PDA

View Full Version : Katyń

Pepsaj
04-12-2010, 05:34 AM
I just wonder... What do you, people from all over the world know about Katyń?

Did the saturday tradegy changed anything about that?

ad8
04-12-2010, 12:21 PM
I have to admit that I don't know too much about "Katyn". I guess when you say "Katyn" you're referring to the Katyn massacre when soviet russian troops killed polish people (first soldiers, then many civilians) during world war 2.

wheelchairman
04-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Eh the massacre at Katyn isn't uncommon knowledge to people with an interest in WW2 or Soviet/Polish history. I'm not entirely sure what you want to discuss (what is there to discuss?)

As for the plane crash, when I first heard the news I instantly thought of the reaction of the Russian government.

"Oh shit, people are gonna think we did it!"

But nah this is a tragic event.

Pepsaj
04-13-2010, 06:31 AM
Eh the massacre at Katyn isn't uncommon knowledge to people with an interest in WW2 or Soviet/Polish history. I'm not entirely sure what you want to discuss (what is there to discuss?)
What is there to discuss?? As I said before. I just wanted to know what "normal" people (not historians) know about genocide in Katyn.
I was just thinking do they know who was killed there, when, why, how many people etc.

batfish
04-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Embarassingly, I didn't know what it was until Saturday.

And I study Russian :o

It's something my hostess never mentioned when I was there - however she said people complaining about Stalin's genocide were "making a mountain out of a molehill", so I think she's pretty patriotic and didn't want to mention / believe in the Katyn massacre.
And our un-patriotic history teacher there spent the ww2 lesson talking about wooden cars. No mention of Katyn.

wheelchairman
04-13-2010, 02:05 PM
What is there to discuss?? As I said before. I just wanted to know what "normal" people (not historians) know about genocide in Katyn.
I was just thinking do they know who was killed there, when, why, how many people etc.

Well you can pretty much guess that most people without an interest in the areas of history it touches won't know much about it. I don't want to demean the suffering of the Polish people by any means, however its just simply not too relevant to most people's educations. It might get a mention in history class, but its far overshadowed by the other tragedies that happened during WW2.

I am of course talking about the viewpoints of Westerners though, I would imagine people growing up in Eastern Europe have a different viewpoint and would be more knowledgeable about it.