PDA

View Full Version : Extra material on CDs

Llamas
01-30-2010, 06:16 AM
I started posting this in GOD, but then I realized that it's not really about the Offspring.

Americana was the first Offspring cd I got, and it was because I was hooked on "Why Don't You Get a Job?" I really only got the CD for that song. Then I popped the disc in my computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkbhpPeqtEo

Remember the extra footage on that album? The interviews? The clips from the movie? The videos from Ixnay? The karaoke section? When I think about it, I think this is the reason Offspring became my favorite band for like 7 years. It was popular around then for bands to put like, the music video for the lead single off the album on the CD rom... but this much footage and such was less common. But AWESOME. 14 year old me watched this stuff all the time, and the music videos caused me to buy Ixnay... and the rest is history.

My question is: why did they (and other bands) stop doing this? CDs rarely come with awesome footage and content like this anymore... I think it's a really awesome idea. I love it when there's extra stuff on CDs... am I in the minority? When I was like 16, I remember going through my entire CD collection (which was only around 70 albums then) and popping them into my computer one at a time, to see any extra material possible.

AD90
01-30-2010, 06:30 AM
I started posting this in GOD,

Haha, that's awesome...Maybe It's just me.

Anyway, it's so they can put 2 cds in one case and jack up the price instead.

It's all for revenue and profit.

Paint_It_Black
01-30-2010, 06:42 AM
My question is: why did they (and other bands) stop doing this? CDs rarely come with awesome footage and content like this anymore.

What's a CD?

That's why.

Though, now I think about it, putting all that extra stuff on there would seem like a good way to encourage people to buy CDs instead of downloading.

Americana was the first Offspring cd I got, and it was because I was hooked on "Why Don't You Get a Job?" I really only got the CD for that song.

Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) was the first Offspring CD I got, and it was because I was hooked on the song "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)". See, in the UK we could buy singles and not have to purchase an entire album just to have one song. It might be hard for Americans to understand. It's like downloading the one song you want, except you still get a CD.

Anyways, that single also had "All I Want" on it and suddenly I was listening to that song all the time and never listening to "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)". Then I bought Americana. Then I quickly bought all their previous albums, compulsively going from newest to earliest. No wonder I hated CO1. From my perspective, that album came right after Self Titled. Ha.

nieh
01-30-2010, 06:51 AM
Though, now I think about it, putting all that extra stuff on there would seem like a good way to encourage people to buy CDs instead of downloading.

I've always thought the same thing, and yet iTunes seems to be the format that gets the most exclusive content with album purchases (normally extra songs or things of that nature). It seems backwards to me.

jacknife737
01-30-2010, 06:58 AM
Haha, I actually hate it: i'd always have to wait for that stuff to load until I could rip the album.

I would assume that they stopped because the internet has made interviews/videos/ect already widely available by the time the album comes out. Plus i assume it is cheaper for the record company to upload something on the band's youtube profile, than to put it on the cd.

Llamas
01-30-2010, 06:59 AM
That's half of what I was thinking. Yeah, people don't really buy CDs so much anymore, so wouldn't it be smart to put bonus videos and footage and stuff on the CD?

Pretty Fly (For A White Guy) was the first Offspring CD I got, and it was because I was hooked on the song "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)". See, in the UK we could buy singles and not have to purchase an entire album just to have one song. It might be hard for Americans to understand. It's like downloading the one song you want, except you still get a CD.
:P We had singles, too, but I hated them. I was never interested in taking the time to put in a CD just for one song, and maybe some live track or something. I was always a CD collector, and I'd buy CDs based on one or two songs I liked... usually the entire CD would grow on me. Maybe 1/30 times I made a bad call. I bought a few singles growing up, but they always generally got lost or thrown out, because they were stupid to me.

Anyways, that single also had "All I Want" on it and suddenly I was listening to that song all the time and never listening to "Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)". Then I bought Americana. Then I quickly bought all their previous albums, compulsively going from newest to earliest. No wonder I hated CO1. From my perspective, that album came right after Self Titled. Ha.
Haha, so we had a similar experience, except I skipped the single and went straight to Americana... my CD order was a bit out of order, though - American, Ixnay, Ignition, S/T, Smash. So CO1 came out after Smash for me.

Llamas
01-30-2010, 07:02 AM
Haha, that's awesome...Maybe It's just me.
Hmm? Why?

Good point... it does seem that these days, CDs often come with two "versions" - one has a "bonus disc" with the extra content. That's probably what it is... I almost never buy the version with the bonus disc, because a bonus disc is much like a single to me - I'm not interested in taking the time to put in a CD that's only gonna last like 10 min.

Harleyquiiinn
01-30-2010, 07:09 AM
Americana> 1999.

The date is very important.

At that time, legal platform of downloading were rare but Kazaa was here and working. 1998 is the date my purchase of CDs went down. Putting all these bonuses on the CD was a way to try to stop it and enourage people to buy the CDs...

Unfortunately, we know the rest of the story...

Paint_It_Black
01-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Plus i assume it is cheaper for the record company to upload something on the band's youtube profile, than to put it on the cd.

I just came back into this thread to talk about this kind of thing.

I was working under the notion that selling CDs is considered the ideal, but why? You have to mass produce them, distribute them, sell them. Downloading is probably the preferred distribution method of record companies now. Just guessing, but it would make sense.

AD90
01-30-2010, 07:19 AM
Hmm? Why?

Am a slow guy, and only just realised that General Offspring Dicussion's acronym was GOD.

Just thought there was a cool connection there.

I almost never buy the version with the bonus disc

IF, and it's a big if, I buy cd's and know there's extra content on the 2nd cd, like a making of the cd and such, I'll always buy it. Cause I love seeing how they come up with the songs and progressions and so on.

Actually, I'll only buy the double if it's a making of the cd. Making of anything else is redundant to me.

nieh
01-30-2010, 08:08 AM
I just came back into this thread to talk about this kind of thing.

I was working under the notion that selling CDs is considered the ideal, but why? You have to mass produce them, distribute them, sell them. Downloading is probably the preferred distribution method of record companies now. Just guessing, but it would make sense.

You normally get charged at least a few dollars more to buy a CD than you would to download an mp3 copy, but it only costs about 50 cents or so for each mass produced copy of the album to be printed. I guess there's risk that not every copy of the album that's printed is going to sell, but I'm pretty sure they make more money off a high selling cd than they do off of a high selling digital thing.

_Lost_
01-30-2010, 08:23 AM

Record companies are clinging with all their life to the cd concept. The problem with iTunes is that you can buy singles. They want you to spend $20 on the cd format, rather than $2 or $3 on the singles you want to hear. Plus, it generally costs less on iTunes to buy a complete album (usually $10) than it does in the store ($15 - $20).

AD90
01-30-2010, 08:54 AM
I prefer the try before you buy method.

I will always buy a cd over an MP3 version as I'd rather have the physical product in my hands.

XYlophonetreeZ
01-30-2010, 08:45 PM

This, plus when bands actually do want to give their fans something "extra," it's easier these days just to put stuff up on their website. The Offspring don't do this too much I don't think, but other bands have tons of "bonus"-type videos up online.