PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Magic has a darker meaning?

disclaimer_07
04-07-2010, 05:48 AM
Taking into account what Mota was about, and besides the obvious interpretation of Dirty Magic as portraying a guy involved in a bad relationship with a girl, we could as well assume it's about drug addiction. Dexter may be referring to drugs just like to a seductive girl. Especially the chorus part, when he says:

Pull the shades - he's ashamed of what he's doing, doesn't want anybody else to see it
Razor blades - as used to cut a line of coke or whatever
You're so tragic - he may be even mocking himself for not being able to stop it
Hate you so, but love you more - he clearly hates what he's doing, yet each time it gets the better of him

Also:

She said, come over right away - remember that bong calling his name in Mota?
See her put on her brand new face - may be simply talking about being/getting high, now the world looks totally different

And maybe something from the second verse:

It's all a cloudy kind of daze - having blurred vision or something?
She's not so sweet today, she mocks me, I'm no fighter - now he's strung out, has no power left, "she" wins again

Well, enough.

I'm not saying it was Dexter's intention, but what's so good about most lyrics is that they're always open to interpretation. The beauty remains in the eye of the beholder. Anyway, I don't do drugs myself so my knowledge here is quite limited. But I can still see some undeniable references.

dr.vanessa
04-07-2010, 06:26 AM
i'd certainly agree.nothing has only one meaning:cool:

Hombre
04-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Interesting interpretation!I don't even have thoughts about this kind of viewing Dirty Magic.

Powerh
04-07-2010, 07:11 AM
what about the new electric version of Dirty Magic ?

randman21
04-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Very good, disclaimer! I've never thought about it that way. I sort of like that interpretation more than the accepted one, though one could make any song mean just about anything if you think hard enough. Interesting...

nameless
04-07-2010, 06:24 PM
i never thought about the razor blade lyrics in that way, i was thinking he was referencing cutting but not drugs!

Harleyquiiinn
04-08-2010, 12:00 AM
Hey at first when I read yesterday I thought "well... ok...".. I didn't really have the lyrics in my head... but I listened to the song while coming back for work and trying to get your interpretation and yes, it's a pretty good one.

In my opinion, it's a bout a weird girl but that interpretation could very well fit. Nice one :)

Noodles 4 Noodles
04-08-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm not 100% on this, but I've always just assumed it's about being in a relationship with a girl who won't put out. think about it, that's one common denominator all the phrases have

seogardenisland
04-08-2010, 11:09 PM
no things gonna be perfect.

_Lost_
04-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Very good, disclaimer! I've never thought about it that way. I sort of like that interpretation more than the accepted one, though one could make any song mean just about anything if you think hard enough. Interesting...

Meh, i think this one fits better than a relationship. Its occurred to me before, but I've never gone so far as to break it down like disclaimer did.

Offspring-Junkie
04-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Dirty Magic has a ... dirty meaning.

amyk
04-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Taking into account what Mota was about, and besides the obvious interpretation of Dirty Magic as portraying a guy involved in a bad relationship with a girl, we could as well assume it's about drug addiction. Dexter may be referring to drugs just like to a seductive girl. Especially the chorus part, when he says:

Pull the shades - he's ashamed of what he's doing, doesn't want anybody else to see it
Razor blades - as used to cut a line of coke or whatever
You're so tragic - he may be even mocking himself for not being able to stop it
Hate you so, but love you more - he clearly hates what he's doing, yet each time it gets the better of him

Also:

She said, come over right away - remember that bong calling his name in Mota?
See her put on her brand new face - may be simply talking about being/getting high, now the world looks totally different

And maybe something from the second verse:

It's all a cloudy kind of daze - having blurred vision or something?
She's not so sweet today, she mocks me, I'm no fighter - now he's strung out, has no power left, "she" wins again

Well, enough.

I'm not saying it was Dexter's intention, but what's so good about most lyrics is that they're always open to interpretation. The beauty remains in the eye of the beholder. Anyway, I don't do drugs myself so my knowledge here is quite limited. But I can still see some undeniable references.

What I want to know is:
1. What kind of drugs are YOU taking?
and
B. Will you share?

For Real
04-12-2010, 04:51 PM
I actually love this song. Me being so positive and what all, I tend to focus on the part where he sings "but love you more". Awww. Whatever the songs lyrics mean, it sounds like there are acute struggles, but that the outcome is positive. I love love songs/movies/events like this, because it is so transformative - like cuddling up with loved ones during a hurricane and then seeing clear sky.

Okay, so I tend to go on too much about song meanings, etc. I'm a visionary, I could say lots more (and often do on other musical boards), but I'll just stop there.

Love the song. :)

chicapowerpunk
04-12-2010, 06:24 PM

Could it be,this lyric should be in the thead "publish dark lyrics",really think hammerhead,may be another dark lyric,mmmmm:confused:

TheOldMark
04-18-2010, 01:41 PM
i always intepretted it as dating a girl with a cocaine addiction.