis on an interface(usb) and a small mixer in which you could plug in the instruments/microphones.

Also, you'll need some recording software. I use Cubase right now, but you can use free software, too. I worked with Kristal Audio Engine before. It was not as good as Cubase, but it did well for basic recordings and first songs.

mspunk13
01-13-2010, 01:52 PM
I record using Macs. I have a 20" 2.0GHz 4GB RAM iMac and a 13" 2.26GHz 2GB RAM MacBook Pro. I have to say, the iMac beats the sh!t out of the MacBook when it comes to recording. It's much faster and doesn't freeze nearly as often as the MacBook. Well, my iMac has never crashed on me yet.

Basically, I think you should get a desktop, not a laptop. Bigger screen (extremely important), mouse instead of a trackpad, usually more ports.

I use Logic Pro and I think it's great (lol it's really pro, but has a steep learning curve), but GarageBand is free and pre-installed and is also awesome.

But I also think that buying a good audio interface is more important than the computer. Apogee Duet is a great one if you're using a Mac. It's a firewire interface, but if you want to go pro, firewire is the way to go and not USB :P.

Homer
01-13-2010, 05:23 PM
If you're looking at getting the complete home studio experience (with drums and whatnot) then you'll probably want either a mixer with atleast 12 ports, or a USB/XLR interface (almost like a pre-amp) to connect everything and record directly to your computer. As for software, I personally use FL Studio to do all of my mixing and Acoustica Mixcraft solely to record the tracks (I wasn't able to crack it). Just go pirate some stuff.

Also, make sure you've got a bunch of foam in the room.

mspunk13
01-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Just go pirate some stuff.
LOL. So true.

Also, make sure you've got a bunch of foam in the room.
Very, very true.

But I have to disagree on USB interfaces. If you're really serious about recording, FireWire audio interfaces will allow you to use more inputs (if you're planning to record drums, you'll need at least 6-8 mics and that's already too much for USB). They are more stable. FireWire interfaces will also allow you to record at a higher sample rate. What is more, USB interfaces will affect your computer performance much more than FireWire interfaces.

Homer
01-14-2010, 02:02 AM
Actually, yes, I meant firewire. Woops! I guess it's because I don't actually own one and am just going off of memory from what I used to have access to.

But yeah, firewire.

mspunk13
01-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Haha don't worry, I don't own one either. They're too expensive for me :(

randy
01-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the advices!I bought a MacBook Pro,I`m still fiddling with the Garage Band stuff,yeah,I am thinking on buying the interphase,but I`m new when it comes to recording so I better take it easy and check wich are the best options.

mspunk13
01-16-2010, 05:03 AM
Great! Now, if you want to have more flexibility, I suggest erm... 'acquiring' Logic Pro 9 :D

What are you going to record? Drums, guitar, piano, vocals?

No matter what you do, you will need an audio interface. New 13" MacBook Pros don't even have audio-in jacks.

But, if you aren't going to be recording drums, a USB interface will be fine. And a copy of Superior Drummer 2, which you can... you know... 'get'. XD Or if you don't want to buy microphones, you can use programs like Amplitube or Guitar Rig etc. That makes stuff easier and cheaper, but that's not what a professional studio looks like LOL!

randy
01-17-2010, 10:28 PM
I still don't know if I'm recording drums,but I might buy a drum machine,I'm more interested on recording acoustic guitars,some electric guitars,keyboards and vocals,I wrote a bunch of acoustic songs,so I would record bass and drums after I work on them again,but I'm still a rookie on recording and I don't own any software yet,but I'm gonna try to get the programs you said,let's see how it works :D

mspunk13
01-18-2010, 01:28 AM
Haha cool :) Then I guess you'll need a condenser microphone.

Before you buy another mic for miking your amps, you can try plugging your guitar directly into the interface. It works perfect for bass and clean guitars and if you work on it a bit you will be able to get a decent distorted sound (garageband has awesome pre-installed bass effects, while Amplitube and Guitar Rig will simulate real amps. you get tons of tones and effects... which you can edit after recording).

And please consider the software drum machine. I suggest Superior Drummer 2.0, it's a VSTi plugin (a virtual instrument) - you create a MIDI track you can modify whenever you want, then you add the virtual instrument, and you can edit your sound as much as you want to. You get like 12 tracks to work with, many drum sets to choose from, effects etc. etc. It sounds SO real you won't be able to tell the difference betweeen that and real drums. Plus it can be free :cool: if you know what I mean lol

Jojan
01-18-2010, 06:53 AM
http://hadshot.net/apple/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/real-apple.jpg

Build a good cheap PC and install Ubuntu Studio or 64 Studio (iff you get a 64 bit processor) onto it. Much, much, much cheaper than a (newer) Mac.

DexterWannabe
01-18-2010, 10:37 AM
True words Jojan.

mspunk13
01-18-2010, 04:31 PM
aargh please don't start the mac vs pc fight lol!

m.offspring.r
01-19-2010, 11:31 AM

lol

maybe we doesn't know the real meaning of working on a real mac :D

btw, Superior Drummer sucks. Addictive Drums is the best...

mspunk13
01-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Are you kidding me? Addictive Drums don't sound nearly as good as Superior Drummer (if the settings are tweaked right, which can take a lot of work). Or... let's just not start the Superior Drummer vs Addictive drums battle lol!

Jojan
01-20-2010, 05:58 AM

Mac is a PC, idiot.

mspunk13
01-20-2010, 06:53 AM
'Mac vs PC' is a generally accepted term.

If you have to be so precise, use the full names, because 'Mac' doesn't mean shit either. Or I could say that it means a trench coat. But in our situation, it is a generally accepted name for 'personal computers running the Mac OS'. Just like PC wouldn't mean 'personal care' here, it would be a generally accepted term for 'personal computers running the Windows OS'.

Just keep cool. I really don't see the problem. Try working on not offending other people without reason.

randy
01-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Hi!Yeah,why fighing about this?Jojan`s picture was funny :D
I`ve been trying to download some programs but I just can`t install them,don`t know why,so I`m starting to use Garage Band and using very basic stuff on it,I need to learn how to use it more deeply,meanwhile I`m saving money for a good mixer.

mspunk13
01-25-2010, 04:12 PM
What did you download?
I'm pretty sure these were VST plugins. You're supposed to open them in GarageBand as effects - or instrument generators.
That's not standalone software. Let me know what you have there and I'll try to help :)