PDA

View Full Version : Phone rant

Llamas
01-15-2010, 04:23 AM
I know I've complained about cell phones numerous times here... they cause me nothing but trouble. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get by without one. And this most recent complaint takes the cake for me.

I got my phone bill this week for the month of December. I made one international call, which lasted about two minutes, but otherwise made mostly in-network calls, which are free... plus sent some texts. I expected my phone bill to be around 600 crowns (about $30). I got my bill, and it was 22,000 crowns (about $1,200).

After about 20 minutes of trying to see how I possibly misread the bill (it's in Czech, so I had to pull up google translate), I realized this is really how much I owe. Finally, I discovered that 18,000 of it came from WAP usage, and the tax on that was 3,500. So my actual PHONE usage was only about 500 crowns - as expected.

I freaked out. I started asking people on facebook, on IM, etc... how is this possible? I did use the internet on my phone for 2 weeks in December because I didn't have internet in my apartment yet, but it was maybe 15 minutes of usage a day for two weeks. I basically checked my email, checked NFL scores, and visited here a few times.

Then I found out: if you don't have internet included in your plan, it costs 0.5 crowns (3 cents) per KB. PER KB. I used 36 MB. I had no idea about this - with phone plans I've used in the US, if you used internet once in a month, but didn't have a plan, they'd charge you the unlimited usage fee. A rip off, sure, but reasonable. I expected to be charged like $20 for the use of internet... not $1,200.

While trying to figure this all out, a couple friends pointed these situations out to me:
Verizon doesn't understand the difference between 0.02 cents and 0.02 dollars (http://verizonmath.blogspot.com/2007/08/original-recording-of-verizon-customer.html) This was of interest to me at first because I thought maybe this had happened to me, but it turns out it wasn't. However, this is absolutely mindblowing and caused repeated headdesking for me.

$4,954 phone bill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE7d7ji7aAo)
This was what made me realize what had happened on my phone bill.

My phone contract is through work, so I told my boss about it. He kind of laughed, and said that all Czech people know not to use phone internet here because of how much they rip you off... the system my old services in the US had, of charging the unlimited fee, is unheard of here. So my boss called for me and asked my permission to paint me out as a stupid American. I agreed because I can not afford a $1,200 bill... so the "dumb American" card is being used, and they'll "only" charge me $300 of this. So I got a break, and it was my fault for not looking into it before I used the internet... but I'm in disbelief that these companies can get away with charging this much for internet. $1,200 for two weeks of shitty phone internet? I used it for a total of probably eight hours. That is just insane.

I really wish I didn't have to deal with phone companies. Where's Karin? She can come share her story about the phone company that tried to charge her like $500 for a phone that didn't work. Fuck these people.

Oxygene
01-15-2010, 04:49 AM
I know I've complained about cell phones numerous times here... they cause me nothing but trouble. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get by without one. And this most recent complaint takes the cake for me.

I got my phone bill this week for the month of December. I made one international call, which lasted about two minutes, but otherwise made mostly in-network calls, which are free... plus sent some texts. I expected my phone bill to be around 600 crowns (about $30). I got my bill, and it was 22,000 crowns (about $1,200).

After about 20 minutes of trying to see how I possibly misread the bill (it's in Czech, so I had to pull up google translate), I realized this is really how much I owe. Finally, I discovered that 18,000 of it came from WAP usage, and the tax on that was 3,500. So my actual PHONE usage was only about 500 crowns - as expected.

I freaked out. I started asking people on facebook, on IM, etc... how is this possible? I did use the internet on my phone for 2 weeks in December because I didn't have internet in my apartment yet, but it was maybe 15 minutes of usage a day for two weeks. I basically checked my email, checked NFL scores, and visited here a few times.

Then I found out: if you don't have internet included in your plan, it costs 0.5 crowns (3 cents) per KB. PER KB. I used 36 MB. I had no idea about this - with phone plans I've used in the US, if you used internet once in a month, but didn't have a plan, they'd charge you the unlimited usage fee. A rip off, sure, but reasonable. I expected to be charged like $20 for the use of internet... not $1,200.

While trying to figure this all out, a couple friends pointed these situations out to me:
Verizon doesn't understand the difference between 0.02 cents and 0.02 dollars (http://verizonmath.blogspot.com/2007/08/original-recording-of-verizon-customer.html) This was of interest to me at first because I thought maybe this had happened to me, but it turns out it wasn't. However, this is absolutely mindblowing and caused repeated headdesking for me.

$4,954 phone bill (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE7d7ji7aAo)
This was what made me realize what had happened on my phone bill.

My phone contract is through work, so I told my boss about it. He kind of laughed, and said that all Czech people know not to use phone internet here because of how much they rip you off... the system my old services in the US had, of charging the unlimited fee, is unheard of here. So my boss called for me and asked my permission to paint me out as a stupid American. I agreed because I can not afford a $1,200 bill... so the "dumb American" card is being used, and they'll "only" charge me $300 of this. So I got a break, and it was my fault for not looking into it before I used the internet... but I'm in disbelief that these companies can get away with charging this much for internet. $1,200 for two weeks of shitty phone internet? I used it for a total of probably eight hours. That is just insane.

I really wish I didn't have to deal with phone companies. Where's Karin? She can come share her story about the phone company that tried to charge her like $500 for a phone that didn't work. Fuck these people.

Dude my colleague used his cellphone, which is on my name in dominica to download his e-mail ONCE.

400 Euros.

Tought shit... it happens. You should NEVER use your phone for data unless you know how much traffic you can generatet you can fit in 100000% for sure, and you pay a flat monthly fee. I get 2 gigs on my iPhone contract and use about max 300 MB a month.

In Eastern Europe doing anything else is suicide.. your lucky they let off $1000 the phone bill, that's totally unimaginable for me.

Rooster
01-15-2010, 05:01 AM
I don't use internet on my phone a lot. It's included in the plan in my case, i have 1 GB per month free, which is far more than i need, so i never had to pay for that. Plus i have free SMS (a limited number, but still far bigger number than i need), cheap calls. I pay around 20 per month max, usually even less (all costs together, including the ammount i have to pay because of the contract). It's a pretty good deal.

There was one case of mobile phone overuse that made me laugh though, it was even reported on TV. Some guy had a bill of 50.000 (or was it even more, i don't remember exactly how much, but the ammount was ridiculously high). But it was because of his own stupidity - he was calling hotline and talked for a few hours a day for about a month. And then he complained that they ripped him off, the bill was so high that he would have to chat 10 hours per day, but he only talked about 7 hours. Only 7 HOURS?!? Like that would really help to make his bill lower, he would still have s shitload ammount of money to pay. He acted like he was a victim. I don't know what happened, did he pay in the end or not...

But in your case, well, it happens. If you don't have the internet included in your plan, it's a rip off. It's not much different in Slovenia.

randman21
01-15-2010, 05:22 AM
Damn, now I feel bad for going on about the random extra $40 in my account. :P

Unexpected high bills are the worst. Those and unexpected low bank accounts. Anyway, just chiming in to concur about how ridiculous the system for internet usage is. Also, how exactly does that whole rate thing work? 0.5 crowns per KB...of what? I should probably know this, but I don't.

Llamas
01-15-2010, 05:28 AM
I feel pretty fucking stupid for assuming... but I just never would have guessed it. Like I said, internet service on my old plans was not like this.

Raptor, that's pretty sad - hotlines are very upfront about how high their charges are - it's generally like 2 euros per minute or something, and they show the rate right next to the phone number. And how do you talk on a hotline for 7 hours a day??? Jesus christ.

Randy, it's 0.5 crowns per kilobyte of data downloaded, or something. Like, when you open a webpage, it uses a certain number of KB. So every time I loaded a page, it used a certain number of KB.

nieh
01-15-2010, 06:30 AM
I have no internet plan for my cell phone, and on the rare occasion I use it (normally accidentally since the big round button in the middle of the phone that makes you want to press it takes you straight to the internet and it's been pressed in my pocket more times than I can count) I get charged per kb, which is some ridiculous amount that normally overtakes the amount you'd pay for the unlimited data plan in like 20 minutes worth of usage.

Llamas
01-15-2010, 06:38 AM
normally accidentally since the big round button in the middle of the phone that makes you want to press it takes you straight to the internet and it's been pressed in my pocket more times than I can count

Oh, that's really cool. Classy move on the phone manufacturers. Or whoever decides that. And there's no option to change what the button does? Terrible.

Rooster
01-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Raptor, that's pretty sad - hotlines are very upfront about how high their charges are - it's generally like 2 euros per minute or something, and they show the rate right next to the phone number. And how do you talk on a hotline for 7 hours a day??? Jesus christ.

That idiot knew that hotlines charge a lot. Which makes the whole thing even more stupid. Talking for 7 hours on the phone is stupid enough by itself, not to mention hotline. And then wondering why you have to pay so much... It's like shooting yourself in a foot and then wondering why it hurts

Little_Miss_1565
01-15-2010, 07:07 AM
Similar things have happened to people I know when they go on tour in Europe. Wireless internet is pretty much a no-go in Europe. Adam from Mythbusters racked up a $10K phone bill using his iPhone in Canada. It eventually got forgiven, but mobile internet outside the US and perhaps Japan can be completely and totally fucked. Well, at least now you know, didn't have to pay the whole bill, and can avoid it.

Jesus
01-15-2010, 07:53 AM
To be honest it's pretty much your own fault. If you were a local, they prolly wouldn't even have done anything to your bill.

We even have pay per kb broadband cause there are idiots out there who want it, with my current data-usages I would have a monthly bill of around 15000 euro.

Similar things have happened to people I know when they go on tour in Europe. Wireless internet is pretty much a no-go in Europe. Adam from Mythbusters racked up a $10K phone bill using his iPhone in Canada. It eventually got forgiven, but mobile internet outside the US and perhaps Japan can be completely and totally fucked.

That's a lot of crap to be fair. From an American centric point of view, with a US cellphone plan, it's indeed not wise to go online with your mobile in any country besides the US. But that's because it's a US plan. If I go online with my Belgian and EU plan in the US (without singing up for worldwide mobile internet usage) I'm fucked too.
So this has nothing to do with wireless being crap in other countries, but more with the fact that consumers sign up for the wrong plan.

Little_Miss_1565
01-15-2010, 07:57 AM
That's a lot of crap to be fair. From your American centric point of view, with a US cellphone plan it's indeed not wise to go online with your mobile in any country besides the US. But that's because it's a US plan. If I got online with my Belgian and EU plan in the US (without singing up for worldwide mobile internet usage) I'm fucked too. This has shit to do with wireless being crap in other countries, but more with the fact that consumers sign up for the wrong plan then.

I apologize for how American-centric that came across in my haste to get the post done and click "Submit Reply." I did, after all, say "can be," so the tone of this is also a lot of crap, to be fair. But for someone used to paying a flat fee for as many MBs of mobile broadband as you can possibly want in a month, paying by the KB would seem by comparison to be a bit effed.

Harleyquiiinn
01-15-2010, 08:00 AM
I apologize for how American-centric that came across in my haste to get the post done and click "Submit Reply." I did, after all, say "can be," so the tone of this is also a lot of crap, to be fair. But for someone used to paying a flat fee for as many MBs of mobile broadband as you can possibly want in a month, paying by the KB would seem by comparison to be a bit effed.

You have unlimited plans here too...

I dont feel I have the need for it though... I am in front of a computer 13 hours a day and that is more than enough...

Llamas
01-15-2010, 08:08 AM
To be honest it's pretty much your own fault. If you were a local, they prolly wouldn't even have done anything to your bill.
That's a lot of crap to be fair. From an American centric point of view, with a US cellphone plan, it's indeed not wise to go online with your mobile in any country besides the US. But that's because it's a US plan. If I go online with my Belgian and EU plan in the US (without singing up for worldwide mobile internet usage) I'm fucked too.
So this has nothing to do with wireless being crap in other countries, but more with the fact that consumers sign up for the wrong plan.

I know it's my fault, but that doesn't make it cool that the companies gouge people like this. And sure, I've learned that, in Europe they generally don't forgive charges (American customer service is generally, in my opinion, leagues better than here), but you see, the provider I use here is the same provider I used for over two years in the US. When I read the contract and the info online about my service plan, the service appeared to be the same as what I had in the US... the software in the phone is the same... etc. I had fair reason to assume the internet usage would work similarly.

Edit: Yes, unlimited internet usage packages do exist here, but they cost considerably more, and you have to specifically request it or else you're charged per kb. In the US, you can add it onto your service just by using the internet in many cases, or you're barred access to the internet unless you ask for the service - so that people don't make the error I did and use it without knowing how much they're getting ripped off.

Jesus
01-15-2010, 08:31 AM
I know it's my fault, but that doesn't make it cool that the companies gouge people like this. And sure, I've learned that, in Europe they generally don't forgive charges (American customer service is generally, in my opinion, leagues better than here), but you see, the provider I use here is the same provider I used for over two years in the US. When I read the contract and the info online about my service plan, the service appeared to be the same as what I had in the US... the software in the phone is the same... etc. I had fair reason to assume the internet usage would work similarly.
Fair enough, but I don't see the problem with companies doing this. Since it usefull sometimes, you can just check your mail if your net is down without having to sign up for a one year contract. They maybe could have send you a text or something when you reached a treshold. Though I'm personally not a fan of them doing this, since I already receive too many of them =p. Just as I'm not a fan of them calling me up how I can lower my costs by signing up for a different plan.

Edit: Yes, unlimited internet usage packages do exist here, but they cost considerably more, and you have to specifically request it or else you're charged per kb. In the US, you can add it onto your service just by using the internet in many cases, or you're barred access to the internet unless you ask for the service - so that people don't make the error I did and use it without knowing how much they're getting ripped off.

Well it seems normal that you have to request an unilimited package since they need your consent for this, considering it requires monthly fees (and is thus a contract) unlike pay per kb usage. I'd be pretty pissed if they would put me on a monthly fee plan just for going online once, while having no further need for it.

Llamas
01-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Fair enough, but I don't see the problem with companies doing this. Since it usefull sometimes, you can just check your mail if your net is down without having to sign up for a one year contract. They maybe could have send you a text or something when you reached a treshold. Though I'm personally not a fan of them doing this, since I already receive too many of them =p. Just as I'm not a fan of them calling me up how I can lower my costs by signing up for a different plan.

Yeah, I can see why some people would prefer the per kb rate then if they really only use the phone once for an emergency... however, when looking at my bill, they charged me the same for one usage as the unlimited package costs. A couple times, one usage cost more than the unlimited package. Maybe they could inform you, and if you don't like the notifications, you could change your settings... but most importantly, the rate could be a BIT more reasonable, I think...

Jesus
01-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Yeah but that's not gonna happen cause if the rate would be reasonable, then more people who are currently on fixed plans would switch over and go on pay per kb usage. Telco's don't like that, since it leads to variable income. They much rather have people signing up for fixed plans because it involes a contract which has you tied to them for a while (and looks nice in their financial reports), but more importantly it gives them fixed income which makes their investment planning easier.

For this reason they would prolly have agreed to drop the 1200, if you would have signed an x year contract for an unlimited plan.

Llamas
01-15-2010, 09:04 AM
But you can change your plan at any time... my contract might be for two years, but I can add/drop things like texting, internet, etc whenever I want. So if one month I want internet, I can add it, and then remove it the next. So that's really just as much of a variable.

SweetTatyana
01-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Yeah I probably would have done the exact same thing as Llamas did, I totally would have thought "how much could it be" ? haha. Everyone gets so exciting about having the web on their phone right. A friend of mine got an Iphone last year and he was showing me how fast the internet goes on it and I guess he forgot to log out, turns out his phone company charged him $250 for apparenlty being connected the whole time until his battery died! I think they only charged him $50 when it came down to it, I think these moves go a long way in establishing customer loyalty.

Harleyquiiinn
01-15-2010, 09:36 AM
But you can change your plan at any time... my contract might be for two years, but I can add/drop things like texting, internet, etc whenever I want. So if one month I want internet, I can add it, and then remove it the next. So that's really just as much of a variable.

Ah I think this one is a matter of european regulation... protection of the consumer stuff...

Let me explain:

We can change everything, every month in our plans too (I am talking for France of course).

BUT we have to opt in for it.

What I mean is that I see, from what you read, that they propose you, when you get connected via your mobile, to change your plan and have internet for the month.

Well here, my guess is that it would be forbidden for a company to do such a thing because it would be considered unprotective for the consumer who will change its contract without knowing it.

Of course, you might consider it is not protective at all since it made you spend a lot more...

And that's only my guess anyway, I'm not sure about that...

Llamas
01-15-2010, 09:38 AM
I think they only charged him $50 when it came down to it, I think these moves go a long way in establishing customer loyalty.

Yep, if T-Mobile hadn't reduced my bill, I would've cancelled my service with them and switched providers. But I'll stick around since they lowered it.

Alison
01-15-2010, 10:10 AM
I used the internet on my phone for about 2 minutes one time, and the basards charged me over twenty euro. I don't know why it cost so much, as usually it would only cost very little. I emailed them about it, and nobody bothered to reply. :mad:

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
01-15-2010, 10:57 AM
this is even worse than what these capitalists, american bastards are doing.
eurpeans charge per KB!!!
fucking rip off
i think that i now feel better with these verizon, capitalist bastards

T-6005
01-15-2010, 12:34 PM
I get the internet on my laptop.

Just a thought.

Llamas
01-15-2010, 12:43 PM

Just a thought.

Whoa... really??? who'da thunk it?? Here I've been using my tiny little phone screen like a sucka...

But for serious... I moved into my apt mid-December, my roommate couldn't seem to figure out how to get internet, and I was useless cause I don't speak Czech... by the time I figured it out (because he really had no idea... I'm still unsure as to why it was so difficult...) it was December 21st, and nobody was working at the internet company - they were all already on vacation for the holidays. So we had to wait until January 4th. It sucked major amounts of ass. I went to my work to use internet a couple times, but they were also closed for most of the holidays... so it was either phone, or absolutely no internet for two weeks. Good, good times, my friend. Of course, had I known the cost, I would've gone those two weeks without internet...

_Lost_
01-15-2010, 01:28 PM
Where's Karin? She can come share her story about the phone company that tried to charge her like $500 for a phone that didn't work. Fuck these people.
As of right now, I still owe Verizon $699.

Oh, that's really cool. Classy move on the phone manufacturers. Or whoever decides that. And there's no option to change what the button does? Terrible.
Intentional. There has been a lot of controversy about it lately because verizon has been nickel and dimeing the hell out of people with that function. Its designed to get hit when your phone is in your pocket or purse so they can charge you that $1.99. Over millions of phones, that adds up to a lot.

Once, I played Rockband on my Verizon phone for 15 minutes and they charged me $10 in internet use. I forget how many kbs you get for $1.99. This charge is also part of the $699 I owe.

And Bri, to be honest, two weeks without net is nothing. I spent the last month without my computer at all. All my files out of reach. Talk about torture.

Llamas
01-15-2010, 01:36 PM
As of right now, I still owe Verizon $699.

Intentional. There has been a lot of controversy about it lately because verizon has been nickel and dimeing the hell out of people with that function. Its designed to get hit when your phone is in your pocket or purse so they can charge you that $1.99. Over millions of phones, that adds up to a lot.

Once, I played Rockband on my Verizon phone for 15 minutes and they charged me $10 in internet use. I forget how many kbs you get for $1.99. This charge is also part of the $699 I owe.
My god, what the hell to ALL of the above. Can you at least lock the keypad so pressing any buttons does nothing?

And Bri, to be honest, two weeks without net is nothing. I spent the last month without my computer at all. All my files out of reach. Talk about torture.
Oh man, that would be horrible... well yeah, normally, two weeks without internet would be nothing. I've gone much longer. But I wasn't working, literally all my friends had gone home for the holidays, and all shops were closed - nothing was open. I had absolutely NOTHING to do for two weeks... and since most of what I own is in Minnesota, I had very, very little to do. It was literally the worst "vacation" I've ever had. I was asleep for considerably more than half of it.

_Lost_
01-15-2010, 01:51 PM
My god, what the hell to ALL of the above. Can you at least lock the keypad so pressing any buttons does nothing?

Sure you can lock the keypad on any phone, but have you ever butt dialed anyone? It used to be a ton harder to unlock your phone via ass, but they make it easier and easier so they can have extra avenues through which they can charge you.

Llamas
01-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Sure you can lock the keypad on any phone, but have you ever butt dialed anyone? It used to be a ton harder to unlock your phone via ass, but they make it easier and easier so they can have extra avenues through which they can charge you.

Huh, I haven't ever had that happen, but it makes sense. I usually don't keep my phone anywhere that buttons get pressed (it's generally in my front jacket pocket by itself, in a thick fabric sleeve), but I can definitely see how easily that could happen if it's in your back pocket or purse. You can password protect your phone, which I'm sure is their excuse, but who wants to enter in some password every single time they want to make a call? The whole thing is completely messed up.

By the way, this sounded so dirty/wrong:
It used to be a ton harder to unlock your phone via ass, but they make it easier and easier so they can have extra avenues through which they can charge you.

Maybe my mind is deeply in the gutter tonight...

nieh
01-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Huh, I haven't ever had that happen, but it makes sense. I usually don't keep my phone anywhere that buttons get pressed (it's generally in my front jacket pocket by itself, in a thick fabric sleeve), but I can definitely see how easily that could happen if it's in your back pocket or purse. You can password protect your phone, which I'm sure is their excuse, but who wants to enter in some password every single time they want to make a call? The whole thing is completely messed up.

My first cell phone, whenever you locked it, required pushing a button, then entering a password to unlock it. My current one and the one before it required just pushing two buttons. Plus, there's always the occasional instance where I just plain forget to lock it. Even though it's normally habit for me, I still occasionally forget.

Rag Doll
01-15-2010, 02:34 PM
I have no internet plan for my cell phone, and on the rare occasion I use it (normally accidentally since the big round button in the middle of the phone that makes you want to press it takes you straight to the internet and it's been pressed in my pocket more times than I can count) I get charged per kb, which is some ridiculous amount that normally overtakes the amount you'd pay for the unlimited data plan in like 20 minutes worth of usage.

Yes, same thing for me.

And to unlock my phone, you press 2 buttons....any 2 buttons. Any idea how easy that happens in a pocket/purse?

I *nevereverevereverever* use the internet on my phone because I get a per KB charge. I've never even heard of just getting charged the monthly rate unless you already added that package to your phone....

SweetTatyana
01-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Even when you do add those packages its still expensive. A friend of mine has a crackberry, she plays on her facebook and junk on her phone, pays at least $120 a month on her phone bill.

nieh
01-15-2010, 05:46 PM
It depends on what kind of plan you have. My basic call/text plan is like $50, but my carrier has other plans that go well over $100 just for calls/texts. If I added unlimited internet to the plan I have, it would still only total like $65.

T-6005
01-15-2010, 05:56 PM
My phone closes so I don't assdial.

I'm perfect.

Rag Doll
01-15-2010, 06:04 PM
It depends on what kind of plan you have. My basic call/text plan is like $50, but my carrier has other plans that go well over $100 just for calls/texts. If I added unlimited internet to the plan I have, it would still only total like $65.

My plan is like $80-90, I guess (hard to say, my parents are on my plan so my total is like $135ish). I have what amounts to unlimited minutes because I have so much rollover and barely talk on the phone. I also have unlimited texts...and I pay for the family plan of unlimited texts, which is more expensive (but otherwise my father goes over every month...sigh). I'd really like to get a crackberry, but I can't afford the extra $30/month at the moment.

Paint_It_Black
01-15-2010, 11:26 PM

I'm perfect.

Same here. Plus my phone only cost $10. And it's pay as you go, so I can't get any surprising bills. Or any bills at all.

I'm more perfect.

Brianna, seriously, what were you thinking using a service without knowing the cost first? I hope you've learned your lesson. You got off pretty damn easily, all things considered. Yeah, the price is ridiculous, but they can set it at whatever they like. You don't have to use it.

I don't mean to be unsympathetic. But damn.

Llamas
01-16-2010, 12:43 AM
Well, again, this is what I was thinking:

I know it's my fault, but that doesn't make it cool that the companies gouge people like this.... but you see, the provider I use here is the same provider I used for over two years in the US. When I read the contract and the info online about my service plan, the service appeared to be the same as what I had in the US... the software in the phone is the same... etc. I had fair reason to assume the internet usage would work similarly.

I pay the same per minute, the same per text... etc as I did, with the same provider that I had in the US for the last two years. Yes, I assumed that I'd pay the same for internet, as well, and since I had no way to find out, anyway... there you go. Like I said, I know it's my fault... I've said that several times. The point of the thread was never "poor me" but rather, "wtf phone companies". So I don't know why you're telling me again what I already know, unless you didn't read anything I said in the thread?

Paint_It_Black
01-16-2010, 01:38 AM
I think I sounded more harsh than I really intended. And although I read the entire thread, I perhaps didn't pay quite as much attention to the part you reposted in bold as I should have. That's the downside to posting at work. Distractions. Yes, in retrospect, that is a decent reason for assuming everything would be the same.

And yeah, phone companies suck. Definitely agree.

Llamas
01-16-2010, 02:21 AM

I'm perfect.

By the way, I really enjoyed this post.

I miss having a slider phone - in order to do anything, I had to open it. Now I have a normal bar phone, but it's not really a problem... I have to push the middle key, which is indented and surrounded by the raised directional keys, followed by the + key... the keys don't press overly easily, so I've never accidentally unlocked my phone or anything.

Same here. Plus my phone only cost $10. And it's pay as you go, so I can't get any surprising bills. Or any bills at all.

I'm more perfect.

And about this... I wish pay as you go was the best option for me. I've had pay as you go twice before, and it was fine - I don't talk on the phone much. However, one big problem for me is that I'm super lazy, so I never buy refills for my phone. I'd always run out, and have no minutes for two weeks, haha. The other thing right now is just that I get a much, much better deal by being on the service my work is on, because all my calls and texts with anyone from work (and since most of my friends are from work, like 90% of everything is covered by this) are completely free. I only have like 5 people that I call who are not covered by this. It's great.

Until I try using the internet. Then it's not so great. :-P

Paint_It_Black
01-16-2010, 02:45 AM
I also seem to end up going a week or two without minutes. But I just don't care. I use my phone as a clock more than anything else.

I'm sure I'd feel differently if I didn't have a landline though. I expect most of you who can't live without your cell phones probably don't have landlines anymore.

Plus I'd probably be considered highly antisocial by most standards. I don't particularly care if I go weeks without talking to anyone. And I don't need a phone for work or anything.

It's weird, when I was a kid I used to love answering the phone and would always run to get it first. Now I generally ignore my phone and figure I'll just check the voicemail in a few minutes. Or a few days. Whatev.

Llamas
01-16-2010, 02:59 AM
Yeah, no land line here... haven't had one since 2003.

What I find terribly annoying here is that literally NOBODY has voice mail. They don't like it, they don't use it. Nobody has really given me a clear reason for this - some people say they don't like that they have to pay (like, it uses minutes) to leave a voice mail, others say they'd rather text, and some just can't understand the reason for it. But like, the entire country doesn't use voice mail, and they get really annoyed if someone, like me, has it. They don't even know what people record for their voice mail box. It is so irritating. Oh, and they all wait like 8 rings to answer their phones. I've said, if you don't wanna leave a message, you just hang up before the voice mail starts. And they say, but how do you know when it's gonna start? I say, generally they start after about 4 rings. And they say, That's not enough time for people to answer their phone anyway!!! haha... wtf

Paint_It_Black
01-16-2010, 03:06 AM
You know how some people still do that whole "leave a message after the beep" thing and you find yourself wondering who the fuck needs to be told that anymore?

Now I know.

Llamas
01-16-2010, 03:20 AM
You know how some people still do that whole "leave a message after the beep" thing and you find yourself wondering who the fuck needs to be told that anymore?

Now I know.

Haha. Yeah, I wonder that, too. Though I often have a hard time recording my message because I feel like, everything besides my name is completely obvious and unnecessary. "Hello, you've reached Brianna. I'm not here right now (obviously), so please leave a message (obviously) and I'll call you back (hopefully obviously)." One of my friends ends hers with, "Leave a message and I'll call you back... 10 minutes sooner if you sing a show tune." I dig it.

_Lost_
01-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Maybe my mind is deeply in the gutter tonight...
;) maybe not.

I miss having a slider phone - in order to do anything, I had to open it.
I have a slider phone. It locks automatically when I close it, but that doesn't stop it from mysteriously unlocking and buttdialing people. I need to get a sleeve for it or something.

I've got a prepaid phone now. The same company before I got verizon. At least with them, your phone can't connect to the internet unless you have signed up for it. The only thing my phone can get to, if it connects, is the account balance page, which is free.

Paint_It_Black
01-16-2010, 08:03 AM
I have a slider phone. It locks automatically when I close it, but that doesn't stop it from mysteriously unlocking and buttdialing people. I need to get a sleeve for it or something.

Get a flip phone. They're clearly the superior design. Plus, you get to flip it open like a Star Trek communicator. Nothing could ever top that.

Tizzalicious
01-16-2010, 08:05 AM
Get a flip phone. They're clearly the superior design. Plus, you get to flip it open like a Star Trek communicator. Nothing could ever top that.

So true. Especially the last part.

Paint_It_Black
01-16-2010, 08:24 AM
I like to imagine Per holding a gun to your head as you typed that.

T-6005
01-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Per's phaser ain't set to stun.

Paint_It_Black
01-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Better off going with a disruptor then. Shows you mean business.

ninthz
01-16-2010, 10:15 AM
This is my phone:
http://runnerskitchen.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/samsung-eternity-cellular.jpg

I like my phone. I understand the limitations of my contract with AT&T. I adhere to these. If I were to fuck up and incur overage costs, I would handle them. Owning and operating a cell-u-lar phone is not diff-i-cult.

Oh wait, Llamas.

_Lost_
01-16-2010, 11:45 AM

I despise flip phones. Had one before. You won't ever catch me with one again.

T-6005
01-16-2010, 11:49 AM
I once had a flip phone that made a sound like a sword being unsheathed whenever I opened it.

I loved that phone, sexual innuendo and all.

Little_Miss_1565
01-16-2010, 11:52 AM
I think I'm going to get a Droid Eris soon. Stooooked.

Josh -- quit pocket dialing the internet, get a murse!

ninthz
01-16-2010, 11:57 AM
The Droid is pretty sweet. BE SURE TO USE THE APP WHERE YOU BLOW ON THE PHONE AND THE SCREEN FOGS OVER SO YOU CAN WRITE ON IT WITH YOUR FINGER AND THE CONDENSATION DRIPS DOWN THE SCREEN.

JohnnyNemesis
01-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Droid Eris is rather baller, but I'm curious as to what the Nexus One jumpoff is gonna be like.

Little_Miss_1565
01-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Droid Eris is rather baller, but I'm curious as to what the Nexus One jumpoff is gonna be like.

Nexus One's interface is not cute. I was like, um, really?

Kitten
01-16-2010, 03:21 PM

Just a thought.

Make sure that it a capped plan. that is, either unlimited, or capped at say 10 gig and if you go over, it just slows you down.

Paint_It_Black
01-17-2010, 03:51 AM
I despise flip phones. Had one before. You won't ever catch me with one again.

You missed the assdialing, didn't you?

Llamas
01-17-2010, 04:07 AM
I actually don't care for flip phones, either. But I think they've come a long way since I had one last... I used to hate how thick they were. Some of the modern ones are much thinner. But mostly, the spring or whatever started to get tired and it became too easy to open/close. I've seen that happen in a lot of flip phones. And they're only tolerable if they have a good sub-screen on the top. The kind that have no screen are horrible cause you never know who's calling til you open it. Lame.

Sliders are the best.

Paint_It_Black
01-17-2010, 04:44 AM
I've had my $10 flip phone for something like three years. It's small, light, and the only thing that has gone wrong with it is the screen has started to degrade and become a little difficult to read. But after three years that's pretty awesome for a $10 phone. And never once have I made an accidental call or purchased internet unintentionally. Oh, and flipping it open to see who is calling doesn't seem too bad to me. Perhaps I'm just not a busy person, but I can generally spare 0.5 seconds out of my day to see who is calling me.

And you seem to be ignoring the hours of fun generated by flipping your phone open like a Star Trek communicator. Never gets old.

Llamas
01-17-2010, 05:37 AM
And you seem to be ignoring the hours of fun generated by flipping your phone open like a Star Trek communicator. Never gets old.

See, but I'm not a dork. :)

Tizzalicious
01-17-2010, 06:33 AM
I like to imagine Per holding a gun to your head as you typed that.

I actually really do love Star Trek. Weird as that may seem.

Per's phone makes a communicator sound when he gets a text. It's pretty awesome.

The only flipphones that are bad are the ones that don't have a screen on top. Mine does, so I can see who calls/if I have a text/what time it is without opening it.

Paint_It_Black
01-17-2010, 07:31 AM
What's so terrible about having to open your phone? I really don't get it.

Oh, you are. You're just the kind that likes Buffy and not Star Trek. Jesus Christ you're like my wife. Perhaps that's why I'm sometimes inexplicably mean to you for reasons even I cannot fathom.

_Lost_
01-17-2010, 09:30 AM
Sliders are more fun. Every time I open it, I feel like I'm unsheathing my mights dagger of cellular doom. ON GUARD!

What's so terrible about having to open your phone? I really don't get it.
It lacks discreetness. If you're hanging out with friends or in a class/meeting, you don't want to have to bust out your phone in all its glory just to see if you need to dart out to answer a call or if the time when you can escape is approaching or not.

Oh, you are. You're just the kind that likes Buffy and not Star Trek.
This. Llamas, saying you aren't a dork is like saying Barney isn't a fat, purple dinosaur.

nieh
01-17-2010, 09:51 AM
I've had my $10 flip phone for something like three years. It's small, light, and the only thing that has gone wrong with it is the screen has started to degrade and become a little difficult to read. But after three years that's pretty awesome for a $10 phone. And never once have I made an accidental call or purchased internet unintentionally.

None of my other phones were flip phones or anything, but I never had a problem with them accidentally going online or doing things that would cost me money like I do with this one. The worst I got was one of them would sometimes add contacts for gibberish names/numbers in my pocket if I forgot to lock it. That one had the internet available but you had to actually make an effort to get to it.

Paint_It_Black
01-17-2010, 10:51 AM
But Lost, if you whipped it out in all its glory it couldn't keep unsheathing in your butt.

_Lost_
01-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Oh my...

Llamas
01-17-2010, 11:33 AM

This. Llamas, saying you aren't a dork is like saying Barney isn't a fat, purple dinosaur.

The smiley-face was to convey sarcasm. Nevermind...

Sliders are more fun.

True.

JohnnyNemesis
01-17-2010, 12:30 PM
But Lost, if you whipped it out in all its glory it couldn't keep unsheathing in your butt.

Ew.hdubjfdi

Paint_It_Black
01-17-2010, 12:58 PM
The smiley-face was to convey sarcasm.

If you can't do it with words alone you might as well just come right out and say "I'm being sarcastic" :P

Llamas
01-17-2010, 01:04 PM
If you can't do it with words alone you might as well just come right out and say "I'm being sarcastic" :P

I hate this place so much.

T-6005
01-17-2010, 02:27 PM

Waahhh, you guys don't get my sarcasm!

0r4ng3
01-17-2010, 02:47 PM
All of this trying to figure out who's being sarcastic and who isn't is making my head hurt.

IamSam
01-17-2010, 03:14 PM
؟

That is all.

Llamas
01-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Waahhh, you guys don't get my sarcasm!

It's really just weird to have *so many people* in one place who I need to explain every little detail to. I shouldn't have to say "I'm being sarcastic" after every sarcastic comment. But whatever, I'm done trying... You guys can all think I'm an asshole and disagree with everything I say, it's cool. :cool: If people really think that I'm trying to insult them by calling them a dork, even though I'm as dorky as they come, whatevs. If people really think I secretly watch everything my roommate eats so I can confront him about his diet, whatevs. I don't know how to convey sarcasm to you people... soooooooo I quit!

Paint_It_Black
01-18-2010, 02:30 AM
Do you really think anyone took your "dork" comment seriously? I took it as humorous and responded humorously in return. I'm fairly positive Lost did too. If you think we took your initial comment seriously perhaps you need to re-evaluate who might be doing the misunderstanding here. Perhaps you now believe so firmly that everyone here misunderstands you constantly that you are seeing it where it's not actually happening.

But whatever, I'm done trying... You guys can all think I'm an asshole and disagree with everything I say, it's cool.

Yeah, I think that would be good. Honestly, this is a message board for a punk band, you shouldn't need to be encouraged to just be yourself, not worry about what people think and just generally not be a trendy asshole.

Cool 2 h8 yo.

you people...

JNem wasn't even arguing with you.

_Lost_
01-18-2010, 07:38 AM
Jeeze Brianna... Don't take us so seriously...

And for the record PiB, NOTHING is getting unsheathed in my butt...

JohnnyNemesis
01-18-2010, 08:13 AM
JNem wasn't even arguing with you.

Holy motherfucking win!

Harleyquiiinn
01-18-2010, 08:41 AM

Ah ah ! :D

Sometime, when I call people, I start the conversation with:

"Mulder, it's me."

Llamas
01-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Sorry guys, I had such a shitty week and was probably ridiculously crabby. And every once in a while, when somebody takes something they misunderstood and argues with me forever, I probably do overanalyze or misread some things. Plus, normally I don't care that much if I have to explain myself here. It's weird, but not exactly that much of a bother.

PS I still hate you all, anyway.

SweetTatyana
01-18-2010, 10:56 AM
lol we love you llamas :)

Llamas
01-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Okay fine, I'll let you slide... but I hate everyone else.

_Lost_
01-18-2010, 11:20 AM
Fine, I'm never ever gonna send that pumpkin pie filling... NEVER!

Btw, how'd making your first pumpkin pie from scratch go? We haven't talked in a while.

Llamas
01-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Fine, I'm never ever gonna send that pumpkin pie filling... NEVER!
Oh, um, right. You're on the okay list, too.

But everyone else....

Btw, how'd making your first pumpkin pie from scratch go? We haven't talked in a while.

It didn't. You can't buy corn syrup or vanilla here. Like, at all. When I described corn syrup, they took me by maple syrup. Then asked if I could just use sugar. Regarding vanilla, they asked if I could use vanilla-flavored sugar. wtf, cz.

Oh, and they don't have butternut squash. The pumpkins that had been acquired for me were carving pumpkins.

_Lost_
01-18-2010, 12:01 PM
aww... well it was worth a shot. That's what you get for moving to a third world country.

Llamas
01-18-2010, 12:04 PM
srsly. but it's okay cause then I just came home and partied in my futuristic rainbow light shower.

_Lost_
01-18-2010, 12:12 PM
My shower is tiny. I wish I had a futuristic rainbow light shower...

Llamas
01-18-2010, 12:16 PM
It's not the size that matters... it's the brightness of the rainbow lights.

I really am trying to figure out a way to have a party in my bathroom. It seemed to have been the location of all the excitement on Saturday night. I might have to take a video.

Harleyquiiinn
01-18-2010, 12:24 PM
PS I still hate you all, anyway.

Soooooo, is this sarcastic ? :D

By the way, I read it was Blue Monday today, the most depressing day of the year. Where people are moody and depressed, so maybe you were just one day too soon. Mine was today. I hate the world today. I'm sending hate mails to all my friends right now.

SweetTatyana
01-18-2010, 12:27 PM
partied in my futuristic rainbow light shower.

? explain!
Man how do you bake without vanilla?

Llamas
01-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Soooooo, is this sarcastic ? :D

Well, definitely not in your case.

? explain!
Man how do you bake without vanilla?

See: my facebook photo album featuring photos from my apt. You'll see, and be very jealous.

And I have no idea how you bake without vanilla. I thought vanilla and corn syrup were like, standard kitchen staples; everyone has them, and they don't even think about it. It's kinda like owning a cork screw, or a bottle opener.

Harleyquiiinn
01-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Well, definitely not in your case.

Awwww, I hate you too :)

Ha... who am I kidding, I can't hate anybody... I'm handicapped in hatred :(

Llamas
01-18-2010, 12:33 PM
By the way, I read it was Blue Monday today, the most depressing day of the year. Where people are moody and depressed, so maybe you were just one day too soon. Mine was today. I hate the world today. I'm sending hate mails to all my friends right now.

I had a pretty great day today, actually. I was like an entire week too soon. And it's not even my time o the month.

nieh
01-18-2010, 12:38 PM
And I have no idea how you bake without vanilla. I thought vanilla and corn syrup were like, standard kitchen staples; everyone has them, and they don't even think about it.

Corn syrup? What an American!

_Lost_
01-18-2010, 03:08 PM
I've never used corn syrup to make anything. No one in my family does. Maybe its a Canadian thing...

Little_Miss_1565
01-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Yeah, corn syrup is pretty intensely American/British. Though by the British thing (kinda more like treacle) would make me think it would be a practice in Canadia too.

Llamas
01-18-2010, 09:52 PM
It is funny how I'd never realized how American corn syrup was until I tried to make pumpkin pie. I prefer to use sugar when possible, but some recipes just call for corn syrup.

But still, how do you not have vanilla? Vanilla flavored sugar?? wtf.

Little_Miss_1565
01-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Vanilla extract or the beans themselves?

Llamas
01-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Actual vanilla beans aren't so widely available, so I'm not shocked not to find those anywhere here... but vanilla extract - even imitation vanilla extract - doesn't seem to exist here. They just have vanilla flavored sugar.

_Lost_
01-19-2010, 12:03 PM
i'm so sad that you missed my calling you canadian.

Llamas
01-19-2010, 12:18 PM
i've never used corn syrup to make anything. No one in my family does. Maybe its a canadian thing...

EFF YOU MlNNESOTA IS NOT CANADA DONTCHA KNOW!

Harleyquiiinn
01-19-2010, 12:48 PM
EFF YOU MlNNESOTA IS NOT CANADA DONTCHA KNOW!

You know I have a strange affection for Minesota, because that's where the Ducks were founded :cool:

Llamas
01-19-2010, 01:01 PM
You know I have a strange affection for Minesota, because that's where the Ducks were founded :cool:

That's not strange at all. The Mighty Ducks might be the best movie series ever created. I wanna go roller blading through the Mall of America now.

Harleyquiiinn
01-19-2010, 01:05 PM
That's not strange at all. The Mighty Ducks might be the best movie series ever created. I wanna go roller blading through the Mall of America now.

You know, I really love you right now. People who appreciate the Mighty Ducks like they should are so rare !

Llamas
01-19-2010, 01:08 PM
You know, I really love you right now. People who appreciate the Mighty Ducks like they should are so rare !

Not in Minnesota they're not! It's a requirement. And sometimes they actually air the entire series of movies on tv. And we all watch Mighty Ducks for like 4 hours straight.

D2 is my favorite. And yours?

Harleyquiiinn
01-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Not in Minnesota they're not! It's a requirement. And sometimes they actually air the entire series of movies on tv. And we all watch Mighty Ducks for like 4 hours straight.

D2 is my favorite. And yours?

Oh ! That sounds like a place I should be !

My favorite is D1, I like the fairy tale mood of it. Besides, I like Hans and the actor who plays Coach Reilly (Lane Smith... he died a few years ago... ).

But I like D2 very much too. Especially when they come back on the ice wearing the Mighty Ducks jerseys :cool: Don't you get frustrated that Charlie doesn't play the finals though ? I mean, he creates that cool trick... but still, he doesn't play...

D3 is the less good, by far. But I like the scene where Gordon gets their scolarship back... But it seems so weird... like they play the Olympics in D2 and suddenly, they just play to prove themselves in a provate school ?
It's still good though...

Who is your favorite character ?

_Lost_
01-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Minnesota ~ Canada

Llamas
01-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Oh ! That sounds like a place I should be !

My favorite is D1, I like the fairy tale mood of it. Besides, I like Hans and the actor who plays Coach Reilly (Lane Smith... he died a few years ago... ).

But I like D2 very much too. Especially when they come back on the ice wearing the Mighty Ducks jerseys :cool: Don't you get frustrated that Charlie doesn't play the finals though ? I mean, he creates that cool trick... but still, he doesn't play...

D3 is the less good, by far. But I like the scene where Gordon gets their scolarship back... But it seems so weird... like they play the Olympics in D2 and suddenly, they just play to prove themselves in a provate school ?
It's still good though...

Who is your favorite character ?

They didn't play in the olympics in D2, just some junior goodwill games! Get your facts straight! :P I wasn't frustrated by that... but the knucklepuck is awesomeeeee (charlie created it? I thought... the guy that Kenan played invented it? Or maybe the cowboy? Anyway... D3 is totally the lamest. Gordon is barely in it... it was too sappy... and most of the plot was uncreative. But still, mighty ducks. So it's awesome anyway.

One of my friends was just talking about mighty ducks on facebook recently, and mentioned that while watching, he paused it for about 5 minutes while he tried to figure out what district # his hometown would've been - he decided it would've been district 9. Instead of thinking he was lame, I considered watching the movie and checking myself. :-P

Harleyquiiinn
01-19-2010, 01:53 PM
They didn't play in the olympics in D2, just some junior goodwill games! Get your facts straight! :P I wasn't frustrated by that... but the knucklepuck is awesomeeeee (charlie created it? I thought... the guy that Kenan played invented it? Or maybe the cowboy? Anyway... D3 is totally the lamest. Gordon is barely in it... it was too sappy... and most of the plot was uncreative. But still, mighty ducks. So it's awesome anyway.

One of my friends was just talking about mighty ducks on facebook recently, and mentioned that while watching, he paused it for about 5 minutes while he tried to figure out what district # his hometown would've been - he decided it would've been district 9. Instead of thinking he was lame, I considered watching the movie and checking myself. :-P

Ah ah ! You are right, although I am absolutely sure they say "Olympique Junior" in the french version... I never seen them in english actually... except the 1st one :o
And I am not talking about the knuccklepuck. Charlie creates a trick during the finals with the puck being sent over the Iceland players right to Russ (Kenan) who then does his knucklepuck which is definitely awesome. Although I really like the Flying V too...

So, would you have been a duck or a hawk ? (or any other team ?) :D

You didn't tell me who your favorite character was :p

Paint_It_Black
01-19-2010, 01:56 PM
I kind of assumed that Minnesota is like Canada. Just with more sick people, unemployment and litter.

nieh
01-19-2010, 02:13 PM
he decided it would've been district 9.

Your friend lives in South Africa?

Llamas
01-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Ah ah ! You are right, although I am absolutely sure they say "Olympique Junior" in the french version... I never seen them in english actually... except the 1st one :o
And I am not talking about the knuccklepuck. Charlie creates a trick during the finals with the puck being sent over the Iceland players right to Russ (Kenan) who then does his knucklepuck which is definitely awesome. Although I really like the Flying V too...
Ahh I see. Flying V is awesomeness.

So, would you have been a duck or a hawk ? (or any other team ?) :D
What kind of question is that??!

You didn't tell me who your favorite character was :p
Oh! Hmm... well you gotta love Goldberg. I always loved Connie, and Fulton.

I once took a "which mighty ducks character are you" quiz and got Averman... I'm still pissed about that.

I kind of assumed that Minnesota is like Canada. Just with more sick people, unemployment and litter.

Wait... what??

Harleyquiiinn
01-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Ahh I see. Flying V is awesomeness.

What kind of question is that??!

Oh! Hmm... well you gotta love Goldberg. I always loved Connie, and Fulton.

I once took a "which mighty ducks character are you" quiz and got Averman... I'm still pissed about that.

Wait... what??

You shouldn't ! Averman is great :cool: (Do you still have that test ? :D)

Paint_It_Black
01-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Wait... what??

Canada, but in the US.

_Lost_
01-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Basically.

Llamas
01-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Basically, you guys are lame. LAME.

You shouldn't ! Averman is great :cool: (Do you still have that test ? :D)

No, I don't... it wasn't that great of one, anyway, but I'll let ya know if I come across it again. And Averman was funny as hell, but do I wanna be compared to him? Umm, not so much.

Now I really wanna download the entire series. And invite friends over for a marathon. Cause they are some of the best movies ever. Quack! Quack!

Harleyquiiinn
01-19-2010, 11:29 PM
basically, you guys are lame. Lame.

No, i don't... It wasn't that great of one, anyway, but i'll let ya know if i come across it again. And averman was funny as hell, but do i wanna be compared to him? Umm, not so much.

Now i really wanna download the entire series. And invite friends over for a marathon. Cause they are some of the best movies ever. Quack! Quack!

we-will-we-will-QUACK-you !