PDA

View Full Version : The French won

RageAndLov
01-31-2010, 01:04 PM
And now they're the first male national team to ever win the Olympics, Euro and World championships the same season.
Congrats.

EDIT: For the ignorant ones: France just won the Euro championship in handball.

Harleyquiiinn
01-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks AP Guy, nice to meet you too...

The game was incredible ! Honestly the Croatian are an AMAZING team, both teams were amazing... at the end of the first period, I thought France could never win... But they did a great second period !
But that was weird, croatian completely lost it as soon as France had 2 goals in advance... it's like they were unable to concentrate and their game started to become a lot less good than the first period.

Also, I was very impressed by the croatian goalie. That guy is a wall.

Llamas
01-31-2010, 01:33 PM
It'd be cool if people mentioned which sport they're talking about.

stfu wishomie. Seriously, stop posting. :)

Harleyquiiinn
01-31-2010, 01:34 PM
It'd be cool if people mentioned which sport they're talking about.

stfu wishomie. Seriously, stop posting. :)

lol true, RageandLov didn't say... and I didn't even notice :D

We're talking about Handball.

Very nice sport, I think.

AP guy
01-31-2010, 01:43 PM
The French are going to get demolished in the winter olympics.

Llamas
01-31-2010, 01:46 PM
lol true, RageandLov didn't say... and I didn't even notice :D

We're talking about Handball.

Very nice sport, I think.

I'm gonna assume you're talking about the lame kind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQL-26C7h-U&feature=fvw) of handball and not the awesome kind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYCvw9kXinY) :P

I used to play the latter kind. Never much cared for the former, though.

Little_Miss_1565
01-31-2010, 01:46 PM
Wishomie - And I'm sure trying to antagonize people by talking smack about a two week event that no one in the universe gives a shit about will totally work.

Harleyquiiinn
01-31-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm gonna assume you're talking about the lame kind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQL-26C7h-U&feature=fvw) of handball and not the awesome kind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYCvw9kXinY) :P

Ah ah ! You call that hand ball ??? It's really fun to play, I loved to play this. But I don't think it's considered a sport here... I think maybe you would love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYyj_7ozBYw

So yes, I guess we are talking about the lame kind. :D

Llamas
01-31-2010, 02:31 PM
Ah ah ! You call that hand ball ??? It's really fun to play, I loved to play this. But I don't think it's considered a sport here... I think maybe you would love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYyj_7ozBYw

So yes, I guess we are talking about the lame kind. :D

haha, well it's not actually lame of course, I just never got into it. But yeah, that's called handball. It's not currently a professional sport in the US, but there are quite large tournaments for it, just like squash and racketball.

The video looks interesting, but I can't really tell what's going on. :-P

Harleyquiiinn
01-31-2010, 02:34 PM
haha, well it's not actually lame of course, I just never got into it. But yeah, that's called handball. It's not currently a professional sport in the US, but there are quite large tournaments for it, just like squash and racketball.

The video looks interesting, but I can't really tell what's going on. :-P

Well, it's called Pelote Basque... they play that in the south west of France and north west of Spain (Basque country), you throw the ball on the wall with that big glove and then the other team has to pick it untill somebody misses... Well, at least I think it's the rules lol. But that's the concept...

RageAndLov
01-31-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks AP Guy, nice to meet you too...

The game was incredible ! Honestly the Croatian are an AMAZING team, both teams were amazing... at the end of the first period, I thought France could never win... But they did a great second period !
But that was weird, croatian completely lost it as soon as France had 2 goals in advance... it's like they were unable to concentrate and their game started to become a lot less good than the first period.

Also, I was very impressed by the croatian goalie. That guy is a wall.

I always believed in France. They have the world's strongest team right now. The croatian goalie did indeed a remarkable match though.

Handball? That's just squash without rackets.

Llamas
01-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Handball? That's just squash without rackets.

Correct. You hit the ball with your hand. So it's handball. :) I'm not making it up http://www.ushandball.org/

RageAndLov
01-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Correct. You hit the ball with your hand. So it's handball. :) I'm not making it up http://www.ushandball.org/

You Americans are weird. It's like painting the golf ball black and call the sport black ball. I could've understood "hand squash" or something, but when they use a term that is widely used for another much more popular sport it just gets ridiculous.

Llamas
01-31-2010, 05:13 PM
You Americans are weird. It's like painting the golf ball black and call the sport black ball. I could've understood "hand squash" or something, but when they use a term that is widely used for another much more popular sport it just gets ridiculous.

Okay, I'll explain this. There are two games: squash, and racquetball. Both sports are similar; they're racket sports in which the players hit the ball off a wall and if the ball bounces twice before your opponent can hit it, you win the point. Otherwise, they're quite different. In squash, the ball is rather small and it moves much, much more slowly and in general has very little bounce - racquetball is much more fast-paced and uses a larger, more rubbery ball. Also, the ceiling is not in play in squash, but it is in racquetball.

Our "handball" is not actually a derivative of squash, but of racquetball. Therefore, the name makes perfect sense.

Llamas
01-31-2010, 05:23 PM
Oh and another point of interest is that team handball didn't really exist in English speaking countries until the mid 20th century... american handball was invented in the 19th century. So the name was used before there was knowledge of team handball.

Paint_It_Black
02-01-2010, 02:43 AM
You Americans are weird. It's like painting the golf ball black and call the sport black ball.

More like throwing a rugby ball while wearing armor and calling it football.

I could've understood "hand squash" or something, but when they use a term that is widely used for another much more popular sport it just gets ridiculous.

You have seen what they call football, right?

Harleyquiiinn
02-01-2010, 02:47 AM
Maybe we can differenciate it with pronunciation...

Handball as we (europeans at least) know it is german. We say it in a "german way" in France.

Or maybe Dusky found the origin and the solution. Your handball, Ilovellamas, is really the game of palm... maybe you could call it Palmball.

Llamas
02-01-2010, 03:42 AM
Maybe we can differenciate it with pronunciation...

Handball as we (europeans at least) know it is german. We say it in a "german way" in France.

Or maybe Dusky found the origin and the solution. Your handball, Ilovellamas, is really the game of palm... maybe you could call it Palmball.

You say all this as though I've determined the history and usage of a word in the English language, and have the power to change it ;D

Generally, I think it's really annoying and obnoxious when people complain about words. "OMG WHY DO YOU CALL IT _____ THAT'S SO STUPID!!!!" It's as dumb as dialect debates, such as soda vs pop, and accent debates. We call one game handball and one game football. I met a guy from the UK who played american handball, and he didn't have a problem differentiating.

Harleyquiiinn
02-01-2010, 03:45 AM
You say all this as though I've determined the history and usage of a word in the English language, and have the power to change it ;D

Generally, I think it's really annoying and obnoxious when people complain about words. "OMG WHY DO YOU CALL IT _____ THAT'S SO STUPID!!!!" It's as dumb as dialect debates, such as soda vs pop, and accent debates. We call one game handball and one game football. I met a guy from the UK who played american handball, and he didn't have a problem differentiating.

So wait, you didn't create the game nor the english language ??? :confused:

I am so disappointed now :(

Llamas
02-01-2010, 04:23 AM
So wait, you didn't create the game nor the english language ??? :confused:

I am so disappointed now :(

Sorry :( Don't tell anyone, though... I'm trying to maintain my celebrity.

"Your handball, Ilovellamas, is really the game of palm... maybe you could call it Palmball."
I just thought that was funny. Like, okay! I'll call it palmball now! But nobody will have a fucking clue what I'm talking about!!! hahahaha.

RageAndLov
02-01-2010, 05:16 AM
"Your handball, Ilovellamas, is really the game of palm... maybe you could call it Palmball."
I just thought that was funny. Like, okay! I'll call it palmball now! But nobody will have a fucking clue what I'm talking about!!! hahahaha.

People will think you mean the handball we are familiar with if you keep calling it for handball, especially since you live in Europe now. So stick to palm ball.

Llamas
02-01-2010, 05:28 AM
People will think you mean the handball we are familiar with if you keep calling it for handball, especially since you live in Europe now. So stick to palm ball.

Umm, or I can say "american handball". :) It's not called palmball, so I'm not going to use it. Plus it doesn't really matter which one I use - people aren't going to know what it is either way, and I'll have to explain it.

RageAndLov
02-01-2010, 05:35 AM
Umm, or I can say "american handball". :) It's not called palmball, so I'm not going to use it. Plus it doesn't really matter which one I use - people aren't going to know what it is either way, and I'll have to explain it.

Exactly, so now you have the opportunity to be a trendsetter and fix the misunderstandings by calling it something else.

Llamas
02-01-2010, 05:38 AM
Haha, I'm an English teacher; I'm not going to tell my students that something's called something that it's not, and have them go to an English speaking country and be like "BUT AN AMERICAN TOLD ME IT WAS THIS >:O" Sorry, I'm not out to change the language - I'm just out to teach people how to use the language in normal life. :)

wheelchairman
02-01-2010, 06:58 AM
P.s. Absolutely no one cares about handball unless their team won. I completely forgot that it existed in the elapsed time since Denmark won something.

Who watches handball anyways? Isn't it a chick-sport anyways?

I think I'd rather watch a real sport, one with negroes in it possibly.

RageAndLov
02-01-2010, 10:30 AM
P.s. Absolutely no one cares about handball unless their team won. I completely forgot that it existed in the elapsed time since Denmark won something.

Who watches handball anyways? Isn't it a chick-sport anyways?

I think I'd rather watch a real sport, one with negroes in it possibly.

Oh, like the French handball team?

Sidewinder
02-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Is no one else really going to jump on this? Fine then, I will.

lol, handball

Paint_It_Black
02-01-2010, 09:52 PM
I've got the balls; if you're willing to lend a hand we got ourselves a game.

wheelchairman
02-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Oh, like the French handball team?

I love that you took that line 100% seriously.
WTF?

the_offsprings_monkey
02-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Maybe I'm just being stupid, but what the feck is 'Handball'?! Also the French should stop winning sports an start winning a few wars!

Harleyquiiinn
02-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Maybe I'm just being stupid, but what the feck is 'Handball'?! Also the French should stop winning sports an start winning a few wars!

Hellooooo. So you're from England ? This country that currently makes an investigation to find out how the hell they got involved in the Iraq mess...

Maybe, the English should have thought about war before actually going there... :)*

Also, to put this on topic, we had different definitions about what handball is in this thread, I suggest you take a look... and we are talking about the one that is played mostly in Europe apparently.

* Of course, you're not the only one and at least yur country has the courage to investigate... but I had to answer to the easy french bashing

RageAndLov
02-02-2010, 05:05 PM
I love that you took that line 100% seriously.
WTF?

I'm loving it even more that you took that line 100 % seriously.