PDA

View Full Version : BBS Mixtape Vol IV: Not A New Hope

Homer
02-27-2010, 01:17 AM
Holy shit, it's finally here!

BBS Mixtape Vol. IV (http://www.servercrashers.com/site_files/BBS%20Mixtape%20Vol%20IV.rar)

I'd just like to say that the later stages of this project was a huge headache for me. For some reason, whenever I tried to tag the songs, they would keep resetting back to whatever they were before. I tried to organize things a little more conveniently, keep things consistent, and add some polish to it. Overall, it was a fun thing to work on, and I hope to do it again. So, you better enjoy it!

Track List
01 - BBS Mixtape Vol IV
02 - Fade Away [mspunk13]
03 - Sooner Or Later [The Ricetigers]
04 - Better People [Black Freeway]
05 - The Answer [Thibault Kervarach]
06 - High Life [Thomas Rasmussen]
07 - Cat's Cradle [Fireworks For Luna]
08 - Downtown [Brianna J]
09 - The Unbreakable Miss Bridget (Putting Back The Pieces) [Static Martyr]
10 - Standing Calm [Random Goods]
11 - Against Belief [Against Belief]
12 - Elevators [Da Pantz]

The BBS Mixtape Vol IV.m3u is a playlist file. Just play it with your media player of choice!

Also, tracks 04 and 09 don't have any lyrics, so you'll have to get a hold of them yourselves!

ad8
02-27-2010, 02:44 AM
Downloading now. First of all: Thanks to you, Homer, for doing the compiling work. I think that the idea of including the lyrics in the mixtape directory is cool.
It's awesome that we have 12 songs in the end, too.

Looking forward to reviewing/reading the other reviews!

mspunk13
02-27-2010, 02:58 AM
Holy shit! It's here and it's amazing!

JohnnyNemesis
02-27-2010, 04:55 AM
Hoorabies!

Les Paul Girl
02-27-2010, 06:47 AM
Just finished listening to it and I'm simply amazed! Great job everyone who participated!!

Llamas
02-27-2010, 06:53 AM
Cool business. I listened, and it's good times as usual. :)

mrconeman
02-27-2010, 07:13 AM
Downloading right now :)

I'll not get the chance till tomorrow to listen to it properly as I'm dying of some unGodly hangover, and I'm gigging tonight. But I'll definitely chill with it tomorrow morning and post a good and proper review.

ad8
02-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Holy fucking shit. I just listened through the mixtape and it's awesome from song #1 to song #12. I love the flow and the diversity of the album.
Here are my thoughts on the songs in particular:

01 - BBS Mixtape Vol IV [Against Belief]

This is a great song to start the mixtape with.
Fast-paced and energetic punk rock - a real BBS-anthem! [8/10]

I love how this song builds up by using quiet verses and a loud and energetic chorus. The lead guitar in the chorus slightly reminds me of Dammit, I Changed Again. All in all a really really great song! [9/10]

I'm sorry for ruining the surprise for all the people who already listened to this song before... still I thought this was one of the best songs I could contribute at the time. [me/10]

Holy shit, what is this? I love the opening riff, the main riff, the... well, I'd better say I love the guitars in general! The vocalist does a very good job, too! Actually, the whole band does perfect work. Catchy as hell! [9/10]

This song is pretty different from the previous ones and to be honest, I didn't expect a highspeed-punkrock song from Thibault.
Still this change in style does not disappoint me - quite the contrary: This is again a really good song with great guitar work (I love the solo at 1:35) and an extraordinary combination of instruments. [8,5/10]

Alright, what do we have here? A catchy and driving drum beat, a cool guitar riff and and great vocals. I'm usually not so much into this kind of music, but this song has something about it that makes it really fun to listen to. [8,5/10]

I like this song even though I thought I was maybe getting some new material to hear from you. But then again, the last person who should complain about this is me since I also submitted a song that people could have heard before. So, back to the song: It's got the "trade mark Fireworks For Luna sound". I like the guitar work, especially the solo. I also like how the song develops from "quiet and soft" to "band going nuts and rocking the hell out of their instruments:D" Good song! [8/10]

08 - Downtown [Brianna Kase]

I like how the piano, the vocals and the acoustic guitar work together in this song. The melodies are really beautiful. The only thing I didn't really like was the drums in the beginning. I think they did well in the chorus, but they kinda hurt the quiet atmosphere in the beginning. But this is just a minor flaw to a really beautiful song. [7,5/10]

Another awesome song. I think the sound quality -which was the only thing I could criticise about your earlier works- is really good. I love the guitar solo.
Classic Static Martyr [8,5/10]

This song reminds me of Nirvana. It's sounds really laid-back even though the choruses are energetic as hell. The guitar work is great. Your vocals really developed over the last 1-2 years... somehow they remind me a bit of Kurt Cobain;) All in all a song that could perfectly let my mind wander to. [8/10]

Alright. This is it. This song blew me away. The chorus is fucking energetic, the melodies are catchy as hell, the vocals are really powerful and the sound quality/mixing work is marvellous in my opinion. If I could rate this song with an eleven out of ten, I'd totally do it. [10/10]

I don't know why but I like this one a lot more than the previous stuff I heard from you. I'm still not really familiar with electronic/chip music, though.
[7,5/10]

I think that this was the best mixtape we had so far. Compared to the previous mixtapes we/Homer managed to dramatically improve the sound quality. Once again, best mixtape so far. I'm curious about the fifth one if the mixtapes continue to get better.
Ultimately I want to thank everyone who participated in this awesome project!

My overall impression: [9/10]

Static_Martyr
02-27-2010, 01:15 PM
I am....very happy :D Listening right now, will comment later.

Ryder1234
02-27-2010, 01:21 PM
So, I'm super stoked this is out, listening now...

My review, if your a little disappointed with the length of your review, it's because I'm terrible at reviewing, and would prefer just to say what I liked about this as a whole. But gotta make everyone feel special :p:

01 - BBS Mixtape Vol IV [Against Belief]

Great little intro, fast and hard hitting. It seems somewhat comical when you're singing the "BBS mixtape volume 4" part, and I really liked that. [8/10]

This is a great song. So much energy in the chorus, and takes little breathers in the verses until it explodes back into the chorus. I really liked Carson's vocal work in this. [8.5/10]

Luckily Adrian, I actually hadn't heard this before, as I purposely avoided any bands in your band for this reason from the time we started this project ;)

So anyways, I also really like this. There's something about your vocals that's pretty great. I also like in the verses, when it's quiet but then the drums come in, it's pretty chill and then in comes the chorus. Great contrast. [8.5/10]

Wow, great work on this one. Before I go into the review, I want to comment on how great the quality and mixing is. That's awesome.

This song is really catchy. Everyone did a great job on this. I really like... well, all of it. I think the best review I can give is: amazing! [9.5/10]

You always seem to have a different style going every mixtape, and it's always for the best. At this point, I can't help but notice the stock acoustica drums :P Nothing wrong with that, and hey, at least you were able to mix it good, when I used those samples, they stuck out like a sore thumb

Feels laid back, but energetic somehow at the same time. I like it. The solo is great, and I like that guitar tone you get, it fits perfectly. Not much to say about it, but I really do like this :) [8.5/10]

More acoustica drums! Haha. I like the intro, and then when the vocals come in, I am reminded of a QOTSA song. And oh boy, does that thought get reinforced when I hear the fills. Same tone and all :P I love QOTSA, so this is a definite favorite of mine. The bit with the distorted voice is a nice touch. At the end there, you actually start to sound a bit like Josh Homme, haha.

No QOTSA influence here, no not at all ;P[8.5/10]

This is the type of music I can really get into. Some interesting parts here, in a good way. A good diversity of instruments, and hey! Real drums! I love the vocals. Lots of energy, great song. [8/10]

So at this point, I'd like to point out that the consistency of my ratings being around 8.5 is a good sign. We're all developing into some good songwriters now, compared to earlier editions, that's for sure.

OoOoo, more acoustica drum :P don't ask me why I point this out for every one, I'm just so used to them

So I really love the vocals in this one, you did a great job! The instrument work was great. Again, due to my lack of reviewing skill, I can't really express what I want to say without sounding generic and praising everything, so in a nutshell, it's perfect to just listen to and relax [8/10]

As Adrian said, the quality has greatly improved over your previous works. And holy, I wish I could write songs like this! I love it! So much emotion put into everything. This is almost perfect to me![9.25/10]

So Adrian, the first person I showed this to also said it sounds like Nirvana, and someone else told me it sounded a bit like Green Day. I'm not so surprised, because, when I first wrote the bass riff, I was aiming to write a song like Green Day's "No One Knows", where that bass line is the focus of the song. But as I went along and layed down a demo of it, I actually realized a similarity to "All Apologies" by Nirvana. I based the chorus around All Apologies' a bit. And then I just went my own way with the rest of it, which of course reflects the rest of the song.

I'm really happy how it turned out, although my only problems would be the transition of the palm muting after the second chorus into the clean guitar bit. Some seems awkward there. Another would be how the vocals sound. I think something might be wrong with my mic. In the demo, the sound completely clear, and there's no difference in the level of the singing. Here, quiet parts are somewhat inaudible and loud parts were a bit too loud at first, which I fixed. It sounds a bit flat. I also could have sung a bit better, and did in the demo but I'm not too disappointed at my effort here.

Sorry for writing the most about my song haha, at least I wasn't praising my own stuff, just a little insight to the writing process.

I love Carson's vocals. All the time. This is a really energetic, fast paced punk rock song, that fits perfectly into this album. The quiet part is awesome, it builds up anticipation to jump back into the hard hitting end. Not as much praise as Adrian, but definitely close. [9.5/10]

I enjoy this one, I'm more used to the sharp sounds of chip music after listening to the stuff from It's Dangerous To Go Alone a bunch. I really wanted to get into the genre enough to enjoy a song right away, but it takes an extra listen or two to take it all in. That's pretty skilled though :)
[7,5/10]

So I'm pretty terrible at writing reviews, I can't really put my thoughts into them, but I will say, I was blown away by this one. Well worth the wait! I can't wait to see what we can do on 5 if our improving trend continues, but for now I'm just going to sit back and relax with this.

Overall: [8.75/10]

Static_Martyr
02-27-2010, 02:38 PM
First off: WTF, bro? I sent you lyrics twice and you still didn't include them? :(

But seriously, on to the review....although I don't usually do number scores because I'm not really good at rating on objective criteria~

01 - BBS Mixtape Vol IV

Great, funny, quick and dirty, just my kind of intro. Gives the album a unique flavor and heads it off for easy single-session listening. Also, I always love Against Belief's quality. It makes me jealous....

Again, love the sound quality. What program do you guys use to do your drums, and where the hell can I find it?! Your vocals sound kind of like Against Belief's, which is cool because you both remind me of Bad Religion (and so do your songs on this comp). It's sort of pop-punk but it has that edge and energy that bands like Offspring and Bad Religion have, that most radio "punk" bands just don't seem to understand.

As usual, love the Ricetigers entry. Your voice is very unique, kind of jarring; most singers with voices like that tend to go for heavier, more metal-oriented genres, so it's nice to see someone go for punk with a voice like that. It makes you stand out. Also, I like the chord progression because it's *almost* familiar but then it's different.

Oh my god I really like this one. I've never heard anything by this person (these guys?) before....is that a chick singer? I can't tell, kind of reminds me of the first time I listened to Garbage XD In any case, I really like this song. It's energetic with unique vocals and a poppy progression. It really flows~

At first I thought it was a cover of Bad Religion's "The Answer," then I thought it was a cover of our old song "The Answer." Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a third unique song called "The Answer." Anyway, I love the vox and the keyboards on this one; makes me think of DEVO. It reminds me of something else as well, but I can't put my finger on it at the moment....anyway, it's very atmospheric and kind of cold. I like.

I fucking love this one. The catchy-ass intro beat reminds me of the beat from this local band, Quintron and Miss Pussycat. They have this song called "Waterfall" on their Myspace....I immediately thought of it when I heard this.

http://www.myspace.com/mrquintron

Of course this song turns out to be very different after that. The vocals are swimmy and surreal, and the stop-and-go guitar makes the rhythm stand out and kind of define the song. I like~

One word: Rancid. The vocalist reminds me of Tim Armstrong (the vocals follow a melody but they're also kind of swingy and percussive, not just flat melody) and the musical style reminds me of some of the weird shit that Rancid's been doing lately, like that all-acoustic song from Dominoes Fall. It sounds very bluesy, which is a plus for me.

You have one of those voices that I keep expecting to suddenly project and have like some serious screaming thing going on. But you never do. It works out, though, because you tend to have these soft piano riffs and faint blues-bar drum taps to accentuate it. Gives me kind of a Pretenders vibe. I like.

For anyone who wants to know (or cares), I don't really like the intro vox on this one. The reason why is because my mom had surgery on her foot the day I recorded this, and I was trying to get the vocals done before the deadline (everything else was already finished), but I had to be quiet. I was afraid to project too loudly for fear of bothering my mom, who had to sleep a lot for a couple of days, but I didn't want to be too quiet, so my voice got unintentionally nasally in parts because I was holding back without realizing it (such as the line, "Every morning waking, thinking of new ways to get by," when I say "by" you can hear my voice go nasal apeshit).

But yeah, other than that, it's my favorite slow song I've ever written (I practiced the solo for about three hours --- IMO it's the single most important solo I've ever sat down to record, hands-down. Lovely side note, I changed the title at the last minute to coincide with the heroin of this manga I was reading called "Freezing," which you can find on mangafox.com or onemanga.com, because her story fit with the lyrics so well it was eerie, and since I love tossing out weird obscure nerdy references, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Other than that, though, the two aren't related.

This is so weird, your voice sounds very similar to my friend Bill's:

http://www.myspace.com/billhasbills

But of course your musical styles are very different~ You have this decidedly indie vibe, and you record with a "full band." I like the bass to this song, it gels really well and kind of brings everything together. It does make me think of Green Day a little bit....but it also makes me think of some early Collective Soul, with this kind of mellow jam-session vibe. I like.

It's Against Belief. What do I need to say? It's punk as fuck, he sounds like Greg Graffin when he's drunk and pissed (that's a compliment, at least from me), and it's energetic as hell. It's fucking Against Belief. The guy whose cover of Bed Religion by Ricetigers was enough to make me track down and download his entire discography. Kickass. Oh, and the quality makes me want to trash everything I've ever recorded, get about $6000 in new equipment, and start completely the fuck over. It's just that good. This is the standard by which I judge amateur recording quality, my own included.

I keep forgetting you do bit-bop. I love bit-bop. It's always really nostalgic for me because when I was a kid I didn't listen to a whole lot of music, and so a lot of my first "favorite songs" were from NES and SNES game soundtracks (which were, of course, bit-bop). No lyrics, but no lyrics necessary. It sounds like it could be one of those mindfuck boss fight themes from an old psych-horror game. It reminds me of this one scene from Persona 2: Innocent Sin where you fight this guy Belphegor set to a backdrop of toilets, and you're just kind of going "WTF?!" the whole fight. Delightful. And a great way to end a diverse and awesome BBS Mixtape comp.

Now I'm off to go hate the stuff I'm recording for my new EP. Thanks for destroying my confidence with your awesomeness, BBS!

(...seriously, though, stuff like this is what makes me want to keep making better stuff. I mean, it's good. Really, really good.)

Superdope
02-27-2010, 02:52 PM
YES! Downloading now. Swift judgement to follow :)

mspunk13
02-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Again, love the sound quality.

Thanks! I recorded everything directly, used Guitar Rig 3 for guitar effects (two guitar tracks, two different amps for a nice effect) and also a bass amp simulator.

What program do you guys use to do your drums, and where the hell can I find it?!
I personally use Superior Drummer 2. However, you can also try BFD2, EZDrummer and Addictive Drums. These programs, unfortunately, cost a lot of money. There are other ways to acquire them, though :) (read: torrents).

Your vocals sound kind of like Against Belief's, which is cool because you both remind me of Bad Religion (and so do your songs on this comp). It's sort of pop-punk but it has that edge and energy that bands like Offspring and Bad Religion have, that most radio "punk" bands just don't seem to understand.
Thanks! Homer of Against Belief did the vocals for this song so... that explains a lot I guess :)

Llamas
02-27-2010, 03:12 PM
Shit, man. I wish I could've made a real legit contribution. My song is super old and also a cover, but I couldn't record anything new. It pales so badly, cause most of the shit on here is everyone's best contributions ever on the mixtapes (static martyr, coneman, I'm looking at you!)... while I submitted something way below my standard. I really hope that I'll have the ability to record for the next one. I'll definitely be putting up a review shortly. It's great to see all the reviews this time - there was a severe lack of that last time. These mixtapes tend to renew my faith in this bbs... so much talent here!

T-6005
02-27-2010, 03:58 PM
I'll be sure to check this out as soon as I have the time.

Homer
02-27-2010, 04:18 PM
First off: WTF, bro? I sent you lyrics twice and you still didn't include them? :(

Sorry, man. But I don't have any PM from you! I'm not saying that you didn't send one, but I just didn't get one. I blame vBulletin.

dff_punk
02-27-2010, 04:33 PM
I listened to the whole thing just now, seems really good. Some stuff really surprised me, in a good way. Maybe I'll write something more when I listen to the stuff more.

And, I'm sorry I couldn't participate after all, since I posted here I'll finally be on this one. I just HAD to go to that ski trip.

Static_Martyr
02-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Sorry, man. But I don't have any PM from you! I'm not saying that you didn't send one, but I just didn't get one. I blame vBulletin.

Ah, no worries (I would've forgotten anyway if you hadn't said anything). But that's weird because I sent the lyrics in the same PM as the track, which you have 0.0 It looked like this:

Song = http://www.sendspace.com/file/fqdtg7
Lyrics = http://www.sendspace.com/file/0zd7hq

Also, your cover of Ricetigers' Bed Religion made me sad. Not because it was bad....rather because it was so awesome that it made me insecure about my own work Seriously, impressive dude.

In any case, here are the lyrics for anyone who needs them:

--The Unbreakable Miss Bridget (Putting Back The Pieces)--

"It started off bad, the daughter of a lie
Then it got worse - a sickness, ill defined
She stopped reaching and staring at the sky
She kept it all inside to show she was refined

The time she spent waiting was part of the design
To keep herself from breaking, she told herself this lie
Every morning waking, thinking of new ways to get by
Every evening shaking, afraid that she would die

There's no reason for this treason
Killed her feelings just to survive

She couldn't run away 'cause she knew she'd be back one day
But she couldn't bear to stay knowing that things would never change
So she held it all inside just to stay alive

Everybody sees her walking down the hall
But nobody sees her giving it her all
Still, she looks into the past, though she knows she'll never get it back
After all these years, she's still acting like her heart is black

Is she angry? Is she lonely?
Is she someone's one and only?

She's here to stay, maybe this way she'll see the light of day
When she's alone, she'll tell herself the lie that it's okay
Will she overcome the things they've said and done?

Screaming on the inside, that's where it burns
Underneath the skin now, that's how she learns
A thousand miles away, she's no longer afraid to die
A thousand years later, maybe she'll get another try

She's barely alive."

It pales so badly, cause most of the shit on here is everyone's best contributions ever on the mixtapes (static martyr, coneman, I'm looking at you!)...

Ah, it's not *that* big a deal. I mean, I'd never heard that song before, nor did I know it was a cover, so you coulda fooled me if you hadn't said anything :p Also, it provided a nice interlude from the punxness, which IMO helped the pacing of the whole thing quite a bit (along with stuff like Ryder's 6-minute epic thing).

Homer
02-27-2010, 04:43 PM
But that's weird because I sent the lyrics in the same PM as the track, which you have 0.0 It looked like this:

Sh-shit... well, now I feel stupid.

Llamas
02-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Hmm, why are my lyrics the only ones that aren't labeled? Like, artist/song name at the top? I'm a little disappointed, also, that the tag I requested wasn't used :-/ I'm sure the original file I sent over included my last name, but I thought I listed a specific label for my song when I sent it over... I don't like to use my last name publicly, especially with my music... oh well, I guess...

Anyway, the more I listen to this mix, the more I like it. Static, your song seriously reminds me of Green Day - but in a really good way. Not like 21 Guns way, but like the Warning-era way. :)

Homer
02-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Hmm, why are my lyrics the only ones that aren't labeled? Like, artist/song name at the top? I'm a little disappointed, also, that the tag I requested wasn't used :-/ I'm sure the original file I sent over included my last name, but I thought I listed a specific label for my song when I sent it over... I don't like to use my last name publicly, especially with my music... oh well, I guess...

Shit, well now I feel even more like an ass.

But I'll have you know that I don't do these things deliberately.

Llamas
02-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Meh, don't worry about it. Shit always goes wrong somewhere with the bbs mixtapes. Well, maybe not always - I think Vera did a great job with the first two? - but last time, your song cut off halfway and I didn't even know it until I listened to the mixtape all the way through after uploading/posting. I figured it wasn't intentional, so I'm not upset. It just sucks that it happened. So I guess we're even now :P

Llamas
02-28-2010, 08:27 AM
I just read the reviews so far, and I love the reactions to Coneman's entry (Black Freeway). :P

So not that my opinions are really worth all that much, but one thing that's always bugged me about these mixtapes is that there always seem to be the same couple people who submit a song, wait for reviews, but never take the time to comment on anyone else's work. So this time, I'm going to give my opinion to people who've taken that extra time, because I think everyone appreciates it.

Sooner or Later - Ricetigers
I have to admit, I liked Bed Religion more, but this is definitely good. I like that it's a bit more varied throughout, and the quality of your recordings have definitely improved. I think for me, it's just tough because I'm not really a huge fan of, I guess, straight punk anymore. But as a punk song, it's really quite good. :) I give it a 7/10

Standing Calm - Random Goods
Yeah man, this is so much better than your last bbs submission. I remember how down-trodden you were feeling about your vocals after that one - I'm glad you stuck with it. The best thing here is just the overall flow of the song. It's just a really nice chill-out grungy sort of song. I think the drums are too loud for the feel of the track, though... and while I applaud your effort at making a long song, it felt a bit needlessly long. But long songs are hard to do - so it's still an accomplishment. It's really a nice song to relax to. :) I give it an 8/10

The Unbreakable Miss Bridget - Static Martyr
You know, your songs have always been kind of a thing where I felt like you had so much potential... catchy songs, fun attitude, but there was something missing - somehow, things just fell to the side of being kinda generic. This song totally uses that potential, though, and I really love it. It has a total Green Day vibe - but in the best of ways. It's like if you took the best parts of Green Day (mostly Warning-era). This is one of my favorite songs on the mixtape. I don't care if the production quality isn't the greatest - I like the raw sound. This song is good enough to make it into my regular listening for awhile. 9.5/10

Edit: it's stuck in my head right now. I last listened to the mixtape like 6 hours ago, and I've listened to like 3 other albums since then. Damn you! :P

Ryder1234
02-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Thank You :)

I actually don't try to make long songs; it's just that I can't write short ones, haha. Ever since Save The Day, everything I've done, or started to do, has become a long song. I even have unfinished demos that are 4 minutes, which means there's a point where they just fade out cause there more to write. Though, the last 4 weeks I've been trying to come up with something that could be short.

mrconeman
03-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Okay, so I'm listening now and shall do my review as it goes.

BBS Mixtape volume IV:
haha, funny idea, it sounds like a TV show theme song or something, a nice start to what I'm sure is a grand piece together of music. BBS/10.

Fade Away - mspunk
Instant Offspring influence feel. And now Immediate Bad Religion influence too. Good fast paced energetic punk. I like the main riff. 7/10

Sooner or Later - The Ricetigers
Sounds industrial or something at the start, or like a German Nirvana song.
Now into a nice fast paced punk song. The vocals suit the slower sections a little better I think, could use a little more energy in the faster sections, but I'm nitpicking. Guitar solo picks the song up in general at the end. 6.5/10

Better People - Black Freeway
I can't really review this since it's my band :P. I'll just explain it a bit instead. So this was the first song I wrote when I joined this band, I brought themusic in, which I guess is kind of influenced by Thin Lizzy, but just good poppy classic rock, that still rocked in the chorus. Accesible really. Our singer had some lyrics influenced by the troubles and turbulance our country went through in the 70's, and his lyrics fit my music, done!
Thanks for all the really great comments on this one, very flattered, it's mixed that well because we went to the best recording studio in the country!
mrconeman/10

Thibuault - The Answer:
Liking the keyboardy/synth sounds in this one alot, it sounds like something from Final Fantasy 7 or 8, which from me is a compliment. I say your music sounds like video games alot, you should compose for them. A change of pace from you on this one I think, interesting to hear. Really liking the guitar tone on the solo, and guitar harmonies are the best noise on the planet.
8.5/10

Thomas Rasmussen - High Life: 7/10
I really want to walk down the street to this song, it just sounds like it would be a great walking song. Nice sort of funky thing going on with the drums and guitar.

Cats Cradle - Fireworks for Luna:
Not really digging it so much if im honest, very draggy, and I know Mike's vocals are kind of supposed to be like that, but it's just not grabbing me. Instrumental break in the middle saves it from dire. 5/10

Brianna Kase - Downtown:
Really digging the piano/keys tone, happy sound in a melancoly sounding song, interesting. Guitar seems a little bit out of tune, but it's played well enough. The vocals are actually pretty good, not sure about the choice of that higher harmony, but it sounds well. 7/10

Static Martyr - Unbreakable Miss Bridget:
Digging the chord progression at the start and the vocal melody goes well. That was a tasty bass run at the drum beat. Distorted guitar takes it in a different direction, keeps it fresh, and the backing vocals work really well. Think I can hear Offspring/Greenday influences, liking the little guitar melody here too. Good work indeed. Solo was nice. 8.5/10

Random Goods - Standing Calm:
Getting a Smashing Pumpkins vibe straight away on the intro. Yeah, the driving along rhythm of it is really reminding me of 1979 by the Pumpkins, but not in a rip off way, just in a nice vibe way. Digging this one, the vocals are about the only thing I would critisize, it could just be a little stronger, but thats a common problem. I guess its a little too lengthy too, anyway really enjoyed this one too. 7.5/10

Against Belief - Against Belief:
Really nice American sounding Punk, I actually reallly dig the vocals on this. I think punk vocals can really make or break a punk band, and they dont have to be technically good, they just have to sound "cool" you know? And these vocals definitely have that. Lyrics are nice too. Definitely what I would normally have expected from an Offspring bbs tape. 9/10

Da Pantz - Elevators:
Sorry, but this seems like my least favourite from you Ricky :(. I liked your last ones because they were kind of cute and funky, this is more like srsdjwantstofilldancefloor. I'm not so much digging this one. It sounds well made though, and I'm sure its a difficult process sampling that many sounds.
5/10

Overall: pretty good, my review > your review.

T-6005
03-01-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm giving a REVIEW.

EDIT - Apparently my shit is all out of order, so I guess that's just too bad. You'll just have to try and find your song wherever you find it.

Foreword – I'm going to try and be constructive here, so if I say things that sound mean, please remember they aren't. I know you all worked hard on your songs, and in your defenses there wasn't a song I hated. Also, since I don't really care for punk music that's a bit of a sore spot. In any case, there really wasn't a bad song, so I don't want to hear you crying unless your score is below 5, which is the line of mediocrity here. If you're above that, your song is better than mediocre.

BBS Mixtape Vol. IV – Finally, our little community is immortalized. MakingHistory/10

Brianna Kase – Downtown – I felt like you were trying to subtly move dissonances in and out of this song, which gives it a really weird feel, and I think perhaps the drums give it an unnecessary feel and might have been better served with another guitar track for rhythm purposes (somehow). But the piano is nice, and though I didn't like the vocals the first time my second time through they grew on me a lot – maybe I was distracted the first time, I don't know. Still, the drums feel pretty unnecessary. A nice vibe with the piano and eventual electric guitar, though. Lyrically, it feels like there's a lot of repetition, though – perhaps too much for me. More than likely that's just because the theme of the song is pretty focused. 7.5/10

Black Freeway – Better People – It's a good song, definitely, though the singer's voice is almost comically 80s. Avoids it by more than a hair, it's true – there's a generous margin for error – but vocal vibrato in a rock song like this tends to bring up that comparison for me. Still, the guitar work is sweet as usual and as a whole the song is cohesive from beginning to end. The verse almost has a little 'high school pop-rock' vibe to it that I don't honestly care for, though that's pretty much the only thing. 8/10

Thibault Kervarech – The Answer – Feels weird giving a description, since I've listened to every other song now. Basically, lyrically the song is a little all over the place, but mostly concerns approaches to understanding one's own life, and a tendency for others to claim they have 'the answer' you're looking for. The verses were originally meant to describe the gaps and inconsistencies in accepting other peoples' answers as your own, but quickly kind of went their own way. Musically, I decided to have neither piano or strings in this song, which is kind of a reactionary approach to my own songwriting in the recent path. I almost feel like the song is too short, but at the same time I was afraid it would be tedious if I stretched it. Thibault/Kervarech

mspunk13 – Fade Away – It sounds like a pretty generic punk song at first, but I like some of the vocal harmonies used in this song. To be honest I sort of feel like I've heard this song before, in lyrical content. That in itself is not a complaint – tons of punk songs deal with similar themes, and this one does so more capably than most. Your change of cadence at 2:28-ish is also clever – I really appreciated that as probably the best single moment in the song since it completely subverted my expectation. 7/10

The Ricetigers – Sooner Or Later – Your songs always get me in a weird place, because on the one hand it sounds like your voice actually doesn't quite meet your songs, but then you listen and the two work quite well together. The lyrics hold the song together, but don't blast me away, either. There's something in the song that just doesn't gel for me like some of your others, though it's still a more than passable track. 6.5/10

Thomas Rasmussen – High Life – I like the way this starts, but I imagine upon repeated listenings it might get slightly tedious. Then again, perhaps not, since I quite like the way you integrated guitar and drums very nicely. Your voice doesn't strike me as the kind I would normally enjoy, but it fits the song surprisingly well, and I ended up enjoying it – the song is pretty much made by the little things you move in and out. It reminds me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on it. There are a few notes that don't sound quite right to me on the lead guitar, but it's a small gripe, and the end integrates really well. Depending on which part of the song I'm listening to, I'm vacillating on a final judgment, which is always good. Means there's depth to the song. 8.5/10

Fireworks for Luna – Cat's Cradle – Naming your song the title of a Vonnegut novel – one I just reread – is always dangerous. I like this, but to be honest as usual there are things that just seem to pop slightly out of the song at times. It seems like a purposeful Mike trademark, though, not like you made mistakes. There's some really great stuff in this song, but I will never, ever be able to get used to the static on a guitar that isn't feedback. Still, there's enough good to overwhelm and get my foot tapping, and overall I quite enjoyed what you've put together here, particularly the end which slaps my face with its quirkily climactic vibes. 8/10

Static Martyr – The Unbreakable Miss Bridget (Putting Back the Pieces) – I actually think the way you went with the recording quality doesn't make it sound bad at all, but rather purposefully background-y, which fits perfectly for the song. I'm almost kind of sad you guys went to a big catchy guitar chorus – though it certainly is catchy – because I kind of liked what you were doing in the verse more and was hoping for a low-key, backbeat kind of chorus. I kind of feel like this I could hear this on the radio, and though it's really easy to like I tend to get turned off by a lot of things like this, so perhaps there's some lingering animosity. I liked the verse more than enough to make up for that, though – and your outro fits really well too. It's mostly a personal thing, but I just couldn't move past the chorus. 7/10

Random Goods – Standing Calm – Nice starting riff, though for me the drums are actually distracting. You might have been better off without the cymbal/hi-hat at all. Voice-wise, you're getting better, actually, and your song carries its vibe really well, so definite congratulations on that. I pick up a bit of Nirvana in the chorus. Otherwise, you seem to really fixate on rhyming with your lyrics – though perhaps that's just this song. Anyway, overall I really like your song construction with the guitar levels working with each other, and I think your voice is pretty clearly getting better, and at the end of the song I feel like the cymbal might not have been a bad choice after all, since it eventually blends into the song too. 7.5/10

Against Belief – Against Belief – I won't lie, I absolutely started laughing when this song started. It brought me all the way back to high school. Nice drums, sweet guitar sound, and everything fits the voice. This feels like the lovechild that Conspiracy of One (the song) would have with A Wilhelm Scream or something. I liked the bridge too, but I almost feel like you let the momentum go to bring it back up – it does what it does really well, but I was super into the vibe. Thankfully you brought it back really quickly and it accomplishes exactly what it was supposed to do – rock. I'm not sure how I feel about the phrase “an upstream relief,” though. So much for my bias against punk songs in the mixtape. 9.5/10

DaPantz – Elevators. A strange phaser effect here and there, and shit popping in from left and right, but it really works pretty well against the pounding middle you set up. I don't really get the dance connection others are making, but I do feel like you were unsure where you were going with this song, which is too bad – it came back to the same middle, but I didn't get a sense of progression. Still, the bit around 1:44 is one I find particularly delicious, and once or twice during the song I could swear you were giving Star Wars an ironic nod. 7/10

Overall commentary – My, my, does this mixtape ever set up “the vibes.” Instrumentation seems to have moved up a notch pretty much across the board, leading to layers of instruments that – surprise! – aren't doing the same thing, but instead complement each other. Obviously, some people have been doing that since as long as there have been BBS mixtapes, but I think seeing it in a majority of the songs is really an indicator of a large increase in quality songwriting, which can never be a bad thing. 8.5/10 – Not an average.

Ryder1234
03-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Haha, well to be honest, it was only there for timekeeping and I wasn't sure about leaving it there or removing it (the hi hats), and in the end actually decided to take it out but forgot to. By the time I realized it (after rendering the song), I had already played around with the levels in my program to the point where I didn't like it, trying to re mix the song better, but failing, and couldn't go back to the old settings so I just left it in.

coke_a_holic
03-01-2010, 07:24 PM
1. BBS Intro:
Adorable! I'm a fan of the kind of jokey-but-no-we're-serious deal. Half-Joke/10

2. mspunk - Fade Away:
I don't really listen to this sort of music anymore, but it brings me back to the days, man. The production sounds great. Bad-Religulous/10

3. Ricetigers - Sooner Or Later:
I think I should've been expecting this one. I think I just like Germans speaking English, to be honest; your English is really good, I just love that accent and I like the ending solo, too. I'm sorry but "life" rhymed with "strife" will always be the ultimate cop out, though. SMASHING YOUR STRIFE. Even still, it's just cool hearing you guys, it reminds me of good times.Sweet business/10.

4. Black Highway - Better People:
I do not have the equipment to play this file apparently? Why is this one song an wma? I'll come back to this one/10

5. Thibault - The Answer
Kind of a Depeche Mode in Hotel California thing or something, right? I don't really have an ear for the baritone vocals, but that's not really a matter here: I think that your musical prowess is just really cool, I wish I could play all of these instruments as well as you can. It really shows throughout the song that you have the skills to pay the proverbial bills. Jealousy/10.

6. Thomas Rassmus - High Life
I'm at this weird disjoint here, to be perfectly honest. I really really like the lyrics a lot, and I think the music was pretty awesome, too, but a little bit long? It's, like, a fucking awesome 3 minute song played for 4:30, so it ended up being a little drawn out in some places. But it's not the worst thing that could happen, so I give it a Stillprettysweet/10

7. Fireworks For Luna - Cat's Cradle
I wrote this song to prove that I could still write music. My friends did drums and saxophones for it because I asked them, so I was really happy about that. Directly afterward, the drummer and I decided to make an actual band, Fireworks For Luna. Yeah, I like my own music... Otherwise I wouldn't write it. I think that my vocals are probably the least exciting thing about the recording, but I still really like that middle part through the end. Plus, my friend who did the sax fucking killed it, I was so happy with how he played the parts. Wish I could've gotten a new song recorded for this, but until next time, we're stuck with what we got. Me/10

8. Brianna - Downtown
Kind of reminds me of a mixture between Of Montreal (vocals/harmonies) and The Mountain Goats (instrumentation, and songwriting). This is a very good thing. There's sort of an almost 90's alt-pop + folkiness. I really like the minimal piano parts with the low guitar in the background, though sometimes it sounds like the guitar might be a little out of tune? I can't tell for sure, but I kind of hear a weird note. Minimaltastic/10

9. Static Martyr - The Unbreakable
I feel like this song would really benefit from some drums. It feels like it's got all the parts necessary for an alt-rock jam sesh, but without the rhythm, it's almost like kind of a let down. Also, rhyming "reason" with "treason" made me cringe. But the harmonies were spot on. Grungy/10

10. Random Goods - Standing Calm
Well, here's another song similar to my feelings with High Life. It's a great song, but the song is just way too long. It's, like, a great song, but not a 7 minute epic. You gotta figure a way to cut this into a more palletable piece; it's really good, but after the 4 minute mark, things start wearing just a little. Move the part around 5:30 back down, cut everything short and make the song a little shorter and you'd be solid for a great track. Septagonal/10

11. Against Belief - Against Belief
I like how you were called American Punk. Because that's what it sounds like. It's a true state of National Identity crisis. We're willing to take you down here. There's kind of a NoFX feel to the bridge; maybe it's just the political lyrics with the vocals. World tour comin' in quick. Brazen/10

12. DaPantz - Elevators
Oh man, things are getting fucking real. This song actually sounds like elevators coming up and going down. And carrying robots. Robots with guns. Firing at the other robots in the other elevator. As they pass each other. I'm not sure how I feel about that yet, but until then, I'll give it a Fucking nuts/10.

Overall, I think it was a great job on everyone's part. I'm never expecting it to be so good when I download it, and then I'm always amazed once it comes out. Homer went above and beyond with this, which I'm happy about, and I feel like everyone is out to best their last addition. I almost wrote last addiction there. The addiction is to be better than their last addition. So next time, I will be working hard to get a great song out. And I will. Fuck Yeah/10

coke_a_holic
03-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Oh, and a response to reviews of my song: Yes to all of you.

Exceptions:

Thi: Naming a song after a Vonnegut novel is, like, the worst thing you can do. Originally, I borrowed more than a little bit from the book, but I cut it out because I felt cheap, but it left an awkward title. It was something of a slight to someone else, but something of a "oh, I don't want to change the name of this song, so fuck it."

Static Martyr: You think I sound like Tim Armstrong? That's fucking great. I'm done.

Coneman: Dire is a great word to describe how I do thangs. See, when I record, I asphyxiate the track until it's in critical condition. This is a display of dominance, it's standard.

EDIT: I just noticed that it looks like I took more offense to being likened to Tim Armstrong than being told that my voice jumped the song and beat it within inches of its life, only to have it saved by some saxophones. That's okay with me.

Static_Martyr
03-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Static Martyr: You think I sound like Tim Armstrong? That's fucking great. I'm done.

I just noticed that it looks like I took more offense to being likened to Tim Armstrong than being told that my voice jumped the song and beat it within inches of its life, only to have it saved by some saxophones. That's okay with me.

Aww :( Well, if it helps, I meant it as a compliment....Rancid isn't one of my *favorite* bands, but I do like a lot of their stuff. I just don't care much for Lars Fredriksen's(?) singing...

coke_a_holic
03-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Hahaha, I was just playing around... I don't mind being compared to Tim Armstrong. I actually have had to fight myself to stop from doing the half-British thing before.

http://www.mitchclem.com/nothingnice/comics/20040811.gif

Free?
03-03-2010, 04:09 AM
OMFGGGG people. I WANAN BUTTSECKS YOU ALL! SO GHOOOD.
<3 <3<3
RESPECKD!

Llamas
03-03-2010, 05:59 AM
So, comments on:

Better People - Black Freeway Well, you already know this is my favorite Black Freeway song that's been recorded so far. Just a straight up good rock song. The guitar riffs n stuffz is srsgood. gs/10

The Answer - Thibault Kervarech I really love your musical style... always have. I love the prog-rock feel of this song especially. Every song you've submitted to the mixtape has ranked high for me, and this is no exception. I think your vocals could stand a bit more prominence. I'm with you on the idea that vocals should not be the most important part of music, but I feel like they're almost too hidden behind sort of a wall of sound sometimes. The guitar breakdown is lovely. 9/10

Cat's Cradle - Fireworks for Luna I remember this one from when I put together the last mixtape :) Green Eyes is still my favorite coke a holic song, but this is a good'n. I think the saxes are such an added bonus. I always thought your music would appreciate real horns. I love the beginning, but the drums kinda bug me. This song is just crazy, though. The more I listen to it, the more I'm just like, dude, what else sounds anything like this? It's pimp.
The saxes sound a bit outta tune now and then, though. :-/ Anyway, your ridiculous voice is totes growing on me in time... 8/10

Responses to comments about my song:

To all of you: this is a very old recording - I actually realized later that I had a much better song/recording to send, but it was too late. I was never very happy with the recording, and the electric guitar is DEFINITELY out of tune - it strictly does not tune. But I dealt with it. :-/ Also, it's a cover, so any comments about the lyrics or song-writing I can't take credit (or blame) for.

Thibault, I agree that the drum part sucks ass. I'd really love to re-record this someday with 1) a much better drum part 2) a bass part 3) a guitar that tunes.

Superdope
03-09-2010, 09:20 AM
So I've listened it through a couple of times, gave it a rest, and am listening through it again. Will give my immediate reactions as i go. Brevity isn't necessarily a bad thing, and I have to say that each and every time a new mixtape comes around I am, without fail, blown away.

BBS Mixtape Vol 4. - Against Belief

Fuck yes. Pretty powerful sense of unity here.

Fade Away - mspunk

There's nothing wrong with this track, it just doesn't really stick out for me.

Sooner or later - Ricetigers

Probably my favorite ricetigers song. Loved the intro and the quiet-loud-quiet dynamics

Better people - Black freeway

Stunning quality. Love the riffing. Heard it on myspace previously, I think. This is like the good part of the 80's and it also reminds me of The Distillers somehow, which is a good thing. Easygoing solid rock and roll.

The Answer - Thibault

There's something pretty cool about this track. it's like it's always close to going into overdrive mode, but it never does, which I like. As always the guitar playing is immaculate.

High Life - Thomas Rasmussen

I wrote one of the leads last summer, and it since then it's just been laying around waiting to turn into something. Trivia: 2900 is the zipcode for Hellerup, famous for its huge mansions and rich residents. There's a TV show called 2900 happiness here in Denmark, which portrays the life of the wealthy youth, exactly as mind-numbingly enraging as it sounds.

Cat's Cradle - Fireworks for Luna

Mike is so Indie it hurts. The song is all over the place, but somehow it all fits pretty well together. I'm a fan. Love the horns.

Downtown - Brianna Kase

Heard it before. This is pretty old isn't it? not that that is a bad thing, however. The minimalistic style works great for the song.

TUMB (PBTP) - Static Martyr

Great. Excellent musicianship.

Standing Calm - Random Goods

Your best. High quality recording. Mesmerizing, tranquill, laid back. love it. There is no problem at all with its length, I think, because it gives the groove time to sink in. Smashing Pumpkins, anyone? Singing is aeons better than Save the Day.

Against Belief - Against Belief

Classic AB or was it BR? Seriously, I can't tell. That is a compliment by the way. Straight up punk rock, upping the punx.

Elevators - Da Pantz

Hu might need them, but I need them more. Paranoia inducing mindfuckery. And the robots, don't get me started on the robots.

Everyone aced it, for sure.

Tijs
03-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Wow, there's really some awesome stuff on this. Honestly, I haven't heard anything that I don't like, but there's some stuff in there that really stands out. I'll comment to the ones that appeal to me the most.

Firstly, the intro. Wow, that's really damn good and entertaining. I love Disclai... this intro! Fast paced, good quality, awesome.

mspunk13 - Fade Away
Sounds like Bad Religion, and I like it. Just straight in your face punkrock, can't go wrong with that.

Black Freeway - Better People
I love these kind of guitar riffs, the ones that repeat without getting boring. The vocals takes a moment to get used to but once that moment has passed it's uniqueness is also it's awesomeness at the same time.
I'd say this is the best song of this volume. Which member is this?

Thomas Rasmussen - High Life
Sorry, but the vocals kind of ruin it a bit. Although that's more because it sounds like it was recorded with a webcam. Other then that it's pretty good.

Brianna Kase - Downtown
I like it but it's not really something I was able to get into, maybe partially because of the super-high voice. It's sounds interesting but not for the entire song. But as Superdope said: The minimalistic thing really works well.

Static Martyr - The Unbreakable Miss Bridget
I don't know if I said this before, but I loved "The Underdog", I actually listened to that a few times back. Now I like this song too but it lacks the the emotional quality that song had and some originality (though I think you said that "The Underdog" was inspired by a MCR song). But okay, this song could've been better, but it's still quite nice.

This is awesome. Seriously, you should start a band.
Oh, right...

Da Pantz - Elevators
I want to say that I just heard Mr. Oizo while someone is playing Space Invaders.
No but seriously, this isn't my type of music although I think I could enjoy it on the rare occasion that I feel like hearing this, provided I turn up the volume really loud.
One question though, everytime I hear this kind of music I just can't help but wondering why that certain songtitle was chosen. "Elevator" - why?

Superdope
03-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Sorry, but the vocals kind of ruin it a bit. Although that's more because it sounds like it was recorded with a webcam. Other then that it's pretty good.

That's because it was. I have no other mic :(

Llamas
03-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Brianna Kase - Downtown
I like it but it's not really something I was able to get into, maybe partially because of the super-high voice. It's sounds interesting but not for the entire song. But as Superdope said: The minimalistic thing really works well.

Downtown - Brianna Kase

Heard it before. This is pretty old isn't it? not that that is a bad thing, however. The minimalistic style works great for the song.

Shit, man. I wish I could've made a real legit contribution. My song is super old and also a cover, but I couldn't record anything new. It pales so badly ... I submitted something way below my standard.

werd up, yo. But <3333 for the reviews, boys.

mrconeman
03-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Good stuff on a few extra reviews, and hopefully more to come :)

I'm the guitarist in Black Freeway by the way Tijs, and thanks for the very kind words you made me go from :( to :)

dff_punk
03-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Okay, I think this mixtape might be, on the overall sound level, the best ever there was. First of all, I'm really sad I didn't send my contribution at time, you know, cause I was skiing and stuff so I didn't have time to record the vocals. But nevertheless, maybe it was for the best, and my song might have ruined the consistence of this thingy, which is imminent. (Talk about low self-esteem, huh?)

Against Belief - BBS Mixtape Vol IV

Sorry I gotta say this in the beginning, but I have a huge weakness for this 90s-type sounding punk-rock. Great intro, kinda sounds like sped-up Reel Big Fish without their horns. Would go well on Short Music For Short People. And, up the bbs, yo.

Mspunk13 - Fade Away

I love this first "real" song. Sounds like Bad Religion with a bit of Pulley and Millencolin. That equals a great song. Carson's vocals fit perfectly too. You got a great talent on your hands, Michal! My fave part starts at 1:47 and then again 2:30. Big thumbs up.

The Ricetigers - Sooner Or Later

You can't go wrong with The Ricetigers. They might be the most recognizable artist on this BBS. Adrian's distinctive vocals in the lower octave, their slow/fast tempo changes.. And I love that you stand out like that. As for this song, I like the fast part more(who would've expected that??). And props for the solo too dude. Nice work you did.

Black Freeway - Better People

Wow. Excellent production. Wonderful rock-ish female vocals. Fantastic melody-driven chorus and the verses too. Oh and I can't find the right words for the solo. I just love this type of solos... not too short, not too long, yet melodic, entertaining and not too show-off-like.

Thibault Kervarech - The Answer

I kinda recall you told me sometime a similar thing about the atmosphere of my songs, but your songs are really fucking more atmospheric and moody than mine will ever be. This song has got a kinda haunting vibe, mostly during the multi-vocal part near the end. I like it, your songs have the spirit. The solo is nice too.

This main riff which goes through the whole song is kinda catchy and I can imagine it might be really fun on guitar. In fact, I might try it out sometime. This genre as a whole isn't that familiar to me, I even don't know how to call it. Some people mentioned QOTSA, so that might be it. I like the riff, your vocals are distinctive too. Glad there's an instrumental/talking break too so it doesn't get too repetetive ;)

Fireworks For Luna - Cat's Cradle

I gotta say an introductory saying for this one: Most punk songs have the disorderly spirit in both the music and the lyrics. At least that's how it used to be. Nowadays the music has gotten soft. To me, this song is really TRU PUNX, in the musical way. You sing whatever the fuck you want and however the fuck you want. And you still got the talent to keep it melodic, the song still has its spirit, and it's really nice to listen to. I like this attitude. I don't know how much you are familiar with punk music, but imho this one is punk more than anyone could tell.

Brianna Kase - Downtown

Heh, Brianna, I know this is an older piece of yours. Nevertheless, this song has got a really melancholic atmosphere. I like the mood of the song. I always like when a song has got a mood, something which makes the song unique and makes you think of certain situations while listening to it. This song has it.

Static Martyr - The Unbreakable Miss Bridget (Putting Back The Pieces)

The intro-melody is wonderful. When I first heard the first vocals I was immediately hooked and had to listen to the whole song. Kinda unusual for Static Martyr to put such a slow Greenday-ish song on the mixtape, but I think it fits here very nicely. You are a decent songwriter. And don't get me started on the solo. Almost gave me fucking goosebumps.

Random Goods - Standing Calm

Whoa, I like the direction you're going, Kevin. At first your vocals reminded me a bit of Tom DeLonge from the Cheshire Cat records :D But the music is a bit more grunge-y with a glimpse of pop-rock... (can I say Nirvana's "All Apologies? ..I believe someone mentioned this before) It's really nice to listen to... I think this is the perfect song when talking with friends, who listen to just any music, it flows so gently no one even minds that it's playing. Dunno if that was your intention tho. I like it anyway. Nice guitar interlude. It's a fucking long-ass song, but I can't object to it, hehe.

Oh fuck. Hoooly fuck. Did I say at the beginning that I have a strong weakness for 90s punkrock? This song has got everything a 90s punkrock masterpiece needs: Catchy hooks, great melodic chorus, in-your-face political lyrics, a slow interlude(which builds up, of course, continuing in the faster pace), a nice guitar solo, a great guitar riff which is with us from the beginning... just everything, this song is the exact type of songs that I can't resist. Carson, you did a great job and this might be the very best song of the whole mixtape to me. All of them are great, but this one is just.. wow. I'm not saying anything more. I love it.

Da Pantz - Elevators

Eh, what's this? Super Mario on crack? I was never familiar with this type of music, but it might fit good in an old Nintendo Game. Take that from a n00b point-of view. But I'm able to believe lots of people in clubs might enjoy this immensely.

Final words: I was really surprised how good this mixtape was. I listened to it several times and still didn't get tired of it. There were the things I was sure are gonna be good(The Ricetigers, Static Martyr, Kevin, Thibault....) and there were things I didn't expect much from but blew me away completely in how awesome they were(Black Freeway, Mspunk13, and mostly, Against Fucking Belief). Overall, there ain't a single bad song. But everyone already said that. So I better shut my trap. My review is over. And I fucking promise I'll finally be on the next one!!!

mrconeman
03-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Haha, I'm finding it so funny that Matt (my singer/Black Freeway) is getting called a female. I guess I can hear it in Better People, but in our other songs he has a much more gritty ...more AC/DC style vocal! Manly!

Llamas
03-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Haha, I'm finding it so funny that Matt (my singer/Black Freeway) is getting called a female. I guess I can hear it in Better People, but in our other songs he has a much more gritty ...more AC/DC style vocal! Manly!

He definitely sounds fairly female, and I'd probably think he was one if I didn't know better. :P But I'm the last person to think that a female-sounding voice is a bad thing... I like his voice and vocal style. It'd be weird if he sounded, like, feminine-gay, in a rock band like yours... but he's got an excellent rock sound.

mrconeman
03-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm definitely taking it as a compliment. All of my favourite rock singers have a distinctly female quality to their voice!

It was actually his voice that sold me on joining the band when I tried out for them, I just knew we'd go well together musically.

I'll stop derailing now though

bbsbbsbbs

Ryder1234
03-17-2010, 01:05 AM
Thread needs more feedback.

Ryder1234
03-20-2010, 02:25 AM
So I tried to shorten Standing Calm a bit... even I was having issues with the end being so long. I shortened a couple of things in the second verse too, and made the end way shorter. It's like 5:43 now I think.

http://rapidshare.com/files/365744285/standing_calm_ver_2__192_.mp3.html

dff_punk
03-22-2010, 10:24 AM
I just gotta say this, I was at a party with friends, you know, the usual getting drunk and stuff, and I played Against Belief by Against Belief on the music player. There was a pretty good moshpit afterwards, but still, the house the party was in was not destroyed. But the song really rocked on high volume!

Homer
04-20-2010, 04:57 PM
So, as this version's 'creator', I decided to hold off on writing up a review, as I spent so much time just on the technical aspect of everything that I believed that it would give me some sort of biased stance on it, which is why it took so long for me to finally get one done. So, without further adieu, here are my individual reviews. Though, it should be noted that the scores simply reflect my personal tastes in music, and how much I actually enjoy the song initially; they reflect other things that are separate from the text.

BBS Mixtape Vol IV
As I was putting the Mixtape together, I kind of felt the need to have some sort of intro. Starting it off with Fade Away felt a little incomplete, so I decided to write a short-ass song about the point of this Mixtape: musicians from all over the world coming together to put out some music. I also thought the idea of plugging in the instruments just as the song is about to start gave it that DIY feel. DEEP SHIT, MAN.

Fade Away
When I saw mspunk13's thread about needing a vocalist, I initially passed it off until he put up the instrumental for the song. As soon as I heard it, I immediately felt the need to sing for it! I did switch up a couple of the lines, and bit of the vocal melodies in some parts, but only because I liked the song that much. I felt as if it was one of my own (except 10 times better than anything I could write) and I had an extremely fun time recording the vocals. Great song, indeed! My only complaint was that last "Fade aaaaawwwwway" after the break-down. I couldn't figure out the timing at all! But, that's my problem, and not yours!

9.5/10

Sooner Or Later
I must admit, I haven't really kept up with The RiceTigers as much as I should have, but every time I hear a track, I instantly love it. Sooner Or Later is no exception. I immensely enjoy the break-ups of the fast paced punk with the more mellow beats and guitars; very NOFX. I actually look to Adrian's approach to writing music when I write my own, nowadays; I try and mix up a song with different tempos, add in highs and lows, and what have you! The only complaint I'd have for it is the mixing of the track. This isn't a huge problem, as it's just a technical one, and it's one I don't really have a simple solution for. Regardless, it's really good stuff.

9/10

Better People
Oh, good ol' Black Freeway strikes again! There's not really much for me to say on this one, as it seems that your band is pretty much set with what you guys are wanting to do. The mixing's all good and professional (as it should be), the song's catchy, and the instruments are all performed well. The only shitty thing I can say about it is that it was submitted as a .wmv file, and I wasn't able to convert it because of some protection on it. Sorry, people with Macs! Also, I don't think the vocalist sounds feminine at all, soo... yeah. Good guitar work, coneman.

8/10

The Answer
Thibault is back, and this time he's better than ever! Well, that's what I said to myself, aloud, after I heard this song. The Acoustica drums are sounding much more realistic, but could still use some work on that front; the vocals and backing vocals are probably the best I've heard from you, so far; and the mix of synth and guitar is just fantastic, not to mention that it's arranged quite nicely. My problem with the song is the mixing of it; it peaks all over the place. Though, I can understand fully with the amount of tracks you've got going on at once. If I somehow win the lottery sometime in the future, I'll make sure you get some studio time for your musical masterpieces.

8/10

High Life
This was a late submission (one week late, to be exact) and if it wasn't for my apathy and laziness for this project, this song would've never been on here! I'm glad it is, however, and what a song it is. When I first heard the riff along with the drums, I was just like "Yeah!" That pretty much sums it up. Love the message behind the lyrics, love the talking part (reminds me of Atomic Garden, or Beyond Electric Dreams by Bad Religion), and love the simplicity of it all. I'll admit to everyone, I did throw this song into a compressor when he submitted it (with his permission of course), and the loudness of the drums caused me to enjoy it even more. I don't listen to Queens of the Stone Age (which seems to be the influence, according to everyone) nor do I listen to anything remotely similar. However, I absolutely enjoy this track.

9.5/10

Thanks to the character limit, this review will continue on the next post!

Homer
04-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Cat's Cradle
When Mike submitted an old track that I've already heard before, I was instantly disappointed to the point where I scream-cried and threw a temper tantrum which caused me to destroy a good half of my room; the horror. However, this is a good song. The "fuck it" at the beginning of the track just confirms this theory; it might as well be the thesis for the way the song was performed, and I don't mean that as something negative. Quite the contrary, in fact. I love the way that everything seems like it was done in one take, even though that probably isn't the case. It gives it that DIY feel, even though the quality of the song is really damn good. It's horrendous, yet remarkable at the same time; it clashes. I can't explain it, but you've got something going for ya, kid. I especially enjoy the "Save our souls" portion of the song, where it's just some random, inaccurate beating on a drum, until it builds up to something great. Fuckin', World Tour coming up!

World Tour/10

Downtown
Again, I had the same fit that I had with Mike's song. This was one of the few tracks I had already heard from Brianna. But, at the same time, it's a good one. This is probably the most different track on the Mixtape. It has a real piano, it's slow and calming, and it features no distortion! My complaints for the song pretty much are the exact same as everyone else: the build-up at the end seems like it had no direction; just a louder performance of the instruments. Could've added more tracks, or what have you. However, the release of just the guitar and vocals is fantastic. The guitar is out of tune, yeah, but I don't find it to be a big problem. The vocals seem like they could've been more, especially those back-ups. The backing could have been more of a harmonizing track at a lower volume, but they suffice. It's my least favourite track on the Mixtape, but that's only because this is pretty much far away from the type of music I listen to. Keep up what you've been doing, however, as even my PUNX ears can tell that you've got talent.

6/10

The Unbreakable Miss Bridget (Putting Back The Pieces)
Static Martyr, for me, has always been too poppy for my tastes. This isn't to say that I don't enjoy the music, however, it just means that I can't really pursue the rest of the discography. If you present something to me, I'll listen to it. The instruments are performed exceptionally well as always, the harmonies are really well done, and the song has that hook that most punk needs. The only thing is that it is indeed a slow song; there's not really a build-up or a change in tempo. That's just my personal problem with it, as usually I'll hit the 'skip' button on tracks that are mellow like this, unless I'm willing to sit and enjoy them. The mixing could be better, as the guitars are a tad too loud, and there is some peaking in some spots. But overall, the mixing doesn't get in the way of listening to the song. I don't have much else to say, other than this one just isn't for me. I'm sure you guys do have a few bitchin', fast and loud tracks that are akin to our mutual influence of Bad Religion, and I'd love to hear it!

6/10

Standing Calm
When you told me that this submission was 7 minutes long, I was thinking that it could go one of two ways: 1. It would work well, and be diverse enough to justify the length, or 2. It would be a horrible, badly performed mess that drags on for too long. Fortunately, it wasn't the latter. However, the song doesn't really seem too diverse to justify the length. That's okay, though, because I think shaving maybe 1 or 2 minutes off of the song would make it the perfect length for the song, which I've noticed that you've already done. I have to say, however, that this song screamed All Apologies by Nirvana to me. But, hey, it's not like Kurt Cobain was a musical genius and wrote songs that would never have other songs sound alike. So, you get a pass in my books. The mixing is fantastic, and I still wonder how you're able to do it better than me. The instruments are performed well, but you still have room for improvement on the vocals. They need more energy, but you're pretty much already at that point. Not much else to say, other than writing a song that lasts 7 minutes is quite the risk, and sometimes just happens naturally. In this case, it seems to me that you just accidentally ended up with a 7 minute song, which happens to me quite often, as well. Not a detriment, but it shows that you're willing to put a lot of effort into something. Good work, and keep up the progress.

7/10

Against Belief
Okay, so a long time ago when this project first started, I had made a comment saying that I had a winner of a submission on my hands. After making the final product, I think I wasn't lying. Not to sound arrogant or pompous, but I'm pretty proud of this song. I know it's cheesy for a band have a theme song of some sort, but in my defense, I had originally wrote most of the lyrics back before the band had really begun. Of course, I've matured over the years, and tweaked the lyrics here and there, but the core of the lyrics still remains. I wrote the actual entirety of the song within probably one week or so. Normally, I'll spend about 6 months working on a song, but this one seemed to come naturally, and I'd like to think that it showcases my current talents in all fronts. I think I spent more time on the technical side of things than I did with actually writing and recording the song. I spent so much time just getting it to sound right in terms of mixing and compression. This song has more tracks than I had ever had in a song (specifically 12 different tracks) and I had to learn quickly how to make it all work. Still, I'll find a lot of mistakes or things I could've done differently when I listen to it, but I should probably just let go of that. I knew this song had to be important and performed well, as this is essentially why I started writing music. This is what Against Belief means, this is my message, and this is what I do. I'll quit now before I look like some arrogant mess, so I'll just say this: thanks for all of the compliments and praise; it really means a lot to know that people will actually listen to this on some sort of regular basis. I honestly believed that this song would get torn to pieces, but I was pleasantly surprised.

FUN FACT: I actually conceived the melody for the chorus accidentally when I was figuring out some harmonies for my cover of The RiceTiger's Bed Religion.

Elevators
I have to be honest. When I listened to this track, I had absolutely no idea on where to put it in the track listing (the last track seemed like the right place to put it, however). It's so different from anything else on the Mixtape, and it's something I don't even know how to critique. Is it chiptune music? I don't know, because most chiptune music I listen to is much less... "hardcore" than this. Is this hardcore chiptune music? I don't even know! Though, I must say that I have actually delved into the world of chiptune music, and have even used a tracker to make a couple of songs. I can't even begin to imagine how to recreate this track in a tracker. So, on a technical front, it's fantastic. I would never casually listen to this, however, as it just isn't me. I will recognize that it is a good song, though, and that you should keep doing what you're doing.

Confused, but delighted/10

Overall
This Mixtape is, I believe, the best yet. Even though some notable musicians are missing this time around, I still think we all pulled off an excellent entry into the series. As for my work on it, I'd like to think I did the best I could possibly do, and I sincerely hope that everything was organized conveniently for everyone's listening pleasure. I do admit that I could've done better and that I made a few mistakes (Brianna's name, and Static Martyr's lyrics), but dammit, I'm proud. Good job, everyone, and I'd love to do it again!

9/10
A+ WOULD DO IT AGAIN

Static_Martyr
04-20-2010, 06:31 PM
6/10

Static Martyr, for me, has always been too poppy for my tastes. This isn't to say that I don't enjoy the music, however, it just means that I can't really pursue the rest of the discography. If you present something to me, I'll listen to it. The instruments are performed exceptionally well as always, the harmonies are really well done, and the song has that hook that most punk needs. The only thing is that it is indeed a slow song; there's not really a build-up or a change in tempo. That's just my personal problem with it, as usually I'll hit the 'skip' button on tracks that are mellow like this, unless I'm willing to sit and enjoy them. The mixing could be better, as the guitars are a tad too loud, and there is some peaking in some spots. But overall, the mixing doesn't get in the way of listening to the song. I don't have much else to say, other than this one just isn't for me. I'm sure you guys do have a few bitchin', fast and loud tracks that are akin to our mutual influence of Bad Religion, and I'd love to hear it!

It's kool. That song is actually from a really slow, heavy, experimental album we (I) just finished, called "Hollywood Atheist" (which, I may mention, you fine folks can download in our topic (http://www.offspring.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1400145&postcount=378), should you feel so inclined~) with a lot of stuff that deviates from the norm of our usual material. There are a couple songs on there that are more "traditional" --- our cover of The Safety Dance has gotten some decent reviews locally --- although I try to toss up with regard to pacing (playing the same approximate drum beat and tempo more than two or three times on the same album, for me, kind of feels repetitive, and it makes me more likely to try other completely random stuff --- the downside of this being that the 'random stuff' doesn't always fit the flow of the album). So I can never have a Smash-type album with nothing but really fast songs (which is weird, because I really like those kinds of albums); I always have to throw in a ballad, or some weird acapella shit.

But anyways, that's why you'll see a lot less of the "hardcore" and traditional "punk" type of stuff from us than you used to --- that, and it used to be that I could only play a few things. You may notice a spike in slower songs with easy drum parts during the time when we first stopped using drum machine and started using real electronic drums, because I basically had to learn how to play drums from scratch --- The Underdog was one of the first songs from that period, for example.

As for the quality? Sorry about that....for one, I *still* can't figure out how to get my electric drum kit to record directly into my computer.....and on top of that, I still have the same shitty mixer that I've been using since the days of "Please Leave The Room." As a result, I can't control sound precisely enough to completely avoid clipping....the best I can do is clever editing, which I am also not very good at :(

Ryder1234
04-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Standing Calm
When you told me that this submission was 7 minutes long, I was thinking that it could go one of two ways: 1. It would work well, and be diverse enough to justify the length, or 2. It would be a horrible, badly performed mess that drags on for too long. Fortunately, it wasn't the latter. However, the song doesn't really seem too diverse to justify the length. That's okay, though, because I think shaving maybe 1 or 2 minutes off of the song would make it the perfect length for the song, which I've noticed that you've already done. I have to say, however, that this song screamed All Apologies by Nirvana to me. But, hey, it's not like Kurt Cobain was a musical genius and wrote songs that would never have other songs sound alike. So, you get a pass in my books. The mixing is fantastic, and I still wonder how you're able to do it better than me. The instruments are performed well, but you still have room for improvement on the vocals. They need more energy, but you're pretty much already at that point. Not much else to say, other than writing a song that lasts 7 minutes is quite the risk, and sometimes just happens naturally. In this case, it seems to me that you just accidentally ended up with a 7 minute song, which happens to me quite often, as well. Not a detriment, but it shows that you're willing to put a lot of effort into something. Good work, and keep up the progress.

Thanks man, it was completely accidental on how long it turned out haha. Usually I write songs based on the mood of the lyrics, so by that method the length of the lyrics usually influence the length of the song. Castaways is the only song where I wrote a shitload of lyrics and condensed it down to reasonable length, and even I couldn't believe I wrote all those lyrics in 3 days. Standing Calm took a few months to write, and there was less lyrics, but it's supposed to be a slowish song so it made sense when it dragged on. I also did base parts of it on All Apologies, so there's bound to be some resemblance. I was aiming to get something similar to No One Knows by Green Day when I made the bass riff, but it didn't turn out to be the same style.

I can't wait for the next mixtape... I would be all for starting it right now, hahaha. Anyone else want to? :P

Homer
04-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Stuff

Yeah, don't take it the wrong way. I recognize that it's good, and a lot of people love it. This particular song just wasn't for me. I did enjoy The Underdog a lot, however!

As for the peaking, I suggest looking into compression. Whatever program you use for your songs, I'm sure it has a compression filter to use. Just set a threshold of about -1db with an attack of 0ms, a release of about 100ms, and a ratio of 30+:1. That should eliminate a lot of the peaking.

ad8
04-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Sooner Or Later[/U]
I must admit, I haven't really kept up with The RiceTigers as much as I should have, but every time I hear a track, I instantly love it. Sooner Or Later is no exception. I immensely enjoy the break-ups of the fast paced punk with the more mellow beats and guitars; very NOFX. I actually look to Adrian's approach to writing music when I write my own, nowadays; I try and mix up a song with different tempos, add in highs and lows, and what have you! The only complaint I'd have for it is the mixing of the track. This isn't a huge problem, as it's just a technical one, and it's one I don't really have a simple solution for. Regardless, it's really good stuff.

9/10
I AM WAY TOO HAPPY FOR THIS! :D
But really, I'm delighted to read feedback like this. I admire NOFX's songs a lot and therefore appreciate being compared to them. I'm working on the mixing, but if you have any advice I'd be glad to hear it.
Fun fact: My bassist and drummer actually hate me for those tempo changes from soft, slow parts to the fast punk choruses, but whatever!

6/10
In this case I can only suggest you to listen to many other Static Martyr songs, for example "The Answer", "Mother & Father, Ordained", "Military Mind", "Hangman" and others. I've never seen Static Martyr as a "poppy" band, but I totally get what you're saying. They do have a lot of "poppy" songs, but those just create the great diversity that makes Static Martyr one of my favorite bands. I still enjoy their punk songs best, though.

Against Belief

FUN FACT: I actually conceived the melody for the chorus accidentally when I was figuring out some harmonies for my cover of The RiceTiger's Bed Religion.
Hehe, that's why it's such an awesome song:D
No but really, I can really relate to your feelings about this song. I have been trying to compress my main message that I'm trying to spread in one new song once in a while, but I didn't get many satisfieing results. I would be proud as hell if I managed to write a song that could sum up what I stand for and why I do it. And you did manage to do that, so kudos to you. I can also say that this one is clearly my favorite AB song to date.

Overall
This Mixtape is, I believe, the best yet. Even though some notable musicians are missing this time around, I still think we all pulled off an excellent entry into the series. As for my work on it, I'd like to think I did the best I could possibly do, and I sincerely hope that everything was organized conveniently for everyone's listening pleasure. I do admit that I could've done better and that I made a few mistakes (Brianna's name, and Static Martyr's lyrics), but dammit, I'm proud. Good job, everyone, and I'd love to do it again!

9/10
A+ WOULD DO IT AGAIN
Seconded.
Oh, Ryder: I'd be all for it. After Carsons effort with the fourth mixtape I'd be interested in giving it a try and creating a new mixtape. However, you're probably interested in doing it, too... aren't you?

Ryder1234
04-21-2010, 04:32 PM
We should see if we could put one out every 2 (or even 1) month. That way, people who missed the last mixtape don't have to wait 5 more months, and it's just plain fun to take part in. Plus, it gives me a bit more motivation to finish the song I'm working at at the time.

Llamas
04-21-2010, 04:39 PM
I don't mean to be a negative nancy, but I really feel like having one every 2 months or so will ruin the excitement and cause it to lose its appeal, especially because I doubt you guys will get very many people who are able to submit a song that frequently --> short mixtapes. There is such thing as too much of a good thing ;) Honestly, I say stick with twice a year. :)

ad8
04-22-2010, 07:52 AM
I don't mean to be a negative nancy, but I really feel like having one every 2 months or so will ruin the excitement and cause it to lose its appeal, especially because I doubt you guys will get very many people who are able to submit a song that frequently --> short mixtapes. There is such thing as too much of a good thing ;) Honestly, I say stick with twice a year. :)

Yeah, I think every two months would be a little too frequently. Although one mixtape every 4 months could work in my opinion.

T-6005
04-22-2010, 08:52 AM
We're doing it more often than every 6 months as it is. I like the current schedule, since we announce the new mixtape about 4, 4 1/2 months after we put out the last one, and that gives us a month and a half to finish or polish the songs we'd like to submit.

randman21
04-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I've been advocating every four months all along. It seems like the perfect amount of time.

Btw, why is it that the best Mixtape ever happens when I'm not in it? Hope that was a coincidence...but damn this whole thing was excellent. I'd actually pay for this! I listened to it when it was first uploaded and I'll try to get around to some feedback, but for right now, I just want to give a quick shout out to Kevin. I really liked the song (even the long version), not necessarily the most, but it was the greatest improvement imaginable from two Mixtapes ago, haha.

Ryder1234
04-22-2010, 05:01 PM
I just want to give a quick shout out to Kevin. I really liked the song (even the long version), not necessarily the most, but it was the greatest improvement imaginable from two Mixtapes ago, haha.

Haha, thanks man :) The ingredients were there to make a way better song before it even came into being though, haha :P

Improved at singing
Got a bass (this is good)
Had a really shitty personal experience before (good lyrics)
Improved at playing instruments in the last year
Learned to mix! (important)

All good, only thing I didn't have going then was the ability to write a short song, last two songs had been over 6 minutes and I could have wrote more. Thankfully now I have that under control, Castaways is a good example.

Haha, but thanks. And regarding the length of time between mixtapes. I do agree 4 months between announcements is perfect, with the month to work on it. But would you agree, everyone, that a part of you would like to be working for a song towards the mixtape, and get to hear a new all the time? lol, i guess I just love sitting down and listening to the new one for the first time.