PDA

View Full Version : Ban trans fats

TakesMeNowhere28
01-28-2010, 07:43 PM
I know a lot of states are enforcing a "no trans fat" law for restaurants but this needs to be nationwide for all food products. I loved eating Jeno's and Totino's brand pizzas but haven't had either one since I learned how bad trans fat is and that was a few years ago. I don't get why companies like that don't voluntarily get rid of trans fat. Can it really make that much of a difference? It's like they don't care that people are clogging their arteries by eating their products. If their pizzas had like 0.5 or 1 gram of trans fat, that might not be too bad but Totino's uses up to 5 grams of trans fat in each of their frozen pizzas. Jeno's up to 6 grams. Sad thing is, Jeno's pizza is smaller than Totino's. The Totino's company claims they have the best selling frozen pizza. I wonder if they are the leading source of heart attacks too.

nieh
01-28-2010, 07:56 PM
I really don't see the point of banning trans fats when you can just choose not to eat them.

SweetTatyana
01-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Well, if the states go through with the health care reform I bet there will be a lot stiffer laws on restaurants, and likely tax them too.
But I am with you, there is no need for trans fats but there really is no need for a lot of the garbage food. A couple years ago I noticed is was legal for food companies in the states to hide trans fats under "monosaturates", is that still true? In Canada its the law to put the trans fat count on the side so I thought the states would by now...

JohnnyNemesis
01-28-2010, 07:59 PM
I don't get why companies like that don't voluntarily get rid of trans fat.

From my understanding (and I could be wrong), it's cheaper and easier for them to use trans fats; banning trans fats cuts into their profits. It's disgusting that they do it, but yeah.

Thomas
01-28-2010, 08:03 PM
I really don't see the point of banning trans fats when you can just choose not to eat them.

+1

Like, if tobacco and alcohol are legal, why the fuck would we out law food that is just a bit fattening? Just go to the fucking gym once in a while, people... sheesh...

SweetTatyana
01-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Well, okay trans-fatty acids arent actually just bad because they are fattening, but they are dangerous because they lower the amount of "good cholesterol" you have in your body (which is responsible for removing fatty acids from the arteries and bringing them to your liver to be degraded) while increasing the "bad cholesterol" (the one that brings fat to clog your arteries). So its not really an issue about them being fattening, the issue is it has even worse effects on your heart than even saturated fatty acid.

But I do agree you can not ban trans fatty acids from foods becauses it increases heart disease while allowing smoking to remain legal, which does the same as well as increase your chances of many other diseases. I do believe it should be illegal to hide them under "monosaturates" on food labels because olive oil, an extremely heart healthy oil, is actually also a monosaturate along with trans fats. You can see why that might be a problem.

Little_Miss_1565
01-28-2010, 08:21 PM
Trans fats are illegal in NYC restaurants already. Have been for a couple years now, I think. I think it's totally lame knee-jerk ridiculousness.

nieh
01-28-2010, 08:24 PM
They started showing trans fats on the labels in the last few years.

SweetTatyana
01-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Trans fats are legal in NYC restaurants already. Have been for a couple years now, I think. I think it's totally lame knee-jerk ridiculousness.

I'm assuming thats a typo for illegal, but I think NYC actually made them illegal before Toronto did.

nieh
01-28-2010, 08:33 PM
I still find it insane that trans fats are illegal in fucking Amsterdam.

TakesMeNowhere28
01-30-2010, 12:03 AM
From my understanding (and I could be wrong), it's cheaper and easier for them to use trans fats; banning trans fats cuts into their profits. It's disgusting that they do it, but yeah.

Sadly, I would not be surprised. Why care about people's health when it's cheaper to use?

TakesMeNowhere28
01-30-2010, 12:11 AM
+1

Like, if tobacco and alcohol are legal, why the fuck would we out law food that is just a bit fattening? Just go to the fucking gym once in a while, people... sheesh...

Going to a gym isn't going to help unclog your arteries.

To neih, I did choose to stop eating Totino's and Jeno's brand pizzas only because of the amount of trans fats in them. This isn't about making a choice. It's about wanting to be able to enjoy a food that you like but can't because the stupid companies are too cheap and stubborn to find a healthier alternative to trans fat. I love their pizza but I'm not going to risk heart disease buying it. I know the Keebler company stopped using trans fat in a lot of their products. Good for them. I only wish other companies would follow the example.

SweetTatyana
01-30-2010, 09:04 AM

But it does decrease the amount of fatty acids you have in the blood stream that could contribute to future buildup. It also makes your heart stronger.

ospringfan112113
01-30-2010, 10:14 PM
What's the point of banning trans fats can't people just choose to eat what they want? Yea it has a lot of fatty and unhealthy stuff in it but it's not like it's the worst thing to happen.
I think there are bigger problems here thean junk food.

JohnnyNemesis
01-31-2010, 10:51 AM
Fattier stuff is the only stuff some people can afford in tight situations (example: McDonald's), and you shouldn't forget the fact that these fast food joints (just an example, they're not the only ones using trans fats) are fuckin' everywhere).

It doesn't excuse personal responsibility and accountability at all, and I don't necessarily think banning is the answer, but the whole "why can't people just not eat it" is a really lazy way of thinking as it relates to this issue...

nieh
01-31-2010, 11:24 AM
Doesn't fast food (even the cheaper stuff) normally cost more than making food at home? I mean, back when I was super-tight with money I kept myself from getting fast food (or going to other restaurants) and would get by almost exclusively on stuff like Kraft mac and cheese, which I could normally find for 2-3 boxes for a dollar. Even one box is more food than you'd get from anything on the dollar menu at McDonald's or Wendy's, with no trans fats, and is generally more nutritious. That's not to say that a lack of both time and money couldn't force people to eat unhealthy foods, but one of the big steps people tend to take towards saving money is making their own food.

Little_Miss_1565
01-31-2010, 12:24 PM
JN, yes, but is it just me or is McDonald's totally not cheap at all? Other than the dollar menu, that is. At least I can't afford a regular chicken sandwich meal thing. I prefer the dumpling house in my neighborhood. I shudder to think what goes into my $2 for 8 dumplings, but they're tasty and I'm po'.

But that touches on an important issue not yet addressed in this discussion. Fast food places prey upon poverty. Americans aren't fat because they're rich and spoiled; Americans are fat because they're poor as shit and the choices they have are not healthy. Spaghettios. Lucky Charms. French fries. Compounded by not going out because going out costs money, so that means sitting at home watching TV.

Josh -- Yes. My roommate and I are saving shittons of dough each month by loading up my crock pot every Sunday afternoon and eating what we make for lunch at work during the week. I just loaded up a bunch of stew beef and veggies into that thing and I think it came down to $7 from each of us, out of which we'll each get 4 super filling, tasty, and healthy meals. I think the main problem is that people get into their head that it takes too much time to cook at home, so they rely on convenience foods. Slow cookers are not the way to go if you're hungry right now, but I literally just chopped some veggies and threw them in the crock pot with some beef and tomato puree and seasoning. In 6 hours I will have a ton of awesome food. And all I did was put ingredients in a thing, turn it on, and walk away. (I'm totally making a blog for my crock pot evangelism.)

Llamas
01-31-2010, 12:40 PM
What is amazing to me goes along with what 1565 and Neih said: the cheapest food in the US is the least healthy. In Europe, it's pretty much the opposite. Going for fast food costs more (roughly $8) than going to a normal restaurant and getting a meal with lean pork and vegetables (roughly $3-4). Instant food pretty much doesn't exist (spagettios, mac n cheese...), and things like tv dinners and frozen food are extremely expensive. But fresh veggies, fresh meats, etc are all WAY cheaper than in the US.

I understand the history of why it's like this, but this is just why it's sort of unfair that Europe picks on the US for being overweight. If you're poor here, you can still eat healthy; if you're rich, then you can be a fat pig. But in the US, it's the opposite.

Harleyquiiinn
01-31-2010, 12:48 PM
What is amazing to me goes along with what 1565 and Neih said: the cheapest food in the US is the least healthy. In Europe, it's pretty much the opposite. Going for fast food costs more (roughly $8) than going to a normal restaurant and getting a meal with lean pork and vegetables (roughly $3-4). Instant food pretty much doesn't exist (spagettios, mac n cheese...), and things like tv dinners and frozen food are extremely expensive. But fresh veggies, fresh meats, etc are all WAY cheaper than in the US.

I understand the history of why it's like this, but this is just why it's sort of unfair that Europe picks on the US for being overweight. If you're poor here, you can still eat healthy; if you're rich, then you can be a fat pig. But in the US, it's the opposite.

... you are kind of making generalities here... In France, we're starting to follow the US way on this... And a normal restaurant costs at LEAST 10 €... 7-8 if you don't live in Paris or another big city. McDonalds and Quick are 6 €, a greek (Kebab) is 5 to 6 € too.... And we are very aware that a part of obesity is caused by poverty.

Llamas
01-31-2010, 12:50 PM
... you are kind of making generalities here... In France, we're starting to follow the US way on this... And a normal restaurant costs at LEAST 10 ... 7-8 if you don't live in Paris or another big city. McDonalds and Quick are 6 , a greek (Kebab) is 5 to 6 too.... And we are very aware that a part of obesity is caused by poverty.

Ahh sorry you're right. I was originally talking about Europe as a whole, but when I was talking about costs of a restaurant and fast food, I was talking mostly about CZ. I didn't realize I didn't specify. But most people I meet who talk about how fat Americans are don't seem to realize what causes the obesity - a lot of people really do think we CHOOSE to eat like that. :-/

JohnnyNemesis
01-31-2010, 04:06 PM
JN, yes, but is it just me or is McDonald's totally not cheap at all? Other than the dollar menu, that is.

Well, the dollar menu is all anyone, especially poor folk, really needs. Also, McDonald's prices vary wildly depending on where you are; stark differences between McD's prices in Bronx, Manhattan, and Brooklyn for example (hint: the last two are way more expensive than in Bronx or Queens...wonder why? :P). The dollar menu always has just enough for people though. They know exaaaactly what they're doing, as you outline quite well here:

But that touches on an important issue not yet addressed in this discussion. Fast food places prey upon poverty. Americans aren't fat because they're rich and spoiled; Americans are fat because they're poor as shit and the choices they have are not healthy.

Exactly exactly exactly! PREACH IT, sister. This is what I was trying to get at earlier.

Little_Miss_1565
01-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Exactly exactly exactly! PREACH IT, sister. This is what I was trying to get at earlier.

Strike back at the man by eating your veggies!

JohnnyNemesis
01-31-2010, 05:54 PM
Rahhhhhhhhhhh FUCK YOU MOTHERFUCKER I'M EATING SOME BROCCOLI

nieh
01-31-2010, 06:11 PM
Rahhhhhhhhhhh FUCK YOU MOTHERFUCKER I'M EATING SOME BROCCOLI

Don't do it! You're too young!

wheelchairman
01-31-2010, 06:14 PM
Generally I'd lean with the group saying 'durh don't eat trans-fats'. But then agani I've never seen a label for something saying 'this contains trans-fats either'. The danger of course being unwittingly eat a lot of them.

Or whatever, I don't really care. I don't think trans-fat exists in Europe, no one talks about it. Maybe Hitler banned them, he was good at cleaning things up...

:(

:confused:

:o

Paint_It_Black
02-01-2010, 01:54 AM
Well, the dollar menu is all anyone, especially poor folk, really needs.

Definitely. I can get reasonably full on $3 and when you factor in the convenience of it, it's highly tempting for poor folk like myself. I would prefer to eat at home, but to get stuff I actually like and/or stuff that isn't horribly bad for me tends to end up costing me a lot more. Plus you have to have time to get to a store, and a means of getting there, and then resist the urge to splurge on things you never intended to buy but suddenly want. Still, I try to eat at home and make sensible choices at the store, but it's always tough.

I usually just go for Subway when I need something quick and cheap. A $5 footlong is a great deal, pretty darn filling and I assume it can't be horribly bad for me. <3 Subway.

Harleyquiiinn
02-01-2010, 02:28 AM
Definitely. I can get reasonably full on $3 and when you factor in the convenience of it, it's highly tempting for poor folk like myself. I would prefer to eat at home, but to get stuff I actually like and/or stuff that isn't horribly bad for me tends to end up costing me a lot more. Plus you have to have time to get to a store, and a means of getting there, and then resist the urge to splurge on things you never intended to buy but suddenly want. Still, I try to eat at home and make sensible choices at the store, but it's always tough.

I usually just go for Subway when I need something quick and cheap. A $5 footlong is a great deal, pretty darn filling and I assume it can't be horribly bad for me. <3 Subway.

I ate my first subway 8 months ago... I am not addicted to junk food/ food that you find all other the world but Subway is GOOD. At the first bite, I wondered why I never tried it before... so many years I could have eaten Subway instead of a Best of Menu... :(

Also, I don't know for other countries but here, the new McDonalds is the japanese. You have all these japanese restaurants which belong to chinese people actually, where you can eat for 7 € for teriyakis and 8-9 € for sushis and sashimis... one or 2 more euros than for a McDonalds but a lot healthier I think...

Oxygene
02-01-2010, 03:13 AM

To neih, I did choose to stop eating Totino's and Jeno's brand pizzas only because of the amount of trans fats in them. This isn't about making a choice. It's about wanting to be able to enjoy a food that you like but can't because the stupid companies are too cheap and stubborn to find a healthier alternative to trans fat. I love their pizza but I'm not going to risk heart disease buying it. I know the Keebler company stopped using trans fat in a lot of their products. Good for them. I only wish other companies would follow the example.

how can you even seriously mention health and pizza in that context side by side...

you wanna be healthy? stop eating processed food..

Llamas
02-01-2010, 03:24 AM
Pizza *can* be healthy, but very rarely is it. Frozen pizza I'm pretty sure is never healthy, no matter what. Even without knowing about the trans fat content in totino's pizza, I still wouldn't eat it if I was trying to be healthy...

Oxygene
02-01-2010, 04:00 AM
Pizza *can* be healthy, but very rarely is it. Frozen pizza I'm pretty sure is never healthy, no matter what. Even without knowing about the trans fat content in totino's pizza, I still wouldn't eat it if I was trying to be healthy...

yeah if you use the right flour, and don't put any cheese on it :)

Llamas
02-01-2010, 04:13 AM
Wheat crust (no flour involved) + extra sauce/minimal cheese. Cheese isn't unhealthy in itself... high in calcium, and if you use a low-fat type of cheese and only a sprinkling of it, it's perfectly fine. :)

But pizza from a restaurant, or frozen pizza... you're gonna be hard-pressed to find a healthy one.

Oxygene
02-01-2010, 04:20 AM
Wheat crust (no flour involved) + extra sauce/minimal cheese. Cheese isn't unhealthy in itself... high in calcium, and if you use a low-fat type of cheese and only a sprinkling of it, it's perfectly fine. :)

But pizza from a restaurant, or frozen pizza... you're gonna be hard-pressed to find a healthy one.

cheese is like fat fat fat fat fat :)

Llamas
02-01-2010, 04:29 AM
http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/faqs/f/cheese.htm :)

Oxygene
02-01-2010, 04:59 AM
http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/faqs/f/cheese.htm :)

Can we still eat cheese as part of a low-fat diet?

Answer: The short answer is yes,

In other words: NO! :D

Llamas
02-01-2010, 05:11 AM
Well I'm a healthy, fairly in-shape girl who eats plenty of cheese, and I'm never gonna stop :D Cheese makes my world go round. I'd rather die than stop eating that stuff.

Oxygene
02-01-2010, 05:19 AM
Well I'm a healthy, fairly in-shape girl who eats plenty of cheese, and I'm never gonna stop :D Cheese makes my world go round. I'd rather die than stop eating that stuff.

I know what you mean.. I'll start eating some cheese too if I'm done with my weight loss

Llamas
02-01-2010, 05:21 AM
I know what you mean.. I'll start eating some cheese too if I'm done with my weight loss

Yeah if I was actively trying to lose weight, I probably wouldn't be eating cheese. But that doesn't mean you can't have a healthy diet that includes cheese :) Anyway, I hope you meet your goal soon, and can indulge in some cheese! Unless it's stinky european cheese... I still can't get used to that stuff. ;)

Oxygene
02-01-2010, 05:22 AM
Yeah if I was actively trying to lose weight, I probably wouldn't be eating cheese. But that doesn't mean you can't have a healthy diet that includes cheese :) Anyway, I hope you meet your goal soon, and can indulge in some cheese! Unless it's stinky european cheese... I still can't get used to that stuff. ;)

Gimme some old amsterdam.. that'll prolly be the first cheese I hit.. No it's also a matter of quantities. Having some cheese a few times a week is more healthy than not. I think anyway...

Llamas
02-01-2010, 05:27 AM
Gimme some old amsterdam.. that'll prolly be the first cheese I hit.. No it's also a matter of quantities. Having some cheese a few times a week is more healthy than not. I think anyway...

Not sure I've had that type of cheese... but I'm much more familiar with Wisconsin cheeses, so I'm sure that plays a role. But I think I fully agree with the latter half of that post. Cheese is healthy... but you gotta limit yourself. An entire pizza's worth of cheese is enough for a month ;)

Harleyquiiinn
02-01-2010, 06:04 AM
Ok so, are you talking about american cheese or european cheese ?

(this is a subtle reference to the discussions about handball and football).

Paint_It_Black
02-01-2010, 06:34 AM
Nicely done. Would have been better without the explanation though :P

frozen pizza... you're gonna be hard-pressed to find a healthy one.

Even ones that are specifically marketed as being healthy? I don't particularly care, I would just be surprised if those aren't fairly healthy. And those are easy to find, well where I live at least.

nieh
02-01-2010, 06:50 AM
Even frozen pizza and restaurant pizza can be fairly healthy. I mean, if you get a plain cheese pizza from Papa John's, each slice has roughly the same % of your RDA of fat, saturated fat, calcium and protein, and has smaller amounts of iron and other vitamins. And with certain toppings you can get even more nutrients without adding a significant amount of fat (for instance, grilled chicken has much more protein than it does fat). And things like Lean Cuisine make frozen personal pepperoni pizza that's still pretty good for you.

Little_Miss_1565
02-01-2010, 06:54 AM
PIB -- Eating healthy, non-processed stuff is about a million times cheaper than buying canned or processed ready-made stuff. Not saying, just saying.

Oxy, Llamas -- it's like the two of you together have the uncanny power of completely derailing a thread! :P Anything is unhealthy in large quantities, but cheese isn't inherently unhealthy. It's all fat, yes, but it's not like your weight loss plans will be completely fucked if you put an ounce of cheese on your eggs in the morning.

Oxygene
02-01-2010, 07:43 AM
Oxy, Llamas -- it's like the two of you together have the uncanny power of completely derailing a thread! :P Anything is unhealthy in large quantities, but cheese isn't inherently unhealthy. It's all fat, yes, but it's not like your weight loss plans will be completely fucked if you put an ounce of cheese on your eggs in the morning.

Yeah we've got da gift... anyway I don't eat cheese till I'm done with my weight loss.. I think one of the reasons it's going so fast for me is because of the discipline

Paint_It_Black
02-01-2010, 08:04 AM
PIB -- Eating healthy, non-processed stuff is about a million times cheaper than buying canned or processed ready-made stuff.

Yeah, but making good choices at the grocery store is a skill. I'm working on improving. One big problem for me is I'm only able to get to a grocery store about once a week at most. Sometimes once every two weeks. This makes it really tempting to buy stuff that will keep forever. I dunno. I'm just bad at this stuff. I miss my mommy :(

Little_Miss_1565
02-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Yeah, but making good choices at the grocery store is a skill. I'm working on improving. One big problem for me is I'm only able to get to a grocery store about once a week at most. Sometimes once every two weeks. This makes it really tempting to buy stuff that will keep forever. I dunno. I'm just bad at this stuff. I miss my mommy :(

It's something I'm working on developing, too. If it makes you feel better I'm also teaching my roommate who's about 10 years older than I am. I don't go to the store more than once a week. Get a crock pot, man. For serious. I also have a juicer and now I can throw cars across the street.

Additionally, I rely on http://www.notakeout.com for idiot-proof home-cookery teachings.

Vera
02-01-2010, 08:17 AM
I'm also working on my grocery shopping skills on the cheapness part. The thing is I usually plan to make something really cheap and delicious, like spinach risotto with broccoli (so I need risotto rice, oil, broth, frozen spinach, broccoli) but then I also want to mix it up so I end up buying Parmesan because it's delish and that adds many euros to the overall cost of the dish. :[

Also I eat for one so I can't really buy bulk and my kitchenette is very -ette so I don't have cupboard space for a lot of cheap but large containers of whatever.

Llamas
02-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Even ones that are specifically marketed as being healthy? I don't particularly care, I would just be surprised if those aren't fairly healthy. And those are easy to find, well where I live at least.

Hmm, I don't think I've ever seen those. Probably healthy, though.

This thread was derailed awhile ago, and this convo about grocery shopping and crock pots isn't helping ;) But anyway, I'm also working on buying healthier stuff from the store. Stuff the keeps for a couple weeks is cheaper in a way because I don't end up throwing any of it out. And buying healthy is definitely not always cheaper! Fresh veggies and fruits are always more expensive than canned in the US... but there's definitely something to be said about grocery shopping being a skill. I went through a college period for like 2 years where I could only go grocery shopping once a month, and I could only spend about $50 per trip. I was sooooo not healthy :( A frozen pizza for $2 was enough to sustain me for an entire 24 hours... A block of imitation cheese and a bag of wonder bread was a very cheap and filling dinner when I could only stop home for 15 minutes between classes.

My god, I'm surprised I'm still alive. :-P

Harleyquiiinn
02-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Hmm, I don't think I've ever seen those. Probably healthy, though.

This thread was derailed awhile ago, and this convo about grocery shopping and crock pots isn't helping ;) But anyway, I'm also working on buying healthier stuff from the store. Stuff the keeps for a couple weeks is cheaper in a way because I don't end up throwing any of it out. And buying healthy is definitely not always cheaper! Fresh veggies and fruits are always more expensive than canned in the US... but there's definitely something to be said about grocery shopping being a skill. I went through a college period for like 2 years where I could only go grocery shopping once a month, and I could only spend about $50 per trip. I was sooooo not healthy :( A frozen pizza for $2 was enough to sustain me for an entire 24 hours... A block of imitation cheese and a bag of wonder bread was a very cheap and filling dinner when I could only stop home for 15 minutes between classes.

My god, I'm surprised I'm still alive. :-P

Ah the student diet... I spent one year in Lyon and 6 months in DK where I was relatively poor. I pratically ate only pastas or instant noodles for a year and a half. Sometime with pesto on it.... partytime !
And for the healthy part, I would eat carots. It's a miracle I didn't turn orange...
Healthy dinner was Burger King 'cause it meant red meat once in a while...

Little_Miss_1565
02-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Well, not so off topic in that crock pots and veggies are a great and simple way to avoid the convenience foods that are chock full o'trans fats and other badnesses and still only be spending about $2 per serving. No need to debate the relative merits of cheese, just offering a solution. :)

Llamas
02-01-2010, 08:49 AM
Ah the student diet... I spent one year in Lyon and 6 months in DK where I was relatively poor. I pratically ate only pastas or instant noodles for a year and a half. Sometime with pesto on it.... partytime !
And for the healthy part, I would eat carots. It's a miracle I didn't turn orange...
Healthy dinner was Burger King 'cause it meant red meat once in a while...

Oh yeah, healthy dinner for me was the value menu at taco bell. Maybe a bean and rice burrito, or a spicy chicken burrito... get that protein! :-P

I ate mostly grilled cheese sandwiches, pb&j, store brand mac n cheese (which never tastes good), ramen... very typical college diet.

This all reminds me of that couple who spent an entire month, eating for $1 a day. For breakfast, they had plain oatmeal - not instant, the kind from a big jar. For lunch, they had a pb&j and a glass of tang (for vitamin c, or something). For dinner, they had a box of mac and cheese. They said they lost weight, but became really weak and didn't feel very healthy, haha. I'm not sure there's a healthier way of eating for that cheap. But I don't think I wanna try it :-P

SweetTatyana
02-01-2010, 09:36 AM
I know I might be late with this comment but another thing people don't really realize about the states (and Canada) is often the commute to work. When you live in the suburbs, as a lot of those with families do, you're looking at an hour drive to and from work (or subway/train where you are still sitting). And by the time you're done your 10 hour day, the last thing you want to do is go to the gym.

TakesMeNowhere28
02-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Generally I'd lean with the group saying 'durh don't eat trans-fats'. But then agani I've never seen a label for something saying 'this contains trans-fats either'. The danger of course being unwittingly eat a lot of them.

Or whatever, I don't really care. I don't think trans-fat exists in Europe, no one talks about it. Maybe Hitler banned them, he was good at cleaning things up...

:(

:confused:

:o

Yeah he probably blamed trans fat on the Jews.

TakesMeNowhere28
02-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Even frozen pizza and restaurant pizza can be fairly healthy. I mean, if you get a plain cheese pizza from Papa John's, each slice has roughly the same % of your RDA of fat, saturated fat, calcium and protein, and has smaller amounts of iron and other vitamins. And with certain toppings you can get even more nutrients without adding a significant amount of fat (for instance, grilled chicken has much more protein than it does fat). And things like Lean Cuisine make frozen personal pepperoni pizza that's still pretty good for you.

Pity I hate Papa John's pizza. I prefer either Pizza Hut or Marco's. I've tried Lean Cuisine pizza and it's nasty as hell.

SweetTatyana
02-02-2010, 12:25 PM
a lot of lean cuisine meals arent healthy they are just low in calories

wheelchairman
02-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Yeah he probably blamed trans fat on the Jews.

My joke wasn't subtle, but goddamn you just took a shit all over subtlety...

TakesMeNowhere28
06-26-2010, 07:39 PM
I'm bumping this because there doesn't appear to be any solution in site from the Totino's company. They've received criticism from the FDA for the amount of trans fat they put in their frozen pizza but have they done anything about it? Of course not. I think people should stop buying their frozen pizzas and pizza rolls until they start caring about people's health. I know I have. I'm always looking to see if the Totino's company has gotten smart yet but no such luck.

wheelchairman
06-27-2010, 04:30 AM
I think this is pretty obvious but I'll write it in capslock anyways.

THERE IS A BIZARRE CONTRADICTION IN THE IDEA THAT PEOPLE WHO BUY FROZEN PIZZAS ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT THEIR HEALTH.

I know you do, you care about their health, but its not really your concern. Now if someone happened to be health conscious (which is a fine thing to be), they'd have to be a special kind of retard to think frozen pizzas belong in their diet.

Now, I'm no doctor or anything, nor have I ever done any research on this. I'm just saying, that this is stupid.