http://pulverizando.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/futebol.jpg
Discuss.

7Seconds
01-31-2010, 03:36 PM
Discuss.

Nah, I'm good.

Al Coholic
01-31-2010, 03:54 PM
ok, but you have to call your sport fansleep.

Jojan
01-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Sissy rugby.

Llamas
01-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Except you forgot the kickoffs http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2362726/2/istockphoto_2362726-football-kickoff.jpg

and the punts
http://www.lavonardo.net/blog/archives/pix/flickr--punt.jpg

and the field goals
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/7044432/2/istockphoto_7044432-football-player-kicking-field-goal.jpg

and man, if that's an egg, it sure is weirdly shaped :P And I mean, "Any of various rounded, movable objects used in various athletic activities and games" is a ball... soooooo...

But in all seriousness, I'm not really sure why we call it football. But I don't really care. I just like the game. :)

Al Coholic
01-31-2010, 04:57 PM
The straight man's rugby.

This is actually true, because you know, there's no scrums where you're pushing your face against another man's ass and whatnot.

RageAndLov
01-31-2010, 05:00 PM
and the field goals
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/7044432/2/istockphoto_7044432-football-player-kicking-field-goal.jpg

Wait, what is it that the guy with the number 3 on his jersey use to interact with the "ball"?

randy
01-31-2010, 07:08 PM
ok, but you have to call your sport fansleep.

You gotta be kidding.

AD90
01-31-2010, 07:21 PM
I guess the name Gridiron has been abolished or something?

We've got 3 kinds of Football, all of which is dominated by the hands.

We also have the traditional and tr00 Football, but they suck down here.

Al Coholic
01-31-2010, 07:40 PM
You gotta be kidding.

Or how about mouthyawn?

DMelges
01-31-2010, 08:06 PM
You are all wrong.

A football is a prolate spheroid. So it should be, "HPS" .

Thomas
01-31-2010, 08:28 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/Drummerguy123/Football.jpg

randy
01-31-2010, 08:35 PM
So what?It`s not like they are wrestlers,I like both sports,but if Soccer is the most played sport worldwide (believe it or not) it means is not that mouthyawning.
Beckham is not the player I would use to represent it,I'd pick Adriano instead.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn205/freitag_bucket/adriano.png

Llamas
01-31-2010, 11:54 PM
Thomas wins.

And it's only the most played sport because a lot of countries are too poor to have more sports ;) ;)

In all three countries I've lived in, soccer is not the most popular sport - in fact, it's relatively unpopular.

Vera
02-01-2010, 12:27 AM
"too poor to have more sports"

....Dude, classy. Real fucking classy.

Football is the sport of kings. It's more American than American football. It lifts people from poverty into the richest athletes in the whole world, and makes sure a poor boy from a favela can end up in a dirty English city in a castle bigger than the Queen's and cheat on his model-esque girlfriend with countless high end prostitutes.

It brings the world together every four years. It sparks the biggest arguments, the biggest passion in people from all over. It's among the few things a Korean, a Dutch and an Egyptian all have in common. It's more global than fucking Coca-Cola.

The players don't have big muscles but they also don't have scandals about steroid usage, they have lean, fucking beautiful bodies that inspire many a girlfriend who typically doesn't care about her boyfriend's favourite sport to watch a match or two with him regardless.

It's also an incredibly popular sport among women (as in, women playing -- and following).

If you shit on football you know fuck all about sports, dreams, athleticism. For every flaw the sport has, it has two legends to make up for it.

RickyCrack
02-01-2010, 12:35 AM
rugby > soccer

pussies play soccer

Vera
02-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Braindamaged people play rugby.

Harleyquiiinn
02-01-2010, 12:55 AM

Football is the sport of kings. It's more American than American football. It lifts people from poverty into the richest athletes in the whole world, and makes sure a poor boy from a favela can end up in a dirty English city in a castle bigger than the Queen's and cheat on his model-esque girlfriend with countless high end prostitutes.

It brings the world together every four years. It sparks the biggest arguments, the biggest passion in people from all over. It's among the few things a Korean, a Dutch and an Egyptian all have in common. It's more global than fucking Coca-Cola.

The players don't have big muscles but they also don't have scandals about steroid usage, they have lean, fucking beautiful bodies that inspire many a girlfriend who typically doesn't care about her boyfriend's favourite sport to watch a match or two with him regardless.

It's also an incredibly popular sport among women (as in, women playing -- and following).

If you shit on football you know fuck all about sports, dreams, athleticism. For every flaw the sport has, it has two legends to make up for it.

Beautifully said http://www.assas.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/jap.gif

But, I think it is possible to love several sports. For example, I like rugby too, and I love watching handball (the Olympic games kind of handball) but is it logical that american football is called football when they mostly run with a "ball" in their hands ? no.

As for Thomas' image, it reminded me of the South Park episode Chinpokomon..... "you american, biiig penises"

Vera
02-01-2010, 01:04 AM
Of course it's possible to love several sports. You don't have to pick sides. But to shit on football on the account of preferring American football is typically American arrogance and ignorance all wrapped in one. I don't poopoo handegg even though I don't see its appeal - it's a fine enough sport and considering how fucked up American school system is, I think it's cool there are sports scholarships that will benefit a lot of the talented but poor athletes. In my understanding college football plays a big part in those scholarships.

Also, thanks. :]

Paint_It_Black
02-01-2010, 02:15 AM
In all three countries I've lived in, soccer is not the most popular sport - in fact, it's relatively unpopular.

I've lived in two countries. In one, soccer is the most popular sport and everyone has access to healthcare. In the other, soccer is relatively unpopular and millions of people can't afford medical attention. Obviously, soccer saves lives.

Either that, or we're just saying silly things that have no real bearing on the actual discussion.

But to shit on football on the account of preferring American football is typically American arrogance and ignorance all wrapped in one.

Have I told you lately that I love you?

To be fair, Brianna initiated your posts here but she was mostly joking. To prevent an argument, I'm going to assume you probably aren't aiming your "arrogance and ignorance" assault at her. Instead I expect it just reminded you of all the Americans who do fit this description completely. Unfortunately I encounter those people quite often and it grows tiresome. Soccer (I used to refuse to use that term but it does prevent confusion) is growing in popularity in the US though, quite rapidly it seems to me. I suppose this is largely related to their male international team doing much better these days. People will have a tendency to like something more if their country is actually good at it, particularly Americans it seems.

On a bit of a side note, does anyone else kinda like that America doesn't get it? It sort of feels like the whole rest of the world has something awesome and the yanks are missing out. I sort of enjoy that sometimes, just a little bit.

Llamas
02-01-2010, 02:55 AM
rugby > soccer

pussies play soccer

yarly!

Oh come on, you really thought that was serious? Soccer is HUGE in the UK, and I'm *pretty damn sure* the UK isn't some po'ass country... same goes for Italy. And France. But okay, yeah, in order to give your argument merit, I'll pretend I'm really that much of a douche and complete idiot :p

I've lived in two countries. In one, soccer is the most popular sport and everyone has access to healthcare. In the other, soccer is relatively unpopular and millions of people can't afford medical attention. Obviously, soccer saves lives.

I only brought it up because someone was using the argument that, because soccer is the most popular sport in more countries than any other sport is, it must be great...

And with the original point of this thread... rageandlov is complaining that we call a sport "football", yet in a photo a posted of someone kicking the ball, there's a guy touching it with his hand. Therefore it should be "hand" and not "foot". By that very logic, shouldn't soccer be "any part of your body except hands ball"? Do you wanna rename the sport of Floorball, too? That one doesn't make any sense, either. Maybe that one should be stickball. What about curling? Why isn't that icebroom? But seriously.... who cares? :)

I'm just gonna end my posting in this thread with a big "shut the fuck up" to everyone who actually seriously insults a sport, insults people for liking a sport, or acts like liking sports is objective. This thread was unnecessary, and merely brings up a massively overdone point. It's not like americans don't wonder why it's called "football". Oh, and this post goes for the thread about handball, as well.

Vera
02-01-2010, 03:03 AM
I realize she was joking, especially with the "too poor" comment but that was still very much in bad taste, and reflects that sort of attitude I was talking about.

And yeah, I was talking on a more general level - hence the "typically". People can have good reasons to dislike football, but when it's this standard "it's for pussies with no bulging muscles or padding and it's gay because it's not excessively violent and I've never actually watched a game of it but AMERICA FUCK YEAH", it's like, come on, that's pathetic, ignorant reasoning.

I agree that Americans are missing out, though I know some Americans who do follow their local football scene and whatnot. The irony is that as you said, Americans do quite well on the international level, AFAIK. Then again, you know, their loss.

I wish I could just not work during summer. Hated missing so many matches during last WC. DO WANT 2010 South Africa. :D

WebDudette
02-01-2010, 03:06 AM
Fun fact: FIFA has more countries involved than the UN.

ps. one doesn't necessarily have to be serious to strike a nerve, or be classless.

Rooster
02-01-2010, 03:07 AM
And with the original point of this thread... rageandlov is complaining that we call a sport "football", yet in a photo a posted of someone kicking the ball, there's a guy touching it with his hand. Therefore it should be "hand" and not "foot". By that very logic, shouldn't soccer be "any part of your body except hands ball"?

Ehm, actually the goalkeeper uses his hands too. So it should be "everypartofbodyball". Not to mention that in recent times players in other positions can use hands too *cough-Henry-cough* :p

Harleyquiiinn
02-01-2010, 03:16 AM
Ehm, actually the goalkeeper uses his hands too. So it should be "everypartofbodyball". Not to mention that in recent times players in other positions can use hands too *cough-Henry-cough* :p

Oh like he was the only one ! it's not because this one was obvious, voluntary, decisive, that it was fimed and everybody saw it that he should be blamed for it :D

Llamas
02-01-2010, 03:20 AM

Excellent point. :)

On a serious note, in honesty, I think there's a very good reason Americans aren't really into soccer. To start with, I feel like we have "enough" sports within our own country. We have American football in the fall, hockey in the winter, basketball in the spring, and then baseball. There are dozens of professional-level games and even *more* college games to watch on a weekly basis.

With soccer, how often does the US team even play? Definitely not weekly. There's not much to watch comparatively.

Any of my american friends who are really into sports (including myself) watch the world cup. We do. And that's the extent of our interest. Which means we "care" once every four years. I honestly have never met someone I remotely respected who actually had some insulting point of view about soccer. I have some friends who play it on a league, but still don't really watch it due to how infrequent the games are, and how many other sports they already watch.

I have taken to watching a bit of soccer here in CZ, but again, the team doesn't play that often. Well, obviously after they were eliminated from the tournament, that massively dropped off, but even before then... there was like, one game a month.

RageAndLov
02-01-2010, 04:30 AM
And with the original point of this thread... rageandlov is complaining that we call a sport "football", yet in a photo a posted of someone kicking the ball, there's a guy touching it with his hand. Therefore it should be "hand" and not "foot". By that very logic, shouldn't soccer be "any part of your body except hands ball"? Do you wanna rename the sport of Floorball, too? That one doesn't make any sense, either. Maybe that one should be stickball. What about curling? Why isn't that icebroom? But seriously.... who cares? :)

Associated football is called football because you use your feet to interact with the ball. In American football you rarely use your feet, you use mostly your hands. And it is not even a ball. So the logic here is to call a sport for the most known and the most used features it has. The terminology is messed up. Just like those "anarchists" who think that everyone should rule and rules must be in an anarchistic society. If you think like that, you're no longer an anarchist, but they absolutely have to use that term for it. The same goes for democracy. What is known as democracy is really oligarchy. But people insist to use the wrong term till their last breath.

Llamas
02-01-2010, 04:37 AM
Man, it's called "language". Meanings evolve and change. Not every word is used because it's the most literal. You could sit around, analyzing and picking apart any language all day long... it'd drive you nuts. I could list a few hundred words whose meanings don't make sense. Hell, even basic words you use every day - awesome and awful. Both mean the same thing literally, and used to mean the same thing, but somehow over time, "awful" became a bad thing... even though it means "full of awe". It's just language. We know what we mean, and if you stress about words not being literal enough, it'll drive you nuts.

RageAndLov
02-01-2010, 04:49 AM
Man, it's called "language". Meanings evolve and change. Not every word is used because it's the most literal. You could sit around, analyzing and picking apart any language all day long... it'd drive you nuts. I could list a few hundred words whose meanings don't make sense. Hell, even basic words you use every day - awesome and awful. Both mean the same thing literally, and used to mean the same thing, but somehow over time, "awful" became a bad thing... even though it means "full of awe". It's just language. We know what we mean, and if you stress about words not being literal enough, it'll drive you nuts.

Well, I actually like having words mean what they mean. When you say "football" I expect it being feet heavily involved with balls.

Vera
02-01-2010, 04:49 AM

Henry can use his hands on me any day.

The semantics argument is once again tied to what I think some euros feel is American arrogance. Our football is called "soccer" but their sport can be called "football" even though they don't even kick the ball? wtf? It's a bit tired at this point but still remains popular.

RageAndLov
02-01-2010, 04:52 AM

I agree with this very much.

WebDudette
02-01-2010, 04:58 AM
Isn't rugby just short for rugby football? Also, I don't think the phrase soccer originated in the United States.

Llamas
02-01-2010, 05:09 AM
Isn't rugby just short for rugby football?
I think rugby was originally called football in the 18th century, long before "soccer" was invented.

Also, I don't think the phrase soccer originated in the United States.

Yup, you are correct.

"Nowadays, the word soccer is usually attributed to Americans, but it was not the Americans who first used or invented the word, they were simply the ones that used it to full effect.

Paradoxally, the origin of the word soccer comes from…you guessed, England. Soccer gained popularity in the United States later than in the rest of Europe and since the Americans already had a use for the world "football" in understanding the sport of American Football, a middle option was tried on in between 1945 and 1975, when the organization that controlled soccer in the USA was called the "United States Soccer Football Association".

It's often mistakenly thought that the United States are the only country that uses the term soccer for what is traditionally known as football in Europe, Asia and other parts of the World. However, the new name was adopted by other countries, specifically those that associated football to a different sport prior to soccer being popular. Such countries include Australia, Canada, New Zealand and some parts of Ireland."

So now you can stop talking about how stupid Americans are about this whole thing. :-P Or how arrogant we are. :)

AD90
02-01-2010, 05:30 AM
Isn't rugby just short for rugby football? Also, I don't think the phrase soccer originated in the United States.

It's Rugby Union.

There's also Rugby League.

randman21
02-01-2010, 05:35 AM
People sure are touchy about weird stuff around here. I think the "handegg" thing is just as arrogant as anything I've seen here.

I imagine that virtually nobody dislikes a sport because they have some innate grudge against it. Whenever someone makes a comment such as llamas', they're mostly either joking or they're closed-minded hicks, and latter doesn't even come close to the former. I've never met a person who, in a serious conversation about sports, had an irrational reason for not liking the game.

Vera
02-01-2010, 05:36 AM
From Online Etymology Dictionary:

soccer
1889, socca, later socker (1891), soccer (1895), originally university slang (with jocular formation -er; see -er (3)), from a shortened form of Assoc., abbreviation of association in Football Association (as opposed to Rugby football); cf. rugger, but they hardly could have taken the first three letters of Assoc.

Whoopdedoo, an English word invented in England. Most bizarre.

Also, the last sentence there is LOL. :D

So now you can stop talking about how stupid Americans are about this whole thing. :-P Or how arrogant we are. :)

Whoah, touchy. I was personally discussing the perception of Euros of American arrogance. That doesn't mean Americans *are* or that we think they're all arrogant and idiotic. It's a stereotype people sometimes hold and that Americans, on occasion, feed with their behavior. The discussion of football vs American football is one where this stereotype typically surfaces, both in the expectations of non-Americans as to how Americans behave, and also how some Americans choose to behave.

My rant was born out of the fact that I've found myself having this discussion, regarding the sports - not so much the vapid semantics surrounding the whole thing - far too many times than I would've liked to (or just having to defend football as a sport or whatever). The conversation is rarely simplistically Americans vs Euros, though, but Thomas' picture just sort of brought up all that frustration in me of those "soccer is for sissies" bullshit and I felt like venting a little. Then the conversation sort of took a serious turn. Whatev.

Llamas
02-01-2010, 05:38 AM
Whoah, touchy. I was personally discussing the perception of Euros of American arrogance. That doesn't mean Americans *are* or that we think they're all arrogant and idiotic. It's a stereotype people sometimes hold and that Americans, on occasion, feed with their behavior. The discussion of football vs American football is one where this stereotype typically surfaces, both in the expectations of non-Americans as to how Americans behave, and also how some Americans choose to behave.

It wasn't really directed at you (only sarcastically), as I know you weren't saying that stuff yourself. It was directed at the mentality of much of this thread, and some of the people who actually have said things about Americans being stupid about these things.

Harleyquiiinn
02-01-2010, 05:48 AM
People sure are touchy about weird stuff around here. I think the "handegg" thing is just as arrogant as anything I've seen here.

I imagine that virtually nobody dislikes a sport because they have some innate grudge against it. Whenever someone makes a comment such as llamas', they're mostly either joking or they're closed-minded hicks, and latter doesn't even come close to the former. I've never met a person who, in a serious conversation about sports, had an irrational reason for not liking the game.

Yes, but there is something we can all agree on: Handegg would be a really cool name for a sport.

"Hey man! I'm playing professionnal handegg"

"Here comes the National Handegg team !"

Vera
02-01-2010, 05:55 AM
The best sport name ever is kuningaspallo, translation: kingball.

KINGBALL.

KINGBALL.

It's a ballgame played in 19th century and early 20th century Finland that was later fused with American baseball to create Finland's national sport, pesäpallo.

wheelchairman
02-01-2010, 05:56 AM
This conversation looks really boring. So I just wanted to troll a little with my following comment:

It's always Europeans who whine about the fact that there are two sports called football. You never hear Americans whine or even care really. In fact where I grew up people thought it was exciting and foreign! (That last part isn't true.)

AD90
02-01-2010, 05:57 AM
That's only cause THEY've had one tr00 Football their whole time.

Paint_It_Black
02-01-2010, 06:27 AM
With soccer, how often does the US team even play? Definitely not weekly. There's not much to watch comparatively.

You do know there are club games too, right? It's not just an international sport? I mean, you must know that, but you really sound like you don't. But yeah, you know that.

When you say "football" I expect it being feet heavily involved with balls.

You expect to see feet, but you actually see hands. Ironic.

However, the new name was adopted by other countries, specifically those that associated football to a different sport prior to soccer being popular. Such countries include Australia, Canada, New Zealand and some parts of Ireland."

Ok, many former British colonies are dumb, not just America. Better? :P

This conversation looks really boring.

There are some fun bits. Personally I'm just posting in this thread because it's getting replies. I'll take activity where I can find it.

Vera
02-01-2010, 06:29 AM
I'm waiting for somebody to take the ball and run with it re: Henry being fuckable.

You people suck. :[

Harleyquiiinn
02-01-2010, 06:40 AM
I'm waiting for somebody to take the ball and run with it re: Henry being fuckable.

You people suck. :[

Oh you should have waited just a little more...

I was always more of a Thuram kind of girl though...

nieh
02-01-2010, 07:26 AM
you expect to see feet, but you actually see hands. Ironic.
<3<3<3<3<3

Apathy
02-01-2010, 07:37 AM
You know, I have very little national pride, and a lot of that has to do with more than half of it being populated by worthless hicks, disgusting reactionaries, fundamentalist Christians, and ignorant racists.

But on this point, I have always remained an American. The Handegg argument is so fucking stupid for numerous different reasons, the most obvious of which is that people can't seem to grasp that a ball doesn't have to be sphere, and the most important of which is that a name often has little to do with conveying the actual meaning of the word. It only maintains it's use through association in the listeners thoughts. It just so happens that two different cultures associate the word to different things.

Gee, that's fucking insane? Who could ever be so asinine to associate a particular word to a different meaning than I Do? Even though I don't seem to care that there are numerous other differences even amongst a common language (boot,fags,platform) I am going to be pissed about this particular instance and call them stupid.

Furthermore, the sports are so entirely unrelated it makes no sense to call anyone a "sissy" in comparison. Compared to American Football, soccer players look like stringy little wimps. But compared to soccer players, American Football players look like fat-ass, beefy, meatheads. So sure they might be sissies, but that just means that our players are fat-ass meatheads. And I would prefer to not call either group either of those things.

Paint_It_Black
02-01-2010, 07:59 AM
I will never stop loving the fact that Apathy is like the least apathetic person here.

Seriously, it tickles me.

Vera
02-01-2010, 08:13 AM
I find it semi-amusing these arguments always end up with people making vague half-directed arguments (to somebody) and half just sort of talking to some vague generalizations.

To avoid doing that, I'll say this post is mainly in response to what Apathy said.

With regards to bodysize ("sissy" vs "meathead"), both sports require a certain form. It's not like either set of athletes go for a certain look purely for aesthetics.

Mmmm I'm starting to taste a foot in my mouth the longer I post in this thread but I also kind of like it. This is the most active I've been on the board for ages.

So... Egg in Finnish slang means penis.

Apathy
02-01-2010, 08:18 AM
To avoid doing that, I'll say this post is mainly in response to what Apathy said.

With regards to bodysize ("sissy" vs "meathead"), both sports require a certain form. It's not like either set of athletes go for a certain look purely for aesthetics.

That's what I said. As far as I can tell you're agreeing with me, but I'm not sure why it's in response to me in that case.

Seriously, it tickles me.

I try my very best, dear.

Vera
02-01-2010, 08:21 AM
That's what I said. As far as I can tell you're agreeing with me, but I'm not sure why it's in response to me in that case.

Oh, I thought you were still making those statements "they look like X compared to Y but I'd rather not say it", whereas I don't even think the descriptions are very apt in the first place - even in comparison.

But nevermind, it's not important.

Apathy
02-01-2010, 08:28 AM
I was just trying to make that exact point, that they're entirely different sports so of course they are going to require a different set of physical skills and the players aren't going to look alike.

This not only goes for Americans who seem to think that anybody who isn't huge is a sissy but also for Europeans who believe that every American athlete is in a state of perpetual roid rage. That's baseball.

AD90
02-01-2010, 08:32 AM
I wouldn't put all blame, maybe very little, on Baseball here.

When you see Linebackers, they're huge. But as opposed to O/D-Line, they're in great shape, but still huge.

Free?
02-01-2010, 08:32 AM
"Eggs" in English have exactly the same meaning as "balls" in Russian slang.

I also love how it's impossible for llamas to say anything without starting full-scale debates with polar-opposite opinions nowadays.

And last, but not the least: I love how PIB is made of fabric of purewin itself.

Llamas
02-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Yes, but there is something we can all agree on: Handegg would be a really cool name for a sport.

"Hey man! I'm playing professionnal handegg"

"Here comes the National Handegg team !"

Yeah but then the US would have two NHLs!! :-O

You do know there are club games too, right? It's not just an international sport? I mean, you must know that, but you really sound like you don't. But yeah, you know that.
Yes, I do know that, but most countries (not all, but most) seem to not really care about club games because it's generally the same team that goes on to play internationally. And those are the games that actually "matter", apparently. (I'm basing all my generalizations and stereotypes on soccer fans from various countries)

You expect to see feet, but you actually see hands. Ironic.
I wanna say this joke is sooo old, but I'd rather say HEY FUCK YOU >:O

You know, I have very little national pride, and a lot of that has to do with more than half of it being populated by worthless hicks, disgusting reactionaries, fundamentalist Christians, and ignorant racists.

But on this point, I have always remained an American. The Handegg argument is so fucking stupid for numerous different reasons, the most obvious of which is that people can't seem to grasp that a ball doesn't have to be sphere, and the most important of which is that a name often has little to do with conveying the actual meaning of the word. It only maintains it's use through association in the listeners thoughts. It just so happens that two different cultures associate the word to different things.

Gee, that's fucking insane? Who could ever be so asinine to associate a particular word to a different meaning than I Do? Even though I don't seem to care that there are numerous other differences even amongst a common language (boot,fags,platform) I am going to be pissed about this particular instance and call them stupid.

Furthermore, the sports are so entirely unrelated it makes no sense to call anyone a "sissy" in comparison. Compared to American Football, soccer players look like stringy little wimps. But compared to soccer players, American Football players look like fat-ass, beefy, meatheads. So sure they might be sissies, but that just means that our players are fat-ass meatheads. And I would prefer to not call either group either of those things.

I agree with this entire post.

Free? it's always been this way... :-/

RageAndLov
02-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Yes, I do know that, but most countries (not all, but most) seem to not really care about club games because it's generally the same team that goes on to play internationally. And those are the games that actually "matter", apparently. (I'm basing all my generalizations and stereotypes on soccer fans from various countries)

Woah woah woah. In Europe, clubs are huge. Champions League (a league where Europe's best clubs play against each other in a knock-out kind of tournament) is the major thing happening each season. Many Europeans are more devoted to a certain club than a national team.

Llamas
02-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Like I said, I'm basing my stereotypes and generalizations on people I know from various countries, most of which are in Europe. I only know one person who follows club soccer, and he's American. None of my european friends follow anything unless their team is in either the euro cup or the world cup.

RageAndLov
02-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Also, in China there are 20 million fans alone of the English club Manchester United.

Omni
02-01-2010, 09:54 AM
I honestly had no idea there was such a big "fake football vs. real football" war going on.

Paint_It_Black
02-01-2010, 09:58 AM
I love how PIB is made of fabric of purewin itself.

Free? it's always been this way... :-/

Well maybe he only just noticed. Give the guy a break. Why do you have to be so damn argumentative all the time? I bet you'll just backtrack now and say I misunderstood you. Jeez.

Woah woah woah. In Europe, clubs are huge.

This. So much. In England, random strangers will start a conversation with you by asking what team you support.

Llamas
02-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Well maybe he only just noticed. Give the guy a break. Why do you have to be so damn argumentative all the time? I bet you'll just backtrack now and say I misunderstood you. Jeez.
Jesus, shut the fuck up. Don't make me explain irony.

This. So much. In England, random strangers will start a conversation with you by asking what team you support.
But see, England is the country that keeps being referenced. I've never once disagreed that soccer is HUUUUUGE in England. I've been to 12 countries in Europe, and in England and Italy, I couldn't stop hearing about soccer. In a couple, I heard maybe a couple things... in the rest, nothing - not even when I tried to bring it up in conversation. Nobody cares/d. None of this disproves my entire point from earlier, just picks apart one small part of it.

Paint_It_Black
02-01-2010, 10:10 AM
I got the distinct impression that club football was big all over Europe, but hell, I really don't know. My example was meant as just one example. Not really trying to prove you wrong exactly. I figured more people could chime in with their personal experiences and we could, you know, just kinda go from there.

Vera
02-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Well, it's all anecdotal evidence against other people's anecdotal evidence. Football clubs have a lot of hardcore fans in football mad countries, in slightly less football mad countries etc etc. The big bucks are in league football.

It's tough because I don't think there's statistics regarding fans of World Cup/Euro Cup football vs actually football teams football. I'd say the hardcore fans follow both, casual fans just follow WC.

As for what gets discussed years afterwards, it's probably WC matches. If Zidane had headbutted somebody in a regular game, it would've made headlines but perhaps not caused such a huge controversy. I don't think it diminishes the importance of league football, though, because most players probably feel primary loyalty to their paychecks, not the national team they play for.

RageAndLov
02-01-2010, 10:20 AM
But see, England is the country that keeps being referenced. I've never once disagreed that soccer is HUUUUUGE in England. I've been to 12 countries in Europe, and in England and Italy, I couldn't stop hearing about soccer. In a couple, I heard maybe a couple things... in the rest, nothing - not even when I tried to bring it up in conversation. Nobody cares/d. None of this disproves my entire point from earlier, just picks apart one small part of it.

Football is the biggest sport in throughout whole Scandinavia (though Norway suck at it), Spain is crazy about it, Italy riots when football is brought up, don't get me started with the Germans, the Dutch are really into their clubs, the list goes on. In fact, in many South American countries, the football stadiums get so filled up that every year, people get stomped to death. Asians are crazy about their clubs.
Of course, not every person is interested in football, you might have encountered many people who just aren't in to it, but football is huge, both club-wise and nation-wise.

Llamas
02-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Yeah, it's not... especially not in the Czech Republic or Austria. Here, if they care about a sport (pretty damn apathetic about sports, sadly) it's hockey. In Austria, it's skiing. Actually, it was so funny in Austria, because at all the pubs, the tvs were all always turned to skiing. Such an odd sport to watch at the pub, haha.

I actually hoped that I would gain more of an appreciation for soccer upon moving here... that people would want to go to games. But nobody does... they can't even fill up the stadium for the huge games. I don't know what it is - Czech people keep telling me Czechs are too lazy to care. And it's really not all that much better for hockey games, though I think they can fill up the stands for huge games. Not completely sure on that one.

Actually what I found the oddest was that CZ played Slovakia in soccer last fall, and it was a really important game for them to stay in the tournament. Supposedly, it was a "huuuuuge" game because of the tournament and because of the rivalry, but even though everyone knew the outcome of it, only one person I know actually watched it (besides me).

Edit: all the Swedes and Finns I know (besides Vera :P) love either hockey or floorball... I haven't met a single one who was into soccer. :-$

But this is neither here nor there; if England isn't enough of an example to prove that soccer is huge all over Europe, CZ and Austria aren't enough to prove that it's not. Just what I thought to be somewhat interesting anecdotes.

RageAndLov
02-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Well, it's all anecdotal evidence against other people's anecdotal evidence. Football clubs have a lot of hardcore fans in football mad countries, in slightly less football mad countries etc etc. The big bucks are in league football.

It's tough because I don't think there's statistics regarding fans of World Cup/Euro Cup football vs actually football teams football. I'd say the hardcore fans follow both, casual fans just follow WC.

As for what gets discussed years afterwards, it's probably WC matches. If Zidane had headbutted somebody in a regular game, it would've made headlines but perhaps not caused such a huge controversy. I don't think it diminishes the importance of league football, though, because most players probably feel primary loyalty to their paychecks, not the national team they play for.

Well, Champions League matches (at least finales) are remembered. Like when Milan was in the lead 3-0 when half the game was played, but Liverpool managed to win in the Champions League Finale. Or when Liverpool and Chelsea played in the semi finales, and Liverpool won 1-0 even though it was not certain if the ball ever crossed the goal line.
You also got the game rigging in Italy and major clubs being pulled down leagues.

Offspring-Junkie
02-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Yeah, it's not... especially not in the Czech Republic or Austria. Here, if they care about a sport (pretty damn apathetic about sports, sadly) it's hockey. In Austria, it's skiing. Actually, it was so funny in Austria, because at all the pubs, the tvs were all always turned to skiing. Such an odd sport to watch at the pub, haha.

I actually hoped that I would gain more of an appreciation for soccer upon moving here... that people would want to go to games. But nobody does... they can't even fill up the stadium for the huge games. I don't know what it is - Czech people keep telling me Czechs are too lazy to care. And it's really not all that much better for hockey games, though I think they can fill up the stands for huge games. Not completely sure on that one.

Actually what I found the oddest was that CZ played Slovakia in soccer last fall, and it was a really important game for them to stay in the tournament. Supposedly, it was a "huuuuuge" game because of the tournament and because of the rivalry, but even though everyone knew the outcome of it, only one person I know actually watched it (besides me).

Edit: all the Swedes and Finns I know (besides Vera :P) love either hockey or floorball... I haven't met a single one who was into soccer. :-$

But this is neither here nor there; if England isn't enough of an example to prove that soccer is huge all over Europe, CZ and Austria aren't enough to prove that it's not. Just what I thought to be somewhat interesting anecdotes.
You're wrong. No matter what your friends tell you or what you've seen, soccer is huge in Austria, Europe and the whole world.

Apathy
02-01-2010, 01:07 PM
...well...except the states.

Offspring-Junkie
02-01-2010, 01:10 PM
...and Australia, Kanada and southeast Asia, but it is the most popular sport in the world without any doubt.

Llamas
02-01-2010, 01:17 PM
I never said soccer isn't the most popular sport in the world; of course it is. I also didn't say it's not a big thing in Austria or many other countries, I just said it's not always the BIGGEST sport. Like I said, in the pubs in Austria, I saw skiing on tv WAAYYYY more often than soccer. And most people I knew there were far more into skiing. I didn't say that nobody likes soccer, though, or that soccer isn't the most popular sport worldwide (if by "most popular" we mean "played in the biggest number of countries").

Offspring-Junkie
02-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Alright then.

RickyCrack
02-01-2010, 06:20 PM
kabooooom (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28271)

Apathy
02-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Sin Studly hates American football too though.

So ehh.

AD90
02-01-2010, 07:53 PM
...and Australia

Only when it comes to International. And only when it matters. National struggles to get 20,000 at a game.

Australian Rules Football is the big one down here. Fills out stadiums of 100,000. Rugby League is 2nd, and Rugby Union sort of follows the Soccer mentality, small for club, big for International.

Thomas
02-01-2010, 08:21 PM
I think the "handegg" thing is just as arrogant as anything I've seen here.

+1

I've NEVER, not once, in my entire life, heard this conversation brought up by someone who prefers soccer to american football, and trust me, I know PLENTY of american football fans. I actually played on a soccer team for a few years before I even knew the rules to american football. I'm sure most americans are very much aware of the fact that football is used as the name for our soccer in most of the rest of the world, but honestly, most of us don't really give a damn either way. It's like, "yeah, I know, and I'm completely apathetic to fact, so stop bugging me about it and let me watch my own goddamn game."

It's always Europeans who whine about the fact that there are two sports called football. You never hear Americans whine or even care really. In fact where I grew up people thought it was exciting and foreign! (That last part isn't true.)

That's pretty much what I was trying to say.

btw, my picture that I posted on the second page was meant to be ironically douchey as the first picture was. I enjoy soccer or "football" or whatever the fuck you want to call it. If you don't like my sport, just shut the fuck up already because we don't want to hear it and you aren't going to convince us to change the name of the sport, like, ever.

Paint_It_Black
02-01-2010, 09:01 PM
I don't think it diminishes the importance of league football, though, because most players probably feel primary loyalty to their paychecks, not the national team they play for.

Plus playing in the leagues is what makes the players so good. I like to think of it as practice for the international events that I actually care about.

Apathy
02-01-2010, 09:33 PM
I can't believe I wasted my 3000th post somewhere in here.

You'd think I could have saved that bad boy for a special occasion, but no. This is why I can't have nice things.

ninthz
02-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Apathy pays attention to his post count.

This thread is a circlejerk of mediocrity. Sanni, babe, no one cares what girls think of sports. Bri, hun, no one cares what girls who look like dudes think of sports even more so (and gg for posting shitty Wisconsin photos). This thread is a semantics argument and any argument concerning semantics is bound to come off as incessant bickering, so good job on that guys. Yeah, everyone gets it that all Europeans are suave and beautiful and live in palatial houses and all Americans are ignorant and fat and reside primarily in trailer parks. Got it, nationalism and all that shit. Now if you'll excuse me, my dick hasn't been in anything since yesterday so I'm going to put it in my hand (a far more productive activity than bitching on the Internet). Peace faggots. :):):):):)

Vera
02-01-2010, 10:53 PM
I do realize this thread is more fail than win. And that I've ruffled some American eagle feathers, which is part of why I've consistently tried to bring it to a more orderly conversation or random trying-to-be-funny but if it's failed to work, sorry, it must be my vagina. :[

Offspring-Junkie
02-02-2010, 01:25 AM

This thread is a circlejerk of mediocrity. Sanni, babe, no one cares what girls think of sports. Bri, hun, no one cares what girls who look like dudes think of sports even more so (and gg for posting shitty Wisconsin photos). This thread is a semantics argument and any argument concerning semantics is bound to come off as incessant bickering, so good job on that guys. Yeah, everyone gets it that all Europeans are suave and beautiful and live in palatial houses and all Americans are ignorant and fat and reside primarily in trailer parks. Got it, nationalism and all that shit. Now if you'll excuse me, my dick hasn't been in anything since yesterday so I'm going to put it in my hand (a far more productive activity than bitching on the Internet). Peace faggots.

You should put your dick in your hand before you start trolling. Maybe you'd write something useful or even charming instead.
Peace badass.

RickyCrack
02-02-2010, 02:21 AM
You should put your dick in your hand before you start trolling. Maybe you'd write something useful or even charming instead.
Peace badass.

what's the point in charm?

Offspring-Junkie
02-02-2010, 02:26 AM
I read some insults in there. That's not very charming.

RickyCrack
02-02-2010, 02:28 AM
i asked what the point in charm is. not a definition.

Offspring-Junkie
02-02-2010, 02:46 AM
Well, I don't know. It's not bad to be politely in general. If you're rude, don't be surprised if someone fires back. There is a point in charm, believe it or not. Even in the internet.

RickyCrack
02-02-2010, 02:53 AM
yea i'm sure you showed him.

Apathy
02-02-2010, 10:26 AM

Yup. I keep it trimmed nicely, not so much for me, it's more for the ladies.

JohnnyNemesis
02-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Regarding page 1: if anyone but ilovellamas made that exact same post, no one would have made any issue of it. Blah.

Either that, or we're just saying silly things that have no real bearing on the actual discussion.

On this BBS? Never!

oh, and lolsoccer.

ninthz
02-03-2010, 09:40 AM
how2internet?
:):)