PDA

View Full Version : Cigarettes taste like shit now

Al Coholic
01-17-2010, 08:36 PM
Somethin about the FDA regulating them now and the papers are made to go out if you leave them sitting. So in a pussy ass effort to make less houses burn down, every responsible person has to have shitty tasting cigarettes.

?

Llamas
01-17-2010, 08:45 PM
I was a social smoker for a few years, though I recently quit... but I noticed the paper situation in the US. I'm the kind of person who talks too much while I'm smoking... and I noticed that suddenly, my cigarettes were going out all the damn time. I didn't notice a taste difference, because didn't they just change the paper? Maybe I was just never enough of a smoker to tell the difference in taste. But you're right, it's ridiculous that everyone has to deal with the new cigarettes because a bunch of idiots fall asleep while smoking in bed.

nieh
01-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Smoking's for fools. Stay in school!

RageAndLov
01-18-2010, 12:34 AM
So in a pussy ass effort

I would like to see what this looks like... I think.

Oxygene
01-18-2010, 01:21 AM
Cigarettes in the states do taste like shit

Al Coholic
01-18-2010, 01:38 AM
800 homes a year. They hope to cut that in half. We gotta have terrible cigarettes to save 400 fucking homes.

Paint_It_Black
01-18-2010, 02:17 AM
Can't say I've noticed any difference. What do you smoke?

Offspring-Junkie
01-18-2010, 02:26 AM

Cigarettes in general if you ask me.

KHWHD
01-18-2010, 03:20 AM
I don't know. I find American smokes taste like shit to begin with. The smell from them are REALLY bad too I find. Of course it wouldn't to you guys cause you're used to it. I was in the states about 4 years ago and stayed in ATL for 3 weeks and had to smoke yours and OMG. I couldn't stand it anymore and couldn't find Canadian cigarettes anywhere I looked. Canadians cigarettes ftw. ;)

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9564/cigarrettes.png

Oxygene
01-18-2010, 05:07 AM
Cigarettes in general if you ask me.

touché
touché

Llamas
01-18-2010, 10:20 AM
800 homes a year. They hope to cut that in half. We gotta have terrible cigarettes to save 400 fucking homes.

Ridick. Darwin their asses, man.

I've heard this before... and yet, for some reason, in Europe, American cigs cost way more than European cigs... and people willingly pay it.

I prefer to smoke menthols, which aren't big here. But they're also even less healthy.

nieh
01-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Ridick.

http://www.thegamereviews.com/userfiles/image/riddick.jpg
?

Llamas
01-18-2010, 10:26 AM
I don't know what that is... :(

Ridick was something some of my friends and I used to say, but it came from us saying things were "ridick in a box". Then we got lazy. I didn't even realize I typed it...

wheelchairman
01-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Ridick. Darwin their asses, man.

I've heard this before... and yet, for some reason, in Europe, American cigs cost way more than European cigs... and people willingly pay it.

I prefer to smoke menthols, which aren't big here. But they're also even less healthy.

What? That depends on the taxation and tariffs.

Most places I've been to, local brands cost the same as their American equivalents (naturally this depends on which price category they seem to be in.)

However I would say that the more famous brands, Marlboro, Lucky Strike, Camel they all tend to be in the more expensive category, and usually no one bothers to import the cheap American brands, so there is a higher frequency of local brands in the cheaper bracket. But most American brands I believe aren't even manufactured in the US, the tobacco comes from there, but they use factories or what have you, closer to their target markets. So I imagine the paper of American cigarettes is locally purchased. No idea though, s'all speculation.

It was quite strange buying Prince cigarettes and seeing they were made in Poland. (Prince was the largest producer of cigarettes in Denmark).

SweetTatyana
01-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Who smokes in bed and how tired are you that you can forget you're smoking? I don't understand...

Paint_It_Black
01-18-2010, 10:51 AM
I don't know what that is... :(

That's Riddick.

Who smokes in bed and how tired are you that you can forget you're smoking? I don't understand...

Drunks, druggies and the elderly.

How so? Also, menthols are gross and not intended for Caucasian use.

Llamas
01-18-2010, 10:52 AM
I was really just talking about the fact that, people always complain that American cigs taste the worst, and yet even though they cost the most here, they still seem to fly off the shelf.

Tatyana - drunk people?

SweetTatyana
01-18-2010, 10:54 AM
hmm true, man, I love how many things are in place to protect us from ourselves lol

Paint_It_Black
01-18-2010, 10:57 AM
The whole burning down your house thing doesn't just protect you from yourself. It protects you from your neighbors.

The way cigarettes just burn forever always bothered me anyway. Sounds like a great change to me.

nieh
01-18-2010, 11:10 AM

I've read that people who smoke menthols tend to have more nicotine in their blood than people that smoke regular cigarettes. I'm not sure if this has something to do with the cigarettes themselves or if folks that smoke menthols tend to smoke more frequently.

Llamas
01-18-2010, 11:13 AM

The mint effect is caused by fiber glass in the filter. When you inhale, you suck in just a tiny tiny bit of fiber glass sometimes. And it damages your insides a bit, enough so that more nicotine enters your blood (as neih said). Sick shit.

The use of menthols must be a regional thing. Or maybe it's just cause there are no blacks in Minnesota when Prince is on tour.

Paint_It_Black
01-18-2010, 11:16 AM
I bet they could also cause tooth decay. Just because you feel like you already brushed your teeth ten times today doesn't mean you did. You may just smoke disgusting menthol cigarettes.

The mint effect is caused by fiber glass in the filter.

So when I am desperate enough to bum a menthol if I remove the filter I can get rid of the minty grossness? Because I'm pretty sure the tobacco is flavored.

nieh
01-18-2010, 11:18 AM
The mint effect is caused by fiber glass in the filter. When you inhale, you suck in just a tiny tiny bit of fiber glass sometimes.

No it isn't. (http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/menthol.asp)

Llamas
01-18-2010, 11:30 AM
No it isn't. (http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/menthol.asp)

Huh, crazy! I've heard that so many countless times... I'm not really sure why I assumed it true.

Also, "a cyber rumor that swept the internet in 1999 claimed evil tampon manufacturers were putting asbestos in that product to promote bleeding and thus ensure women went through more tampons per period." ewwwwwwww! Whoever spread that rumor is disgusting.

Paint_It_Black
01-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Al, I hate you. Ever since I read this cigarettes haven't tasted right.

ospringfan112113
01-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Who smokes in bed and how tired are you that you can forget you're smoking? I don't understand...It's like making a bowl of cereal in the morning without the bowl.

T-6005
01-19-2010, 02:05 PM
I've always been weirded out by how long cigarettes stay lit. The south of France has tons of random fires caused by cigarettes every year, and for some reason that stuck with me, so I've become the guy that stomps out cigarettes other people flick away.

Paint_It_Black
01-19-2010, 02:12 PM
I can be a little crazy sometimes. Like going back outside to make sure my cigarette really went out, even though I know it did and even though there's nothing easily combustible anywhere close by.

I think it's probably because I accidentally started some fires when I was a kid. Whoa, I'm a pyro. I wanna burn it up.

ninthz
01-19-2010, 05:30 PM
RickyCrack and I both smoke menthols.

Omni
01-19-2010, 05:51 PM

If the paper is designed to go out, it should bring that number a lot closer to zero, shouldn't it? Or is the whole idea still not very functional?

Al Coholic
01-19-2010, 06:42 PM
It's designed to go out after a minute or two, not instantly. If you fall asleep and it hits your bed sheets right away...

xMittensx
01-19-2010, 06:50 PM
I've read that people who smoke menthols tend to have more nicotine in their blood than people that smoke regular cigarettes. I'm not sure if this has something to do with the cigarettes themselves or if folks that smoke menthols tend to smoke more frequently.

My guess is that more nicotine in menthol-smokers' bloodstreams is related to the fact that menthol makes people inhale more deeply if their throat is irritated. It's used in cigarettes to soothe sinus and throat irritation caused by the smoke and for flavor. Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menthol#Applications)

Paint_It_Black
01-19-2010, 07:16 PM
RickyCrack and I both smoke menthols.

I'm gonna choose to believe you do it ironically.

Al Coholic
01-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Newport shorts go better with a beer than anything.

AP guy
01-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Somethin about the FDA regulating them now and the papers are made to go out if you leave them sitting. So in a pussy ass effort to make less houses burn down, every responsible person has to have shitty tasting cigarettes.
?

There just trying to make more people quit. I used to smoke all the time then I switched to only smoking when I drink, and now I havnt had a cigerette since December 27th. I've learned to not crave a cigerette when I'm drinking but it's still hard to not want one.

WebDudette
01-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Pipes, so much better then cigarettes. Cheaper in the long run, doesn't taste like shit, doesn't smell like shit, and hits you a lot harder. Not to mention, it is classy as fuck. Hookah is even better, but not nearly as quick and simple. Cigarettes have just always kinda grossed me out.

ninthz
01-22-2010, 03:03 PM
That reminds me, I should buy a hookah tomorrow.

WebDudette
01-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Yes, yes you should. I have one but someone broke the bowl on it at a party.

JoY
01-22-2010, 07:28 PM
If ANYONE actually has one good piece of advice on how to quit smoking, I'd like to know thanx.

The easy way didn't work, the hard way didn't work either & now I'm pretty much looking for something in between.

AP guy
01-22-2010, 10:04 PM
If ANYONE actually has one good piece of advice on how to quit smoking, I'd like to know thanx.

The easy way didn't work, the hard way didn't work either & now I'm pretty much looking for something in between.

just eat nonstop. it will get your mind off of it.

nieh
01-23-2010, 05:45 PM

What's the easy way and what's the hard way? I've never smoked at all myself, but things like nicotine gum/patch are supposed to be pretty helpful. It's awesome that you're trying to quit after all these years.

Al Coholic
01-23-2010, 07:52 PM

I quit smoking once for a few months just to see if I could. After a few months I decided to start agian. I never intended to quit forever, I love cigarettes. So it don't consider it a relapse.

For starters I smoked all my cigs outside. This meant making a concious decision to remove myself from the group or what I was doing, go outside, and have wasteful downtime. In the heat/cold whatever. This cut me from about 30 to about 20 in a day.

Next I conciously stepped it down. This meant I'd start a new pack every day, and at the end of the day there'd be atleast 3 left. Next week it was 5. Then it was a pack every other day. And so on. After a while I whittled it down to a few a day and then decided I'd be a pussy if I couldn't just go cold turkey, so I did.

During this time I chewed insane amounts of gum. I'd go to a store and by 14 different flavors. Why not? Cheaper than smoking.

Now that I'd gone cold turkey, I decided to try out the "three day hump" theory. That is that after 3 days of going cold turkey, you've made it through the worst and the rest is just a matter of not wimping out for a smoke. To make this official, I made it the worst three days possible. I did everything I love to do when I smoke, so that when it was all said and done I could think "if I made it through those 3 days, the rest is easy." I drank. I fucked. I ate out. I drank more. Had coffee. Drank more. Hung out with all kinds of smokers. Wrote stressful papers. And continued to drink alcohol.

After that, it was all good. After a few months my cravings had subsided, and whenever I thought about a cigarette, I'd just smell an old stale pack. Negative association to counter the positive one I had with smoking. Finally, when I decided in fact I could quit but didn't want to and had my first cigarette in months, I coughed like a 12 year old.

Offspring-Junkie
01-25-2010, 10:29 AM

Did you already try to smoke a pack in a row? I don't recommend it, but you could consider it.

IamSam
01-25-2010, 10:31 AM
I'm no help because I just stopped cold turkey. If I knew how to I'd let you know Joy!

Harleyquiiinn
01-25-2010, 12:01 PM
If Lucky Luke did it, then so can you:

http://www.omelete.com.br/imagens/quadrinhos/news/europeus/lucky_luke.jpg

http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Lucky_Luke1.jpg

By Morris, the great.

And very good luck to you !

T-6005
01-25-2010, 12:15 PM
I quit cold turkey. I couldn't tell you how. I just decided to stop, so I did.

Paint_It_Black
01-27-2010, 10:37 AM
It's awesome that you're trying to quit after all these years.

I don't know if there's some kind of in-joke I'm not getting but she has tried before, I am almost certain I remember.

I quit smoking once for a few months just to see if I could. After a few months I decided to start agian. I never intended to quit forever, I love cigarettes. So it don't consider it a relapse.

I've done similar things. I know I am totally addicted to cigarettes so occasionally I decide it will be fun to test my willpower. It has taught me one thing. Quitting smoking is a lot easier when you tell yourself it's a temporary experiment. I recently tried to quit permanently and lasted only one month. Next time I'm only going to aim for the one month and tell myself I can smoke then if I want to. Then, I'll challenge myself to add one more etc. and see far I get.

I find the biggest aid when quitting smoking is to avoid things/places/people that typically make me want to smoke. The problem with this is that I became essentially a hermit last time I tried to quit. I went to work and that was about it.

Al Coholic
01-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Now romantisize a fat chick slurping a bowl of soup.

RageAndLov
01-28-2010, 01:54 PM
So no one is snusing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus) here?

Al Coholic
01-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Sometimes, sure. I don't much buy into the fact that it's "spitless" because your spit is brown. Kind of makes me wonder if years of that'll give me some kind of gastro/intestinal cancer.

Llamas
01-28-2010, 02:04 PM
So no one is snusing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus) here?

Sick, man. I won't go near anyone who uses snus. :( Yes, I am exaggerating, but I definitely couldn't date someone who does it. Snus isn't really nearly as nasty as chewing tobacco, though.

For some reason, cigarettes are considerably less disgusting to me than snus, which is less disgusting than chewing tobacco. But one time, a guy from Oklahoma told a European friend of mine that I, as an American, probably thought she was trashy because she smokes. When I confronted him on it, after denying it, he admitted it and said that Americans don't smoke; they chew. So I must inherently think that smoking is nasty, but chewing is normal.

Edit: from the research I've read, snus is just as unhealthy and dangerous as smoking tobacco. Not much difference there, just in the exact diseases they cause.

RageAndLov
01-28-2010, 02:11 PM
Sick, man. I won't go near anyone who uses snus. :( Yes, I am exaggerating, but I definitely couldn't date someone who does it. Snus isn't really nearly as nasty as chewing tobacco, though.

For some reason, cigarettes are considerably less disgusting to me than snus, which is less disgusting than chewing tobacco. But one time, a guy from Oklahoma told a European friend of mine that I, as an American, probably thought she was trashy because she smokes. When I confronted him on it, after denying it, he admitted it and said that Americans don't smoke; they chew. So I must inherently think that smoking is nasty, but chewing is normal.

Edit: from the research I've read, snus is just as unhealthy and dangerous as smoking tobacco. Not much difference there, just in the exact diseases they cause.

I'm not too fond of snusing myself. I've tried it a few times, but it's really nothing I'd like to stick with. What I like about snusing contra smoking though, is that there's no such thing as passive snusing.

EDIT: Also, snusing doesn't hurt your lungs.

Llamas
01-28-2010, 02:19 PM
What I like about snusing contra smoking though, is that there's no such thing as passive snusing.
I will fully agree with you there. As gross as it is, snusing doesn't harm anyone else. And nobody has to put up with the smell. I will definitely give it that.

EDIT: Also, snusing doesn't hurt your lungs.
See, this is true, but snusing is really bad for your digestive system, as Al pointed out. Plus it's known to cause mouth cancer. So both have their huge downsides in terms of personal health.

But you still make a good point about secondary smoke.

Al Coholic
01-28-2010, 06:18 PM
The whole notion that second hand smoke does anything is ridiculous. As someone who's worked closely with hospitals, there is no hard statistical evidence for this shit. And I'm gettin this from Doctors and researchers.

How do you classify a death from second hand smoke? Does it even make sense?

It takes someone 40 years of a pack a day habit to die of lung cancer. That's about 20 puffs off each of 20 cigarettes, 100% smoke, daily. As opposed to what, a few inhales a few times a day of smoke that's dissipated to about 5-10% of the air? It's a joke.

WebDudette
01-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Right, but it still smells horrible.

7Seconds
01-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Right, but it still smells horrible.

Really? I love the smell of burning tabacco, especially cigars.