PDA

View Full Version : My "Come Out Swinging" drum cover..!* =)

bhg_rulz2
03-03-2010, 07:14 PM
It´s only the drum sound, someone wanna record the guitar and mix it up? =) maybe vocals and bass?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsD00GvLfCo

let me know what ya think =)

Jojan
03-04-2010, 06:15 AM
You did not match the drum intro there prefect, but it's much better than what I would have done. It sounds very odd to just listen to the drums.

GuilhermeOffspring
03-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Nothing bad, dude...

bhg_rulz2
03-04-2010, 10:18 PM
You did not match the drum intro there prefect, but it's much better than what I would have done. It sounds very odd to just listen to the drums.

I know, I missed like, 3/4 of a second hahah, but anyway, thanks, you should cover it with bass, ur a good player =), it would be cool!

SåS
03-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Ive always hated Ron Weltly's punk beat.

Its got such a wierd bass drum signature, its so different from how Smelly from NOFX would play it. I think thats the only reason i dont like come out swinging and alot of other songs drum wise.

now onto the drum cover, good work :D

do you use a double kick pedal, or heel toe?

mspunk13
03-05-2010, 01:52 AM
SåS, Smelly's bass drum pattern requires much, much, much more stamina and much, much, much more skills. I'm sure Ron Welty, Atom Willard and Pete Parada would all be able to play it without ANY problems, though. (they were all able to play Session).

I think the reason behind it is, the aggressive NOFX bass drum pattern wouldn't be the best when it comes to relatively calm only-drums-bass-and-vocals Offspring verses ;)

As for the technique, almost every punk drummer uses the slide technique. And definitely no double bass drums. Like never ever :)

bhg_rulz2
03-05-2010, 08:52 AM

Its got such a wierd bass drum signature, its so different from how Smelly from NOFX would play it. I think thats the only reason i dont like come out swinging and alot of other songs drum wise.

thanks haha, I used double kick =)

Krojd
03-05-2010, 03:25 PM

And why would Nofx drummer play Come out swinging?

nameless
03-05-2010, 05:26 PM
i thought ron used to play the songs really well, the bass drum placement helped the song groove more whereas others just bash out the kinda eight note on the one and three and sixteenth note on the two and four - really bad description i know but you know what i mean! - it sounds fine with bands like nofx but with others, it doesnt work so well.

nice cover though, i enjoy seeing them but hate when i end up flicking through all the other ones advertised on youtube and spending ages watching them!

Thomas
03-05-2010, 05:47 PM
i thought ron used to play the songs really well, the bass drum placement helped the song groove more whereas others just bash out the kinda eight note on the one and three and sixteenth note on the two and four - really bad description i know but you know what i mean! - it sounds fine with bands like nofx but with others, it doesnt work so well.

nice cover though, i enjoy seeing them but hate when i end up flicking through all the other ones advertised on youtube and spending ages watching them!

That's the exact reason why Ron has always stood out among all other punk drummers for me. He's a musician, not a mindless thing that flairs his arms every which way as fast as possible.

Also, his technique and grip is near fucking perfect.

nameless
03-06-2010, 08:56 PM
well apparently his technique wasnt always so good... there was an interview with him after the release of conspiracy of one where he said he was always self taught and before that album was written, he hired a coach to help him with his playing. he said he was getting knots in his back and the coach helped him with new ideas to the way he held the sticks and the way he set the kit up!

SåS
03-07-2010, 09:33 PM
SåS, Smelly's bass drum pattern requires much, much, much more stamina and much, much, much more skills.

Well it dosnt really, i can do it fairly easy and ive only been playing for a year and a half.

and i agree with you how ron's punk beat fits with the songs, im really looking forward to pete prada's beat, it will be interesting :)

As for the technique, almost every punk drummer uses the slide technique. And definitely no double bass drums. Like never ever :)

Yeah i know, I do it, Double kick is for lame as heavy metal fans that wish they could play punk rock.

Ninty Man
03-08-2010, 10:02 AM
SåS, Smelly's bass drum pattern requires much, much, much more stamina and much, much, much more skills. I'm sure Ron Welty, Atom Willard and Pete Parada would all be able to play it without ANY problems, though. (they were all able to play Session).

I think the reason behind it is, the aggressive NOFX bass drum pattern wouldn't be the best when it comes to relatively calm only-drums-bass-and-vocals Offspring verses ;)

josh Freese? brooks wackerman?:D

To bh:

Nice cover, but you need to get the beat a little bit "cleaner" -hope you understand I'm not critizicing your work, just giving you tips

mspunk13
03-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Well it dosnt really, i can do it fairly easy and ive only been playing for a year and a half.
I can do it, too, but my leg gets tired fairly quickly. The bass drum part is also easy to f*ck up :)

im really looking forward to pete prada's beat, it will be interesting :)I think that Pete is a very creative drummer. I can't wait to hear his drumming on the next album.

Yeah i know, I do it, Double kick is for lame as heavy metal fans that wish they could play punk rock.
Indeed!

EDIT:
josh Freese? brooks wackerman?:DBut they don't use it for the beat, only for the fills;)

bhg_rulz2
03-08-2010, 08:31 PM
I can do it, too, but my leg gets tired fairly quickly. The bass drum part is also easy to f*ck up :)
I think that Pete is a very creative drummer. I can't wait to hear his drumming on the next album.

Indeed!

EDIT: But they don't use it for the beat, only for the fills;)

SO WHAT ABOUT THE COVER? =P haha =)

bhg_rulz2
03-08-2010, 08:32 PM
josh Freese? brooks wackerman?:D

To bh:

Nice cover, but you need to get the beat a little bit "cleaner" -hope you understand I'm not critizicing your work, just giving you tips

gracias compadre!, esque si está batallosón, le metí mas Bombos que la rola normal, me gusta más como suena con tanto bombo que le meto, y no nomás lo que Ron le metió en ese entonces =)

bhg_rulz2
03-08-2010, 08:33 PM

oops!...sorry, I don`t use 2 pedals, only my right foot hehe, you can see it on the video =)

SåS
03-09-2010, 12:37 PM
oops!...sorry, I don`t use 2 pedals, only my right foot hehe, you can see it on the video =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk2rK5QaU1c

so you do it like this?

(thats me in video btw)

mspunk13
03-09-2010, 01:09 PM
SO WHAT ABOUT THE COVER? =P haha =)
lol I'm sorry... Sometimes the bass drum work wasn't perfect, other than that, you rarely played anything off-tempo. Everybody has the right to fuck up from time to time. I like everything else about it, though, I think it was a great cover. I rated it 4* - because of the little mistakes and no backing track :)

so you do it like this?

(thats me in video btw)
Haha man you know we're both hijacking the thread... oh whatever :) You're using a single pedal, right? That's really awesome. I liked pretty much everything about this video. Well maybe the kick isn't always perfectly in tempo, but most of the time it's good ;) Anyway, I'd better shut up because I'm a worse drummer than you are.

Ninty Man
03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
gracias compadre!, esque si está batallosón, le metí mas Bombos que la rola normal, me gusta más como suena con tanto bombo que le meto, y no nomás lo que Ron le metió en ese entonces =)

Ja.,.. no me fijé que eras mexicano. Pues no es tanto por el bombo, sino porque te salías un poco del beat, como que le bajabas en partes al ritmo. Pero vas bien, sólo que los cuartos son de los tiempos más difíciles, por lo rápidos que llegan a ser

bhg_rulz2
03-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Ja.,.. no me fijé que eras mexicano. Pues no es tanto por el bombo, sino porque te salías un poco del beat, como que le bajabas en partes al ritmo. Pero vas bien, sólo que los cuartos son de los tiempos más difíciles, por lo rápidos que llegan a ser

jajaja simón wey, gracias compa, y simón me perdía, porque el volumen de los audífonos ya no daba pa más jajaja, pero gracias compadre! =) saludos de Sinaloa!

bhg_rulz2
03-09-2010, 09:30 PM

so you do it like this?

(thats me in video btw)

that's right, like that!...one foot and one pedal hahah

and you are a freaking really good player, congrats! exellent video =)

SåS
03-09-2010, 09:36 PM
lol I'm sorry... Sometimes the bass drum work wasn't perfect, other than that, you rarely played anything off-tempo. Everybody has the right to fuck up from time to time. I like everything else about it, though, I think it was a great cover. I rated it 4* - because of the little mistakes and no backing track :)

Haha man you know we're both hijacking the thread... oh whatever :) You're using a single pedal, right? That's really awesome. I liked pretty much everything about this video. Well maybe the kick isn't always perfectly in tempo, but most of the time it's good ;) Anyway, I'd better shut up because I'm a worse drummer than you are.

Haha thanks man :) yeah my tempo probally isnt great, ive only been playing for probally about 2 years now.

that's right, like that!...one foot and one pedal hahah

and you are a freaking really good player, congrats! exellent video =)

Thanks heaps aye, your video has actually inspired me to learn some offspring songs

nameless
03-10-2010, 05:25 PM
just out of curiosity while on the subject of the bass drum playing, has anyone tried covering session?!