PDA

View Full Version : Artist of the Month, April 2010: KD Shelton

ad8
04-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Intro
First off, totally happy to be selected. I haven't recorded much of anything in a good while because life has interfered. I am KD Shelton, otherwise known as Karin. I finally managed to complete a song four years after learning to play guitar. I've gotten a lot of great feedback from everyone around here.

Musical style
well pretty much everything original that i've managed to record is acoustic. Its not that I'm really into acoustic or anything, but I just can't create drums. Without drums, I can't really stand electric stuff. In reality, I'm very into heavy heavy heavy guitars. You may have noticed that if you listened to stuff is messed up on the covers album. I think that is the only recording i've done with my amp involved. There is nothing I want more than to record Unwanted with drums and bass and my amp roaring on top.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty much a crap guitar player. I'm definitely a singer first. I manage alright, but you won't see me play much of anything well without lots of practice.

Musical background/influence/whatever
I don't know. I like The offspring... I like the Who... but I can't really name anything in particular that really influences how I write. You can't find anything in my music library that could explain the soft acoustic crap I tend to write. I think a lot of that translates into "its easier to get out my acoustic and play than to set up my and and such to play"

Downloads

Shit... I have to reupload every thing...

the originals that I have recorded are on www.myspace.com/kdsheltonmusic

My internet connection won't let me upload anything. i'll need to go to a starbucks or something to upload the rest.

ad8
04-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Congratulations! I think you should pick up your guitar and record some new songs since I really enjoyed what you did so far.

_Lost_
04-03-2010, 09:57 AM
I would definitely be happy too. I need to reglue the bridge on my acoustic. Once I get the right kind of glue I should be good to go.

Oh and I definitely need to record something with my Tele. I've not had the chance to record with her yet at all. She's sexy. nom nom nom

I'm pretty much all kinds of excited about this.

EDIT: This isn't all is a song I worked on with LLamas.

Static_Martyr
04-03-2010, 01:33 PM
I was wondering when they'd finally put you up for AoM. I still have a CD burn from all the stuff you had in your topic awhile back for road listenin' purposes and such. Although I actually like that it's mostly softer acoustic-type stuff; most of the other BBS bands I listen to are straight-up hardcore/punk (like Against Belief), or at least more heavy and experimental (like Ricetigers). It gives some diversity and range to my BBS comps :) Although sadly I only know the titles to like 1 or 2 of them, because I never bother to label the tracks on my BBS CDs (except Ricetigers, and even that's only because they have the custom label thing that was just too pretty to pass up~).

So yeah. Happy AoM, well-deserved, and will be looking forward to new stuff! I was sad for awhile because it seemed like you had quit altogether :(

Llamas
04-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Don't blame me, I voted for Karin.

Uhh... thanks for giving me credit for this isn't all :P It would be awesome if you could get your shit back up and going and pump out some more tunez, yo. I See is still my favez.

Static_Martyr
04-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Don't blame me, I voted for Karin.

Oh, yeah?! Well, I voted for her like four times!

...and then I forgot to visit the topic again for like four months....

EDIT: Seems like the list has gotten longer recently. Kickass!

Blitz!
04-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Well done Karin, definitely well deserved :)
I agree with Brianna and Tim, new tunes are required.

JohnnyNemesis
04-04-2010, 08:29 PM
The fact that I got AoTM before Karin did is fucking criminal. This is long overdue and I also eagerly await new t00nz.

_Lost_
04-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Ricky, I blush!

I've got most Friday nights to myself now, so I'll definitely be getting reaquainted with my guitar.

Homer
04-04-2010, 11:04 PM
A well deserved win!

P.S.
I didn't actually know that you and I were tied when I jokingly voted for myself.

PLEASE DON'T HATE/HURT ME; I'M FRAGILE

_Lost_
04-05-2010, 08:07 AM
A well deserved win!

P.S.
I didn't actually know that you and I were tied when I jokingly voted for myself.

PLEASE DON'T HATE/HURT ME; I'M FRAGILE

We'll settle this later. :mad:

ad8
04-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Bump. Remember, this poll is still running and I think there are a little more people on this forum than replies in this poll;)

T-6005
04-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Um, did I totally miss that Karin was AoTM? That's just criminal.

I'm a big fan of some of what Karin has done. I See is my runaway favorite, inspiring me to record a terrible cover of it, but in case I haven't mentioned it I also really like Unwanted. Production values aside, there's just some good solid songwriting behind most of what Karin does, the kind of thing you can put almost any backing to.

I think the only song I didn't like was an instrumental you submitted once, but other than that I'm really looking forward to seeing what you'll do next.

Llamas
04-28-2010, 05:03 AM
I'm a big fan of some of what Karin has done. I See is my runaway favorite, inspiring me to record a terrible cover of it, but in case I haven't mentioned it I also really like Unwanted.
I agree (except I didn't cover I See), and also liked Stay a lot (which I kind of started to cover and then gave up).

Production values aside, there's just some good solid songwriting behind most of what Karin does, the kind of thing you can put almost any backing to.
So true.

_Lost_
05-08-2010, 06:59 AM
hahaha! thanks!