PDA

View Full Version : Trying to win a guitar

7Seconds
01-29-2010, 06:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5WH_h0wNlc

Please watch and rate 5 stars!

mspunk13
01-30-2010, 01:40 AM
I watched it and rated it 5*... but you have new competition now - me :D just promise you'll watch mine and rate it 5*, too. it won't be fair if you don't :P

Ryder1234
01-30-2010, 01:52 AM
I hate being under 18...

You get 5 stars though, it's good :)

mspunk13
01-30-2010, 02:01 AM
awwww Ryder1234... but well. lucky me - I turned 18 three months ago.

Ryder1234
01-30-2010, 02:46 AM
hahaha, lamest part is if 2012 actually happens, i'll turn 18 like, 4 or 5 months before

so i'll win all the guitars in that time :p:p

mspunk13
01-30-2010, 03:47 AM
Are you talking about the doomsday? If so, I'm sorry to say that, but you'll turn 18 after the contest deadlines...

7Seconds
01-30-2010, 10:23 AM
I watched it and rated it 5*... but you have new competition now - me :D just promise you'll watch mine and rate it 5*, too. it won't be fair if you don't :P

Haha. Send me the link and I'll rate 5*

Ryder1234
01-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Are you talking about the doomsday? If so, I'm sorry to say that, but you'll turn 18 after the contest deadlines...

Yeah I am, haha. I know that this contest will be done by then, I'm talking about contests that other companies will be having around then :D

mspunk13
01-30-2010, 02:15 PM
@7seconds - I'll upload my video in 10 days or so. I have to be creative :)

@Ryder1234 - you'll be too busy drinking when you turn 18 :p

Ryder1234
01-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Good point :p

mspunk13
01-30-2010, 04:47 PM
I hereby express my heartfelt condolences to you, Ryder1234 - you have to be 19 to drink in British Columbia. I'm really sorry.

But here's the bright side: you'll be able to play your brand new guitars as much as you want. Or have as much anal sex as you want...............I'm sorry - that actually turned out pretty gross... it's just that these age limits were next to each other on that site I visited.

Ryder1234
01-30-2010, 05:16 PM
wtf? haha

pff, age limits wont stop from drinking, it hasnt yet :p

7Seconds
01-30-2010, 05:20 PM
@7seconds - I'll upload my video in 10 days or so. I have to be creative :)

@Ryder1234 - you'll be too busy drinking when you turn 18 :p

I need a more creative idea...What should I do?

mspunk13
01-30-2010, 05:29 PM
The winner will be selected by our international panel of judges based on content and creativity. - contest guidelines.

I don't know what I should either... I'll probably have to think of something funny, and/or improvise a little bit.

wtf? haha

pff, age limits wont stop from drinking, it hasnt yet :p

haha age limits have never stopped almost anybody yet

7Seconds
01-30-2010, 06:04 PM
- contest guidelines.

I don't know what I should either... I'll probably have to think of something funny, and/or improvise a little bit.

I might try playing it on bass with my feet while playing it on guitar to...

mspunk13
01-30-2010, 06:30 PM
hahaha :D that would be funny. But that's nearly impossible to do! Or you could fake it. Like pre-record the music and then just pretend that you're playing.

7Seconds
01-30-2010, 06:36 PM
hahaha :D that would be funny. But that's nearly impossible to do! Or you could fake it. Like pre-record the music and then just pretend that you're playing.

I was going to record bass and guitar seperately and play it over and play guitar for real and mimmic the bass

randman21
01-31-2010, 04:38 PM
So, about that thread you just made that got deleted, can I have your guitar if you win?

7Seconds
01-31-2010, 04:47 PM
So, about that thread you just made that got deleted, can I have your guitar if you win?

Ha. No. Who deleted my thread? And Why?

mrconeman
01-31-2010, 08:58 PM
You're trying to win a guitar competition with 7 Nation Army? Really?
Shoulda just performed a medley of that song, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Smoke on The Water, something by Oasis, and Time of Your Life while you were at it.

Just sayin'

Ryder1234
01-31-2010, 09:48 PM
The contest is to play Seven Nation Army. They just say be creative.

Not a good song for a competition in my opinion.

Apathy
02-01-2010, 09:25 AM
I don't know where this contest is or who is running it but it seems to me that although your performance is technically fine there is nothing to distinguish it from the presumably thousands of other weird looking kids who can all play the song just as well as you can. You know, because it's easy.

So anyway I would look in the rules and see what your restrictions are. Perhaps you're allowed to use different instruments. Find something unique.

Llamas
02-01-2010, 09:43 AM
You're trying to win a guitar competition with 7 Nation Army? Really?
Shoulda just performed a medley of that song, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Smoke on The Water, something by Oasis, and Time of Your Life while you were at it.

Just sayin'

This woulda been awesome if the band hadn't already been pre-chosen. Also would've accepted "Stairway to Heaven".

I don't know where this contest is or who is running it but it seems to me that although your performance is technically fine there is nothing to distinguish it from the presumably thousands of other weird looking kids who can all play the song just as well as you can. You know, because it's easy.

So anyway I would look in the rules and see what your restrictions are. Perhaps you're allowed to use different instruments. Find something unique.

I didn't vote pretty for these reasons. I don't know this kid, and the video wasn't anything even remotely special. Not that he's a bad guitarist or anything, but there are a good 20 or so people at this bbs alone who could've made that exact same recording. Gotta do something original and interesting.

Harleyquiiinn
02-01-2010, 10:50 AM
This woulda been awesome if the band hadn't already been pre-chosen. Also would've accepted "Stairway to Heaven".

C..Can't... Can't resist.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4663/waynesworldnostairwayku0.jpg

Superdope
02-01-2010, 11:53 AM
The contest is to play Seven Nation Army. They just say be creative.

Not a good song for a competition in my opinion.

I actually think it's a great choice. The song is so simple that you would need to do something special with it in order to stand out, because techincality certainly won't be the defining factor. Creativity will.

mrconeman
02-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Well in the case that it has to be that song, don't just play the riff exactly as it is. And at least play the full song.

Get a backing track (or even better, create one), and play your own version of the song. I know what I'd do with it, probably rock it up a little further, add a pinch harmonic or two to the riff, harmonise it, do some kind of key change/breakdown into a solo (hey its a guitar contest), and there you have it.

But thats just me, and I'm never playing that song again on moral grounds.

T-6005
02-01-2010, 04:31 PM
20 Second limit.

It's a really stupid contest.

Llamas
02-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Wait... it's a contest of a shitload of people sending in 20-second clips of themselves playing a generic and overplayed song on guitar?

I'd seriously kill myself if I was a judge. How. Boring. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

mrconeman
02-01-2010, 06:30 PM
My God. I should read things before posting, but I just don't have the energy for it anymore.

Seriously though, what Brianna said. I honestly could not sit and watch God knows how many clips of the same 20 seconds of music over and over...no matter how good it was...and the fact that its 7 Nation Army played by a bunch of Bedroom guitarists. Sheesh.

Llamas
02-02-2010, 01:57 PM
You know, when I clicked the link in the original post, I was like "huh, I know this song...." but I had no idea where I'd heard it or who it was. But it was extremely familiar. So I looked up the real song, and I was like, ugh. Why exactly do I know this song so well? It's really nothing that special.

Then I looked it up on wikipedia:

"In March 2005, Q magazine placed "Seven Nation Army" at number 8 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Tracks. In September 2005, NME placed "Seven Nation Army" at number 5 in its list of the 50 Greatest Tracks Of The Decade. In May 2008, Rolling Stone placed this song at number 21 in its list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time. The song was named the 75th best hard rock song of all time by VH1. "Seven Nation Army" also earned 20th place in Triple J's Hottest 100 of All Time in 2009. The song was also listed at #30 on Pitchfork's top 500 songs of the 2000s, and at number 2 in Observer Music Monthly's top 75 songs of the decade, behind Beyoncé's "Crazy in Love". It also came in second on Channel V Australia's top 1000 songs of the 00s. In 2009, US website Consequence of Sound named this as their top rock track of the 2000s, as did Boston's WFNX Radio."

WHAT?? I really want someone to tell me this is all untrue bullshit from someone who likes to fuck with wiki. I mean, it's not a horrible song... but in what way does it deserve any of this?? Because the guitar sounds like a bass? Because it's a super catchy riff? I'm at a loss, and wtfing all over the place. I don't know why I'm so shocked, though... shit that's voted for these categories is never really deserving... but they're usually at least somewhat more legit than this.

mspunk13
02-13-2010, 07:06 AM
I recorded my version of this song... check it out and tell me what you think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTCVcLd4ZKs

EDIT: woah this was my 100th post. I'm a senior member although I don't feel like one :) Does this mean I get a custom user title?

ad8
02-13-2010, 10:45 AM
I recorded my version of this song... check it out and tell me what you think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTCVcLd4ZKs
Hehe, that was a cool idea. Nice video!

EDIT: woah this was my 100th post. I'm a senior member although I don't feel like one :) Does this mean I get a custom user title?
No, you'll get to edit your custom user title once you have posted your 500th post. So it's quite a long way to go;)

randman21
02-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Hehehe, that was cool as hell, but I think you can only use guitar. I'm not sure, though.

dff_punk
02-13-2010, 02:29 PM
I love that video mspunk! Sharing this one on facebook immediately, the world needs to see this 20-second masterpiece.

Llamas
02-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Holy crap, mspunk took a shitty horribly retarded contest and actually made a really awesome contribution to it. I don't know you, but I'll definitely vote for your vid!!

Free?
02-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Ha! Gj. The best part about it is that mspunk hijacked the thread and ruined its purpose, liek totlly. Gj again.

mspunk13
02-14-2010, 02:12 AM
I didn't mean to hijack the thread... but starting another thread would be even worse right?

And thank you all for the feedback!