PDA

View Full Version : It took THIS long?

RexDarr
03-22-2010, 09:11 PM
After a discussion with my social studies teacher, we decided that the US has FINALLY come to the conclusion that a black president is the same (or some may argue, better) than a white president.
During the election with Palin and Obama, I realized:
Its taken over 100 years before a woman and a black man ran for president. If you have not noticed, in 100 years neither a woman or a black man has been president, now we had both running in 1 election.

I don't mean to sound rude or offensive, but it seems to me that some American's are not happy with having a black president. Thinking that a black president is bad for the country, giving it a bad reputation.

If I may be so bold to say: Since he was elected it obviously shows that many people like what he says and believe in him. To me, he is doing America a favor. Compare him to almost any president, he has made a lot of changes and has put America in a better place.

We can all hope that he does not become like JFK or Martin Luther King Jr, who were assissinated for their beliefs in a free country.

Obviously some people believe that it is war that makes the world go around. But let me ask you this:
"Are we here for war? Peace? Or are we just evolution of a simpler organism?"

mario_spaghettio
03-22-2010, 09:19 PM
How many black Presidents has Canada had?

mario_spaghettio
03-22-2010, 09:21 PM
How has Obama put America in a better place?

IamSam
03-22-2010, 09:48 PM

But according to your demographics, Canada has no black people.

RexDarr
03-22-2010, 09:50 PM

Obama is very, very aggressively changing both the philosophical and practical approach to America's regulatory boards. Judis's money quote:

Obama’s regulatory appointments could not be more different—no surprise given that he is the son of two social scientists and that he once worked in academia himself. Indeed, the flow of expertise into the federal bureaucracy over the past year has been reminiscent of what took place at the start of the New Deal.

A few select appointments:
—to head OSHA, David Michaels, a professor of occupational and environmental health at George Washington University. Yup, an academic.
—to head the FDA, Margaret Hamburg, former health commissioner of New York City, where she oversaw a sharp decline in tuberculosis.

And how about more funding:

[Obama] asked for $10.5 billion for the EPA for 2010—a 34 percent jump over 2009, and the first time in eight years that the budget had increased.
So, maybe we all shouldn't be so depressed quite yet. Thanks New Republic! Thanks President Obama!

RexDarr
03-22-2010, 09:50 PM

None, but we arent talking about Canada, we are talking about the U.S of A

mario_spaghettio
03-22-2010, 10:02 PM
None, but we arent talking about Canada, we are talking about the U.S of AExactly. Zero.

mario_spaghettio
03-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Obama is very, very aggressively changing both the philosophical and practical approach to America's regulatory boards. Judis's money quote:

Obama’s regulatory appointments could not be more different—no surprise given that he is the son of two social scientists and that he once worked in academia himself. Indeed, the flow of expertise into the federal bureaucracy over the past year has been reminiscent of what took place at the start of the New Deal.

A few select appointments:
—to head OSHA, David Michaels, a professor of occupational and environmental health at George Washington University. Yup, an academic.
—to head the FDA, Margaret Hamburg, former health commissioner of New York City, where she oversaw a sharp decline in tuberculosis.

And how about more funding:

[Obama] asked for $10.5 billion for the EPA for 2010—a 34 percent jump over 2009, and the first time in eight years that the budget had increased.
So, maybe we all shouldn't be so depressed quite yet. Thanks New Republic! Thanks President Obama!None of that has made the US a better place. I'd rather have experts with REAL WORLD experience heading up important departments than academic egg heads with no real world accomplishments. Those who can do, those who can't teach. We now have an influx of "those who can'ts" running the fucking country. This place is going down the toilet fast.

RexDarr
03-22-2010, 10:25 PM
None of that has made the US a better place. I'd rather have experts with REAL WORLD experience heading up important departments than academic egg heads with no real world accomplishments. Those who can do, those who can't teach. We now have an influx of "those who can'ts" running the fucking country. This place is going down the toilet fast.

Come move to Canada, we have FREE health care :D

Moose
03-22-2010, 11:02 PM
May I ask how is your free healthcare?...are the waits long for appointments?...are there only selective medicines the government allows you to buy?...do you have to wait for serious surgery and other life saving stuff?...do the doctors get it right the first time, or do they suck?...also, what is the percentage of your tax dollars that goes to healthcare?...how does that work?...do they take it out of your paycheck?...what if you don't work?

since, in I'd say no more than 25 years, the US will totally bankrupt all private insurance companies and probably take over the pharmaceutical company...so I'm just curious into what I'm going to be involved with.

By the way, we have yet to have a hispanic or asian president...no jewish president either...nor mormon...not to mention many others...we are such a bad, bad country...very bad.

Harleyquiiinn
03-23-2010, 02:49 AM
I'm sorry but in terms of diversity, France is way more advanced than any other country:

We opened Presidency of the Republic to mentally handicaped people.

Take that America !

Anyway, on subject, when Obama was elected, I missed to see what the big deal was, beside the fact that he is black of course. But I didn't understand all that "Hope" thing. I got that after 8 years of Bush, people were expecting a lot... But that much noise around one man ?

Now, he passed that Healthcare bill. Maybe not as much has he wanted to, he had to compromise, but it is huge. I read this morning that 32 millions americans will have access to Healthcare thanks to that Bill.
Maybe he's not better than any other President and all that noise wasn't necessary. But he's definitely one good President.

WebDudette
03-23-2010, 03:11 AM
Are you implying that Sarah Palin ran for President? Moving along, you know why it is more likely for a white person to become president? Probably because they are 80% of the population. I don't want to take anything away from the fact that we elected an African American, I think it is great. But I mean, the odds are kind of stacked against them, even if Americans weren't a bunch of racists. Also, both women and African Americans have been campaigning to become president since the 1960's.

I mean, I kind of agree I guess. But I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say/I don't think you know what you are talking about.

mario_spaghettio
03-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Americans are far from a bunch of racists. Name one other country that has freely elected a President from an ethnic group that comprises less than 13% of the population? Europe is far more racist than the US. How many black Presidents has France had? Germany? Exactly. Game, set, match.

Moose
03-23-2010, 08:48 AM
I'm sorry but in terms of diversity, France is way more advanced than any other country:

Take that America !

Anyway, on subject, when Obama was elected, I missed to see what the big deal was, beside the fact that he is black of course. But I didn't understand all that "Hope" thing. I got that after 8 years of Bush, people were expecting a lot... But that much noise around one man ?

Now, he passed that Healthcare bill. Maybe not as much has he wanted to, he had to compromise, but it is huge. I read this morning that 32 millions americans will have access to Healthcare thanks to that Bill.
Maybe he's not better than any other President and all that noise wasn't necessary. But he's definitely one good President.

I do not believe director Mathieu Kassovitz would agree with you on your opinion of France...it seems to be that France has a lot of division inside of it...including "real" frenchmen and "fake" frenchmen...and the divisions of classes.

ad8
03-23-2010, 01:05 PM
How many black Presidents has France had? Germany? Exactly. Game, set, match.
Yes. EVERYONE WHO HAS NOT HAD AT LEAST ONE BLACK PRESIDENT IS FUKING RASCIST!!!!1

I'm not saying Germany is less racist than the USA or any country in the world, I'm just saying that one can't judge the "degree of racism" of a country like this.

Harleyquiiinn
03-23-2010, 01:24 PM
I do not believe director Mathieu Kassovitz would agree with you on your opinion of France...it seems to be that France has a lot of division inside of it...including "real" frenchmen and "fake" frenchmen...and the divisions of classes.

Where did I say that France had no division ? :confused: I just said in that other thread that I think pretty much all people agree that Social security is a good thing... right or left wing... At most, some guys will say that people should pay a little more for their health but I never heard anyone saying "Oh I think our public healthcare shouldn't exist !" (and I don't mean friends and family, I mean politics... even far right wouldn't dare...)

As for "real" and "fake" frenchmen, well, I'm not sure what you mean by that. I mean, I know what you mean but I don't see what's your point and why it is related ? The way I see it people who make that sort of disctinction are just racist assholes. And racist assholes unfortunately are found everywhere.

Edit: And kudos to you for knowing Kassovitz, he's great.

Edit 2: Oooooooh I got it ! That's because I said that France was advanced in terms of diversity ! lol ! Did you read the 2 lines after that ? :D This was a joke by the way...Sarko is not really mentally handicapped, you know... it's a shame though, it would explain a lot...

Edit 3: Ok about that distinction, I need to clarify. Yes there is a lot of discrimination in France, but I don't think I ever said otherwise... I don't see a black or arab guy being elected president before a hundred years at least... 150 for a black or arab woman.

Llamas
03-23-2010, 01:39 PM

Take that America !

So did we - remember Bush? :P Sorry, I had to.

The hype was insane. I remember waiting to hear him speak, and he drove by in his SUV - about 4 meters away from us - and all these girls started SCREAMING. I was like what the fuck. He's a politician, not a rock star. A POLITICIAN. The "hope" and "change" stuff... well, it's campaigning and clever marketing. Words that inspire. I admit the words got to me, though I didn't actually believe he was ever going to be able to undo all Bush's mistakes and really change the US. You are damn right about the bill, though - he made compromises, and the bill is far from perfect, but getting it off the ground and passed is a HUUUUGE step. One year after stepping into office. That's huge. And now people can no longer claim he has done nothing. Now they can only complain that they don't like the bill. Boo fucking hoo. Everyone agreed before that our health care needed help. Republicans just don't want Democrats to get the credit for it. Shut up and take it for the team.

Americans are far from a bunch of racists. Name one other country that has freely elected a President from an ethnic group that comprises less than 13% of the population? Europe is far more racist than the US. How many black Presidents has France had? Germany? Exactly. Game, set, match.

Did you think before you said this? First of all, Germany has had a female president for 5 years now. Has the US? Right, I guess the US is a bunch of sexist pigs, huh?

Furthermore,

Black population in the US: 12.4%
Black population in Germany: 7.2%
Black population in France: 3%

When 3% of your population is black, it's obviously going to be much less likely that you'll end up with a black president.

Harleyquiiinn
03-23-2010, 01:43 PM
So did we - remember Bush? :P Sorry, I had to.

The hype was insane. I remember waiting to hear him speak, and he drove by in his SUV - about 4 meters away from us - and all these girls started SCREAMING. I was like what the fuck. He's a politician, not a rock star. A POLITICIAN. The "hope" and "change" stuff... well, it's campaigning and clever marketing. Words that inspire. I admit the words got to me, though I didn't actually believe he was ever going to be able to undo all Bush's mistakes and really change the US. You are damn right about the bill, though - he made compromises, and the bill is far from perfect, but getting it off the ground and passed is a HUUUUGE step. One year after stepping into office. That's huge. And now people can no longer claim he has done nothing. Now they can only complain that they don't like the bill. Boo fucking hoo. Everyone agreed before that our health care needed help. Republicans just don't want Democrats to get the credit for it. Shut up and take it for the team.

Did you think before you said this? First of all, Germany has had a female president for 5 years now. Has the US? Right, I guess the US is a bunch of sexist pigs, huh?

Furthermore,

Black population in the US: 12.4%
Black population in Germany: 7.2%
Black population in France: 3%

When 3% of your population is black, it's obviously going to be much less likely that you'll end up with a black president.

Yes but black is not our most important "visible minority"... And well... to be honest, I don't see a President from one of the said minority before a loooong long time... France is really really traditionnal... I mean, Segolène who is "just" a woman had to bear all sorts of sneacking attacks during the last presidential elections...

(are you sure about that 3% ? because we have all the islands, and people from ancient colonies who immigrated... so it just seems weird to me... besides etchnical statistics are strictly forbidden here, so I am not sure this is accurate... may I ask where you found it ?)

And for that Bush thing, yes, sorry, my bad, America did it first :D

Jesus
03-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Sarkozy is a son of an immigrant father though, and also half jewish, and really short, and not worthy of your votes.

RageAndLov
03-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Sarkozy is a son of an immigrant father though, and also half jewish, and really short, and not worthy of your votes.

Sarkozy as president is the only way to have the privilege of seeing the First Lady naked .

Thomas
03-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Those who can do, those who can't teach.

I think you just crossed the line from "ignorant loud-mouth" to "fucking retarded". Congrats.

Also, I have a black friend, so that means I'm not racist, right?

Llamas
03-23-2010, 03:46 PM
Yes but black is not our most important "visible minority"... And well... to be honest, I don't see a President from one of the said minority before a loooong long time... France is really really traditionnal... I mean, Segolène who is "just" a woman had to bear all sorts of sneacking attacks during the last presidential elections...
Yeah, I think the same is true of pretty much all primarily-white countries. It's unfortunate :-/

(are you sure about that 3% ? because we have all the islands, and people from ancient colonies who immigrated... so it just seems weird to me... besides etchnical statistics are strictly forbidden here, so I am not sure this is accurate... may I ask where you found it ?)
I honestly found it on three different sites, one of which was the wiki article about France demographics. I don't know how accurate it is, but since it was on 3 different sites, I figured it was okay.

Just saw the comment Thomas quoted - that horribly overused and retarded saying about teaching. That statement is what's wrong with the education system. 99% of people who teach because they don't know what else to do are god-awful teachers, and frankly also can't teach. There needs to be a huge revamp of the education system that includes getting actually qualified teachers in there who know how to teach. Obama talked about doing this before he was elected... I hope he finds time to deal with it before the end of this term.

mario_spaghettio
03-23-2010, 04:56 PM
I think you just crossed the line from "ignorant loud-mouth" to "fucking retarded". Congrats.No actually I'm 100% correct in that statement.

mario_spaghettio
03-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I think the same is true of pretty much all primarily-white countries. It's unfortunate :-/

.How many predominantly black countries would elect a white President in a free election?

Static_Martyr
03-23-2010, 05:03 PM
No actually I'm 100% correct in that statement.

Not necessarily. There are those who both do *and* teach (as in, they teach now but either are or have been engaged in a career other than teaching that applies their professorial knowledge)....I've had several of them. They do exist :)

Thomas
03-23-2010, 05:09 PM
No actually I'm 100% correct in that statement.

This only means that you must have had a shitty education, which would actually explain a lot.

wheelchairman
03-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Mario doesn't know what correct, fact, or reality are. He constantly misuses those words.

Oxygene
03-24-2010, 04:20 PM

Well at least not everyone wants to kill you now...