Duskygrin
01-19-2010, 05:11 PM
. .

DMelges
01-19-2010, 05:20 PM
I enjoyed that. :)

DMelges
01-19-2010, 06:00 PM
So did I. I believe I made a mistake in the naming of the parts. The last part should really come first, followed by what I called "Part 1", and in the end should come "Part 2".

Yeah I noticed. But no problem :)

I really love these old silent movies. I love their innocence.

DMelges
01-19-2010, 06:16 PM
If by "innocence" you mean "not commercially-driven"... the old ones were certainly not made to tick blockbuster criteria. What do you mean precisely, though? I am not sure.

But on top of having a great plot, great actors, a cartoonish feel to it and great written one-liners, this one had a great piano score! That just fit my bill. What more could I ask a short-feature comic film?

What I mean by innocence is how they are simple, non violent, non malicent. The directors only preoccupating with these movies was to present a good story, and not worry about too many details. They are 'feel good' movies to me.

Chaplin's The Kid is one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen. So simple, so complex. If are familiar with the movie, you'll remember the scene where Chaplin rescues the kid, and hugs him and kisses him. An amazing scene, even though it is only maybe 4 seconds long.

DMelges
01-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Today's attempts at recreating the classics are only interesting to see tecnology's touch on the film, but most times it takes away the innocence of the movie and creates an entirely different film.

One thing that really, really irritates me is how the actors today don't apprecciate Charlie Chaplin and other silent actors from the day. I have a friend who wants to become an actor, and he has never even seen a Chaplin movie and doesn't even want to. It's like wanting to be a musician without enjoying at least on Elvis or Johnny Cash song.

DMelges
01-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Rather odd, to say the least. It could be he is only smitten with the idea of stardom... Or he thinks he knows what's best for him. Either way, he misses out on plenty.

For sure. Chaplin revolutionized the film industry.

It's a Wonderful Life, is a more recent film comparing to Chaplin, but it also has that innocent touch I love from the old movies. Even when the acting in these movies isn't all that good, it's still very enjoyable. You can't really find that these days.