PDA

View Full Version : Thought

Al Coholic
01-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Is there anything more depressing than a fake plant in an office? It's supposed to be there to liven up an otherwise dull and monotonous atmosphere. But instead it just collects dust, a reminder that if anything real was there instead it would just die in your miserable square. Makes you want to quit the whole career path, go outside to just lie down in some real, dirty grass. Ants, mud, sandspers and everything.

?

SweetTatyana
01-28-2010, 09:40 PM
Well, my boyfriend threw out a cactus today off his desk because it was dying so it may be concluded that his office is less hospitable than a desert, but I'm assuming this is a step to the point where people start buying fake plants

Al Coholic
01-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Somehow, a picture of a fake plant would be better than a fake plant.

SweetTatyana
01-28-2010, 09:56 PM
I thought the purpose of have plants in the office was to increase oxygen circulating in the air so it didnt get stuffy and have people fall asleep. Since greenery plans aren't necessarily pretty, I don't see why anyone would imitate a fake version of one

T-6005
01-28-2010, 10:21 PM
The whole corporate environment has two underlying smells - the sharp stench of the driven, hard-working worker's gloriously ambitious sweat and the stagnating odour of the depressed and desperate roped into the professional world due to an inability to find a way around it.

Al Coholic
01-28-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm a mix of both. Maybe I'll figure out which half to go with after I have a stroke or something.

Lizardus
01-29-2010, 01:55 AM
Is there anything more depressing than a fake plant in an office? It's supposed to be there to liven up an otherwise dull and monotonous atmosphere. But instead it just collects dust, a reminder that if anything real was there instead it would just die in your miserable square. Makes you want to quit the whole career path, go outside to just lie down in some real, dirty grass. Ants, mud, sandspers and everything.

But it's pretty funny if you work with Mark Wahlberg.

Llamas
01-29-2010, 03:56 AM
Fake plants bother me in general, mostly for the reasons given. They collect dust, they're not alive so they don't "liven" anything up... they're always way obviously fake, so it's not even enjoyable. Plus most of the time, fake plants just seem like someone is too lazy to take care of a real plant.

I've actually always kind of despised fake plants, haha. They're just so ridiculous to me. I used to work in a garden center, and it was always the 80 year old women who'd come through the aisles with the fake plants... I can sort of understand really old people who can't really take care of much. But otherwise? No.

Paint_It_Black
01-29-2010, 08:21 AM
they're always way obviously fake

I've actually seen some amazing ones, but I suppose that's not really the point of this thread.

Is there anything more depressing than a fake plant in an office?

Yes. Me in an office.

Llamas
01-29-2010, 09:11 AM
I've actually seen some amazing ones, but I suppose that's not really the point of this thread.
Yeah, fairly rarely, but like you said, not really the point. :-P

Yes. Me in an office.
This was good.

Harleyquiiinn
01-29-2010, 09:14 AM
I've seen a fake person once in an office... that was weird...

Paint_It_Black
01-29-2010, 09:31 AM
At the hotel where I work we have loads of plants in the atrium. I mean a shitload of them. It actually looks stupid in my opinion, but that's not really relevant. I always assumed they were fake. They look fake. They get dusty as hell. They can't get much sunlight from the skylight waaaay above them and nobody ever seems to water them. I was certain they were fake and pretty much everybody who comments on them think they are fake. I recently discovered they are real. Apparently they are specially designed to require very little light and water and mostly get put in places like hotels. Because of the way the conversation came up naturally with the AGM I'm pretty sure he's not fucking with me. But still, they look so fake I'm not entirely convinced. But assuming they are real, I was quickly hit by the question; what's the fucking point? Just get fake plants. So in conclusion, real plants that seem fake to anyone other than an expert may be more depressing than fake plants.

Suddenly I am tempted to actually pull one out and dissect the fucker.

Harleyquiiinn
01-29-2010, 02:05 PM
You mean a mannikin? God, I always get fooled by those.

Yes but it was inside my office. I thought it was looking at me, that was a little bit scary...