PDA

View Full Version : Fashionably late.

T-6005
01-20-2010, 06:02 PM
I never manage this, whenever I'm going out. Either I'm five minutes early and thus have to wait 15-20 minutes, or I'm almost an hour late to anywhere due to not leaving the house on time/transit nightmare/don't feel like hurrying.

I can't, for the life of me, seem to hit that magical 15 minutes late sweet spot everyone else seems to unconsciously nail.

And it's a problem. It's a problem because ever since I moved to Toronto I've come to despise waiting. This was never so much of a problem in high school - Tokyo was a cool city to wait around in. It was impossible to see someone where you said you'd meet them so they'd call you when they got there anyway, meaning you could investigate nearby sensory stimuli without running the risk of missing each other. Toronto is not such a dense city, however, and people will actually look for you upon arriving someone. This lapse is unforgivable, because if they don't find me then they'll get annoyed, which means I have to stay in one place. With nothing to do.

I'm only going to say this once and trust you all do ignore my allegorical plea: How do I hit the sweet spot on time?

PS - plz help I don't know where it is.

JohnnyNemesis
01-20-2010, 06:19 PM
How do I hit the sweet spot on time?

PS - plz help I don't know where it is.

You oughta hang out with SicNTwisted, I think you'll get along.

DMelges
01-20-2010, 06:45 PM
T, just leave your house at the time the event starts. Say a party starts at 10:00, leave your house at 10:00. By the time you get there, you'll probably be 10-15 minutes 'fashionably late'.

JohnnyNemesis
01-20-2010, 06:51 PM
It usually takes me just about 45 minutes to get anywhere, so I leave about 10-20 minutes before the agreed upon time, which usually leaves me in a pretty sweet spot.

WebDudette
01-20-2010, 07:14 PM
If I am invited to a party, like a house party, I'll show up a half-hour late most the time. Being at a party on time sucks. If I am really close with the person, I'll show up early and we'll hang out, if I'm not, I'll show up late. That way, I don't have to deal with the awkwardness of a party that hasn't quite started.

I don't think that helps at all, sorry about that.

Al Coholic
01-20-2010, 11:34 PM
I don't understand. You want to be 15 minutes late to meeting someone at an agreed upon time? I"m assuming like a public place from which you'll continue? Sounds dickish to want to be late to something like that.

T-6005
01-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Anytime anyplace anywhere anyway
Anytime anyplace anywhere any day, anyway

Homer
01-21-2010, 12:06 AM
I'm always 15 minutes late for everything (and that's including classes), and let me tell ya! It's fuckin' terrible.

Harleyquiiinn
01-21-2010, 12:31 AM
Let them call you when they arrive. If they are annoyed, that is their fault, they are the ones late.

I can't be late either. We usually meet at places near a "Fnac" so if I have to wait, I go reading comic books and wait for the call. If they get annoyed and said "where were you ?", I just answer I wasn't going to wait for 20 mn out in a cold.

T-6005
01-21-2010, 12:34 AM
Let them call you when they arrive. If they are annoyed, that is their fault, they are the ones late.

I can't be late either. We usually meet at places near a "Fnac" so if I have to wait, I go reading comic books and wait for the call. If they get annoyed and said "where were you ?", I just answer I wasn't going to wait for 20 mn out in a cold.

Love the fnac.

All the same, they're fashionably late.

That's just late enough so you can't complain!

ARGHHHH