PDA

View Full Version : Modern rappers and pop stars are really getting on my nerves.

mspunk13
02-24-2010, 05:46 PM
It's not even about the crappy-sounding synths I hate.

It's not even about the fact that they lost the ability to create songs on their own - 'X feat. Y' co-ops seem to be popular nowadays.

It's not even about the image they are trying to create. Lady Gaga, or Ke$ha. They look ridiculous. But they have to gain attention somehow, I guess.

It's about the 'message' contained in their songs. I just realized I don't have anything against Avril Lavigne or even Britney Spears. I hate their music but they do no harm. What are today's songs about? It's either 'oh yeah bitchez Im so kewl cuz I got money yea yea fuck yea money ftw money money fuck poor ppl they should die poor ppl r stoopid' or 'fuck yeah tonite we gunna party hard cuz only losers dont get drunk every nite and i aint even comin back home tonite cuz im gunna make out wit ten different guyz'

I'm terrified. Too many young people listen to such music.

randman21
02-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Just yesterday I proclaimed that this is the worst period in pop music history. And when I say pop, I'm specifically talking about pop pop, not hard rock that's on the mainstream charts. I've always listened to pop, but just the difference between 2008 and now is very weird to me. Maybe I'll get into it a little later, but that's all I have to say right now.

nieh
02-24-2010, 06:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WccfbPQNMbg

WebDudette
02-24-2010, 06:05 PM
'fuck yeah tonite we gunna party hard cuz only losers dont get drunk every nite and i aint even comin back home tonite cuz im gunna make out wit ten different guyz'

Actually, this is what the last like 4 Britney songs I have heard are about.

mspunk13
02-24-2010, 06:06 PM
That's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OKlzm6BQ8A) what I'm talking about. I can't believe how ridiculous the lyrics are.

EDIT:
Actually, this is what the last like 4 Britney songs I have heard are about.

I was talking about 'classic' Britney songs. Like Hit me baby one more time.

WebDudette
02-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Yeah, it annoys me too. If you are interested in rap and pop you have to learn to ignore it, or just find better artists.

Alison
02-24-2010, 06:13 PM
what eould you o if ypur son was at hom crying all alone on the bedorook fllor cos hes ungy and the only way to fieed him is to sleep th a man for amlittle bit of money cos....

REMEBET YATS SONG!!!

mspunk13
02-24-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm not interested in rap at all. But everbody has the right to listen to whatever they want to. I just think that such lyrics distort the awareness of important values in real life.

mspunk13
02-24-2010, 06:18 PM
what eould you o if ypur son was at hom crying all alone on the bedorook fllor cos hes ungy and the only way to fieed him is to sleep th a man for amlittle bit of money cos....

REMEBET YATS SONG!!!
Haha City High :D

What would I do if my son was at home crying all alone on the bedroom floor because he's hungry and the only way to feed him is to sleep with a man for a little bit of money?

To be honest, I don't even want to know.

coke_a_holic
Hey, let's not hate on Lady Gaga. She is more punk than any other popular band making music today. Like, do you see the shit she does? And yet she's still popular with people despite it? It doesn't make any sense! She's not a trendy asshole, she does what she wants, does what she feels like.

Oh, but everyone else is strictly terrible. Fair enough.

AD90
Making the assumption that people ONLY listen to this music is because of the lyrical content is pretty ignorant.

Do remember how much peer pressure influences people's decisions. And how people will purposefully change just to fit in with a certain clique. This music IS mainstream & popular.

Alison
02-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Haha City High :D

What would I do if my son was at home crying all alone on the bedroom floor because he's hungry and the only way to feed him is to sleep with a man for a little bit of money?

To be honest, I don't even want to know.

yYAY Someonw got it its ben in my head all day!!! hahah that was like THE SONG when iwas 12. hahahaha.

JohnnyNemesis
02-24-2010, 07:02 PM
What a bunch of fucking idiots.

randman21
02-24-2010, 07:23 PM
That's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OKlzm6BQ8A) what I'm talking about. I can't believe how ridiculous the lyrics are.

This is actually the song that was playing when I made my declaration yesterday. :P

yYAY Someonw got it its ben in my head all day!!! hahah that was like THE SONG when iwas 12. hahahaha.
Haha! I completely forgot about that one. I knew I'd heard it before. 'Twas 2001.

Hey, let's not hate on Lady Gaga. She is more punk than any other popular band making music today. Like, do you see the shit she does? And yet she's still popular with people despite it? It doesn't make any sense! She's not a trendy asshole, she does what she wants, does what she feels like.

Yep. I want to like her music more than I actually do. I hate her antics, but she's a hell of a singer and pianist. The music I've heard of hers is vapid and devoid of actual content (minus Paparazzi), though admittedly I haven't heard much.

Making the assumption that people ONLY listen to this music is because of the lyrical content is pretty ignorant.

Do remember how much peer pressure influences people's decisions. And how people will purposefully change just to fit in with a certain clique. This music IS mainstream & popular.
I don't understand the point you're trying to make. I think mspunk is just playing the crotchety old man like I often do. No matter how you come to know a song, if you know it, you know the lyrics. The message is what I have a problem with.

Harleyquiiinn
02-24-2010, 11:31 PM
I couldn't agree with you because I don't listen to the radio and I don't know most of the songs...

But I had the same reflexion about lyrics and message that you don't only find in music but also on TV shows AND on the Internet. SOmehow, to be happy in this world, as you said, you need to be a millionaire, get drunk every night and have sex every minute.

I think it's a problem of society and maintstream music is returning to the basics: Music must make you happy.

I'll give example of what I know, which is mainly french music. During the 70s 80s, life was pretty cool. Sexual liberation, good job opportunities and all. As a result, you had a lot of political artists, original artists that became mainstream because people had time for this. And I don't mean "time" as 5 minutes, I mean "brain time". People could think and wanted to hear about it.

Now the 00s was a hell of a tough decade that ended with a huge crisis damaging approximatively everything. People are losing their jobs, their house, you hear one dramatic thing everyday and eventhough it doesn't happen to you directly, you are worried. You don't want to hear a song about workers losing their jobs, you don't want to see Dido having her house destroyed, you don't want to listen to Working Class Hero, because in your version, he doesn't even have a job, a tv and/or sex to make life bearable and you especially don't want to listen to Phil Collins telling you how lucky you are. You don't want to hear/see about this because well... this might be real, this could happen to you, this could be your last day in paradise.

You want to be reinsured, you want to know that for some people, life can be full of alcohol, sex and money because that is what you used to expect from life. They used to be symbols of an achieved life.

I am sure that if you made graphics of how shitty the world was throughout history and how shitty the music was, you would have some surprises.

Al Coholic
02-25-2010, 12:48 AM

REMEBET YATS SONG!!!

I always thought it was weird that that song was marketed to preteens and used in feel good movies. Nice beat/singing but really, the lyrics are way off.

PAC90
02-25-2010, 05:05 AM
lady gaga is still catchy as hell though

if tik tok had better lyrics it would be enjoyable too. for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4npUdfEmbQ

Llamas
02-25-2010, 05:30 AM
Wait, people actually listen to the lyrics in bigtime pop? No but seriously, pop has always had horrible lyrics and song topics. Anyone remember the macerena? Or Lady Marmalade? I mean, really. But most mainstream rap really is sick... I can't handle most of it... doesn't matter how talented the rappers are, because lyrics are too important to me in a style like rap.

Jojan
02-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Offspring should use more auto tune.

zsk
02-25-2010, 10:12 AM
It's not even about the crappy-sounding synths I hate.

It's not even about the fact that they lost the ability to create songs on their own - 'X feat. Y' co-ops seem to be popular nowadays.

It's not even about the image they are trying to create. Lady Gaga, or Ke$ha. They look ridiculous. But they have to gain attention somehow, I guess.

It's about the 'message' contained in their songs. I just realized I don't have anything against Avril Lavigne or even Britney Spears. I hate their music but they do no harm. What are today's songs about? It's either 'oh yeah bitchez Im so kewl cuz I got money yea yea fuck yea money ftw money money fuck poor ppl they should die poor ppl r stoopid' or 'fuck yeah tonite we gunna party hard cuz only losers dont get drunk every nite and i aint even comin back home tonite cuz im gunna make out wit ten different guyz'

i totaly agree!
That's the fucking east culture!
Stay european !

ad8
02-25-2010, 02:22 PM
Wait, people actually listen to the lyrics in bigtime pop? No but seriously, pop has always had horrible lyrics and song topics. Anyone remember the macerena? Or Lady Marmalade? I mean, really. But most mainstream rap really is sick... I can't handle most of it... doesn't matter how talented the rappers are, because lyrics are too important to me in a style like rap.
This. There was a time that I hated pop music for the message it was spreading, but then I realized that most people don't care about the lyrics anyway. So I don't think these people would benefit from listening to Offspring music in regards of their morality or something.

I'm not interested in rap at all. But everbody has the right to listen to whatever they want to. I just think that such lyrics distort the awareness of important values in real life.
I don't think that they distort the awareness of important values in real life. I think that the meaningless lyrics of modern pop music are the consequence of people not paying attention to values in relation to music/lyrics. If people would buy more meaningful stuff Lady Gaga and whoever else it may be would not have as much success as they have today.

Long story short: I don't think most people would be different without todays pop music. The only difference would be that those people would not listen to any music at all. Or Bach.

Llamas
02-25-2010, 02:52 PM
lol Bach is almost as bad as Gaga :P

WebDudette
02-26-2010, 06:15 PM
What a bunch of fucking idiots.

Please JN, enlighten us.

dff_punk
02-27-2010, 04:28 PM
I'd like to know who writes music for Lady Gaga(I know, it's google-able, just too lazy to do something that seems redundant to do). Like, I can hear just a 5-second snippet of basically any song by her and I can't get it out of my head. Ga-ga-uh-la-la.

mspunk13
02-27-2010, 06:09 PM
LMAO dff_punk, look at these 3 graphs (http://graphjam.com/2010/02/26/funny-graphs-lady-gaga/), especially the 3rd one - I think you will like them.

EDIT: She does write her own music (lyrics included).

Llamas
02-27-2010, 06:32 PM
The Gaga Law: (RAH) (AH) + RO (MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH(LA) = Bad Romance

dff_punk
02-28-2010, 03:01 AM
Haha, that was great. Both the graphs and the equation. Also, interesting she writes everything. A friend showed me an really old video of her once, when her name was not Lady Gaga where she plays the piano and sings, it seemed quite professional.

Llamas
02-28-2010, 04:42 AM
I'd believe that she writes music, but I don't believe that she writes her singles. That type of music seems to always take an entire crew of professional shitty-pop writers. I'm sure she has enough money for legal rights to claim she wrote songs she didn't write - she could pay the writers off.

dff_punk
02-28-2010, 04:49 AM
Yeah, it is hard to believe that the singles were not manufactured like that. Well, she might have some basic idea of the song but all the arrangements, choruses and stuff are made by those "professional shitty pop writers" imho.

Llamas
02-28-2010, 04:54 AM
Yeah, it is hard to believe that the singles were not manufactured like that. Well, she might have some basic idea of the song but all the arrangements, choruses and stuff are made by those "professional shitty pop writers" imho.

Yeah, I'd be willing to believe that she writes, like, the lyrics or something... but not the entire song. No way.

disclaimer_07
02-28-2010, 07:50 AM
While I still like Lady GaGa, I do think that Ke$ha is the epitome of the shitty state of pop music today. And while I can still stand TiK ToK, I just couldn't stop laughing listening to Blah Blah Blah. Yeah, you heard right. Even the title says nothing. And her auto-tuned singing just adds insult to injury.

EDIT:

lady gaga is still catchy as hell though

if tik tok had better lyrics it would be enjoyable too. for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4npUdfEmbQ

Here's yet another parody: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7n8GqewJ2M

AllIn All It's Not So Bad
02-28-2010, 09:19 AM
i totaly agree!
That's the fucking east culture!
Stay european !

you mean west?
The U.S. is to the west of europe man. Although i must say that i like Rammstiean

Omni
02-28-2010, 07:53 PM
You know, it's funny. Until I hard TiK-ToK, I had never found an artist I honestly and truly wanted dead. Like, wishing it upon her with no remorse. I really believe the world would be a better place without her.

mrconeman
02-28-2010, 07:57 PM
I'd believe that she writes music, but I don't believe that she writes her singles. That type of music seems to always take an entire crew of professional shitty-pop writers. I'm sure she has enough money for legal rights to claim she wrote songs she didn't write - she could pay the writers off.

Well before she was the famous Lady Gaga she was one part of those team of shitty writers that write shitty pop music for shitty pop music artists. So it's not unlikely that she does write everything.

It's still drivel though.

coke_a_holic
02-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Lady Gaga absolutely writes most of her own music, probably just receives some help from some writers and stuff. I've seen her interviews, she knows exactly what she's doing and how she's perceived for it. She just doesn't give a fuck.

That's why I like her. Her music? Eh, I like Bad Romance and some parts of other songs, but for the most part it's okay. I just like her because she is just doing her thing and people TOTALLY dig it and that's awesome with her, so it's awesome with me, too.

Llamas
03-01-2010, 02:08 AM
Well before she was the famous Lady Gaga she was one part of those team of shitty writers that write shitty pop music for shitty pop music artists. So it's not unlikely that she does write everything.

It's still drivel though.

Hmm, didn't know that so you're probably right. But you're also right about your last comment, too.

Lady Gaga absolutely writes most of her own music, probably just receives some help from some writers and stuff. I've seen her interviews, she knows exactly what she's doing and how she's perceived for it. She just doesn't give a fuck.

That's why I like her. Her music? Eh, I like Bad Romance and some parts of other songs, but for the most part it's okay. I just like her because she is just doing her thing and people TOTALLY dig it and that's awesome with her, so it's awesome with me, too.

I don't really get why everyone seems to think that *she's* the one who's doing her own thing. Every other pop singer is cut from a mold, except she is somehow completely free of that and does whatever the hell she wants? I'm just not buying it. Her "I do what I want" attitude seems pretty cookie cutter to me.

Omni
03-01-2010, 02:49 AM
I don't really get why everyone seems to think that *she's* the one who's doing her own thing. Every other pop singer is cut from a mold

This is true. I liked Lady Gaga much better when she was Christina Aguilera.

coke_a_holic
03-01-2010, 09:36 AM
If you were to look into it, as opposed to just kind of hearing her music on the radio and seeing her shitty music videos, you would find that she has surprisingly competent interviews, her live performances are visually exciting, and that she's pretty much weird, musically, compared to the standard pop music that we hear on the radio.

The reason I know she doesn't have writers who just determined her shit, is that she was like this before anyone even knew who she was. She used to write music FOR popular bands (Fergie, Akon, New Kids On The Block, Britney Spears) before she started doing her own music. There are pictures of her when she's, like, 21, wearing all of her weird clothes and doing her thang in a dive bar for a gig.

She's just a weird person who people happened to like, and I think that's awesome that she can get away with it. She sounds nothing like any of the artists making popular music today; there's much more David Bowie and Queen influence, and to me, that's just cool. I don't get why people shit all over her when they're discussing the sorry state of popular music -- she's just about the only person I can think of who is not only a superstar, but is also making interesting music.

zsk
03-01-2010, 11:23 AM
you mean west?
The U.S. is to the west of europe man. Although i must say that i like Rammstiean

i know, i'm not dumb,man!
but hip-hop is no music for europeans!
it's east culture in any way- i respect it,but not only in their own countries
what becomes of germany?- all that "fashion" druknen people and money lovers!- Who's interesting in beeing strong or working hard?
who stays at the old german culture?
i think metal and rock in general is music for the western world.....
i don't know any turkish guy who's listening to metal, and i think this has ethnic reasons

ad8
03-01-2010, 11:49 AM
Yeah, drinking is fun!

Apathy
03-03-2010, 12:15 PM
There are pictures of her when she's, like, 21, wearing all of her weird clothes and doing her thang in a dive bar for a gig.

She's only like 23 right now. So this sounds a little funny.

Nonetheless I completely agree with you and I feel as though she's just legitimately one of those people who just does what she wants and has fun doing it. Unfortunately for her there are so many people who shoot for this image nowadays that it makes it look like she is a pretender as well.