PDA

View Full Version : what's your name meaning?

Anya82
01-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Mine:

Ana:
comes from Hannah.
From the Hebrew name "Channah" which meant "favour" or "grace".

Cecilia:
Latinate feminine form of the Roman family name "Caecilius", which was derived from Latin caecus, "blind".

so... does my name mean "blind grace"?
hehehe

RXP
01-27-2005, 10:19 AM
Dushyant = Name of a famous king who forgot his wife Shakuntala. Father of Bharata.

wtf forgot his wife?

Revolver-2005?
01-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Justin = Truth and Justice, latin

TheUnholyNightbringer
01-27-2005, 10:23 AM
David = Beloved, from Hebrew
Shaw = A Grove, from Greek

So, Beloved Grove.

Vicky
01-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Vicky - From Victoria, Latin, Means Victory
Hanson - The son of Hans or John, same as Johnson. Bailey derives it from Han, the diminutive of Randall, the son of Randall

Ditol
01-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Dorota:

means gift from God

wheelchairman
01-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Per = Rock, as when Jesus said to the Apostle Peter, 'you are my rock.'
Pedersen = Son of Peter.
Don't know about Deverell or Ulrich.

I fucking hate being rock.

Izie
01-27-2005, 10:44 AM
Ivana = God is good (or something along the lines, I forget)

My last name has no meaning whatsoever, except that at some point, someone in my family was called Miladin (and then it got made into a last name...), which is btw a retarded name.

Aimeht
01-27-2005, 10:47 AM
"Maria" has lots of different meanings. The one I prefer to believe is "the distressed". Hehe!

The Talking Pie
David - It's a Jewish name. I'm God's chosen one.

Tizzalicious
I'm afraid Maartje means nothing :o

And Witteveen is the name of a piece of land somewhere in the north of Holland. Where obviously my ancestors came from :p

Anya82
01-27-2005, 10:48 AM
@ Tizz:

http://www.behindthename.com/php/search.php?terms=maartje&nmd=n&gender=both&operator=or

Anya82
01-27-2005, 10:50 AM
for those who don't know the meaning of your name, check this out:

www.behindthename.com (http://www.behindthename.com)

and for those who speak spanish:

www.tuparada.com/nombres/ (http://www.tuparada.com/nombres/)

Tizzalicious
01-27-2005, 10:51 AM
From the Roman name Martinus, which was derived from Martis, the genitive case of the name of the Roman god MARS. Saint Martin of Tours was a 4th-century bishop who is the patron saint of France. According to legend, he came across a cold beggar in the middle of winter so he ripped his cloak in two and gave half of it to the beggar. Five popes have borne this name. Two other influential bearers were Martin Luther, the theologian who began the Protestant Reformation in the 16th century, and more recently Martin Luther King, the American civil rights leader who fought for racial equality.

But now I still don't know what it means :(

Aimeht
01-27-2005, 10:51 AM
David - It's a Jewish name. I'm God's chosen one.
You really are?! :eek:

;)

Izie
01-27-2005, 10:52 AM
English form of Johannes, which was the Latin form of the Greek name Ioannes, itself derived from the Hebrew name Yochanan meaning "YAHWEH is gracious". This name owes its consistent popularity to two New Testament characters, both highly revered as saints. The first was John the Baptist, the forerunner of Jesus Christ and a victim of beheading by Herod Antipas. The second was the apostle John, also supposedly the author of the fourth Gospel and Revelation. The name has been borne by 23 popes, as well as kings of England, Hungary, Poland, Portugal and France. It was also borne by the poet John Milton and the philosopher John Locke.

Got there through Ivana - female form of Ivan. Ivan - slavic form of John. So there.

JoY
01-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Isabella/Elisabeth. these names look different, but they are & mean the same. I once looked it up in a book, which said something along the lines, that Isabella was some sort of angel sent from God.

Izie
01-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Isabella/Elisabeth. these names look different, but they are & mean the same. I once looked it up in a book, which said something along the lines, that Isabella was some sort of angel sent from God.

Bella is an angel!
*does a dancie*

Ignore me, I'm breandead.

Anya82
01-27-2005, 10:55 AM
I just found that "Cecilia" also means "the little one"
how cute..

so.. i would be "the little blind grace"? or "the little blind full of grace"? :confused:

Mota Boy
01-27-2005, 10:57 AM
My name is not found in that database. Apparently, it means "Born of the Earth".

wheelchairman
01-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Ulrich:

Means "prosperity and power" from Germanic uodal "prosperity" combined with ric "power". This was the name of two German saints. Another famous bearer was Ulrich Zwingli, leader of the Reformation in Switzerland.

Deverell:

Not found.

So, so far I am Rock Prosperity and Power Son of Peter

Kathy
01-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Katheryn..or Katherine: From the Greek name Aikaterine or it could derive from the name of the goddess HECATE.

I just have one name.

Noodles is gay
01-27-2005, 11:06 AM
JENNIFER = white wave, white spirit, white cheeked from Welsh (Cornish form of Gwenhwyfar (see GUINEVERE) - crazy!)

And my surname; OSTROWSKI; apparently:

"Polish and Jewish (Ashkenazic): habitational name for someone from any of many places in Poland and adjacent parts of eastern Europe named Ostrów, named with Polish ostrów ‘island’, ‘water meadow’ (see Ostrow) or a cognate word in a related Slavic language. "

ok, cool :D

the_GoDdEsS
01-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Simona is the female form of Simon and means 'good listener' which is very, very applicable in my case. I'm the local shrink and people frequently cry in my arms. =)

Anya82
01-27-2005, 11:21 AM
i don't know if my name suits me.....
blind.. full of grace.... the little one...

nope.. i can't find the connection.... :(

Camilamazed
01-27-2005, 11:22 AM
CAMILLA
Usage: English, Italian, Ancient Roman, Roman Mythology

Pronounced: ka-MIL-a (English), kah-MEEL-ah (Italian) [key]

Feminine form of CAMILLUS. This was the name of a legendary warrior maiden of the Volscians, as told by Virgil in the 'Aeneid'

Wowwwwwwww :D

Anya82
01-27-2005, 11:32 AM
The second link i posted is pretty cool.. cause it also tells you characteristics of people with that name... and DAMN!! it's true what it says about me! :eek:

Inshane
01-27-2005, 11:40 AM
how nice.In my band Im always called 'the little girl' just because those stupid guys are all over 1. 80. but why, does my name seriously has the meaning of 'little girl'. its cruel.

NINA (1)
Usage: Russian, English, German, French
Pronounced: NEE-na [key]
Short form of names that end in nina. This name also coincides with the Spanish word niña meaning "little girl".
NINA (2)
Usage: Near Eastern Mythology
Means "enclosure of fish" in Babylonian. This was the name of a Babylonian fertility goddess, the patron goddess of the city of Nineveh.
NINA (3)
Usage: Native American
Means "fire" in Quechua.

Camilamazed
01-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Significado:
La que está presente en Dios.
De origen latino.

Caracteristicas:
Es independiente, decidida y
tiene mucha seguridad en todo lo que hace.
Le gusta estar rodeada de sus afectos,
es cariñosa y amable.

Meaning:A person that is close to God.A Latin name.

About:An independent and determined person.Is always sure about everything she does.Likes to be with the ones she loves.A lovely and full of affection person.

Ok I liked this meaning to. But I have to admit i'm not a determined person. :rolleyes:

Anya82
01-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Ana
"Full of grace"

Characteristics:
Is sensitive, affectionate and sociable.
She's creative in everything she does and needs to be surrounded by the her loved ones who are very important for her.
She's trusty and a very good friend.

Love:
She is very idealistic and gives the best of herself to her couple.

Cecilia
"the little one"

Characteristics:
She's communicative, sociable and pleasant in her deal with the others.
Always seeks for much stability in the emotional life as in the labor one.

Love:
Is an idealist, she needs to find a true love to feel complete.

damn.. yeap.. that's me...

Punky Dudess
01-27-2005, 01:24 PM
Sofia- holy wisdom (woohoo!)

Bladek- dunno, its a polish surname + i'm from england! :D

«_ºßäߥ_Ðëvilº_»
01-27-2005, 01:29 PM
sarah - princess
elizabeth - ???

Anya82
01-27-2005, 01:35 PM
@ Baby Devil.

Sarah
Means "lady" or "princess" in Hebrew

Elizabeth
From Elisabet, the Greek form of the Hebrew name Elisheba meaning "my God is an oath" or perhaps "my God is abundance".

there you go, sis

«_ºßäߥ_Ðëvilº_»
01-27-2005, 01:36 PM
@ Baby Devil.

Sarah
Means "lady" or "princess" in Hebrew

Elizabeth
From Elisabet, the Greek form of the Hebrew name Elisheba meaning "my God is an oath" or perhaps "my God is abundance".

there you go, sis

Thank you big sis..... :D

Tired_Of_You
01-27-2005, 01:46 PM
Valérie - means 'to be strong'
Proulx - not sure about it, there's only a website where it was written it means brave, couragous...the others don't seem to have my name. =(

original_prankster
01-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Tobias - 'Good man' in hebrew.

wliethof
01-27-2005, 02:04 PM
that website is poo though!

it says willem is derived from william, which is derived from wilhelm. but if i enter my real name (wilhelmus) it doesnt recognise it!

anyways:

Wilhelm, Pim, Wiel, Wil, Wilhelmus, Willem, Willy, Wim, Wilhelm (German.), Bill (English), William (English), Guillaume (French.), Guglielmo (Italian); Helma, Wil, Wilhelmina, Willemijn, Willie, Wilma, Guillaumette (French)

From the Germanic name Wilhelm, which was composed of the elements wil "will, desire" and helm "helmet, protection". Possibly means protector with strong will.

«_ºßäߥ_Ðëvilº_»
01-27-2005, 02:14 PM
that website is poo though!

it says willem is derived from william, which is derived from wilhelm. but if i enter my real name (wilhelmus) it doesnt recognise it!

anyways:

Wilhelm, Pim, Wiel, Wil, Wilhelmus, Willem, Willy, Wim, Wilhelm (German.), Bill (English), William (English), Guillaume (French.), Guglielmo (Italian); Helma, Wil, Wilhelmina, Willemijn, Willie, Wilma, Guillaumette (French)

From the Germanic name Wilhelm, which was composed of the elements wil "will, desire" and helm "helmet, protection". Possibly means protector with strong will.

Wilhelmus? Cool...Very different, i like it. :D

wliethof
01-27-2005, 02:21 PM
My name is in the national anthem. I have the same name as the kings.

It's pretty lame though

Moose
01-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Mine:

Ana:
comes from Hannah.
From the Hebrew name "Channah" which meant "favour" or "grace".

Cecilia:
Latinate feminine form of the Roman family name "Caecilius", which was derived from Latin caecus, "blind".

so... does my name mean "blind grace"?
hehehe

I'm American, honey. Our names don't mean shit.*

*Pulp Fiction

Inuyasha
01-27-2005, 02:48 PM
Gabriela:

Portuguese, Polish and Romanian feminine form of GABRIEL
Gabriel:From the Hebrew name Gabriyel which meant "strong man of God". Gabriel is one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition. He appears in both the Old Testament and the New Testament, where he serves as the announcer of the births of John to Zechariah and Jesus to Mary. According to Islamic tradition he was the angel who dictated the Koran to Muhammad.

ninth
01-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Sean - Faggot that needs to get beat up for being too arrogant/beautiful

ThrashedThrasher
01-28-2005, 06:53 PM
Christina Anne (My birthcertificate is fucked and says that my first name is the two put together but it really is two seperate names..)

CHRISTINA
Usage: English, German

Feminine form of CHRISTIAN. This was the name of a Swedish queen of the 17th century who was interested in the arts and philosophy. She gave up her crown to become a Roman Catholic.

ANNE
Usage: French, English, German, Scandinavian, Finnish, Basque

French form of HANNAH. This is the name traditionally assigned to the mother of the Virgin Mary, though she is not mentioned in the Bible. The name was borne by a 17th-century English queen and also by the second wife of Henry VIII, Anne Boleyn (the mother of Queen Elizabeth I), who was eventually beheaded in the Tower of London. This is also the name of the heroine in 'Anne of Green Gables' by Canadian author L. M. Montgomery.

SkunkIt
01-28-2005, 07:00 PM
SONIA
Usage: English, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian
Pronounced: SON-ya, SAWN-ya
Origin: Russian
Meaning: wisdom

Naz
01-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Natalie - 'birthday of the lord' - so it pretty much means Christmas, and I was born near Christmas too.

Faded Soul
01-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Valérie - means 'to be strong'
Proulx - not sure about it, there's only a website where it was written it means brave, couragous...the others don't seem to have my name. =(

dude, you have the same last name as the president of my company! :eek:

nitropenguin!
01-28-2005, 08:34 PM
What an uncalled for coincidence! =O

ThatOneGuy123
01-28-2005, 10:43 PM
Quick Somebody Tell Me What Jeremy Means!

Sunny
01-28-2005, 10:53 PM
magdalena - one who is elevated, a high tower (WTF?)
maria - bitter

um.. fan-fucking-tastic?

RXP
01-29-2005, 02:17 AM
hahahah wtf name meaning is that.

JoY
01-29-2005, 06:14 AM
Bella is an angel!
*does a dancie*

Ignore me, I'm breandead.
*giggle* pretty cute, eh?

though I've proven myself over the years as not too much of a saint. *grin*

Tijs
01-29-2005, 06:42 AM
for those who don't know the meaning of your name, check this out:

www.behindthename.com (http://www.behindthename.com)

and for those who speak spanish:

www.tuparada.com/nombres/ (http://www.tuparada.com/nombres/)
Meh... my name isn't in either one of those... I'm meaningless.

Vicky
01-29-2005, 06:47 AM
i dunno if you can.. but maybe you could translate your name to english and just say it means that? i dunno :p

Tijs
01-29-2005, 06:49 AM
Uhm.. I don't think there's an english version of my name... Matheus?
Ah there we go, I read a while ago my name is originally from Matheus, the thing says Matthew -->

MATTHEW
Usage: English, Biblical
Pronounced: MATH-yoo [key]
Extra Info: Popularity, Related Names, Namesakes, Websites
Options: Contribute Information
English form of Matthaios, which was a Greek form of the Hebrew name Mattithyahu which meant "gift of YAHWEH". Saint Matthew, also called Levi, was one of the twelve apostles (a tax collector). He was supposedly the author of the first Gospel in the New Testament.

So I'm can get your taxes then?

intothevalleyofdeath
01-29-2005, 06:51 AM
i dont know what the hell my name means...

Lehmakett
01-29-2005, 10:58 AM
Mine is cowchain :D

Pinocchio
01-29-2005, 11:01 AM
mine means "home ruler".... heh heh heh... yeah right..
Henry.
Christian mean just "Christian"

Sarallica
01-29-2005, 11:04 AM
SARAH

Usage: English, French, German, Jewish, Biblical
Pronounced: SER-a

Means "lady" or "princess" in Hebrew. This was the name of the wife of Abraham in the Old Testament. She became the mother of Isaac at the age of 90. Her name was originally Sarai, but God changed it (see Genesis 17:15).

Ick. :P

zookie85
08-21-2010, 09:29 AM
Maren

My name means "living at the sea"

~|Vredina|~
08-21-2010, 09:33 AM
ROSE
Usage: English, French
Originally a Norman form of a Germanic name. It was introduced to England by the Normans in the forms Roese or Rohese. From an early date it was associated with the word for the fragrant flower rose (derived from Latin rosa). When the name was revived in the 19th century, it was probably with the flower in mind.

mynamewastaken
08-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Maren

My name means "living at the sea"

jeez... and they yell at me for bumping old threads...
anywayz... as long as it's here...

mine is abby.... it means "father's joy" HAHA! as if.......

Sofinch
08-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Sophia (name)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sophia is a female name derived from σοφία, the Greek word for "Wisdom." Sophie is from the French form.

my name is Sofie

Alison
08-22-2010, 01:59 PM
My name is a medieval Scottish or German name meaning 'noble' or 'truth'.

yarock
08-23-2010, 03:59 AM
jeez... and they yell at me for bumping old threads...
anywayz... as long as it's here...

mine is abby.... it means "father's joy" HAHA! as if.......

Abigail [אֲבִיגָיִל ('Avigayil)] seems to be meaning 'my father is joy'.

mynamewastaken
08-23-2010, 06:20 AM
Abigail [אֲבִיגָיִל ('Avigayil)] seems to be meaning 'my father is joy'.

no, techincally my name is abbygayl. not abigail. not abbygayle. and if you can't say it right then i do not allow it to be said at all. most ppl just settle for abby.

Lizardus
08-23-2010, 06:43 AM
I am Lord Lizardus, calling all lizards.

yarock
08-23-2010, 08:03 AM
no, techincally my name is abbygayl. not abigail. not abbygayle. and if you can't say it right then i do not allow it to be said at all. most ppl just settle for abby.

I didn't know that but I don't think that it would make any difference.

Lizardus
08-23-2010, 08:05 AM
My name is a medieval Scottish or German name meaning 'noble' or 'truth'.

I thought it meant crazy inebriated woman.

Bejka
08-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Beáta - blessed od happy
Balčiková - Balchik is a place in Bulgary :D It means "white clay" or something

Lizardus
08-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Per = Rock, as when Jesus said to the Apostle Peter, 'you are my rock.'
Pedersen = Son of Peter.
Don't know about Deverell or Ulrich.

I fucking hate being rock.

Just roll with it.

Alison
08-23-2010, 11:33 AM
I thought it meant crazy inebriated woman.

Well, yeah, that too:p

Lord Phidias
08-23-2010, 12:37 PM
I think Víctor (yes, with accent) speaks for itself... but meh, I'm bored:

VICTOR
Usage: English, French, Portuguese, Romanian, Late Roman

Pronounced: VIK-tər (English), veek-TOR (French) [key]
Roman name meaning "victor" in Latin. It was common among early Christians, and was borne by several early saints and three popes. It was rare as an English name during the Middle Ages, but it was revived in the 19th century. Victor is a masculine given name that has been used for centuries in numerous cultures and parts of the world. Of Latin origin, victor means "(one who) conquers" and may also be spelled Viktor, Vítor or Víctor.

Victor may refer to:

* Asturian: Vítor * Basque: Iker * Belarusian: Віктар (Viktar)
* Bulgarian: Виктор (Viktor) * Chinese: 维克托 * Dutch: Viktor, Victor
* English: Victor * Finnish: Vihtori, Viktor * French: Victor
* Galician: Vítor, Vitorio * German: Viktor, Victor * Hebrew: אביגדור (Avigdor, a homophone[1])
* Hungarian: Viktor * Irish: Buadhach * Italian: Vittore, Vittorio
* Korean: 빅토르, 빅터 * Lithuanian: Viktoras * Persian: Pirooz/Firooz
* Polish: Wiktor * Portuguese: Vítor or Victor * Romanian: Victor
* Russian: Виктор (Viktor) * Serbian: Viktor * Slovak: Viktor
* Spanish: Víctor * Swedish: Victor, Viktor * Turkish: Zafer
* Ukrainian: Віктор (Viktor) * Welsh: Gwythyr

MANUEL
Usage: Spanish, Portuguese, German, Romanian, English, Italian, Late Greek (Latinized)
Other Scripts: Μανουηλ (Ancient Greek)

Pronounced: mah-NWEL (Spanish), mahn-oo-EL (Portuguese), MAHN-oo-el (German) [key]
Manuel is a variation of Immanuel, a Hebrew given name, from the Spanish and Portuguese, also short for Emmanuel. Manny is an English derivative. Spanish and Portuguese form of EMMANUEL. In the spelling Μανουηλ (Manouel) it was also used in the Byzantine empire, notably by two emperors. It is possible this form of the name was transmitted to Spain and Portugal from Byzantium, since there were connections between the royal families (king Ferdinand III of Castile married Elisabeth of Hohenstaufen, who had Byzantine roots, and had a son named Manuel). The name has been used in Iberia since at least the 13th century and was borne by two kings of Portugal.

Immanuel or Emmanuel or Imanu'el (Hebrew עִמָּנוּאֵל "God [is] with us" consists of two Hebrew words: אֵל (’El, meaning 'God') and עִמָּנוּ (ʻImmānū, meaning 'with us'); Standard Hebrew ʻImmanuʼel, Tiberian Hebrew ʻImmānûʼēl). It is a theophoric name used in the Bible in Isaiah 7:14 and Isaiah 8:8. It appears once in the Christian New Testament: in Matthew's quotation of Isaiah 7:14.

There...

T-6005
08-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Thibault is a newer form of the name Theobald, which is made up of 'Theo' which means 'people,' and 'bald,' which meant 'bold'.

calichix
08-26-2010, 02:37 PM
laura, like a laurel tree. the leaves of which were used to crown roman victors. so. victorious.

star, a celestial body.

МЫША
08-28-2010, 02:12 AM
YELENA

Russian form of HELEN
Other Scripts: Елена (Russian)

English form of the Greek ‘Ελενη (Helene), probably from Greek ‘ελενη (helene) "torch" or "corposant", or possibly related to σεληνη (selene) "moon". In Greek mythology Helen was the daughter of Zeus and Leda, whose kidnapping by Paris was the cause of the Trojan War. The name was also borne by the 4th-century Saint Helena, mother of the Roman emperor Constantine, who supposedly found the True Cross during a trip to Jerusalem.

holland25
08-28-2010, 03:44 AM
Matúš, Matthew in English is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Matthew is "gift of the Lord". Biblical: the name of one of the twelve apostles, who wrote the first Gospel account of the life of Jesus. The alternate spelling Mathew is an English surname variant spelling. Mateo is a Spanish form; Matteo is Italian; Mateus is Portuguese. Mathieu and Matthieu are French forms.

Sofinch
08-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Matúš, Matthew in English is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Matthew is "gift of the Lord". Biblical: the name of one of the twelve apostles, who wrote the first Gospel account of the life of Jesus. The alternate spelling Mathew is an English surname variant spelling. Mateo is a Spanish form; Matteo is Italian; Mateus is Portuguese. Mathieu and Matthieu are French forms.

or Matthias in Dutch

DennisD
09-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Dennis means Wild and Frenzied and it is of Greek and English origins!

WebDudette
09-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Cody, cushion or cotton.

Harleyquiiinn
09-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Well, I really don't know where to post that and I don't want to make a thread for it but I just want to point out that someone who apparently was born today has a very cool username.

Outerspaceman21
09-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Brian - an Old Celtic word meaning "high" or "noble"

Dulce Maria
11-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Dulce means "sweet" in Spanish. (I'm no angel) :)

Maria means "rebel" in English. (I'm no devil) :(

I wish my name had a meaning of peace and not war. :confused:

Tiny Vessels
11-13-2013, 06:27 AM
My name means of Mars the god of war, warlike.