PDA

View Full Version : dexters replica guitar

weezly
04-07-2010, 07:16 AM
finally finished a replica of dexters guitar, took 200 hours to build it but it sounds good, its not me playing it, cause i suck.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Krojmbbnc

Zee
04-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Fuck yeah!

And that'll be mine soon after I buy it. Looks and sounds really good, awesome work it seems!

I'm getting the exact stickers on it, so after that it should really be a truely replica guitar of Dexter.

Thanks!

Jojan
04-07-2010, 07:55 AM
It doesn't sound like Dexter's guitar.

Zee
04-07-2010, 07:57 AM
It doesn't sound like Dexter's guitar.

Well he doensn't play The Offspring. :D

Jojan
04-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Well he doensn't play The Offspring. :D

What are you talking about? Dexter plays The Offspring.

Zee
04-07-2010, 08:03 AM
What are you talking about? Dexter plays The Offspring.

To be technical, Offspring plays Dexter. Get your facts straight. :D

Hammerhead_
04-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Which model of RG series ?

weezly
04-07-2010, 09:31 AM
i built the whole thing myself so its no RG model, blast it through some marshall amps it would sound pretty offspring..

Hammerhead_
04-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Maybe you know this but after all i'll say ;

You shouldnt hope for hear Dexter's tone. Cause he uses RG series and he has a special pedals and sound settings :) So you have only replica but that is awesome. Congratulations

Little_Miss_1565
04-07-2010, 09:53 AM
I wish you could see the guitar more in that video! I'd love to see your work.

RexDarr
04-07-2010, 03:55 PM
A few years ago Ibanez issued a magazine that featured Dexter's and Noodles' guitar's. Look on my profile and you will see my replica of Noodles' with autographs from Dexter, Pete Prada and of course Noodles.

I believe I still have the magazine somewhere. I think it was the 2007-2008 December issue.

weezly
04-07-2010, 04:53 PM
yeah but by the same token its made to duplicate a similar sound, i was really really lucky i got some of best mahogany you could ask for, the body is 1 piece and superlight with great tone, the fretts are filed for good playabilty, the nuts hand made, the neck joint is tight, this really is a good guitar.

weezly
04-07-2010, 05:05 PM
yeah but by the same token its made to duplicate a similar sound, i was really really lucky i got some of best mahogany you could ask for, the body is 1 piece and superlight with great tone, the fretts are filed for good playabilty, the nuts hand made, the neck joint is tight, this really is a good guitar.
the pick ups are the same as dex'S but at the end of the day i just wanted to make a great playing n sounding axe!

Ryder1234
04-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Nice job man!

I made one in a RG builder site and paint before... haha

http://offspring.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=426&pictureid=7084

Some things I wasn't so sure of, such as the turquoise colored sticker in the upper right, I couldn't figure out what that was from pictures of the guitar.

RexDarr
04-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Nice job man!

I made one in a RG builder site and paint before... haha

http://offspring.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=426&pictureid=7084
I understand that this guitar was created on the internet using programs but I will never understand why people put stickers on their guitars... If you don't like the sticker anymore you are left with a sticky mess that looks horrid on the guitar...
I've seen guitars at pawn shops that are so cheap because they have stickers, and they have been there forever!

weezly
04-10-2010, 05:48 AM
so if dex was to auction off his personal guitar it wouldnt sell? lol

Ryder1234
04-10-2010, 06:36 PM
I understand that this guitar was created on the internet using programs but I will never understand why people put stickers on their guitars... If you don't like the sticker anymore you are left with a sticky mess that looks horrid on the guitar...
I've seen guitars at pawn shops that are so cheap because they have stickers, and they have been there forever!

Well, there are cleaning agents that are designed to remove that stuff left by stickers, those people must have just been to lazy to clean them. I've had my guitar coated with stickers many times and then got bored of them and took them off, and the paint was still fine once I cleaned it.

RexDarr
04-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Well, there are cleaning agents that are designed to remove that stuff left by stickers, those people must have just been to lazy to clean them. I've had my guitar coated with stickers many times and then got bored of them and took them off, and the paint was still fine once I cleaned it.

Isnt the cleaning agent expensive?

Ryder1234
04-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Haha nope, this is the stuff I use, Goo Gone, you can get it at Canadian Tire for $2.99

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/3/CleaningToolsVacuums/SpecialtyCleaningProducts/PRD~0530150P/Goo%252BGone%252BCleaner%25252C%252B236mL.jsp?loca le=en

Stza
04-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Which model of RG series ?

I believe its an RG 570

RexDarr
04-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Haha nope, this is the stuff I use, Goo Gone, you can get it at Canadian Tire for $2.99

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/3/HouseHome/3/CleaningToolsVacuums/SpecialtyCleaningProducts/PRD~0530150P/Goo%252BGone%252BCleaner%25252C%252B236mL.jsp?loca le=en

I had Goo Gone for a while.
I use to buy used CDs from a place called Recordland and they would stick security tags on the back, which were a bitch to get off. Goo Gone got the tag off but left a huge sticky mess

Ryder1234
04-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Huh, weird. What I did was peel as much of the sticker off as I could, then I'd have the sticky residue left. You put on the Goo Gone with a cloth, let it soak for a while, then take the cloth you put it on with, and wipe it with a some more Goo Gone till it's all gone. Then you wash of the goo gone with a wet rag or something.

apg1
04-13-2010, 03:27 PM
I believe its an RG 570

DISCLAIMER: This is what I've gained from reading interviews and online research, but I'm very familiar with the Ibanez guitar lines so I'm 99% sure on the instruments.

Until RAFRAG, pretty much all of Dexter's guitar's are Ibanez custom shop. Most seem to have Ibanez Prestige necks some with custom inlays, like his corregated metal topped Ibanez. (Note for RAFRAG Noodles mentioned that Bob Rock got Dexter using a 60's era single pickup Gibson SG in conjunction with his standard Ibanez gear).

In general, they are the 570 base, but probably really a custom RG1570.

Noodles is the same way, the Talman's he plays are no longer made, except for his Signature modes the NDM1 and NDM2. But the ones you buy from Ibanez are not truely the same as he usually plays. (At least until RAFRAG where he is using the standard NDM2). As the NDM1 and NDM2 are hard tail bridges and do not have tremolo's however, if you look at live videos on YouTube many of his Talman's do have the Tremolo.

As a note, I've seen video of Noodles playing both a NDM2 with and without the Tremolo too. His Talman's are based on the TV/TC lines. The TV750 is what the NDM2 is modeled after and the TC850 is basically what the NDM1 is modeled after.

To truely get the offspring sound, as I saw someone else mention, both Dexter and Noodles have custom set ups. Dexter uses a mix between a Dimarzio Tone Zone and a DiMarzio Super Distortion, along with Mesa Mark IV's. Noodles used much the same set up in his Talmans until RAFRAG where he's documented and using the stock INF1/INF2's. Noodles uses mainly Mesa Mark IV's are well.

With RAFRAG involving Bob Rock seem to change alot of the sounds and equipment, including VOX amps, Marshall JCM20000 and a Dime Bag Darrell Krank amp.

Also, of note, in the same interview mentioned above, Noodles mentioned that he's not big on pedals and effects, he seems to prefer the raw sound of the guitar and amp (except in a few cases).

The best info I've found for getting the details on thier setup is here in this Noodles interview:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/offsprings_noodles_i_dont_care_to_argue_how_punk_i _am.html

As a side note, I've got a NDM1, NDM2, RG1570 and RG550 w/ a Tone Zone to try to model thier tone and with a little amp tweaking they do a decent job getting thier sounds running through a Peavey Vyper Tube 120.

weezly
04-15-2010, 08:20 AM

Harleyquiiinn
04-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Weezly, I just wanted to say that I think it's incredible that you are building guitars... This is definitely the kind of things I would like to learn. :)

weezly
04-15-2010, 09:13 AM
well when your ready to do it give me an email i will explain to you whats actually involved... its a huge task but so rewarding...
the only thing not fun about building this guitar was having a time limit, i only just finished it in time, and that did take the fun out of it a little bit....things dont go to plan when u have to race.

apg1
04-15-2010, 10:09 AM
there is no way an ndm guitar resembles noodles guitars, i have an ndm2 and i build guitars, i know what corners are cut in factorys, the guitar i built is in the hands of one of the worlds best guitar builders at present and he scored it 10 out of 10 for playability and sound.... thats a huge comment from the first guitar i ever built!
if your asking whats different between a factory ndm and a custom
-neck joins
-materials- eg noodles may use a one piece body, where as i dont know how many bits of wood are glued together for an ndm... its ok to glue wood together but sometimes i have heard factorys gluing up to 7 pieces together... there goes tone n sustain
- the bridge and the nut are made usually of cheap materials
-fretts are not levelled or filed

this is not to say an ndm is a bad guitar, as this is standard procedure unless you want to spend shitloads of money... i personally cant say how an ndm is built i havent been to the factory, but this is generally the norm in guitars under 1000euros, one good thing about my ndm it does have a tight neck join.
just remember when it comes to guitars, they are not the same, for example one ndm could be awesome and one could sound bad, this is the nature of wood, and wood selection, no 2 trees are the same.
the ndm is still an ok guitar, but i would rather have paid more and it made in japan than korea.

Agreed, I was saying it was meerly a dopplerganger for the one he uses, but not up to par with his own.

I also have a older TV850, which is the actual Japanese model with the Kent Armstrong pickups, and it's resoncore body. However, even it isnt the same as the Talman's noodles plays since his are not resoncore to the best of my knowledge.

apg1
04-22-2010, 01:38 PM
So I was watching a Offspring vid today on Youtube with them live @ Yahoo, and at 1:09 of this vid, you can see Dexter's guitar head, and if you look close you'll see the Prestige cursive above the Ibanez logo, so validation that at least that one is a Prestige neck and setup. So probably a 1570 with custom inlay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxJ76px7IzU&playnext_from=QL&playnext=4

Zee
01-13-2011, 08:01 AM
I just got the "official" ;) Dexter signature guitar, it sounds awesome, thanks weezly! Now I need to get the stickers...

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4291/dexsigf.jpg

Tijs
01-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Bigger pic please :)

edit: wow, how long exactly was between starting this project and finishing it (stickers excluded)?

weezly
01-14-2011, 12:24 AM
wow cool! yeah it wasnt that it took sooo long to build but the weather was so cold in sweden and i moved back to nz so it had to be sent through a 3rd party, but main thing is it sounds good!! it took about 200 hours, keep in mind it can take 2 hours to drill 4 holes into a guitar, because it needs to be so exact... i am working on 2 new guitars now :)

weezly
01-14-2011, 12:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Krojmbbnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAQSsFKH9b0&feature=related

Zee
01-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Bigger pic please :)

edit: wow, how long exactly was between starting this project and finishing it (stickers excluded)?

It's still incomplete. ;) No but maybe I'll do an Offspring cover video at the same!

Compared to my previous guitar the improvement is huge! Great work. And it's just so sexy looking guitar.

Jojan
01-15-2011, 07:06 AM
maybe or maybe not.

Nice tautology.

codberg
01-15-2011, 09:20 AM
I just got the "official" ;) Dexter signature guitar, it sounds awesome, thanks weezly! Now I need to get the stickers...

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4291/dexsigf.jpg

Wheres the official one ive looked for ever and can never find them just the noodles ones.

weezly
01-21-2011, 11:38 PM
thats because its "unofficial" i made it for zee, but there will never be a repeat of this guitar, from me at least, zee has the one and only, i just make custom guitars or my own desig guitars now days.