PDA

View Full Version : Generation Y

Harleyquiiinn
01-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Everytime I start a new job, my head is full of questions when I am confronted to a workplace where people seem to think so differently than me.

Everytime, it is the same scheme:

It starts well because I like what I do.

But after a while, my head starts to get full of simple questions. About details...
These sorts of questions are:

-Why does it seem that everyone here considers it absolutely normal to spend 10 hours a day at your workplace ? I can understand that it might be necessary sometime, but normal ? Don't they have lives ? They are always talking about how much they enjoyed their week ends. Why do they think they should stay at work untill 7:30 p.m at least ???

- Why can't I go working with my converse and my jeans if I want to ? I mean, as long as I meet clients or go to hearings, I understand I have to be well dressed to represent the firm (and evenso, I don't see what is so shocking with converse). But when I spend my day at the office, why do I have to be dressed like Scully ?

- Why do they seem to think that we can be concentrated 9 hours a day ? Why do they think that having some music will make my work not good ? I know myself better than them. I work better with a little not loud music. Also, it is not because I have a facebook window open that I am not working. That is what is so good with tabs.

Working isn't my life, I can do several thing at once, and sneakers doesn't make my brain melt.

Is it just me ? These are just details, they shouldn't matter to ME but they shouldn't matter to them either... I used to think that I was revolted inside or something. That I never finished my teeange crisis. But the thing is, I just really don't understand. My brain works just fine.

I realized that it wasn't just me. My friends who start working either have jobs where they can basically be themselves or feel the same way as I do.

And I read an article about Generation Y. I am amazed. I would never have thought it was a generationnal thing. That there were articles about it and that what I feel is pretty much just illustrations of a larger thing.

What is your opinion on this ? Do you think that the "connected kids" are so different ? Or do you think we just like complaining ? Do you care anyway ?

Llamas
01-20-2010, 08:17 AM
-Why does it seem that everyone here considers it absolutely normal to spend 10 hours a day at your workplace ? I can understand that it might be necessary sometime, but normal ? Don't they have lives ? They are always talking about how much they enjoyed their week ends. Why do they think they should stay at work untill 7:30 p.m at least ???
My roommate is this way, and it's so weird to me! He randomly offers to stay late at work, because he thinks it's normal, or he should. Once he worked like 23 hours in two days, and ended up staying at work until like 2am once... and had no complaints!!! I've come across people like this, and it baffles me, too. Most of my colleagues feel the way I do, though - we don't wanna be there unless we have to be/should be. :)

- Why can't I go working with my converse and my jeans if I want to ? I mean, as long as I meet clients or go to hearings, I understand I have to be well dressed to represent the firm (and evenso, I don't see what is so shocking with converse). But when I spend my day at the office, why do I have to be dressed like Scully ?
Uniforms and dress codes are sometimes good ideas, but often overdone, I think. I think having rules about what you can't wear is generally good, but when it gets too specific, it's too much. I think that, as long as you're comfortable and getting your job done - and of course, representing the company well in front of clients - you should be able to wear whatever you want, within reason.

- Why do they seem to think that we can be concentrated 9 hours a day ? Why do they think that having some music will make my work not good ? I know myself better than them. I work better with a little not loud music. Also, it is not because I have a facebook window open that I am not working. That is what is so good with tabs.

Working isn't my life, I can do several thing at once, and sneakers doesn't make my brain melt.

Is it just me ? These are just details, they shouldn't matter to ME but they shouldn't matter to them either... I used to think that I was revolted inside or something. That I never finished my teeange crisis. But the thing is, I just really don't understand. My brain works just fine.

I realized that it wasn't just me. My friends who start working either have jobs where they can basically be themselves or feel the same way as I do.

And I read an article about Generation Y. I am amazed. I would never have thought it was a generationnal thing. That there were articles about it and that what I feel are pretty much just illustrations of a larger thing.

What is your opinion on this ? Do you think that the "connected kids" are so different ? Or do you think we just like complaining ? Do you care anyway ?

In general, a lot of it is just... managers know how to run a company (usually), but they don't really know what it's like to be in your position - they only know in theory, that some people don't take their jobs seriously if they dress casually. Some people won't get their jobs done if they're not there 9 hours straight... so they enforce these rules for everyone. Sometimes managers who decide these things seem so clueless, and it's hard for me to believe the training they've been through. :P

Harleyquiiinn
01-20-2010, 08:25 AM
In general, a lot of it is just... managers know how to run a company (usually), but they don't really know what it's like to be in your position - they only know in theory, that some people don't take their jobs seriously if they dress casually. Some people won't get their jobs done if they're not there 9 hours straight... so they enforce these rules for everyone. Sometimes managers who decide these things seem so clueless, and it's hard for me to believe the training they've been through. :P

Yes but don't you think that maybe it might be management rules of another generation that companies keep applying over and over again ?

Oh and I don't mind so much per se. I was just amazed to read about Generation Y.

ad8
01-20-2010, 09:49 AM
I agree with you, harlequiiin. It is stupid to say that you have to wear expensive clothes or not listen to music at the office just because that's what everyone is used to. I think music at work would rather increase my productivity, so the real capitalist boss should let his employees do whatever makes them work better.

I think that 9 hours of work are too much, but maybe there are people who might even like that. What I can say for myself is that I would at least find it less annoying to work 8 1/2 hours if I were allowed to listen to music or stuff. The way it is, I just wait until the time is up and then get home as quickly as possible.

Blitz!
01-20-2010, 12:43 PM
-Why does it seem that everyone here considers it absolutely normal to spend 10 hours a day at your workplace ? I can understand that it might be necessary sometime, but normal ? Don't they have lives ?

I have always lived by the following saying: I work to live, not live to work. There are times that I work late but this only happens when there are deadlines to be met. As for some people who think it is normal to do it all the time, I actually know someone like this and if the work doesn't get finished at the office, the work gets taken home.

-Why can't I go working with my converse and my jeans if I want to ? I mean, as long as I meet clients or go to hearings, I understand I have to be well dressed to represent the firm (and evenso, I don't see what is so shocking with converse). But when I spend my day at the office, why do I have to be dressed like Scully ?

I work for a company that has a strict dress code policy even when you are in the office, the logic behind this is that clients are in and out of our office all the time and we need to look presentable. I tend to agree with the policy to certain point because some people would dress half naked given half a chance. However, the dress code has been relaxed a little to extent that the guys don't wear ties anymore.

-Why do they seem to think that we can be concentrated 9 hours a day ? Why do they think that having some music will make my work not good ? I know myself better than them. I work better with a little not loud music. Also, it is not because I have a facebook window open that I am not working. That is what is so good with tabs.

We can have background music, which according to company policy is to be set one radio station and they would pick the shittiest radio station out there. As for the facebook thing, I think the bosses tend to believe that the privilege can be abused and up come the firewalls. We currently have this in my office, however there are always ways and means to get around it.

coke_a_holic
01-20-2010, 12:49 PM
http://blog.nola.com/living/2007/10/large_Carell.JPG

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
01-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Everytime I start a new job, my head is full of questions when I am confronted to a workplace where people seem to think so differently than me.

Everytime, it is the same scheme:

It starts well because I like what I do.

But after a while, my head starts to get full of simple questions. About details...
These sorts of questions are:

And I read an article about Generation Y. I am amazed. I would never have thought it was a generationnal thing. That there were articles about it and that what I feel is pretty much just illustrations of a larger thing.

i actually can't wait to get the hell out the hospital. damn dead people stinking up my clothes:) Although i don't mind doing some overtime for extra money.

The clothes thing. i wish i could wear some Nikes with a casual clothes but i guess it is a reasonable dress code because you have to be presentable to the patient. Although it would be cool if you can perform an operation with a james bond suit. But i have to settle with these nice comfortable scrubs

"- Why do they seem to think that we can be concentrated 9 hours a day ? Why do they think that having some music will make my work not good ? I know myself better than them. I work better with a little not loud music. Also, it is not because I have a facebook window open that I am not working. That is what is so good with tabs."
This. today's society thinks we are robots and not humans who get exhausted. i stay concentrated until brake. most stores make their cashiers stand up and they can't sit down. I like the stores where the cashiers can sit down while they scan the items. and the ones who work while sitting down actually work better and faster!

And fuck the articles. they just think we are rebellious punks

DMelges
01-20-2010, 02:27 PM
If you love your job, you won't mind working more than you need to. If you work in a good environment, with good people, doing something that for you is entertaining and also productive for the job, why not work more ?

The dress code thing is totally effed. Of course you need ground rules, but when it gets to detailed it get's pathetic. A converse will not altar your work and neither will it offend your clients.

As for music, that really depends. You probably shouldn't be working in a bank with your ipod on. But when it's not such a formal case, sure. I know that I work better with music, simply because the deafening silence gets agonizing after a while. But I admit that sometimes, when I really need to concentrate on finishing a project I'm working on, I turn off the music and continue what I'm doing. But as I said only for the more concentration required moments.

For the past month I've been working the night shift at the front desk at the local gym So it's a painful 6 hour shift, from midnight to 6am. They 'technically' don't allow me to get on the internet with the computers, listen to music, or leave my post unless to go to the bathroom. But since I'm the only one in the gym for most hours, I disobey. :rolleyes:

Your work environment should be a comfortable place, for all people.

Free?
01-20-2010, 04:14 PM
The worst sin of such workaholics is that they spoil the bosses.

jacknife737
01-23-2010, 08:51 PM
I might be part of "generation y", but in a lot of ways I don't feel the part. In fact: fuck the kids.

I'm 100% for dress codes at work: i'd rather most people wear formal business wear to work (assuming your in that type of job): if you're a professional, you should look the part.

And as bleak as this may sound for my future, i've already accepted the fact that i may be working 10 hours a day or so. Meh.

As for music: i think i'll find some common ground here. If you're in a position that will have you dealing with the pubic it's an absolute no. Still, if you're going to be stuck in an office, or cubicle for the entire day, with little or no social interaction with the general public, i don't really see why you shouldn't be able to listen to an mp3 player (that way, the sound won't bother your coworkers), as long as it doesn't affect your work.