PDA

View Full Version : London

Harleyquiiinn
01-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Ok, so I'm going to London tomorrow for the week end to visit my friend, Mr Sheldon Cooper on that BBS.

Anything the british think I should see ? And I am not talking about the touristic stuff, I can find that by myself. Something you know/think is great and that tourists usually don't go to.

I know there are.

Ah ah, I'm happy. Last time I went was 10 years ago. I don't remember anything.

London caaaaalling to the faraway towns !

DMelges
01-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Is Sheldon Cooper really your friend? That's awesome.

Have a good trip to London. Hope I can go there some day :)

SweetTatyana
01-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Hey sorry, who is sheldon cooper? Sorry I tried to search but I just got hits from The Big Bang theory show.

Harleyquiiinn
01-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Hey sorry, who is sheldon cooper? Sorry I tried to search but I just got hits from The Big Bang theory show.

lol, don't worry that's normal, he's a user who posted something like 3 messages. I don't even know why I said it ;)

And it is from the Big Bang theory show. GREAT show byt the way :D

PedroACastro
01-14-2010, 02:43 PM
visit a lot of museums. i was thinking about making a thread like this cause i'm going to london in 2 weeks and i wanted tips on what to see too

nameless
01-14-2010, 04:27 PM
maybe visit camden town if you like the alternative kinda lifestyle, although that is quite a tourist attraction as well! just to warn you though, the cold weather threw the city into chaos so expect delays when travelling!

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2010, 12:26 AM
Just do one of the bus tours that let you get on and off whenever you want. The guides are actually quite good, plus it's a pretty cheap way to get around the city all day.

Yes, I know you said you are looking for things that aren't your typical tourist type stuff. But those bus tours are great so I'm recommending them anyway.

Harleyquiiinn
01-15-2010, 12:56 AM
Nameless> Camden, ok, I'll try to see that :)

Just do one of the bus tours that let you get on and off whenever you want. The guides are actually quite good, plus it's a pretty cheap way to get around the city all day.

Yes, I know you said you are looking for things that aren't your typical tourist type stuff. But those bus tours are great so I'm recommending them anyway.

Ah, we're probably going to do tourist stuff anyway but I was more thinking about taking a bus... Since it's probably be cold, maybe the bus is a better idea though...

Harleyquiiinn
01-15-2010, 03:34 AM
I want to do that one !

http://www.londonducktours.co.uk/

Alison
01-15-2010, 04:01 AM
I want to do that one !

http://www.londonducktours.co.uk/

I think i went on that one. I went on one of them in Dublin anyway....think the other time was in london...maybe...they're quite good, the tour guidess are usually funny anyway.

Bejka
01-15-2010, 08:38 AM
I don't like London, go to south if you can. Brighton, Bournemouth, Portsmouht, Reading, Southampton... great places! Or even Isle of Wight! It's gorgeous! You can fly there from Heathrow, it's just 20 min.

ad8
01-15-2010, 09:44 AM
I can recommend Greenwhich (the park), Islington and maybe a docklands tour. And the usual famous sights, of course. And maybe the tate modern if you're into arts...

Anka
01-15-2010, 11:12 AM
I am not british, but I would certainly go and look for places with Banksy's work... I hope I will find them when I finally got to London some day...

Tizzalicious
01-16-2010, 07:57 AM
Camden, definitely.

Tijs
01-16-2010, 08:16 AM
I've been in London about 5 times but I've never taken a bus tour there, which actually is something that I wanted to do everytime I was there. Also because, like Paint_It_Black said, it's fairly cheap. And next time I'm there I'm sooo going on that busducktour.

I did however take a short boattrip on the Thames (fun fact: I was accompanied by the_real_potomek!) and it was a lot of fun. There's this guy announcing all the interesting sights but he doesn't know too much of everything so mostly he's just joking around in typical British humor. I loved it. I tipped him.
I can check what the name was of the tour and where it was, if you want, it was a lot cheaper than the other tours, and you can get on and off at a different points and continue the tour later with the same tickets.

Camden is quite cool too but is it really London-ish? I mean, it's just another market-area if you ask me, except more alternative. And not that cheap, honestly. But despite of it being not London-ish it's quite cool to check out anyway.

Other than that there's of course the obvious things:
- Royal Palace and the nearby park;
- London Eye (expensive and a long line, but I did it once and was amazed and scared);
- Parlement, it's close to the London Eye;
- Thames, if you walk from London Eye - away from the parlement - along side of the river it's pretty nice and there's some fun street performances if you're into that stuff.
- Tower Bridge;
- All the middle-age stuff.

But I must add that I'm the worst tourist ever, I usually have no idea where to go so I'd rather have someone tell me where to go.

edit: But fuck, you asked for the not-typical touristic stuff and my post is full of typical touristic stuff. So yeah, ignore it if you wish!

Paint_It_Black
01-16-2010, 08:32 AM
I did however took a short boattrip on the Thames (fun fact: I was accompanied by the_real_potomek!) and it was a lot of fun. There's this guy announcing all the interesting sights but he doesn't know too much of everything so mostly he's just joking around in typical British humor. I loved it. I tipped him.

I did one of those too. The one I did, the guy announcing all the stuff explained how they aren't actually tour guides, they are professional boat crew. But they take it upon themselves to try to learn some of the history and share it with the passengers. They stressed that they are NOT experts and just do this for free, just to be awesome. Well, they didn't call themselves awesome, that's me summarizing. I tipped well.

I've done that twice actually. The last time was included in the bus tour, which just made the bus tour even more amazing for the low price. I liked the tour so much I even enjoyed riding the same part on different buses just to hear the slightly different versions from the different guides. I chatted with one of them for a while and he told me all about how he has lived in many places throughout Europe working as a guide on various tours. It sounded fantastic.

I can't stress enough how good the bus tours are.

Bla_Bla_Bla
01-16-2010, 10:59 AM
I recommend you main Odeon cinema where all the premieres are and all over that square are handprints of actors/actress :D I enjoyed it so you want.....or maybe flea-market it's funny place to see but I don't know where it is :D

Harleyquiiinn
01-16-2010, 05:18 PM
A little hello from London. Thanks to all for the advice ! And thanks Tijs for the long post :D

We actually went to Camden and I thought that was pretty cool ! The places with the Canal behind made me think a lot of Copenhagen with a more continental side to it. Very beautiful.

We also went around Oxford Circus and Picadilly Circus, saw the Palace... we kinda walked around and that was cool.

But the coolest thing was tonight. A real teamplay with my friends which ended with getting tickets for Wicked. I wasn't too sure about going to see this but one of my friend really wanted to. The other one had the idea to go see on Gumtree for tickets and I called and negociated the tickets. I called at 7:10 p.m, the show was at 7:30. We took a chance and had 25 tickets... But we were extremely well seated. Apparently, the tickets originaly costed 82 :D
The musical was great ! I liked the story, the costumes... well basically everything... The fake wizard is pretty scary... Anyway, it was a great evening.

And London is REALLY a beautiful city !

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
01-16-2010, 06:02 PM
A little hello from London. Thanks to all for the advice ! And thanks Tijs for the long post :D

We actually went to Camden and I thought that was pretty cool ! The places with the Canal behind made me think a lot of Copenhagen with a more continental side to it. Very beautiful.

We also went around Oxford Circus and Picadilly Circus, saw the Palace... we kinda walked around and that was cool.

But the coolest thing was tonight. A real teamplay with my friends which ended with getting tickets for Wicked. I wasn't too sure about going to see this but one of my friend really wanted to. The other one had the idea to go see on Gumtree for tickets and I called and negociated the tickets. I called at 7:10 p.m, the show was at 7:30. We took a chance and had 25 tickets... But we were extremely well seated. Apparently, the tickets originaly costed 82 :D
The musical was great ! I liked the story, the costumes... well basically everything... The fake wizard is pretty scary... Anyway, it was a great evening.

And London is REALLY a beautiful city !

glad to hear you're having fun. have you taken any pics yet?