PDA

View Full Version : I need your help in getting me to sleep

IamSam
01-26-2010, 01:27 AM
This is the second night I have not been able to sleep. As of right now, I need to be up in four and a half hours to get ready for my day and I am wide awake. I'm not sure why I'm this way as I am tired but seem to just be restless. What are some ways that you people will yourself to sleep?

Homer
01-26-2010, 01:43 AM
Don't eat right before going to sleep, don't take naps during the day, avoid sugary foods, and the big one: don't focus on falling asleep; just think about stuff when lying in bed. These are pretty much the general rules to avoid insomnia.

If you've checked all of those and nothing's working, try watching How It's Made on Discovery. That shit'll put anyone to sleep!

WebDudette
01-26-2010, 01:45 AM
I.. I like How It's Made.

Ryder1234
01-26-2010, 01:51 AM
I had a problem with falling asleep for a long time, and this actually helped me:

http://ezinearticles.com/?From-Atlantis---Techniques-How-To-Fall-Asleep-Fast-Naturally&id=665944

It seems kinda crazy, but it actually does relax you. Going backwards through your day actually works too. Like it says, you'll probably fall asleep by the time you get halfway back through you day.

Jebus
01-26-2010, 01:52 AM
touch yourself

They could be making brooms, and I'd still find that entertaining. One of my favorite parts of Mr Rogers' show was when he showed clips of random shit being manufactured.

Jules69
01-26-2010, 02:11 AM
Drink a shot or two of Yagermeister!! Works for me!!

Ryder1234
01-26-2010, 02:15 AM
They could be making brooms, and I'd still find that entertaining. One of my favorite parts of Mr Rogers' show was when he showed clips of random shit being manufactured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7LoDMmMw50

RageAndLov
01-26-2010, 02:28 AM
Try to exercise during the day. That makes your body tired and wants to sleep to gain back energy.
Also, when it is time to sleep, try watching this video with earplugs or something. It makes me very sleepy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlbMCZbSLoI

Homer
01-26-2010, 02:29 AM
Drink a shot or two of Yagermeister!! Works for me!!

That's actually not a good thing to do, since alcohol affects the deepness of your sleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7LoDMmMw50

No! It's not bed time yet!

WebDudette
01-26-2010, 02:30 AM
Drinking alcohol as a means to sleep is a bad idea. I mean, it will help you get to sleep, but it'll be a totally different kind of sleep. You won't get the rest you need.

DMelges
01-26-2010, 03:22 AM
IAmSam, usually when I eat alot, filling my stomach until I'm too full to eat anymore, that makes it easier too sleep. Kinda like that 'nap after lunch' cenario. Works for me :)

Otherwise, just do more exercise during the day, or simply stay outside longer during your day. That makes your body tired, even though you don't really notice.

IamSam
01-26-2010, 04:21 AM
I've been up for 20 hours now and am not tired. I think I'm broken.

Superdope
01-26-2010, 05:11 AM

Still got the receipt?

Rooster
01-26-2010, 05:16 AM

My record is 45 hours. After that i slept for about 5-6 hours, and when i woke up i was completely normal, not tired at all. It seems even more weird because it happened on a school trip to Rome, and i should be completely exhausted after basically walking around for the whole day.

Anyway, i get what you mean. Sometimes i can't sleep no matter what i try, and other times i can drink a big cup of coffee and fall asleep in 10 minutes. What i normally do is just listening music, which relaxes me, and after turning the music off i usually fall asleep quickly.

IamSam
01-26-2010, 07:05 AM
The first star I saw 'tonight' was the sun. Do I wish upon it?

And yes Superdope, I still have the K-Mart blue light special receipt. And I'm going to have to try the more randomly running about during the day bit to wear my body out.

Anka
01-26-2010, 07:20 AM
what helps me when I can't fall asleep is watching anything...your eyes will then start hurting, you close them and you fall asleep:) Also, a lot of people suggest you drink hot milk with honey, but I have never tried that. I rather watch my fav series and fall asleep that way:D

Offspring-Junkie
01-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Watch races on TV... that'll make you tired. Like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHr24_OzmfY

Al Coholic
01-26-2010, 07:59 AM
Getting tired. I'm often restless because school/work has me sitting all day. If you're truely restless you should be able to run or exercise somehow for a while.

Waking up at the same time everyday. This can really get you to a normal schedual. Even if you have trouble going to bed on time, waking up at the same time will reset your body to something a bit more normal. Also ensures you're tired the next day and do fall asleep before 4am.

Intercourse.

Turn off the TV. Wether or not you realise it that thing keeps your mind going and you awake. I watch a show or two, relax, and then shut it off when I'm ready to sleep.

SweetTatyana
01-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Is this a new problem or have you always had trouble sleeping?

Little_Miss_1565
01-26-2010, 08:12 AM

Good lord, that show puts me to sleep.

I knit or crochet when I can't sleep. Helps me focus on one thing until my brain realizes how tired it is. Or I watch things on Hulu all curled up in bed. I've recently discovered a comedy Fox cancelled after one season based on Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, called, of course, Kitchen Confidential. It's kind of brilliant, and Xander from Buffy is in it as well as Bradley Cooper (The Hangover), and Harold from Harold & Kumar. I watch an episode or two, giggle, and eventually fall asleep.

Jules69
01-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Drinking alcohol as a means to sleep is a bad idea. I mean, it will help you get to sleep, but it'll be a totally different kind of sleep. You won't get the rest you need.I just want to say that, that is completely untrue!! Where are you getting your wrong information??

Little_Miss_1565
01-27-2010, 01:54 PM
I just want to say that, that is completely untrue!! Where are you getting your wrong information??

Science? Doctors? It's like going to sleep with anesthesia. You're unconscious but it's not really restful sleep. Alcohol actually has the opposite effect on me -- makes my sleep suuuuck.

IamSam
01-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Is this a new problem or have you always had trouble sleeping?

I used to have a ton of trouble sleeping but got over it. It has just recently come back to rear its ugly head.

I just want to say that, that is completely untrue!! Where are you getting your wrong information??

Probably from personal experience. And from personal experience I don't use alcohol to go to sleep.

Llamas
01-27-2010, 02:42 PM
I've posted about dealing with sleep here a lot, but only recently I have seemed to find ways to deal with it that actually work for me (I've had sleep problems since I was 10).

I don't know if any of what works for me will work for you, but I've literally tried everything - natural, unnatural, foods, exercise, tv, books, medicine, vitamins... but of everything I've tried, most things either don't work, or if they do, they work a couple times and then either stop working or give me bad side effects.

But meditation. Dude. Stress relief - even though I didn't know or think I was stressed, I started to be able to fall asleep most of the time just by doing some meditation exercises that cleared my head. I get into bed, and just start this mind exercise, and like 9/10 times, I'm asleep in 10 minutes - the other 1/10 times, I get distracted quickly and it doesn't work. Then I get out of bed and do something else, and try again later.

I don't know if it'll work for you, but it's worth trying. I do this thing where I lie flat on my back, and first focus on relaxing each muscle in my body, one at a time. If I finish that before falling asleep, I start focusing between my eyes, imagining a flame, as small and perfect as I can imagine it, and I just focus on that flame for 30 seconds. Then I move to another focal point, the middle of my neck, and from there I do the same thing at every joint in my body. If I'm not asleep by the time I get to one of my elbows, it means it's not gonna work and I get outta bed.

Anyway, not being able to sleep sucks so badly... good luck, and I hope you find something that works. It's so weird how there is nothing for sleep problems that works for most people - it's soooo individualized. For example, being drunk doesn't even make me tired - I can't fall asleep until I sober up. Exercise also wakes me up... both tire a lot of people out. So weird.

chicapowerpunk
01-27-2010, 03:54 PM
This is the second night I have not been able to sleep. As of right now, I need to be up in four and a half hours to get ready for my day and I am wide awake. I'm not sure why I'm this way as I am tired but seem to just be restless. What are some ways that you people will yourself to sleep?

You can try and take warm milk at night and something light like fruit or drink water pan.no at least 1 hour before bedtime, if you have concerns then it is the problem, do not take pills

WebDudette
01-27-2010, 04:05 PM

Basically what Sarah said. It's backed by science and doctors, I've known it for quite some time, but we also went over it in my psychology class.

Also from personal experience, a little alcohol will help me pass out, but it makes for horrible rest and I'll wake up really early.

Rooster
01-27-2010, 05:14 PM
A damn fox is barking outside my window. At 1 AM, and i really need some good sleep.

I wanna destroy it.

dexter12296566
01-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Now I come on here alot cuz now that i have a laptop i can come on here when i want to. i dont sleep at night but i take short naps during the day. i have never slept much. i actually had a conversation with thomas when i first joinexd about it. he says it isnt healthy but whatever

Tired_Of_You
01-27-2010, 05:36 PM
Don't use your computer right before you go to sleep... If you're restless, try to find what's keeping your mind racing? Hell, that sounds stupid, you must have thought of that. I don't often suffer from insomnia, but when it happens, I think it's preferable to get up 15-20 minutes and do something else, say listening to calm music and just relaxing of your couch... and eventually sleep pills. I try to take them as sparsely as possible, so I only take them when I have to wake up early because of work or university. anyway, just a regular sleep pill that you buy at the drugstore and I'm dead. :/ Good luck, insomnia is the devil.

Jules69
01-27-2010, 11:09 PM
If you must, get a perscription for Ambiean or Lunesta!! It will work better than over the counter meds. My husband takes it! I have to be up by 2am or 3am to be at my job by 4am!! So I do know how lack of sleep can suck!

IamSam
01-27-2010, 11:35 PM
Ambien makes me dream of beavers and Lincoln and Lunesta gives me restless leg syndrome.

Jules69
01-27-2010, 11:51 PM
Well at least you tried!! I say this, while it might suck, all you can do then is wait it out!! Adventually the human body will take what it needs when it's ready!!!

AP guy
01-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Just get Drunk. Then you should pass out within 5 or 10 minutes.

7Seconds
01-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Say good-byyyyeee, as we dance with the devil toniiiiiiiight,
Don't you daaaaaaaare look at him in the eye,
As we dance with the devil tonight,
Oh ooooooooh,
Oh-oh-oh-ooooooooh,
Oh-oh-oh-ooooh, oo-ooh,[/I]

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

That would make me stay up later....With the lights on....Hugging a pillow.

Anya82
01-31-2010, 10:42 PM
how about putting on some soft music? like classical, instrumental, new age, some ballads... i don't know. But, of course, not a song with lyrics you know, because then you'll stay awake singing it.

Another idea: drink some herbal tea. Chamomile or Valerian.

good luck with your sleep.

_Lost_
01-31-2010, 11:09 PM
If you've checked all of those and nothing's working, try watching How It's Made on Discovery. That shit'll put anyone to sleep!
I used to use that show to get to sleep sometimes my first semester of college. I find that kind of stuff really interesting, but the way its presented sends me off to la-la land if I'm at all tired.

Science? Doctors? It's like going to sleep with anesthesia. You're unconscious but it's not really restful sleep. Alcohol actually has the opposite effect on me -- makes my sleep suuuuck.
If I've had any alcohol at all, I sleep terribly and for only half the night. It aggravates me especially since I'm typically really really tired when I'm drinking and the alcohol interferes.

But meditation. Dude. Stress relief - even though I didn't know or think I was stressed, I started to be able to fall asleep most of the time just by doing some meditation exercises that cleared my head. I get into bed, and just start this mind exercise, and like 9/10 times, I'm asleep in 10 minutes - the other 1/10 times, I get distracted quickly and it doesn't work. Then I get out of bed and do something else, and try again later.

I don't know if it'll work for you, but it's worth trying. I do this thing where I lie flat on my back, and first focus on relaxing each muscle in my body, one at a time. If I finish that before falling asleep, I start focusing between my eyes, imagining a flame, as small and perfect as I can imagine it, and I just focus on that flame for 30 seconds. Then I move to another focal point, the middle of my neck, and from there I do the same thing at every joint in my body. If I'm not asleep by the time I get to one of my elbows, it means it's not gonna work and I get outta bed.

This sort of thing is sooo underrated. People don't realize the amount of tension they carry, even when they go to bed. By focusing on relaxing all the different muscles in you body, you take your mind off distractions and you will sleep better and more restfully since your body is actually relaxed compared what you usually think of as relaxed.

Beaker
02-01-2010, 03:00 AM
Putting a fan in your room will make you drowsy as you body cools before it sleeps. This is why people yawn when they are cold. This works for me, if you hate sleeping with noise then it blows this one out. :D this is what i am told.

ad8
02-01-2010, 10:10 AM
The choice of the professionals:D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propofol)

On a serious note:

I have experienced for quite a few times now that alcohol makes my sleep better. I don't wake up in the middle of the night and in the morning I am not tired. Opposed to that I usually wake up 1-3 times at night and remain tired the whole day if I don't drink. So this might be a little contrasting to the previous statements on alcohol in here. But that's just me, of course.

Also, sports are good.

Llamas
02-01-2010, 10:22 AM
The choice of the professionals:D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propofol)

On a serious note:

I have experienced for quite a few times now that alcohol makes my sleep better. I don't wake up in the middle of the night and in the morning I am not tired. Opposed to that I usually wake up 1-3 times at night and remain tired the whole day if I don't drink. So this might be a little contrasting to the previous statements on alcohol in here. But that's just me, of course.

Also, sports are good.

Just curious: how often do you drink before bed, and how much of what kind of alcohol do you have?

dff_punk
02-01-2010, 10:42 AM
My experience: Drinking alcohol makes you sleep very easy, but it also makes the next day muuuuch shittier.

WebDudette
02-01-2010, 10:44 AM
So you mean like... you don't sleep well? Alcohol will make you unconscious, yes. But in almost all cases you probably aren't getting proper rest.

dff_punk
02-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Yeah, exactly. I might sleep for even 10-12 hours after a night of boozing but still I didn't get the rest I wanted.

On a side note, now I only drink occasional beer. And January is over, if anyone remembers my thread.

Llamas
02-01-2010, 10:51 AM
So you mean like... you don't sleep well? Alcohol will make you unconscious, yes. But in almost all cases you probably aren't getting proper rest.

However, the reason I asked ad8 specifics about how much and how often is because a glass of wine before bed can actually be beneficial for sleep. But getting trashed is a horrible idea for sleep, which is often what people seem to mean...