PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here (who can sing) willing to help me?

mspunk13
02-18-2010, 06:49 AM
I always have a vision for my songs, I record drums, guitars, mix everything. But then I come to a point when I have to record vocals. I just can't. My singing can only compare to earrape.

If anyone around here would like to help me and record the vocal track for my song, it would be very cool. Thank you.

Llamas
02-18-2010, 10:51 AM
I think you asked me about it before - I'd be glad to do it :) Send me the file, and give me an idea of what kinda direction you want it taken in.

ad8
02-18-2010, 11:31 AM
I could try it, too. I think you could try it a little longer, though. I also hate my voice on my earlier recordings, but after a while I reached a point when I was actually comfortable with singing.

mspunk13
02-18-2010, 11:58 AM
I think you asked me about it before - I'd be glad to do it :) Send me the file, and give me an idea of what kinda direction you want it taken in.
Haha I have completely forgotten about that! Thanks!

ad8, thanks a lot, too!

I still have some mixing left to do but I will post the link here in a couple of hours. You'll see if you like the song even a bit :) Because I don't want to force anyone to do this, music has to be fun.

mspunk13
02-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Ok, here come the links (one version is with vocals - BEWARE - pathetic lyrics, even more pathetic singing; the other one is without vocals). Bridge turned out kinda short but I don't have the time to re-record.

I'm beating myself up for using GarageBand once again. It's the most stupid piece of software EVER. Apple wanted to make it simple and beautiful - I use a lot of VST plugins, which are huge memory hogs - and GarageBand tries to play everything immediately, even when rendering (WTF!? I guess so that you don't have to wait for it to load), that's why you will hear guitar tracks turning off and back on, which sounds like shit. I will have to fix that.

http://www.mediafire.com/?m14onzmz1rd
http://www.mediafire.com/?zztjnnqt0z2

Of course, you can change everything about the vocals. They didn't even come out the way I wanted them to come out, I wanted the first 2 verse parts to have the same melody; then there's this pre-chorus part (with fast palm-muted picking) and then the chorus... which came out like total crap. I didn't even want that melody. Wait, it has NO melody. I wanted it to sound more like umm... let's say All I want. Once again, the bridge is kinda lame.

EDIT: Fuck GarageBand. I swear, the songs are like a zillion times quieter after rendering! :mad::confused::eek:

Homer
02-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Send me the lyrics and I'll get 'em done for you.

Check out my band's Myspace to get an idea of how I sing:
www.myspace.com/againstbelief

Also, are those real drums or a program?

Llamas
02-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Ok, here come the links (one version is with vocals - BEWARE - pathetic lyrics, even more pathetic singing; the other one is without vocals). Bridge turned out kinda short but I don't have the time to re-record.

I'm beating myself up for using GarageBand once again. It's the most stupid piece of software EVER. Apple wanted to make it simple and beautiful - I use a lot of VST plugins, which are huge memory hogs - and GarageBand tries to play everything immediately, even when rendering (WTF!? I guess so that you don't have to wait for it to load), that's why you will hear guitar tracks turning off and back on, which sounds like shit. I will have to fix that.

http://www.mediafire.com/?m14onzmz1rd
http://www.mediafire.com/?zztjnnqt0z2

Of course, you can change everything about the vocals. They didn't even come out the way I wanted them to come out, I wanted the first 2 verse parts to have the same melody; then there's this pre-chorus part (with fast palm-muted picking) and then the chorus... which came out like total crap. I didn't even want that melody. Wait, it has NO melody. I wanted it to sound more like umm... let's say All I want. Once again, the bridge is kinda lame.

EDIT: Fuck GarageBand. I swear, the songs are like a zillion times quieter after rendering!

Haha, you forgot :) I didn't... I was wondering where you went! I'll do it for ya this weekend. :) And don't be mad, it can all be worked out!

mspunk13
02-19-2010, 01:22 AM
Send me the lyrics and I'll get 'em done for you.

Check out my band's Myspace to get an idea of how I sing:
www.myspace.com/againstbelief (http://www.myspace.com/againstbelief)

Also, are those real drums or a program?

Wow... awesome man. Love the songs and the vocals.
And nope, these aren't real drums. I use Superior Drummer 2. I quit using real drums because I had to borrow mics every time I wanted to record them. And making a mistake right at the end of song and having to re-record isn't my idea of fun either so I just said 'oh fuck it' and started using Superior Drummer.

Now I have a problem I never thought I would experience: there are 3 people wanting to sing this... ilovellamas was the first but it's not like I'm Dexter Holland making a contest - who will appear on our next album!? I know that not everybody has to like my songs, or lyrics, or feel comfortable singing them, or maybe the song is too high or too low for you... whatever. We have to work it out somehow. But I don't know how. Any ideas?

And please give me feedback on my songs. The song itself, the mixing, the lyrics... just everything. You don't have to be nice at all, I can take criticism; positive criticism is always a good thing :) I've already learned a lot from it. Really, I'm not that kind of person who would feel offended or something.

randman21
02-19-2010, 02:40 AM
The song is pretty cool, man. Good energy, you keep it interesting all the way through, the singing isn't bad at all. Mixing is good, although the snare seems to clip heavily in some parts. Can't speak about the lyrics, 'cause I can't hear them, but I'd definitely like to hear more of your songs. ;)

mspunk13
02-19-2010, 02:50 AM
Thanks a lot. I can fix the snare easily. I actually noticed the very same thing ;) I mixed the vocals low on purpose... so that noone can really hear them :rolleyes: anyway. my accent isn't the best either.

Smash punker
02-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Well man your song is kinda cool one ;) Sounds like Meaning of life to me :D

mspunk13
02-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Thanks!
The Offspring have a big influence on my songs, although I definitely don't want to copy anything :)

ad8
02-19-2010, 08:23 AM
Randy is right, the song rocks and the vocals are not as bad as you announced them to be. Anyway, if Homer and Llamas want to do this, I'd be fine with them doing this. Although I think 3 different versions of this one song would be interesting, too;)

Edit: Mixing is good, even though the guitars could be a tad louder.

dff_punk
02-19-2010, 08:41 AM
I like your song very much dude. And your vocals are not that bad, do not underestimate yourself :p

Yeah, but that is pretty much what everyone said already.

mspunk13
02-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Randy is right, the song rocks and the vocals are not as bad as you announced them to be. Anyway, if Homer and Llamas want to do this, I'd be fine with them doing this. Although I think 3 different versions of this one song would be interesting, too;)

Edit: Mixing is good, even though the guitars could be a tad louder.
Thanks. I will try to make them louder (I know they should be louder, but I'm having problems with GarageBand)

I like your song very much dude. And your vocals are not that bad, do not underestimate yourself :p

Yeah, but that is pretty much what everyone said already.

Still, my vocals are only 'not that bad', I don't like my vocals at all to be honest ;)

mspunk13
02-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Sorry for double-posting but I'm not sure if editing my post would bump the thread.

I decided to post the lyrics. Feel free to change them. Also, I'm pretty sure the phrase 'blur away' does not exist, but you could use 'fade away instead'. Please don't laugh at me, I think the lyrics came out pretty childish, with a lot of lame, cheesy parts:

They never seem to understand
What's inside cannot be taken away
Expectations forgotten? Not even a bit
Except the ones you managed to meet

And you feel sore and rejected
Shattered hopes, not what you expected
The chance once taken away
Is never gonna be the same

But I won't care 'bout the hatred
Pouring out of every word you say
It won't be me left behind
It will be you who will

Fade away, fade away
Fade away, fade away

Some day you will realize (umm I use 'some day' way too often lol. maybe 'You'll come to a point you'll realize will work)
I'm not the one who emphasized
I won't let my goals slip through my fingers
You'll stay here, your delusion lingers

The foundaments are way too strong
Don't think noone can see in a throng
Some day you'll come out looking for more (some day once again)
Just to realize there's no back door

It's not me digging my own grave
Guess who's next to fall into dismay
It won't be me left behind
It will be you who will

Fade away, fade away
Fade away, fade away

Some day my efforts won't go in vein
I believe some day you will fade away <--- I don't like that part

Yup. This is pretty much everything.

Homer
02-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Ok, so I spent the day recording the vocals for the song! I only changed some of the lyrics slightly, just to make them flow better. I also changed some of the melodies to make them work for me as well.

Here's the rough result:
http://servercrashers.com/music/Fade%20Away%20Rough.mp3

I didn't spend any time on compression or anything. So, if you want it to really sound great, I'll either have to send you my tracks, or send me the other tracks separately.

Thoughts?

ad8
02-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Ok, so I spent the day recording the vocals for the song! I only changed some of the lyrics slightly, just to make them flow better. I also changed some of the melodies to make them work for me as well.

Here's the rough result:

I didn't spend any time on compression or anything. So, if you want it to really sound great, I'll either have to send you my tracks, or send me the other tracks separately.

Thoughts?
Awesome. I think I don't need to do anything anymore:D

On a serious note: Mspunk, do you still want me to sing it?

mspunk13
02-20-2010, 02:11 AM

Here's the rough result:

Thoughts?
Wow I don't know what to say man! Thanks!!! I especially love the parts when you sing higher :) So aggressive!

To be honest, I don't know much about compressing vocals, but GarageBand already has some presets, so I will use them and maybe tweak them a little bit, to my own taste :) Anyway, sending you all the tracks would cause you a lot of work. I'm pretty sure I will manage to mix everything on my own.

Awesome. I think I don't need to do anything anymore:D

On a serious note: Mspunk, do you still want me to sing it?
Ya I think Homer's work will be enough. Thanks a lot for asking, though!!!

Llamas
02-20-2010, 03:39 AM
Ya I think Homer's work will be enough. Thanks a lot for asking, though!!!

:( :( We talked about this months ago! And I replied first. :( :(

mspunk13
02-20-2010, 03:54 AM
We talked about this months ago! And I replied first.

Now I have a problem I never thought I would experience: there are 3 people wanting to sing this... ilovellamas was the first but it's not like I'm Dexter Holland making a contest - who will appear on our next album!? I know that not everybody has to like my songs, or lyrics, or feel comfortable singing them, or maybe the song is too high or too low for you... whatever. We have to work it out somehow. But I don't know how. Any ideas?

Shit... I'm so sorry. Really. I feel extremely stupid now. I acted like a dick, so please forgive me :(
And to be honest, I treated this whole thing more like... um... begging for pity. That's because I have a 'friend' and I often help him with hard, fast guitar solos and I've been asking him for over 6 (!) months to record vocals for me (for another song) because he's a good singer and he still hasn't done it. So I thought that here, I'd be the pain in the ass once again, I had no idea anybody would actually want to do this, not just take pity on me. Anyway, there are more songs coming, or if you want to sing this one, you still can. I mean... holy shit. Thank you guys. You're awesome. You make me feel like at home here :)

Llamas
02-20-2010, 04:24 AM
Shit... I'm so sorry. Really. I feel extremely stupid now. I acted like a dick, so please forgive me :(
And to be honest, I treated this whole thing more like... um... begging for pity. That's because I have a 'friend' and I often help him with hard, fast guitar solos and I've been asking him for over 6 (!) months to record vocals for me (for another song) because he's a good singer and he still hasn't done it. So I thought that here, I'd be the pain in the ass once again, I had no idea anybody would actually want to do this, not just take pity on me. Anyway, there are more songs coming, or if you want to sing this one, you still can. I mean... holy shit. Thank you guys. You're awesome. You make me feel like at home here :)

Hmm... I see. It's just that Homer has a band he gets to sing with all the time... and I was really excited to finally be able to be part of some music for the first time in like 8 months, because I have no access to any musical instruments. Actually, it was kinda mean of Homer to take over like that on me :( But when we talked about it the first time, I had asked if anyone had some music they wanted me to sing vocals on cause I can't record any music lately, and you responded... oh well, whatever...

mspunk13
02-20-2010, 04:35 AM
Damn I had no idea... I'm really sorry :( I was a dick but my next song will be ready in March. You'll definitely be the lead singer :)

Llamas
02-20-2010, 04:41 AM
Sorry to be all whiny about it... I was actually really, really looking forward to singing a bit, so this came as a pretty big letdown for me. But you didn't know, so it's alright. I'll look forward to singing for the next song. :)

Homer
02-20-2010, 06:59 AM
You know, you can still do it.

Llamas
02-20-2010, 07:15 AM
There would be zero point; he already has a finished version.

ad8
02-20-2010, 07:43 AM
I actually agree with Homer. Two awesome versions of one song are more awesome than one, aren't they?;) And technically, Homer's version is a cover, too.

mspunk13
02-20-2010, 08:01 AM
I agree with Homer and ad8, too.

It's all about having fun anyway :)