PDA

View Full Version : Its easy to forget...

_Lost_
01-29-2010, 08:23 PM
that where I live is a major landmark for the civil rights movement.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2010-01-28-international-civil-rights-center_N.htm

Pretty cool. They've been trying to open the museum since the Woolworth's in greensboro closed, but I guess that it works out that they had to wait until the 50th anniversary of the first Woolworth sit-in. I hear Oprah is coming to the opening.

The only thing I don't like about the opening, is that Monday, I will like have to go around my ass to get to my elbow, in order to make it to class. My school is like five blocks from the museum and they are closing down the roads between the school and there (the roads that lie between me and school) for a march from the school to the museum before it opens.

Llamas
01-31-2010, 03:32 PM
It's cool when you remember things like this about where you live, especially when you live somewhere that's not like, NYC or LA or something.

loloprah. I just can't take that woman seriously :P

_Lost_
01-31-2010, 04:00 PM
Its easy to forget, because Greensboro likes to pretend it never happened. Its one of the most segregated cities I've ever been in. We were one of the last cities in the country to integrate schools. We also like to ignore that we have an unusually large KKK chapter. The Greensboro massacre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greensboro_massacre) is another thing we like to pretend didn't happen. The few liberals in the city are what spurred the opening of the museum and are the only ones who acknowledge the shootings. This city as a collective is inherently, depressingly racist.

We had the biggest snowstorm in ten years on Friday. Saturday, they had 40 or 50 men blocking off the roads, section by section, along the march route, shoveling, plowing, salting and cleaning the snow and ice from the roads. We figure Oprah demanded it. She's been in Greensboro since Wednesday or Thursday because there were supposed to be all kinds of celebratory dinners all weekend. They aren't going to let anything interfere with Monday's grand opening. I may just skip school Monday.