PDA

View Full Version : Did you say conspiracy ?

Harleyquiiinn
02-11-2010, 07:39 AM
I learnt about that just a month ago.

The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement.

This agreement is negociated between a few "powerful countries" to try to prevent more counterfeiting and piracy... funny how China is not part of the negociations...

Anyway, what is REALLY scary about this is that these guys have been meeting regularly for 2 years and nobody knew untill recently, thanks to Wikileaks.

Why do they do this in secret ?

Well, because this treaty could possibly break a few fundamental liberties, such as privacy, presumption of innocence and separation of powers (which is not a liberty per se but largely contributes).

I let you read more about it if you are interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement

Now, I am all in favor of artists with a fair remuneration and all...

That said, piracy is bad but it's not a crime. Therefore, I admit that a pirat shoud be judge, sentenced to a fine or something but not treated like a terrorist... and that is exactly what this treaty wants to do, treats you like a terrorist. I don't usually like this comparison but welcome in 1984...

And for what ? economical interests.

Also, don't you think that it is absolutely crazy that at a time where you can find anything on the internet, this took such a long time to get out ?
Medias here started to talk about it a WEEK AGO. With a short article which didn't explain anything.

Jesus
02-11-2010, 02:41 PM
The chance that democratic countries are going to implement measures that will fine the majority of their population or that put them behind bars for illegally downloading copyrighted material is as likely as them adopting death panels. So, non existing. Sure some people might get a fine and then the whole thing gets bad press and then you never hear about it again.

This whole thing is so blown out of proportion that I'll expect it to be fully adressed in Zeitgeist III (or does that one already exist?).

Anyway the IP entertainment sector is so small in most countries, therefore if the agreement would be about something then it sure isn't about that. That just gets the most attention because of bias in preferences of the people that are blowing this out proportion.

And it's nice to see the UAE, Morocco and Jordan being regarded as "powerful countries. Heil Queen Milf Rania.

onerankseo
02-23-2010, 03:40 AM
That is some scary stuff! Do you have any other crazy info like that or a source where you like to find info on potential conspiracies?

DMelges
02-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Like someone in another thread said once, it's not the downloader who's at fault, it's the uploader.