PDA

View Full Version : Looking like your music taste & assumptions etc

Vera
01-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Here's something that I've been mulling in my head for some time now, especially since being pretty damn into old-school The Cure records (that is, their 80's discography) and sort of realizing the zeitgeist of those records and the impact their music had and what kind of people would listen to it.

I've never really cared what a typical [insert name of favourite band] fan looks like, because I've got a pretty varied taste and my subject of obsession switches every so often - no band's music or specific genre is so tied to my identity that I could be like "yeah I used to be a punkrocker" or emo or goth or metalhead or indie rocker or anything.

It's weird, I sometimes wonder if I'm missing out by not identifying so much with something very specific and working within that field. Like I see the embarrassing fans of jrock, lining up to concerts and whatnot, and while I wouldn't want to join their crowd, it's definitely a sense of community and they seem to enjoy that, enjoy each other and the music. Similarly the metalheads seem to have a very strong community all around Finland. People meet, talk about music, and instantly bond because they both like Finnish heavymetal or whatever.

I don't have that. It always takes a certain time before I can just flat-out admit I like a band to a stranger because I'm afraid they'll assume things about me based on some band I like. I tend to like very few bands, but I like those bands *a lot* - buy all the albums, listen to them constantly etc. But the bands may be from completely different fields. I can listen to The Cure's Disintegration and then turn on Korean hiphop and dig them both exactly the same.

But I don't want people to label me - oh god so cliché I know - like I don't want to tell people I like The Cure and make them think I'm some sort of gothrocker, or that I love Jimmy Eat World and make them think I'm an old skool emo, or Bollywood music and make them think I'm either a new age freak or a pseudo-quirky hipster or whateverthefuck.

Given - it might be total paranoia that people do this. Maybe they don't at all. But I feel like some people do, and it always makes me a bit wary of admitting to liking something - especially if it's something that's not mainstream, especially if it's something people tend to label as uncool.

Still, whatever, right? We can't all listen to Coldplay, Katy Perry and The Beatles.

Free?
01-20-2010, 04:06 PM
You've summed it up nicely, yes, stereotyping makes things more complicated for those who oppose it and easier for those who don't when it comes to situations you described.
Why would you start talking to people who almost certainly will dislike your musical preferences about music? Pick another subject, that's what I usually do when I rarely happen to have such conversation. After you get to know that person better, you might come back to talking about music if you feel he/she is safe enough.

Little_Miss_1565
01-20-2010, 09:00 PM
I have a good amount of tattoos and hang out with people who are really, really into metal (and am into metal myself), but I LOVE THE SHIT OUT OF LADY GAGA. UNIRONICALLY. Embrace your outside the box/outside expectation music tastes!

Omni
01-21-2010, 02:25 PM
but I LOVE THE SHIT OUT OF LADY GAGA. UNIRONICALLY.

You know the thing I appreciate most about the people on this board? The majority of the frequent posters genuinely like all kinds of music. Most of the people I meet and ask about their musical tastes, they say "oh, I like everything." And more often than not, they really don't. They just mean "I like whatevers on the radio," or "I like whatever my friends are playing at the time." Not that that makes them liars, it just seems to me like they don't have a real opinion, or a real favorite band/genre that they research and become active listeners in.

Then again, I suppose it's entirely possible that these people do enjoy all kinds of music and that I'm just being a douchebag in assuming they don't. But I really do get the vibe that most people just don't care, or they at least don't want to fess up to what they really like in fear of being thought of as lame, and that really bothers me because I like to talk about music, and it lowers my outlets. Anyway, the people of this board are not like that. I've discovered a lot of new music due to the diversity of tastes here.

Vera
01-21-2010, 02:34 PM
Free - That's usually what I end up doing, anyway.

1565 - But you have your metal love! That's my problem, I guess - I like a band but I rarely like similar bands enough to love a genre.

Omni - Either those people are lazy or don't like music all that much (ie. have no strong feelings so tend to like random songs on the radio or whatever) or both, I usually find.

Omni
01-21-2010, 02:42 PM
I had figured it was a combination of not actually appreciating music, and the need to kind of lie and make themselves seem more knowledgable than they actually are. I appreciate that there are real music buffs here. It's just that I meet so many people with that "oh, whatever" mindset, and I hate how I've almost come to expect it.

PedroACastro
01-21-2010, 02:54 PM
i don't usually talk about the music i like with some of my friends because of that. actually i was pleasantly surprised at this forum when i started posting because everyone here likes all kinds of music. i have to say that sometimes its kinda embarassing people asking me "hey what are you listening to" and i say for example "huh.. lostprophets" ad they're like "oh.. i didn't know you were emo"

WebDudette
01-21-2010, 04:24 PM
Hmm... I listen to enough bands from different areas that, with enough effort, I can usually find something to talk about. I stereotype them to make it easier to guess what bands I listen to would be relevant, then I can kinda talk about similar bands I may or may not listen to. It is mostly bullshitting, but it makes for some decent conversation and I'm not gonna let on that x band is my favorite just because it is theirs.

I'm not sure if that makes sense the way I would like it to.

As far as people making assumptions on my looks: a. they think I am gay, b. they think I am a stoner. I am neither.

Alison
01-22-2010, 07:18 AM
Know what you mean. I may not have a really varied music taste, but some of the stuff i listen to can be very different. I don't think that I like any one genre so much to dress like that genre.

I do dress a bit more 'alternative' than other people, and I guess people can tell I'm not into some types of music...but they wouldnt be able to say "she lsitens to punk rock".

Also, the fact that none of my friends like the same music as me, also has an influence, i think. There isnt the same sense of community in relation to music.

Alison
01-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Most of the people I meet and ask about their musical tastes, they say "oh, I like everything." And more often than not, they really don't.

Whenever people have said that to me or say it on social networking sites etc. It always turns out they don't really care about music that much. It always seems to be they like what's on the radio and for some reason always stuff like "kings of leon, the script, killers, etc etc".
But I do have a friend, who genuinely does seem to like everything, except for some types of music.

IamSam
01-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Or what about the opposite effect? What about dressing in a way that completely masks your love for music? I blew some kids minds by singing along to Linkin Park two days ago at school and I was their teacher.

As for feeling like you are missing out on the camaraderie associated by liking one genre of music more I think that is actually completely acceptable. I know I tend to not share my secret love for Maroon 5 or Fall Out Boy in certain circles because of the torment that would occur. Personally, I don't miss the 'camaraderie' because I'm perfectly happy with my music choices.

Alison
01-22-2010, 07:33 AM
I think kids just never see a teacher as liking music.
Don't know why, it's pretty sill when you think of it, but back in school, I would never have expected my teachers to have a strong liking of music, and if they did, it would be things like Norah Jones and Michael Buble they'd listen to. It just never really occured to me.

Smash punker
01-22-2010, 03:05 PM
For many years. I´ve dressed up in Offspring shirts, but I did change it. Wanna have my own style that´d represent myself n not the Offspring. Also love different kinds of music too, but if there´s anything that I don´t like to listen. Just please don´t play it in front of me :D But I´m gonna respect ya since the beginning :D No prob! It´s not about hidding behind some band or genre, but it´s mainly about those people. Like what they´ve got in their heads. This guy or girl looks like a punk-rocker, but they can be dorks at the same time. Just stupid idiots :D

jacknife737
01-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Although my musical preferences are more varied than i usually admit, most of the stuff that i listen to is either punk or a derivative of punk, so I'm not too worried about being "stereotyped" as a fan of that type of music. I fucking loath though, assumptions that i'm some anarcho-trupunx-upper because i listen to a certain type of music.

This is why I avoid 90% of all IRL discussions with my friends about music: most of them listen to top 40ish stuff, so we don't have a lot in common that way. I kind of feel like an asshole if I start blabbering on about punk bands from indie labels that nobody knows about.

IamSam
01-24-2010, 02:07 AM
Also, I like Lady Gaga. Problem?

Llamas
01-24-2010, 02:33 AM
I don't really like Gaga all that much, but I am a member of this page http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=265460304349

Anyway... I guess I always had this problem. I dress fairly "normally". I don't have a specific style, and was always kind of a tshirt and jeans kinda girl. I've never fit in at many concerts... especially because a lot of my favorite music falls into categories like jazz, classical, metal, punk, rock, etc. People who dress like me can usually be found at Coldplay and U2 concerts, haha.

I always thought the dress styles of fans was kinda lame... I never wanted to get involved with it. If I have to dress like you in order to be part of something, I'd rather not. I sound trupunx, don't I? I just prefer to dress how I wanna dress, and if I fit in with Coldplay fans, well that sucks, but at least I'm comfy :) And I make friends through common musical interests, when dress style doesn't matter.