PDA

View Full Version : I need suggestions and your opinion!!

Lord Phidias
03-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Ok, I originally posted this on the "your band" section, but no one's helping at all, so I figured I should post it here to get more feedback... anyways, here it it is:

Hey, I'm making an Offspring cover band, Ive been an Offspring fan for 10 years now, and I know plenty of their songs (in every instrument, hehe), we've rehearsed for 4 times now, but I'm not sure about the setlist, the band's purpose is to play in a local bar/rock concert hall, like Hard Rock Live, so I included almost every single and a couple B sides that the fans would enjoy but I'm not so sure the regular audience will. Ok, here's the current setlist:

Hammerhead
Original Prankster
Want you bad
All I want
She's got issues
Pretty Fly
Kids aren't alright
Come out and play
Spare me the details**
Gone Away
Self Esteem
Stuff is messed up**
Why don't you get a job?

I'm thinking about these too:

You're gonna go far kid
Kristy are you doing ok?**
Hit that
Can't get my head around you
Can't repeat**
Beheaded**
Bad Habit**
Trust in you

The ones with ** are songs my band doesn't think we should play at all (if it was for me, we would play all of 'em, but I think that an over an hour setlist would annoy the audience). Well, now I would appreciate if you guys help me out making up my mind with your suggestions, points of view and stuff. Thank you!

T-6005
03-28-2010, 08:25 PM
Were this three months ago, you'd have realized that one of the Your Band rules is not to ask for names for your band - the assumption runs that your creativity is at such a low level that you can't come up with your own band name.

Not that I necessarily agree with that, of course.

Lord Phidias
03-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Dude, can you please tell me where am I asking for suggestions for my band's name?? Seriously, you need to improve your reading comprehension, because I don't want your opinion for the band's name, it's just a cover band made for the only purpose of having fun playing The Offspring songs and to play in the local bar because I really like that place and I always have a blast in there, so I figured that I would have even much more fun if I played there, cause there are tributes to a lot of bands all the time, last week's tribute was to the Foo Fighters, and those guys kicked ass... maybe we just won't have any band name, just "Offspring Cover Band" maybe, or I could go with "The Offspringers", just for the occasion... still haven't decided, but anyways... I'm not breaking any rules, cause I'm not asking for help naming my band, so, If you would like to post your opinion about the songs I want to play, well, do so...

T-6005
03-28-2010, 09:22 PM
You know what, you're totally right. My apologies. I don't know why I thought I read that.

I swear I'm usually better with this kind of thing, don't know why I failed so spectacularly this time. I am sorry.

I hope you'll forgive my momentary lapse of reason - it's my birthday and I'm hammered. So I'd appreciate it if it was possible for us to start over.

Were I watching a live show I'd love to hear The End of the Line and Conspiracy of One. Those are two songs I feel are - if not underrated - then underperformed in a live environment. Special Delivery is another one that I like too.

Admittedly these aren't the types of songs non-fans would like to hear. All the same, were you just to play the singles you'd probably get bored quickly, so why not switch it up halfway into the show with some strong non-single tracks?

Krojd
03-29-2010, 06:39 AM
Ok, here's my setlist:

1 - Gotta Get Away
2 - All I Want
3 - Dammit, I Changed Again // Want You Bad
4 - Kick Him When He's Down // Dirty Magic
5 - Pretty Fly
6 - Hammerhead
7 - Self Esteem
8 - Burn It Up
9 - Beheaded
10 - Gone Away
11 - Can't Get My Head Around You
12 - Come Out and Play
13 - The Kids Aren't Alright

Songs you definitely shouldn't play:

Kristy, Are You Doing Okay?
Spare me the details
Original Prankster
She's got issues
Stuff is messed up

And songs you could:

I'll Be Waiting
Session
Bad Habit
Mota
One Fine Day
Hit That
You're Gonna Go Far, Kid

Lord Phidias
03-29-2010, 12:10 PM
I hope you'll forgive my momentary lapse of reason - it's my birthday and I'm hammered. So I'd appreciate it if it was possible for us to start over.

Apologies accepted!! I will definitely play strong non-single songs, but I don't know which ones... that's why I'm asking for your opinion! :)
Thanks!

Ok, here's my setlist:

Spare me the details
Original Prankster
She's got issues
Stuff is messed up

And songs you could:

I'll Be Waiting
Session
Bad Habit
Mota
One Fine Day
Hit That
You're Gonna Go Far, Kid

Thanks for your suggestions!! I will totally go with Bad Habit, Hit that and YGGF,K. Oh, and why do you think I shouldn't play the songs you're telling me not to? I'd love to read the reasons!! :)

Free?
03-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Here's a tricky suggestion. Ask audience what Offspring songs would they like to hear and if you'll get any responses play them. I can see the downsides of the idea, but it's just a suggestion, see yourself if you can pull off something like that.

Lord Phidias
03-30-2010, 12:58 AM
Yeah, I think I can do that... I'll start asking my friends and acquaintances about which wongs they'd like to listen, then I could probabbly make a poll in the bar I want to play, I go there like twice a month, hehe... Thanks!

Krojd
03-30-2010, 02:33 AM
Thanks for your suggestions!! I will totally go with Bad Habit, Hit that and YGGF,K. Oh, and why do you think I shouldn't play the songs you're telling me not to? I'd love to read the reasons!! :)

I think these songs aren't so good for a live show like the others. That's all, I guess :D

Lord Phidias
03-30-2010, 11:18 AM

Spare me the details
Original Prankster
She's got issues
Stuff is messed up

Ok!! I think I'll spare Spare me the Details (rofl... I'm lame...), stuff and kristy, but I have to play OP, It's not gonna be just the guitars, bass and drums, I'll include a percussionist and keyboard as well!! Its gonna be a well produced performance! Oh, and SGI because the guys really like that song, we used to play it like 8 years ago, when we were damn kids, it takes us back...:)
Thanks!

Krojd
03-31-2010, 03:10 AM
Sounds good! Do you guys have some records / videos? I would like to hear your band :) Or you can take some videos at the club.

Lord Phidias
03-31-2010, 11:26 AM
There are no recordings yet, but I plan to tape the event, and maybe a rehearsal , and maybe another presentation before the event... oh man, I'm thinking about this all day long, I'm very excited!!:D

Lord Phidias
08-15-2010, 04:12 AM
Well... my project is in a hiatus right now because the other guitarist is working fulltime now... but it's not dead, so... I've been thinking about this a lot, for the last 4 months or so, and I changed (again) the setlist, I think it is PERFECT now:

0-CO1 intro
1-Hammerhead
2-OP
3-YGGF,K
4-All I want
5-(CGM)HAY
6-Pretty fly
7-Bad Habit
8-WYB
00-Intermission (gonna have to rest my voice and have a couple Ricola cough drops...)
9-HYE?
10-SATS
11-Genocide
12-Hit that
13-SGI
14-CO&P
15-WDYGAJ?
16-Self Esteem
18-TKAA

Seriously, make a playlist with this songs and you'll see why I'm saying it's perfect... well, I would like to hear your oppinion, thanks!

offsrx
08-15-2010, 09:11 AM
I've always wanted to make a "Offspring tribute band" but I still don't have any right bandmates/people for that job. So my next suggestions are:

-Great job on making that idea come true

-Don't ask audience while preforming what song to play. That's lame and U'll born the audience to death, because it'll look like U are not sure what are U doing on stage, and that you are not a confident musician

-Don't worry about what's audience is going to think of what songs you should play. Just play songs. If you play it correctly - they'll like it

-As for the set list - It's great to play b- sides songs, and ballads. If you have enough equipment and people to do any offspring song (and you should have 2 guitarists, bass, drummer, singer, keyboard), just play them.

-Mine opinion is that you should play Bad Habit and Can't repeat
:)

andrea.
08-23-2010, 05:08 PM
I've always wanted to make a "Offspring tribute band" but I still don't have any right bandmates/people for that job. So my next suggestions are:

-Great job on making that idea come true

-Don't ask audience while preforming what song to play. That's lame and U'll born the audience to death, because it'll look like U are not sure what are U doing on stage, and that you are not a confident musician

-Don't worry about what's audience is going to think of what songs you should play. Just play songs. If you play it correctly - they'll like it

-As for the set list - It's great to play b- sides songs, and ballads. If you have enough equipment and people to do any offspring song (and you should have 2 guitarists, bass, drummer, singer, keyboard), just play them.

-Mine opinion is that you should play Bad Habit and Can't repeat
:)

I agree with all of that. ^^ :)

_Lost_
08-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Well... my project is in a hiatus right now because the other guitarist is working fulltime now... but it's not dead, so... I've been thinking about this a lot, for the last 4 months or so, and I changed (again) the setlist, I think it is PERFECT now:

0-CO1 intro
1-Hammerhead
2-OP
3-YGGF,K
4-All I want
5-(CGM)HAY
6-Pretty fly
7-Bad Habit
8-WYB
00-Intermission (gonna have to rest my voice and have a couple Ricola cough drops...)
9-HYE?
10-SATS
11-Genocide
12-Hit that
13-SGI
14-CO&P
15-WDYGAJ?
16-Self Esteem
18-TKAA

Seriously, make a playlist with this songs and you'll see why I'm saying it's perfect... well, I would like to hear your oppinion, thanks!

Seriously, learn to type out real words... Wtf is SATS?

Also, End of the Line is totally underrated as a live song. I would literally kill to hear the Offspring play it live.

Outerspaceman21
08-23-2010, 10:06 PM
All I can suggest to you dude is go with your gut. Play whatever songs you like, man.

Lord Phidias
08-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Seriously, learn to type out real words... Wtf is SATS?

Also, End of the Line is totally underrated as a live song. I would literally kill to hear the Offspring play it live.

Staring At The Sun

NOOB!

dexterone
08-24-2010, 02:28 AM

0-CO1 intro
1-Hammerhead
2-OP
3-YGGF,K
4-All I want
5-(CGM)HAY
6-Pretty fly
7-Bad Habit
8-WYB
9-HYE?
10-SATS
11-Genocide
12-Hit that
13-SGI
14-CO&P
15-WDYGAJ?
16-Self Esteem
18-TKAA

I would definitely play Long way home...it's very fast and very catchy for audience...and I would skip Hammerhead,but that's just my opinion :D too long song and kinda boring...and I like your idea with She's got issues,it's a cool,but underrated song...and it's really tough to sing this song...and maybe instead of staring at the sun I'd play Leave it behind...but,that would be just my choice,so keep it,how you want it to be :) I'm looking forward to some records...
I've got one question...do you tune down your guitars before the concert or do you play it same as in original ? I'm just curious,because you need to have a great singer to manage She's got isuues....good luck,man :)

Lord Phidias
08-24-2010, 11:16 AM
I would definitely play Long way home...it's very fast and very catchy for audience...and I would skip Hammerhead,but that's just my opinion :D too long song and kinda boring...and I like your idea with She's got issues,it's a cool,but underrated song...and it's really tough to sing this song...and maybe instead of staring at the sun I'd play Leave it behind...but,that would be just my choice,so keep it,how you want it to be :) I'm looking forward to some records...
I've got one question...do you tune down your guitars before the concert or do you play it same as in original ? I'm just curious,because you need to have a great singer to manage She's got issues....good luck,man :)

Well, it's a tough job, but I can accomplish singing in standard tuning (E A D G B E), I think the songs sound much better that way rather than pitching them down, the only song that gives me trouble is WDYGAJ? I guess I'll have to pull that one half step down, but I'm considering taking that one out of the setlist, I'm not really sure... I want some trumpets, man! And the steel drum!!

Thanks for your luck!

ArtificialLife
08-24-2010, 11:34 AM
As an Offspring fan, sure this sounds like an awesome idea. However, I can't imagine your average bar scene being thirsty for an entire set of Offspring covers. Most people won't know a lot of the songs, and bars (generally) look for bands to play a variety of well known songs from many bands. Being in an Offspring cover band could be a lot of fun since you are playing great songs from a band you love, however I'm not so sure it's the best idea if you are actually looking for gigs.

Walla_Walla 93
08-24-2010, 07:59 PM
I would keep Spare me the Details and Can't get my Head around you. I'm a little iffy on Stuff is messed up, I say this because I know that those 2 songs i suggested you keep will keep the crowd entertained even if they don't know offy but Stuff is messed up is more of a song that probly won't go over too well with a casual listener.