PDA

View Full Version : Private chat

Al Coholic
01-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Like what facebook has. Actually makes the "friends" section purposeful. Feasable?(I'm not sure how to spell feasable)

mspunk13
01-26-2010, 02:02 AM
Pretty much feasible.

It's just that it would be something more like a private chat room. There are free Java codes you can embed, but you have to be the administrator. Basically you'd have to type in a password if you wanted to make it a private chat, that would be the main difference between a chat room and a real facebook-like chat.

A real chat is also possible, however, that would have to involve somebody kinda writing a piece of software. Well not even kinda. That person would have to work hard on it :)

RageAndLov
01-26-2010, 02:23 AM
P
A real chat is also possible, however, that would have to involve somebody kinda writing a piece of software. Well not even kinda. That person would have to work hard on it :)

Not really. Just download an already made chat that is free for everyone.

Little_Miss_1565
01-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Y'know, you guys, there is kind of a reason there isn't a chat room on this site anymore.

Al Coholic
01-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Not a chat room. A chat function, more like aim. You know how on facebook you can select your online freinds and have a 1 on 1 conversation with them? It would be cool.

mspunk13
01-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Not really. Just download an already made chat that is free for everyone.

Yeah but Al Coholic meant an 'on-board' chat :)

Y'know, you guys, there is kind of a reason there isn't a chat room on this site anymore.

What do you mean? There used to be a chat room here O_o?

SweetTatyana
01-26-2010, 10:40 AM
Not a chat room. A chat function, more like aim. You know how on facebook you can select your online freinds and have a 1 on 1 conversation with them? It would be cool.

You can use PM tho right? then if you feel they are someone you can have long term friendship with add them to your msn?

Llamas
01-26-2010, 12:02 PM
msn

Seriously. I've never found much use for the facebook chat function. It's a shitty chat service, and I'd rather add people I wanna talk to to any normal chat service (though I use pidgin for everything - gmail chat, msn, aim, yahoo... all combined). Anyone from here I just wanna talk to, I have on an external chat program.

jacknife737
01-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Seriously, people still use msn?

This isn't 2004 anymore guys, get with the times.

Brb, tweeting.

Superdope
01-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Seriously, people still use msn?

This isn't 2004 anymore guys, get with the times.

Brb, tweeting.

Ironically, that would almost have been too long of a message for twitter.

ospringfan112113
01-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Yeah but Al Coholic meant an 'on-board' chat :)

What do you mean? There used to be a chat room here O_o?Yea there used to be a chat room,but it was closed because they were hard to moditor.

IamSam
01-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Yea there used to be a chat room,but it was closed because they were hard to moditor.

And how would you know that, fairly recent new member?

ospringfan112113
01-26-2010, 06:11 PM
And how would you know that, fairly recent new member?I read it,not that hard to find out.

chicapowerpunk
01-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Like what facebook has. Actually makes the "friends" section purposeful. Feasable?(I'm not sure how to spell feasable)

So Feasable al coholoc,you make a social group!!!!!:)

_Lost_
01-26-2010, 06:55 PM
Not to mention that it would fuck up the web browser, just like it does on facebook and myspace.

SweetTatyana
01-27-2010, 09:01 AM
Not to mention that it would fuck up the web browser, just like it does on facebook and myspace.

Yeah seriously, everytime I go on facebook and I forget to close my chat, when someone messages me it stalls my whole computer for like 30 minutes lol
but too bad because i'd like 2 chat 2 u ;);););)

dff_punk
01-27-2010, 10:18 AM
Yeah seriously, everytime I go on facebook and I forget to close my chat, when someone messages me it stalls my whole computer for like 30 minutes lol

Yeah I have the exact same problem, they need to do something with that chat application...

If this kind of feature will be here also, and people will be logged in onto FB, Myspace and whatever else on their browser at the same time, the consequences may be fatal.

holland25
01-27-2010, 10:59 AM
moditor.

al coholoc

Hahahahahahaha.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

SweetTatyana
01-27-2010, 11:06 AM
haha no blame here H25, I love when chica posts

holland25
01-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Yeah, you're right. All of her posts are pure gold and signature-worthy, just for the lulz.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
01-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Yea there used to be a chat room,but it was closed because they were hard to moditor.

And how would you know that, fairly recent new member?

I read it,not that hard to find out.

you didn't read it renato. you know you can't use the space bar for shit even if it saved your life.

and besides, reamwolf made a chat and none of you go on it. you either use that or there won't be a chatroom fucntion in the forum. it's still in my sig if you wanna go in

Ryder1234
01-27-2010, 05:36 PM
Isn't there an IRC chat that someone made for people who still wanted the chat room?

Says something about it in GC rules I think...

Tired_Of_You
01-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Yea there used to be a chat room,but it was closed because they were hard to moditor.Yeah, they were hard. Full of pervs. And yeah, the chat supposedly still exists somewhere... it's actuallly on this very subforum.

Sidewinder
01-28-2010, 05:58 PM
I chat privately with Val all the time, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

ospringfan112113
01-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Yeah, they were hard. Full of pervs. And yeah, the chat supposedly still exists somewhere... it's actuallly on this very subforum.
I heard most of the time there were moditors and FBI people in there enyway.

7Seconds
01-28-2010, 07:50 PM
I chat privately with Val all the time, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

No, I actually don't...So what do you mean?

Al Coholic
01-28-2010, 09:28 PM
you didn't read it renato. you know you can't use the space bar for shit even if it saved your life.

Que?...........

Llamas
01-29-2010, 04:13 AM
Que?...........

this "new" kid is pretty obviously renato.

Paint_It_Black
01-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Ospringfan is not Renato. A quick search of Renato's posts confirmed that for me pretty quickly. Try it yourself. Just remember to click the "also search in child forums" box.

Ospringfan always spells "anyone" as "enyone". Renato did not. And since Ospringfan ALWAYS spells it like this I do not believe it is an affectation. If it is I would have to give some serious credit for always remembering to do it.

mspunk13
02-06-2010, 04:05 PM
That's what I found:

The old Offspring site had a chat feature, why doesn't the new one?

We thought it best to keep the fan community we host out in the open on the more popular bulletin board. Chat rooms are more difficult to monitor and there are plenty of other chat room options on the internet. Besides it was all pedophiles and undercover FBI in there anyway.

The Talking Pie
02-06-2010, 04:33 PM

You'd be surprised how easy a piece of software like that is to write, if you have the know-how. JavaScript's not the most elegant language ever, but it does the job pretty well.

mspunk13
02-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Haha that's right - if you have the know-how :) And that's what people get paid for... for knowing how.

I completely forgot everything about Java Script, I was always more into Cocoa anway.

Even if somebody could write the chat-software, I doubt that the administrator would agree to embed it on the site.

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
02-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Ospringfan is not Renato. A quick search of Renato's posts confirmed that for me pretty quickly. Try it yourself. Just remember to click the "also search in child forums" box.

Ospringfan always spells "anyone" as "enyone". Renato did not. And since Ospringfan ALWAYS spells it like this I do not believe it is an affectation. If it is I would have to give some serious credit for always remembering to do it.
but every once in a while he has been forgeting to use the space bar. you know that renato never used a space bar

ospringfan112113
02-06-2010, 09:12 PM
but every once in a while he has been forgeting to use the space bar. you know that renato never used a space barSo?,I type fast and most of the time I do'nt even look at the screen when I do.

holland25
02-07-2010, 01:05 AM
don't. Fucking learn it. English is your mother tongue for Christ sake.

dff_punk
02-07-2010, 04:47 AM
Maybe it was intentional. You know, to be funny and stuff.

WebDudette
02-07-2010, 05:33 AM
I gotta ask, if you aren't looking at the screen, are you looking at the keyboard? That is even less of an excuse for your shitty grammar and spelling.

AD90
02-07-2010, 06:01 AM
So?,I type fast and most of the time I do'nt even look at the screen when I do.

Wow, those are some REALLY shitty excuses.

Llamas
02-07-2010, 06:25 AM
So?,I type fast and most of the time I do'nt even look at the screen when I do.

Horrible excuses. Really fast? How fast is that? I type about 85-90 words per minute, and I don't focus on what I'm typing... yet I rarely make mistakes, and nothing so ridiculous as "do'nt".