PDA

View Full Version : NFL games only have 11 minutes of action

Paint_It_Black
01-16-2010, 07:40 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Study-NFL-games-only-have-11-minutes-of-action?urn=nfl,213941

I've always believed this to be the dullest sport ever, or at least the dullest popular sport. Nice to have some facts to arm myself with now.

How the hell does anyone enjoy this? Seriously. I want to know.If you like this sport explain yourself immediately.

It's like watching paint dry, except it takes longer and has commercial breaks. How do you stand it?

Sidewinder
01-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Depends on what you call action. All the strategy, audibles, etc before the plays are crucial and interesting if you know what's going on.

Also, 11 minutes of awesome action > 60 minutes of boring-ass whatever sport you like.

DMelges
01-16-2010, 09:45 AM
I've never been a big fan of soccer. Always found it to be boring. Of how you can spend the entire game (over an hour), and not even have one point. The ball goes back and forth, back and forth, and for nothing. I don't know.. I guess in Football, people are waiting for someone to break a leg or or something.

ZeQuebecois
01-16-2010, 10:05 AM
I've never been a big fan of soccer. Always found it to be boring. Of how you can spend the entire game (over an hour), and not even have one point. The ball goes back and forth, back and forth, and for nothing. I don't know.. I guess in Football, people are waiting for someone to break a leg or or something.

I also disliked watching soccer befores I started playing it. I guess it's like every other sport, you have to understand (in my case a little bit) the strategy behind what you see to enjoy. In my opinion, watching sport only becomes interesting when you can discuss the coach's decision, the player's action, etc.

That being said, for me, hockey and rugby are the two most interesting sports to watch. Fast play, rough play, some strategy... :rolleyes:

Al Coholic
01-16-2010, 10:08 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Study-NFL-games-only-have-11-minutes-of-action?urn=nfl,213941

I've always believed this to be the dullest sport ever, or at least the dullest popular sport. Nice to have some facts to arm myself with now.

How the hell does anyone enjoy this? Seriously. I want to know.If you like this sport explain yourself immediately.

It's like watching paint dry, except it takes longer and has commercial breaks. How do you stand it?

First of all, I watch sports socially. So it's a group thing, and it's awsome that you don't have to stay glued for the one goal that may or may not happen. Plays stop and start and you can chill in between. Football does have stoppage of play, which yes, means that between plays not much is happening. However, there's still plenty of exitement. Unlike Basketball, Hockey, and Soccer where play is continuous, feild position actually matters. So you're nerves are racked when your opponent's near your endzone, your progressively excited when your team moves the ball, etc.

I can't think of any better game as far as replays go. Retardedly difficult one-handed receptions, big hits on a guy, perfectly aimed passes. Was it a fumble or wasn't it? Did he get both feet in bounds????? HOLY SHIT HE GRAZED THE SECOND FOOT! The replays can have as much excitement to them as the game.

Now, soccer. Ok, nothing important happens besides goals. There's no real value to feild position, so moving the ball up and down the feild isn't exciting. Unlike the NFL where a turnover can decide a game, in soccer possesion always changes. So a steal is nice but doesn't carry much significance. All you're left with is goals, and an hour and a half for a 1-0 finish is significantly more boring.

ninthz
01-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Once you realize every athlete is a component of a larger mechanism football becomes a lot more awesome.

And if you think football is dull you've obviously never watched a game of baseball.

DMelges
01-16-2010, 10:20 AM
First of all, I watch sports socially. So it's a group thing, and it's awsome that you don't have to stay glued for the one goal that may or may not happen. Plays stop and start and you can chill in between. Football does have stoppage of play, which yes, means that between plays not much is happening. However, there's still plenty of exitement. Unlike Basketball, Hockey, and Soccer where play is continuous, feild position actually matters. So you're nerves are racked when your opponent's near your endzone, your progressively excited when your team moves the ball, etc.

I can't think of any better game as far as replays go. Retardedly difficult one-handed receptions, big hits on a guy, perfectly aimed passes. Was it a fumble or wasn't it? Did he get both feet in bounds????? HOLY SHIT HE GRAZED THE SECOND FOOT! The replays can have as much excitement to them as the game.

Now, soccer. Ok, nothing important happens besides goals. There's no real value to feild position, so moving the ball up and down the feild isn't exciting. Unlike the NFL where a turnover can decide a game, in soccer possesion always changes. So a steal is nice but doesn't carry much significance. All you're left with is goals, and an hour and a half for a 1-0 finish is significantly more boring.

You're right about the social part of sports, and the replays. Sitting around the couch with friends and beer to watch the game is very exciting. And Footballs replays are the best, for sure.

But I disagree with you on one thing: I think continuous play is a very good thing. Basketball for example, points are being made every minute, and the entire game is very fast paced. And also, Basketball, just as Football and Hockey, have gameplay 'tricks'. Different plays and ways to score that keep the audience on the edge of their seat. Soccer also has tricks, but you really don't see that much of them during a real game.

Everyone enjoys a slam dunk.

So what I mean to say is in the NFL, there is alot of stoppage of play. So you enjoy the 11 minutes of action, little by little. As in Basketball and other sports, you have no stoppage, and you are always on the edge of your seat, because points come and go really fast.

ninthz
01-16-2010, 10:39 AM
I think basketball is boring for exactly the reasons you just outlined. Points don't really mean anything, individually, in basketball so scoring doesn't really mean much.

jacknife737
01-16-2010, 01:44 PM
I find basketball to be incredibly boring until the last 2 minutes.

Football is fantastic to watch, but you really need to understand the game: it's not a game of individuals, but rather a unified machine where for a play to work properly you need every part of that machine to function the way its suppsoed to. And it is literally a game of inches. One part of the game which i absolutely despise is the way teams will play the clock in the final few minutes: taking a knee is a fucking cop-out.

The best sport to watch imo, is still hockey. It's the fastest game on tv: things are constantly changing, and it's not like basketball where the scoring really doesn't matter until near the end of the game.

Little_Miss_1565
01-16-2010, 01:51 PM
There is deffo a lot more than 11 minutes of dudes beating up on eachother. which is awesome.

mspunk13
01-16-2010, 02:39 PM
In my opinion, this can come down to one's nationality. Although Poland (my country) sucks at soccer, it's still our national sport and still, every kid here loves and plays soccer, and grabbing a beer in front of a TV and watching a soccer game must be one of the most important things ever for a regular Polish man lol

Then, we love ski jumping because Adam Malysz is one of the best ski jumpers in the history. We like volleyball, because we're good at it. People started to like tennis here when Agnieszka Radwanska started achieving something, well actually A LOT in WTA tour.

But typical American sports, like football (not soccer, which by the way is also called football and Brits love to argue about that) and baseball, are called 'stupid' here and only 'dumb Americans play that sh!t". And I bet it's the same in the US lol!

Sidewinder
01-16-2010, 03:40 PM
I find basketball to be incredibly boring until the last 2 minutes.

Oh this is so absolutely true.

Llamas
01-16-2010, 05:30 PM
As far as team sports go, my opinion is:

Basketball (NCAA, not NBA)
American football (NCAA and NFL)
Hockey (NCAA and NHL)
Baseball (MLB)
Golf
Soccer

I may be exaggerating about the last two... but soccer is soooo boring.

Why I like American football is mostly as outlined by Al. I love how important every play and every drive is. I love the math and the intelligence behind every single play. Everything is planned out logically; it's almost like a map.

However, I disagree about the arguments against basketball. I hated basketball at first, and thought it was lame... points mean nothing, nothing is planned. But the spontaneity and fast, constant action is awesomely exciting.

The thing is, every sport except soccer has something to offer:

Basketball has high scoring adrenaline pumped slam dunking action.
American football has hard hits, carefully planned out moves, and a lot of serious buildup.

Hockey has tons of violence and is incredibly fast-paced.

Baseball has the atmosphere of being at the game, chilling with your beer and your hotdog - don't give no shits bout the game. And then you get excited about a grand slam or something. The 7th inning stretch is generally amusing.

Soccer has... what? No high scoring, no fast paced action, no careful planning, no relaxed summer atmosphere, no buildup... soccer is cool if you're there, up front, and able to watch a specific player up close and watch the athleticism... but otherwise, it's sooooooo boring.

I had 10 people over tonight to watch the NFL game... the two americans and I got bored because it was a bad game, but the non-americans were like "wtf, this game lasts wayyyyyy too long, and they stand around more than they play!" I understand their points, but once you understand the game and its complex rules, and have a team you like, it's really exciting.

JohnnyNemesis
01-16-2010, 05:41 PM
I hate soccer, but you gotta know that you're wrong to say that it has no careful planning. And most of the arguments that you and most other people use to explain why sports you like are awesome can easily be used to explain why soccer and sports you don't like are great (IT HAS GREAT STRATEGY! ONCE YOU HAVE A TEAM, IT'S EXCITING! NOTHING LIKE THE ATMOSPHERE OF A GAME etc.). The key with all these sports is whether the nature of the strategy and athleticism in that particular sport pique your interest or not. And it it doesn't, then it's like, whatevers.

WebDudette
01-16-2010, 05:45 PM
I didn't like UFC too much until I realized it was essentially a physical game of chess. Well, the lighter fights.

Llamas
01-16-2010, 05:58 PM
And most of the arguments that you and most other people use to explain why sports you like are awesome can easily be used to explain why soccer and sports you don't like are great (IT HAS GREAT STRATEGY! ONCE YOU HAVE A TEAM, IT'S EXCITING! NOTHING LIKE THE ATMOSPHERE OF A GAME etc.). The key with all these sports is whether the nature of the strategy and athleticism in that particular sport pique your interest or not. And it it doesn't, then it's like, whatevers.

I actually thought the exact same thing after I posted, and was going to come back to post about it. I feel like, what sports you're into has almost everything to do with what people you're surrounded with.

But I don't think strategy is an argument for most sports like American football. I love basketball more than anything, but the strategy doesn't even compare. And I think baseball has an unbeatable atmosphere, even though it's far from my favorite sport.

JohnnyNemesis
01-16-2010, 06:00 PM
the strategy doesn't even compare.

Excellent argument :P

Llamas
01-16-2010, 06:04 PM
I'm far too tired to give a good argument, maybe tomorrow... and stfu :mad:

Edit: just realized I never said anything about strategy in my original post. In my reply, I meant planning... organization/structure/whatever, not strategy.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-16-2010, 08:57 PM
It's rather ridiculous to say that points don't matter in basketball. Basketball is awesome because the game doesn't slip away from anyone all at once. It's so much more of a momentum game, and isn't decided by a couple of mistakes. It adds this whole new mental aspect to the game- when you find yourself getting down a couple more points at a time, how do you respond? Do you try to speed it up, slow it down? Shoot threes to get back into it quicker, or have the point guard pace the team and call a bunch of set plays? And these decisions are based 90% on instinct. Fuck strategy. I can appreciate strategy, but what's fun about it? It says more for an athlete if they can respond right on the spot rather than learn a bunch of complicated shit their coach tells them to do. It's not like football, when if one guy makes a great run, you're suddenly down 14 points late in the 4th quarter and OMGZ it's over. I like the constant lead changes. I definitely get more into basketball and yell at the TV the most, because it's so common to see the momentum shifting.

I actually find the last 2 minutes of basketball the most boring part by far, unless it's an exceptional game. All people do is intentionally foul. If I could change one rule in basketball, it would be to get rid of the bonus. It would take so much control away from the refs, and also make the end of games more like actual basketball rather than just free throw shooting contests.

Re: the strategy argument, football has done the best job of promoting its strategies to the public by far. Baseball, for example, doesn't do that as much. People know the names of football plays and formations because they're public knowledge. If you're at a Super Bowl party, there's always the one guy who knows all of these names and will explain exactly what both teams are gonna do, and he'll use all of the jargon, and he's usually right. In baseball everything is seen as these weird signals only known by managers and players. It involves more individual scouting and one-on-one matchups, so it would take forever for the public to memorize everything those players go through.

Al Coholic
01-16-2010, 11:04 PM
If you're at a Super Bowl party, there's always the one guy who knows all of these names and will explain exactly what both teams are gonna do, and he'll use all of the jargon, and he's usually right.

Fuck man, I just realised I'm that guy. I don't do it at partys or publicly but fuck, I sit there at home with a few people and try to guess or critique the play, jargon and all. Never been a 'that one guy that...' guy before. Weird.

Sidewinder
01-17-2010, 12:58 AM
My dad and I both do that but it's more in a conversation about the game rather than trying to be right or w/e. I don't really see an issue with that as long as you're not being an asshole.

Llamas
01-17-2010, 03:08 AM
It's rather ridiculous to say that points don't matter in basketball. Basketball is awesome because the game doesn't slip away from anyone all at once. It's so much more of a momentum game, and isn't decided by a couple of mistakes. It adds this whole new mental aspect to the game- when you find yourself getting down a couple more points at a time, how do you respond? Do you try to speed it up, slow it down? Shoot threes to get back into it quicker, or have the point guard pace the team and call a bunch of set plays? And these decisions are based 90% on instinct.
I fully agree with all of this. like I said, I hated basketball at first... but every possession is exciting. Every hoop/point is not exciting, no. Points in basketball are the least exciting on an individual point-by-point basis. But as Treez said, the momentum of basketball is awesome. In most sports, one score makes a HUGE difference, and so one score suddenly means you better get your ass on offense NOW. But in basketball, the scores slips away more gradually... for a while, you're down by 4 and are just trying to maintain the cloesness, and hoping to bump it up for the lead... then you miss a couple shots, and where's your rebound? The other team is now up by 8. Now maybe it's time to start worrying? What now? The whole thing is very spontaneous and I'm always on my toes during basketball games.

Fuck strategy. I can appreciate strategy, but what's fun about it? It says more for an athlete if they can respond right on the spot rather than learn a bunch of complicated shit their coach tells them to do.
I don't agree with this part. Strategy is fun as hell. Maybe I'm a nerd. But I like the careful planning and detailed strategy in football... and I don't think either type of gamestyle says more about an athlete - it's just different. Can you think on your toes, or can you map out a detailed plan and follow it? Both take great skill.

I actually find the last 2 minutes of basketball the most boring part by far, unless it's an exceptional game. All people do is intentionally foul. If I could change one rule in basketball, it would be to get rid of the bonus. It would take so much control away from the refs, and also make the end of games more like actual basketball rather than just free throw shooting contests.
Back to tons of agreement. I hate the last two minutes of most games, unless the score is within like 2 or 4 points. Usually they're not, though, and the last two minutes take FOREVER because the team that's down just fouls repeatedly, and the other team gets free throws. I've rarely seen this method work, and it's about as effective as on-side kicks in football, but it's about as lame as NFL overtime.

Re: the strategy argument, football has done the best job of promoting its strategies to the public by far. Baseball, for example, doesn't do that as much. People know the names of football plays and formations because they're public knowledge. If you're at a Super Bowl party, there's always the one guy who knows all of these names and will explain exactly what both teams are gonna do, and he'll use all of the jargon, and he's usually right. In baseball everything is seen as these weird signals only known by managers and players. It involves more individual scouting and one-on-one matchups, so it would take forever for the public to memorize everything those players go through.
This is a really interesting explanation, and I might be inclined to agree. However, the strategy in football truly seems to be much more detailed and carefully drawn out, but that's probably only because they stop and talk between every single play. Plays in basketball tend to be where to go/position yourself, which guy(s) to cover, and what passes and such might be used in order to try to score within a certain range. In football, every single play is only to move a short distance. The amount of strategy involved in getting the ball from one end of the field to the other is immense, though yes, the score is considerably lower.

And for the guys who talk about every single play: I love it, as long as it's not douchey. I don't spend countless hours watching and reading about football every week, so I don't know all the details. When football is someone's main hobby, it's cool for them to share their knowledge. But they need to be able to read their audience... sometimes people really don't care/aren't asking, and then it's time to shut the fuck up.

Paint_It_Black
01-17-2010, 04:31 AM
Now, soccer. Ok, nothing important happens besides goals.

I guess you just don't get soccer in the same way I don't get football. Though I'm not entirely sure why people immediately started discussing soccer. It's not really a similar sport, nor did I mention it in my initial post as an example of a sport I actually like. Although, admittedly, it is.

And if you think football is dull you've obviously never watched a game of baseball.

Not a whole game, no. Baseball may indeed be even duller than football but I resist the urge to judge because I haven't really given it a fair chance, plus I have no idea what the rules even are. I gave football a chance at the urging of some friends and just don't get it.

I think basketball is boring for exactly the reasons you just outlined. Points don't really mean anything, individually, in basketball so scoring doesn't really mean much.

Completely agree. Give me low scoring games. Always.

every sport except soccer has something to offer

I disagree. But I don't love soccer enough to go off on a rant defending it. I'm hoping someone else will do it though.

I hate soccer, but you gotta know that you're wrong to say that it has no careful planning. And most of the arguments that you and most other people use to explain why sports you like are awesome can easily be used to explain why soccer and sports you don't like are great (IT HAS GREAT STRATEGY! ONCE YOU HAVE A TEAM, IT'S EXCITING! NOTHING LIKE THE ATMOSPHERE OF A GAME etc.). The key with all these sports is whether the nature of the strategy and athleticism in that particular sport pique your interest or not. And it it doesn't, then it's like, whatevers.

Truth. But a reasonable post like this is no fun. Get the fuck out.

Thanks to the people who seriously explained why they like football. I honestly am interested. I've tried to like it. Still just don't get it though. But to be fair, it took me 16 years to even develop a mild interest in soccer and I come from a country that's obsessed with it.

I want to like football for the strategy of it. It sounds fantastic when a fan is describing it. Then I try watching it and I'm just bored out of my mind. Even when watching with one of the guys who explains everything for me.

Llamas
01-17-2010, 05:33 AM
I guess you just don't get soccer in the same way I don't get football. Though I'm not entirely sure why people immediately started discussing soccer. It's not really a similar sport, nor did I mention it in my initial post as an example of a sport I actually like. Although, admittedly, it is.
I thought what happened was that some non-americans thought that by "football" you meant soccer, so they started talking about soccer. Then it just became part of the whole discussion.

Thanks to the people who seriously explained why they like football. I honestly am interested. I've tried to like it. Still just don't get it though. But to be fair, it took me 16 years to even develop a mild interest in soccer and I come from a country that's obsessed with it.

I want to like football for the strategy of it. It sounds fantastic when a fan is describing it. Then I try watching it and I'm just bored out of my mind. Even when watching with one of the guys who explains everything for me.

I'm from a state that's completely obsessed with NFL football. We have pretty much the most obsessed fans in the country (every single game sells out, even though the stadium holds over 70,000 people... the waiting list for season tickets is over 100 years...), so growing up, I pretty much had to watch it. I'd watch our team and cheer for them, but I can't say I ever REALLY knew what was going on or even cared all that much except that they won. I watched games since I was 8, and by the time I was 19, I still really didn't understand the game or even like it that much. Finally, when I was 19, I was in a NCAA div 1 college football band, so I had to go to every game... over the course of three years, I finally started to understand the game.

To this day, my understanding of the game is far from advanced. It has to be the most complicated popular sport out there. And that's honestly part of what draws me to it. The 11 minutes of action used to bother me - I felt like nothing actually happened in a game. But now I love the level at which football makes me think and analyze. It is so intricate. And because of these reasons, it's so incredibly hard to get into it. If you don't really have a clue as to what's going on, I doubt it could possibly be too interesting. It comes with time - it's acquired taste, I dare say like beer. But once you get it, it's awesomeness. :)

wheelchairman
01-17-2010, 07:26 AM
People who use the argument 'not enough points are scored in soccer' are retarded.

Seriously.

Baseball is ridiculously boring, but I can see the appeal in that its one of those sports that doesn't require your constant presence or attention, you can tune in late, talk most of the time, etc. It just never appealed to me, but I can understand why people would love it.

Anyways I always found the beauty of soccer to be when a strategy was well-made and succeeds in scoring. It's a difficult game to score in so it's awesome when it happens and requires skill. I'm not a huge soccer-follower, I only watch the World Cup and the European Championships, but its awesome.

You know whats real boring? Golf. Why the hell is that on tv?

Paint_It_Black
01-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Anyways I always found the beauty of soccer to be when a strategy was well-made and succeeds in scoring. It's a difficult game to score in so it's awesome when it happens and requires skill. I'm not a huge soccer-follower, I only watch the World Cup and the European Championships, but its awesome.

I'm exactly the same.

But it is often a beautiful game even when a particular play does not result in a goal. Just the build up can be fantastic and is for me in no way diminished when a great save is made. It's only diminished when the final shot goes nowhere near the goal. I would even argue that soccer is only superficially about the goals. Obviously that is how the match is won or lost, but the enjoyment comes from watching the strategy and skill involved to even get a potential scoring opportunity. Anyone who thinks strategy isn't involved probably only watches the ball. Try watching the runs being made by the players who don't have the ball but anticipate getting it 2 or 3 passes later. Or the defender who gets himself in just the right spot to block a magnificent play that he somehow saw developing. And the level of fitness required of the players is incredible too. Anyway, my point is that even a game with no goals can be incredible to watch. And, fairly often, a game with more than 3 goals can be oddly disappointing. It's just not about the goals.

wheelchairman
01-17-2010, 07:50 AM
An awesome save is better than a goal sometimes (depending on whether or not its your goalkeeper). :p

But there is that tension when the other team has the ball and is heading towards your goal, that is awesome. Or the brilliant amount of teamwork, ie the passes that happen is great. But when it ends up in a goal its awesome, it just seems like precision clockwork.

Or when the faggy Italians fake injuries constantly, that sucks.

Paint_It_Black
01-17-2010, 08:15 AM
But there is that tension when the other team has the ball and is heading towards your goal, that is awesome.

Especially if you're already a goal down and 10 seconds ago all you were thinking about was getting the equalizer. Those moments are stupidly tense.

But when it ends up in a goal its awesome, it just seems like precision clockwork.

You're probably thinking of those times they make it look so easy, like from the first pass the quality of the whole play made it feel like a goal was inevitable. And then you start thinking, why can't they do that every time, it looks so easy. And then you remember it's fucking hard really, they're just that good.

T-6005
01-17-2010, 09:24 AM
First of all, I agree with Per and Richard on the soccer thing. I also only watch the World Cup and Euro though, because even at the national level you see a less intricate game. International games are almost always at a level of fluidity that's unbelievable.

As for golf, I actually like it, especially on TV. I wouldn't watch it all day, but I especially like watching a day's highlights. You get to see all the chip-ins and tricky putts that are actually kind of fun to watch. I've never tried watching golf all day but I doubt I'd like it as much. I could just play Hot Shots if that were the case.