PDA

View Full Version : Alice In Chains

joshridesbikes199
03-29-2010, 03:12 PM
...Up there with the Offspring and Metallica in my book.

Following post is my favorite albums and opinions on the band. Do whatever you want just as long it's relevant.

Sooo.....my fav albums are: Dirt, Alice In Chains, Facelift, and Jar of Flies.

For those of you who don't know, Alice in Chains is a 90s grunge band that recently made a comeback with a new singer after the old lead, Layne Staley, died of drug issues a couple years ago.

My friends listen to them also, and we've had some controversial discussions on whether it was right for AIC to bring in a new guy, and if their newest album deserves the respect that it's past albums have.

...If you're bored enough and want my opinion, here it is:

I have no problem with the fact that AIC is making a comeback. I'm just in high school, so i was not around when they were making their older stuff, or at least i was too young.
I've been listening to them for a couple years now, same with the Offspring.

When I heard that they were coming out with their newest album, Black Gives Way to Blue, i was ecstatic. This was a band that had had their core musician die, and after several years were going to try to pick themselves back up.

I bought the album as soon as it was released, and personally, I wasn't disappointed. I was'nt thrilled either, but it scored a B- on my scale.

This is where the real controversy comes in. If you go on iTunes and scroll through the hundreds of reviews of their newest album, you will find a very wide range, from "wtf where did this black guy [William Duval, the new singer] come from", to "great job aic, keep it up, don't let Laynes death slow you down."

I think that William has some very big shoes to fit. I don't think he will ever be able to fit them 100%, but so far hes at 40% with me. Layne had his own unique style that NOBODY can, or will be able to copy. William has added his own personal flair to the group.

...But one thing that really pisses me off is that soooo many people who claim to be true fans of AIC are totally bitching about the newest album, saying that it's too mellow and is a disgrace to Layne's memory.

Yes and no. Yes, it is more mellow than some of their older albums. But go listen to Jar of Flies. That is one of their more mellow albums.
And it is NOT a disgrace to Layne, in fact, the song (and album title) Black Gives Way to Blue, is a TRIBUTE to Layne. Some people need to learn before sharing with the class.

...So that was my take on them.

If anyone else listens to them, or has comments, or whatever, go ahead. I'm listening.

Rooster
03-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Black Gives Way to Blue is (for me at least) the best album of the past decade. I even put it aboce QOTSA's Songs For The Deaf, and that's really saying something. I'm listening to the album regulary since it's release last september (bought it a few days after it came out), and it still hasn't gotten old.

If they want to continue under AiC name, why not? It's not ruining layne's legacy at all. There could never be replacement for Layne Staley, even if he wasn't the primary songwriter of the band. They just want to continue making music and asked DuVall to join them as a new vocalist, it's as simple as that. Some people make it seem like if there would be some competition between Staley and DuVall, but they're just making fools of themselves.

Layne will be missed, but AiC is still great.