PDA

View Full Version : Owl City - always a little late...

Harleyquiiinn
04-11-2010, 12:24 PM
I am just hearing Fireflies for the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psuRGfAaju4

I like it very much... This is crazy how much I like it...

But I'm not surprised... I am not talking about any rip off... because well... it's not...

But this song could be a Bonus track on Give Up ! Seriously... it sounds so much like The Postal Service ! No wonder I love it... Even the voice sounds like Ben Gibbards... does he have a clone or something ?? :eek:

Llamas
04-11-2010, 12:37 PM
It's Postal Service with a whinier/more annoying singer. haha, I don't think it's a ripoff, either... but I can't get into this guy's voice one bit. I do love PS, though.

Stza
04-11-2010, 06:14 PM
I am just hearing Fireflies for the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psuRGfAaju4

I like it very much... This is crazy how much I like it...

But I'm not surprised... I am not talking about any rip off... because well... it's not...

But this song could be a Bonus track on Give Up ! Seriously... it sounds so much like The Postal Service ! No wonder I love it... Even the voice sounds like Ben Gibbards... does he have a clone or something ?? :eek:

Stop listening to that band.

mrconeman
04-11-2010, 10:11 PM
It sounds like it was made to be awful deliberately.

Harleyquiiinn
04-11-2010, 10:48 PM
lol, and I thought I was a snob :D

mrconeman
04-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Seriously, Lostprophets are now safe, theres a new level of criminally bad music.

Llamas
04-17-2010, 08:44 AM
Seriously, Lostprophets are now safe, theres a new level of criminally bad music.

Shit. This is still a few levels better than Nickelback or Hinder, though. And I think I'd rather be caught listening to this than Lostprophets... hmm, that's a tough call.

ThunderPX
04-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Hey fuck you, Fake Sound and Start Something are awesome albums.

coke_a_holic
04-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Lostprophets are bad, Owl City is worse, coneman speaks truth.

Seriously, just listen to The Postal Service and ignore this plagiarized garbage.

Llamas
04-17-2010, 10:06 AM
*Listens to a Lostprophets song*

*Listens to Owl City*

Fuck. I'm seriously gonna have to call this a wash.

The more times I listen to that Owl City song, the more baffled I am by its massive success. And the video is the most annoying thing ever.

Edit: I rather enjoyed this parody of Fireflies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6hu0wsdNwU&feature=fvst

Stylie
04-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Owl City's actually become one of my favourite bands. It all started with Fireflies here too. I was a bit sceptical at first, but after listening to it a couple of times I was totally hooked. It just sounded nicer and nicer.

Owl City got sooo many nice sounds in their songs, like I never heard before. So chilling, yet party-full. I'm not into techno-stuff, but this electropop is just so cool. All the melodies, all the small and special sounds. So, so nice!

Sky Diver, This is the Future, Meteor Shower etc. are some examples of those really chilling songs...

My favourite party song; this remix of Hello Seattle is awesome (yes he made it himself, it's not fan-made). At 2:10, it just blows you right off, such powerfull bass! It really kicks ass if you listen to it on some good loudspeakers and a good subwoofer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHxxtWJovzQ&hd=1

Llamas
04-19-2010, 02:48 PM
I just found this:

[The Postal Service] released a record in 2003, and that was it. There was really nothing to compare it to until some one else came along and wrote the next chapter. Maybe that's this record. Maybe that's this band.
—Adam Young (Owl City)

Douche? Douche.

Harleyquiiinn
04-20-2010, 12:02 AM
Completely.

Also, I listened to the whole album and it is incredibly pretentious to say it's the next chapter to The Postal Service. It sounds a little bit like it, sometime, but it's not nearly as good and creative.

Still liked it though. It's not a bad album. Just not as good as The Postal Service

Llamas
04-20-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm surfing around youtube, listening to various Owl City songs... I was hoping that Fireflies was his gayest song, and maybe he actually did have stuff that sounded like Postal Service. In conclusion, if it wasn't for his voice and huge desire to sound like Postal Service (he really tries hard but repeatedly falls short), he wouldn't be so bad. And his other songs are generally better than Fireflies. That song is just horrid.

And I just watched this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpAgRjBRzcc

I was under the impression that he played instruments... and shit, his voice sucks live.

Sorry, not trying to rag on a band you seem to like Clara... but he's just... *ugh*!

Stylie
04-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Just listened to The Postal Service, after reading this thread. Actually never heard of them. And yeah, I can see the similarities, but they're still (way) different. I'm not a fan of TPS after listening to some of their songs, at all. On the other hand, I really like Owl City's melodies and sounds. So nice.

And btw, check out some other live videos of Owl City and you'll see he's not that bad. Everyone has a bad day, we all know that, even Dexter has. I'm just glad Owl City don't use autotune/playback at their live shows. I rather listen to real live singing, even though it can be a little bit worse - but as we know, probably 99% of all artists doesn't sing as good as on CD. That's the magic of a live performance.

Harleyquiiinn
04-20-2010, 12:48 PM
So basically, it's like for Green Day and Offspring. We can't like the 2 things because people say it's close and compare them ?

One thing is sure, The Postal Service is one of my favorite bands, and it's not about to change.

I don't like Owl City nearly as much as The Postal Service but saying it's garbage is a little exagerated I think. I mean it is possible, just possible, that you are snobs and that you don't like it just because it became popular and The Postal Service is not quite as popular. So it sounds cool to say "Oh man, Owl City ? That's crap ! it's not even the real thing ! The Postal Service, that band that you probably don't know because only real music lovers know it, is so better !"

llamas> Don't worry ;) As long as you don't say Eels is crap, I'm fine. That's my limit :D
Also, I realized he was from Seattle so when I said to you I liked the way the guy from Owl City speaks, I think I probably just liked the accent from Seattle lol.

Llamas
04-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Just listened to The Postal Service, after reading this thread. Actually never heard of them. And yeah, I can see the similarities, but they're still (way) different.
Yes, they're very different. That's why it's so annoying that Owl City tries to so hard to compare themselves to PS.

I'm just glad Owl City don't use autotune/playback at their live shows.
But they use autotune on the album... which is a giant no-no for me. Cheating.

I rather listen to real live singing, even though it can be a little bit worse - but as we know, probably 99% of all artists doesn't sing as good as on CD. That's the magic of a live performance.
I'd also much rather listen to real, live singing... which is why all my favorite singers sing better live than on their albums :)

Offspring actually fell out of first place for me after I heard them live. Live performance is what makes a band/singer for me. I don't care what you can do with studio magic.

Edit: In reply to HQ:

Postal Service is not some unknown band... their music is used in ads and other huge media. I think most people know about PS. Also, I haven't seen anyone acting like PS is better because they're less famous currently...

I'm not really familiar with the Eels, so I've no opinion there. :)

Harleyquiiinn
04-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Edit: In reply to HQ:

Postal Service is not some unknown band... their music is used in ads and other huge media. I think most people know about PS. Also, I haven't seen anyone acting like PS is better because they're less famous currently...

I'm not really familiar with the Eels, so I've no opinion there. :)

Oh really ? :D Absolutely nobody knows the Postal Service here, but a lot know Fireflies apparently :D

Stylie
04-20-2010, 02:21 PM
I absolutely agree with you, Harleyquiiinn. And yeah, it may be something like Green Day and The Offspring I guess..
And oh, he's from Seattle? Hah, that explains the song "Hello Seattle". Always wondered why Seattle...

I really don't like autotune either, ilovellamas. In fact, I hate it. What a nauseous invention... But hey, who doesn't use autotune in the music business nowadays? Only rockers and countryartists, I guess. So it's cool for me if Owl City use it on their records, I can't even hear he/they use it.. =o Can you?

And yeah, I understand your thing with live performances. But in 95% of my time discovering new music, I hear it from albums, not live performances. Therefore it's just a good bonus if they're really good live, you know... Hm, no, that sounded weird. Of course, if they SUCK live, I won't like them either. You gotta be good live, otherwise you're not a real artist. Like...go shoot yourself instead.

coke_a_holic
04-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Okay, a couple things:

Owl City writes music that mimics The Postal Services' and then he writes fairly boring lyrics that seem to scream "MY FAVORITE MOVIE IS THE NOTEBOOK!! I WILL GIVE YOU ORAL SEX AND THEN TELL YOU THAT I'M OKAY AND DON'T NEED IT!!!"

He's really lame, his lyrics are kind of ridiculously cutesy and lack any kind of fire or conflict or anything in that respect. It's just innocuous, trite shit. The Postal Service write songs that evoke pain, love, wanting, needing, and multi-dimensional feelings. That's the difference. That's why I say he's terrible in comparison.

And part 2:

Okay, listen, you can't say autotune a "disgusting invention" then give this joker a pass on it because you like him and because everyone else is doing it. That's hypocritical TO THA MAXXX, just like this guy trying to say he's "doing his own thing," and when enough people call him out on ripping off the Postal Service, he tries to defend himself TO THE MAXXXX. What a cunt.

To fix this, you have to either accept autotune for what it is, or say that you don't like the fact that he uses autotune and wish he would stop. Can't have it both ways.

Oh, and while on the topic of autotune: even your "rockers" and "countryartists" use autotune. Sorry, bro. If you don't want autotune in your shit, I suggest sticking to bad music. That's what I do. It's much nicer over here.

Llamas
04-21-2010, 01:07 AM
I really don't like autotune either, ilovellamas. In fact, I hate it. What a nauseous invention... But hey, who doesn't use autotune in the music business nowadays? Only rockers and countryartists, I guess. So it's cool for me if Owl City use it on their records, I can't even hear he/they use it.. =o Can you?
I can hear that they use it... and furthermore, most artists I listen to don't use autotune, and they're not "rockers" or "countryartists". :) You saying that almost sounds like you're claiming that nobody is actually a good singer, haha. I don't care if you like the same music I like, but here are some great examples of non-rockers/country artists who can sing without autotune that I'm really into:

Regina Spektor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDQaOk45fH0
Imogen Heap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25VGdNU3nrU
Rilo Kiley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmXohgKLzQc
Damien Rice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xdO44DJQAQ
Tinted Windows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jopV4Y3iKiI&feature=related

Hell, even Death Cab for Cutie doesn't use auto tune (Death Cab is the singer from the Postal Service's current/popular band):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl6Cq2mOUF8

And Postal Service didn't use autotune, either! :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVg7Rs6909A

Sooooo yeah, tonnnnns of excellent artists don't use autotune... just cause some assholes use it doesn't mean we should generalize the entire music scene. :)

And yeah, I understand your thing with live performances. But in 95% of my time discovering new music, I hear it from albums, not live performances. Therefore it's just a good bonus if they're really good live, you know... Hm, no, that sounded weird. Of course, if they SUCK live, I won't like them either. You gotta be good live, otherwise you're not a real artist. Like...go shoot yourself instead.

For me, I can love your albums to death and think they're the greatest songs ever written... but if I go see you live and you suck live and clearly don't have any performance talent, I'll very quickly lose interest. My favorite artists sound the same live as on record, if not better, and that's very important to me.

And I definitely can't like a musician who uses auto-tune... in any regard.