PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl records

Omni
02-01-2010, 12:00 AM
So, I've recently discovered I have a love for vinyl. I enjoy the sense of rarity in a record, and it puts me in the mood to listen to a whole album. I also like how it's a better collector's item than cds. Does anyone else share this interest? I'm trying to buy as many new records as I can, but I'll buy used if they're in good condition. Which reminds me, is there any site I can go to in order to order new records (besides eBay or something. Like a specialty store), or do I just have to be on the hunt for them or ask the store to special order if they're willing? I've bought two Offspring, a Pennywise, and a Misfits album thus far. I'm hoping to make my collection a lot more diverse than punk records, of course, but I've found with vinyl you just have to get what's available or affordable. New records can be a steal (found a new Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace for six bucks. the cover was a little dinged, but it was still unopened), or fairly expensive (White Stripes' latest album went for 30.00).

Sidewinder
02-01-2010, 06:16 PM
If you buy them off eBay they're more than likely remakes. If you want originals, try stores like Junkman's Son and stuff like that.

RageAndLov
02-01-2010, 06:29 PM
I love vinyl records and I prefer them over CDs.
Some good places to buy records:
www.interpunk.com
www.1234gorecords.com
http://www.vinylconflict.com/store/
www.tigernet.no

Omni
02-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Ah, thanks a lot. People can remake records? Like with the same cover and everything?

RageAndLov
02-02-2010, 01:52 AM
Are you talking about repressing records?

Omni
02-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Um, I guess so? Like making an illegal copy of a record. Can people do it and make it look the same as the original? I didn't think it was something that people did.

jacknife737
02-02-2010, 02:53 PM
I've thought about switching over to vinyl on a few occasions, but i just don't feel like replacing all of my cds: seems like a lot of cash.

RageAndLov
02-02-2010, 04:15 PM
I've thought about switching over to vinyl on a few occasions, but i just don't feel like replacing all of my cds: seems like a lot of cash.

You know you can have both?

Um, I guess so? Like making an illegal copy of a record. Can people do it and make it look the same as the original? I didn't think it was something that people did.

I guess it is possible, but the marked for vinyl records is so slim that it is not a common practice, if it is at all. If the record is sealed and has the brand of the record label, I think you're safe.

Omni
02-02-2010, 04:17 PM

Cds are kind of going out, and records are a sort of classical thing to own. I just prefer collecting them.

RageAndLov
02-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Cds are kind of going out, and records are a sort of classical thing to own. I just prefer collecting them.

You mean you don't play them? I started with vinyl when most of the music I listen to didn't exist on CD.

Omni
02-02-2010, 06:02 PM
I don't have a working player right now, but I'll be listening to them when I buy one.

randman21
02-02-2010, 06:10 PM
I've always loved records. My mom had a box of old motown records when I was about 5, and I remember spending whole days listening to them. I have a feeling that yesterday, I rekindled that love and bought the first of what will be a pretty damn awesome record collection. I just walked into a used book store and right in front was an album I've wanted for a while, They Might Be Giants self-titled album. I can't even find the CD anymore and this record is in GREAT shape, and seems to be from the original pressing in 1986. I was stoked.

Anyway, I remember seeing some sites where you can get good vinyls, but I wasn't interested then. I'll retrace my steps and see if I can find them again for you.

EDIT: BTW, does anyone know how good USB turntables are? I'm looking into getting one.

Omni
02-02-2010, 06:11 PM
We should start a vinyl social group or something.

jacknife737
02-02-2010, 07:02 PM
You know you can have both?

Well yeah, but i wouldn't want a half and half collection.

I know, and i like collecting them as well: it's unfortunate, but i think when they finally stop printing cds, i'll just switch to complete digital downloads. But i agree, there is something neat about actual records.

RageAndLov
02-03-2010, 01:19 AM
EDIT: BTW, does anyone know how good USB turntables are? I'm looking into getting one.

I've heard that they mostly work pretty well, but it takes hours to convert the music from vinyl till mp3 files, and you must do it manually.

Llamas
02-03-2010, 04:22 AM
I love how records sound - much better sound quality than anything else. But I'm far too much of a traveler, maybe a gypsy, to own something that huge, heavy, and space-consuming. I barely own my own furniture, let alone something so unnecessary. However, I started collecting CDs when I was 12, and have a collection now of around 350 or so. I'll never get rid of that collection, and probably won't stop buying CDs even when they become as unpopular as records. I don't think I've ever *decided* to start a collection... the ones I have (CDs, musical instruments) started by accident and I didn't even realize it til I had a bunch. But yeah, records sound nice. I'd own them for the sound quality... if they weren't so huge and easy to scratch/destroy :-/

RageAndLov
02-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Just to clear things up, a record is a record, whether it comes out as vinyl, CD, cassette etc.

randman21
02-03-2010, 03:46 PM
There you go with those semantics again. :D

But actually, a record is specifically the thing we're talking about, but over the years, the word became synonymous with "a collection of recorded music". It's like using the word "diapers," even if you're not talking about the particular brand.

RageAndLov
02-03-2010, 03:59 PM
There you go with those semantics again. :D

But actually, a record is specifically the thing we're talking about, but over the years, the word became synonymous with "a collection of recorded music". It's like using the word "diapers," even if you're not talking about the particular brand.

Musically, a record is a data storage device that contains audio data.

randman21
02-04-2010, 05:46 AM
Yes, but as I said, it gradually came to be known that. At the beginning of recorded music, there was only one medium, and since that actual physical disc was called a record, whatever was on it would have to be called a record. And as we moved on to 8-tracks tapes to cassettes to CDs and now to digital media, the name just stuck.

So yeah, you're right. While record now describes any data storage device that contains audio data, at its most strict meaning, it's that particular vinyl disc.

Llamas
02-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Musically, a record is a data storage device that contains audio data.

This is one definition, but that's not the one I'm referring to. I'm referring to:

"a. A disk designed to be played on a phonograph."

"3. A vinyl disc on which sound is recorded and may be replayed on a phonograph. ex: I still like records better than CDs."

Vinyl doesn't always refer to a disc that has audio recordings etched into it, either. Both words have more than one meaning, but "record" means what I used it for, also.

Edit: I think it's funny that someone who has learned English as a foreign language is trying to correct an English teacher :D Not that I'm never wrong, but in most cases with English, I know damn well what I'm talking about. :-P

RageAndLov
02-04-2010, 09:51 AM
This is one definition, but that's not the one I'm referring to. I'm referring to:

"a. A disk designed to be played on a phonograph."

"3. A vinyl disc on which sound is recorded and may be replayed on a phonograph. ex: I still like records better than CDs."

Vinyl doesn't always refer to a disc that has audio recordings etched into it, either. Both words have more than one meaning, but "record" means what I used it for, also.

Edit: I think it's funny that someone who has learned English as a foreign language is trying to correct an English teacher :D Not that I'm never wrong, but in most cases with English, I know damn well what I'm talking about. :-P

Well, according to the American Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a record is
"to cause (as sound, visual images, or data) to be registered on something (as a disc or magnetic tape) in reproducible form"

It says nothing about vinyl records in particular.

I know you're an English teacher and that English is your native language since you're from the USA. Therefore you know your language better than I do. Nevertheless, I know some English too, and there are some things I have done some research on. I might add as well that I have had an English teacher from Australia that taught me a thing or two about English.

Harleyquiiinn
02-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Are you talking about American records or European records ?

(Again. A subtle reference. But I won't say of what because Paint_It_Black said it would be better if I don't explain)

Llamas
02-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Well, according to the American Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a record is
"to cause (as sound, visual images, or data) to be registered on something (as a disc or magnetic tape) in reproducible form"

It says nothing about vinyl records in particular.

I know you're an English teacher and that English is your native language since you're from the USA. Therefore you know your language better than I do. Nevertheless, I know some English too, and there are some things I have done some research on. I might add as well that I have had an English teacher from Australia that taught me a thing or two about English.

You gave the definition of the verb. I'm using the noun. According to the American Merriam-Webster Dictionary, a record (not to record is:

Main Entry: rec·ord
Pronunciation: \ˈre-kərd also -ˌkȯrd\
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
1 : the state or fact of being recorded
2 : something that records: as a : something that recalls or relates past events b : an official document that records the acts of a public body or officer c : an authentic official copy of a document deposited with a legally designated officer d : the official copy of the papers used in a law case
3 a (1) : a body of known or recorded facts about something or someone especially with reference to a particular sphere of activity that often forms a discernible pattern <a good academic record> <a liberal voting record> (2) : a collection of related items of information (as in a database) treated as a unit b (1) : an attested top performance (2) : an unsurpassed statistic
4 : something on which sound or visual images have been recorded; specifically : a disc with a spiral groove carrying recorded sound for phonograph reproduction
— for the record : for public knowledge : on the record
— off the record : not for publication <spoke off the record> <remarks that were off the record>
— of record 1 : being documented or attested <a partner of record in several firms>
2 : being authoritative or sanctioned <a newspaper of record>
— on record 1 : in the position of having publicly declared oneself <went on record as opposed to higher taxes>
2 : being known, published, or documented <the judge's opinion is on record>
— on the record : for publication

Ugh, this is sooo stupid... why are you so hung up on semantics, Rageandlov?

Harley, it was funny before, but it got old... no offense :)

Harleyquiiinn
02-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Ilovellamas > Oh come on, you could have said something about my joke :(

Edit> Oh you did but now, I'm sad you did :(

I just made that joke once before ! it's not old :D

Llamas
02-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Ilovellamas > Oh come on, you could have said something about my joke :(

Edit> Oh you did but now, I'm sad you did :(

I just made that joke once before ! it's not old :D

You only made the joke twice, but the thread was like 5,000 pages long and really fucking annoying :-P

Little_Miss_1565
02-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Ugh, this is sooo stupid... why are you so hung up on semantics, Rageandlov?

I'm a little confused why you would be so adamant about usage that a non-native speaker might not be entirely familiar with, Rageandlov. Like offsrx arguing with me about the difference between a cover and a tribute. Urgh. Regardless, Llamas and others are correct -- In English, or at least American English, a record is specifically a vinyl LP. People still say "record collection" to refer to their entire collection of recorded music, whether it is on CD, cassette, LP, or hard drive, but this is a throwback to the days where people had collections of 12" crates. Musicians refer to an album as their "new record" or their "first record" etc etc regardless of whether or not it actually came out on LP, but again, this is a throwback to the times when this was the only format on which albums were released.

RageAndLov
02-05-2010, 02:37 AM
Originally, the term "record" was used for the first gramophone records (phonograph record in AE). Back then, the gramophone records were made of shellac. Later on, polyvinyl chloride (commonly known as vinyl) was used to make those records. This means that only gramophone records made of shellac are entitled to be called "records, but the the term got adopted to vinyl records at first, then cassettes, then CDs and so on.

The point of the thread is not what is classified as a record and what is not. I just wanted to make sure we talked about the same thing.

Llamas
02-05-2010, 05:30 AM
I'm a little confused why you would be so adamant about usage that a non-native speaker might not be entirely familiar with, Rageandlov..
So you did or didn't actually try to explain the difference to offsrx? I think it's normal to try to explain things when someone is debating with false information. :)

Originally, the term "record" was used for the first gramophone records (phonograph record in AE). Back then, the gramophone records were made of shellac. Later on, polyvinyl chloride (commonly known as vinyl) was used to make those records. This means that only gramophone records made of shellac should be called "records", but the the term got adopted to vinyl records at first, then cassettes, then CDs and so on.

The point of the thread is not what is classified as a record and what is not. I just wanted to make sure we talked about the same thing.

Here you go again, trying to say what words "should" mean in English... every language has a thousand things that you could say "should" mean or be done differently. But you weren't arguing at the beginning that "record" SHOULD only be used for the first ones; you were saying it doesn't mean the same thing as vinyl... it does, but it's a matter of your own anal-ness about what it "should" mean. And the debate doesn't matter at all... it never should've been brought up. It was obvious that everyone was talking about the same thing based on how things were being described.

RageAndLov
02-05-2010, 06:39 AM
Here you go again, trying to say what words "should" mean in English... every language has a thousand things that you could say "should" mean or be done differently. But you weren't arguing at the beginning that "record" SHOULD only be used for the first ones; you were saying it doesn't mean the same thing as vinyl... it does, but it's a matter of your own anal-ness about what it "should" mean. And the debate doesn't matter at all... it never should've been brought up. It was obvious that everyone was talking about the same thing based on how things were being described.

Okay, bad wording. Since you take things so literal, replace the sentence "This means that only gramophone records made of shellac should be called "records"" with "This means that only gramophone records made of shellac are entitled to be called "records"".

Omni
02-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Thank you, RageAndLov and ilovellamas, for completely destroying my wholesome, Spin the Black Circle topic.

Little_Miss_1565
02-05-2010, 08:48 PM
So you did or didn't actually try to explain the difference to offsrx? I think it's normal to try to explain things when someone is debating with false information. :)

Uhh...what? I did try to explain the difference. And he tried to negate it with what he thought it should be. Like Rageandlov is doing here.

Thank you, RageAndLov and ilovellamas, for completely destroying my wholesome, Spin the Black Circle topic.

Indeed. As frustrating as it can be to deal with things such as this on the internets, let's not let it derail conversations about the things we do like. Such as shiny black vinyl records with musics on them.

Harleyquiiinn
02-06-2010, 12:06 AM

Ooooooh :o

So vinyl is linked to old rock to me.

That is mostly because I puchase them on second hand and flea markets. I'm starting to have a little collection... It's basically stuff like Queen, Police, Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Simon & Garfunkel, Pink Floyd...
I always check that they don't have scratches and then I got them for no more than 2 €.

I like vinyls bu not really because of the sound or anything... I mean, it's great I'm sure but my equipment is not so I don't really see any difference from a CD... more round maybe... I just think they're cool.

Omni
02-06-2010, 12:18 AM
I'm trying to be as many new and re-issues of vinyl as I can. I don't really like buying anything second hand, it's just this thing I have. I think I also like collecting them because I don't really know anyone else in their early 20s who does it. Obviously, plenty of people do, but no one I really spend time around.

Llamas
02-06-2010, 02:17 AM
Uhh...what? I did try to explain the difference. And he tried to negate it with what he thought it should be. Like Rageandlov is doing here.
That was exactly my point. You expressed confusion about the fact that I was trying to explain the meanings to him. My point was that it's normal to do so, and I assumed (correctly) that you did the same.

Anyway, it sucks that this whole thing got derailed. Rageandlov, keep your semantics thoughts to yourself and I won't try to explain them :P I really have nothing more to say about records, though. I don't own any, probably never will, but I think they're pretty great.