PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in a rut

Al Coholic
01-21-2010, 12:32 PM
It's something we all get into from time to time. For the last month or two I've been in a robotic state. Work is fine but dull. The same can be said of school. Current relationships are in a lackluster groove. I'm not a complacent person in life, and I have nothing major to complain about. Nor to smile about. (Yes, I take certain things for granted). Life has been pretty gray for a while. Usually these ruts are solved by going out drinking, hitting up the beach or taking a trip somewhere, or just trying something new. However, drinking has lost its luster, and it's too cold to go anywhere. Usually I just stay busy but that's really starting to make life into a series of things I've completed with no enjoyment in doing them.

This is the prime of my life and a shame it's just being processed one day at a time. The best and worst memories I've had recently might as well be about lunch. So I'm asking you, when your life falls into a rut of monotony, how do you change things up?

DMelges
01-21-2010, 12:37 PM
When my life falls into a rut of monotony, I start listening to new music (different bands), and I try to go out as much as possible. Go to the bar with friends, call some friends over for a rock out session, and I try to talk to people that I have't talked to in a long time.

But in the worst cases, you just have to ride it out. Wait for something new to appear, even if it's an excruciating wait.

But try my advice on listening to new bands, different songs.

Harleyquiiinn
01-21-2010, 01:20 PM
Ha, I know that feeling. If someone has a solution, I'm willing to try.

Usually, I end up being obsess with what I like to do and can't. Most of the time, it's skiing. So I spend my days going on my favorite ski station websites, watch the webcam and pretend to organize a trip soon. I know it's kinda pathetic. And it doesn't resolve the problem either.

Sorry I can't help you...

Tonight, I decided to watch Karate Kid 2 instead of a Simpson episode.

I'll tell you how that worked.

Duskygrin> That was a wonderful post. Sometime, you should send me what you write in french. I am sure you write in your free time, don't you ?

Al Coholic
01-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Al was beginning to think he would never come out of this wretched rut. Sweating and cursing, with his back to the coach and pushing with all his might, he had only managed to dislodge the forward left wheel of his coach. The horse was neighing so pitiably it shamed him. If only he had not driven so furiously fast at the turning of the road! It was a miracle he had not broken any bones. The clouds were gathering thick and the night coming in fast, and he could only surmise the right wheel was still stuck deep, while all his efforts to move it had so far been in vain.

On this unfrequented road, alone at this time of the evening, he was not raising his hopes very high for someone to come out the darkness to help him. Even in the mystery novels his sister was so fond of - the same mystery novels he had no time for - he did not think this kind of nightly succour ever did happen. He was more in danger of falling prey to the savagery of highwaymen, and the thought made him doubly mad, for he had not even considered taking a brace of pistols with him. Fool that he was! A shiver ran through his spine as he stood resting against the coach's window, in his shirtsleeves. The heat of exhaustion had made him take off his jacket, but as the night breeze was setting in, he would do as well to put it back on. As he was stepping on the mudguard, with one foot still on the road, he heard the faint patter of feet not far off, and strained his neck to peer ahead of him. The patter was going steadily on, and he heard a dog bark somewhere in the fields, but still he could not see anything in the encompassing darkness.

'Curse this gloom', he muttered under his breath, when suddenly the patter ceased and a vicelike grip held his arm. He tried to jerk it free, but felt the cold muzzle of a gun thrust against his ribs.

'Make one move out of turn and you will be the sorrier for it', spoke the stranger who held him at gunpoint. It was a feminine voice, clipped but genteel, which held him as much in check as the pistol had.
For as dignified and proper your English is, I bet you queef a lot.

RageAndLov
01-21-2010, 02:21 PM
What's this? Al gone emo? I'm just messing witcha

Al Coholic
01-21-2010, 03:22 PM
What's this? Al gone emo? I'm just messing witcha

Eh, I hope you're kidding. Being a cool internet persona is as easy as it is gay. I keeps it real.

ospringfan112113
01-21-2010, 04:15 PM
When I feel like I'm in a rut I try something different,I'll try new foods I've never had before,I'll see a movie I've always wanted to see,skydive....

wheelchairman
01-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Sounds like you're studying the wrong thing really. Or just impatient, this'll probably pass sooner than you think.

Al Coholic
01-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Wheels, I'm a very unemotional person. I know this'll pass, but my ambition in life goes beyond career bullshit. I should be ambitious towards living as well as acheiving, right? So I'd rather DO something, but for the life of me I've been tried about all I know to fill the void of gray and it's just stained those fillings gray. I don't want sympathy, or advice in life. I'm just asking what ya'll do, maybe you'll spark an idea in me.

wheelchairman
01-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Eh then it's rather difficult to figure out what you want. If we're all 'living' then we aren't aware of the gray at the moment, or if we're aware of the gray then we have the same problem.

Try reading Wheel of Time, it's awesome. The most engaging thing you'll ever read. But get past the first book (not bad, just not as good as it gets.)

ospringfan112113
01-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Why do'nt you try doing something that you always thought was fun or achive a goal,something like that.What have you allways wanted to do?,What do you find fun?

wheelchairman
01-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Why do'nt you try doing something that you always thought was fun or achive a goal,something like that.What have you allways wanted to do?,What do you find fun?

You're a regular idea fountain aren't you?

wheelchairman
01-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Sure I guess.

Yeah I wish I had thought of telling him to do something he thought was fun.

ospringfan112113
01-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Yeah I wish I had thought of telling him to do something he thought was fun.Well you told him to read,reading is good.

Yea kids,books are fun!

DMelges
01-21-2010, 07:13 PM
Al, listen to new music. Talk to new people. Do new things.

Al Coholic
01-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Usually these ruts are solved by going out drinking, hitting up the beach or taking a trip somewhere, or just trying something new. However, drinking has lost its luster, and it's too cold to go anywhere.

Again, specifically what works for you. Especially with being an employee in an office building for a while pretty much means my life will be devoted to avoiding monotony, so a discussion as to specifics that works for different people is interesting to me.

Ryder1234
01-21-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm kinda feeling like this too, go to school, come home, play guitar or bass, sleep, repeat. It's a shitty feeling. I'm hoping it's just because of the stress of possibly failing a few classes, I just have no motivation to do anything other than music, and no motivation to catch up on work. Can't wait for the semester to end and get to some new classes, even if I do fail I'll just feel so good to get out of the classes.

Paint_It_Black
01-21-2010, 11:44 PM
So I'm asking you, when your life falls into a rut of monotony, how do you change things up?

I wait. Eventually something happens. Then other things happen. If you wait long enough things always seem to happen. Things are funny like that. So I wait.

Harleyquiiinn
01-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Again, specifically what works for you. Especially with being an employee in an office building for a while pretty much means my life will be devoted to avoiding monotony, so a discussion as to specifics that works for different people is interesting to me.

Post-its are endless fun. Try to put some tape on the phones too. And you can also lower every desk chair in the office.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
01-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Post-its are endless fun. Try to put some tape on the phones too. And you can also lower every desk chair in the office.

have you been watching more romantic post-its commercials