PDA

View Full Version : Columbia Contract

malepunker
04-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Considering they signed for a certain amount of albums with columbia, the contract could be getting to an end by now. Does someone know how many albums they signed for?

Also, do you think that when the contract with columbia ends they will start recording with Nitro records? And is it possible that with Dexter's label the Offspring will have more freedom? Or do they already have that?

Little_Miss_1565
04-14-2010, 07:58 AM
It doesn't sound like they're particularly oppressed on Columbia at all. Considering Nitro hasn't released a record in a long time, I don't know if that would be the right move for them. A lot of bands are self-releasing these days, but that doesn't mean that every band should. Some do a lot better with major label teams behind them. I have no idea if that's the case for them with Columbia, but considering they've had the opportunity to do it all themselves and haven't yet done so, maybe they're happy where they are.

malepunker
04-14-2010, 10:02 AM
What about the number of records? Does someone know something about that?

cool 2 hate 681
04-14-2010, 03:38 PM
What about the number of records? Does someone know something about that?

dexter has said that after the next album their contract with columbia is over

here is a interview from 2008 where he talks about their contract

http://www.mediafire.com/?rtwizzzyjdt

jacknife737
04-14-2010, 06:08 PM
^ Although they technically could resign, and may have already.

But who knows what they'll do; the major label thing seems to have worked out pretty well for them.

nameless
04-14-2010, 06:15 PM
i think the future will depend on how the new album is received. they have always said they dont want to be releasing albums that people arent buying but then again it would have to be really bad for them to quit. maybe they could do an album of b-sides and covers!

malepunker
04-14-2010, 07:13 PM
I like this idea... and who knows they are keeping some special songs to release with nitro. Maybe some heavier and more old school stuff hehe...

Little_Miss_1565
04-15-2010, 08:55 AM
I like this idea... and who knows they are keeping some special songs to release with nitro. Maybe some heavier and more old school stuff hehe...

I think this might be closer to wishful thinking than reality... :)

malepunker
04-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Yeah but it's a possibility. I'm not as interested in this next album as to what might happen next.

TheOldMark
04-16-2010, 09:50 AM
If I recall correctly, they have one more record left on their Sony contract. What they do from there is anyones guess.

I would NOT like to see them go the way of Pennywise and just go push their mp3s out for free without a label. (Or "myspace records"). I dont believe this would work for the Offspring. They need the major promotion, or they need to release on Nitro. Id expect to see something released on Nitro in the next 5-10 years.

Omni
04-16-2010, 11:13 AM
What leads you to believe that, Mark?

RexDarr
04-17-2010, 11:06 PM
How come Offspring dosent use Nitro as their record company (anymore)? They own it.
Would it be royalties or something? Possibly more media attention?

I know that other punk bands like Juggheads Revenge, AFI, Bodyjar, Guttermouth, One Hit Wonder, and No Trigger are (or were) on Nitro records.

I am completley aware that Offspring re-issued "The Offspring" in 1995 under the Nitro label, but that is all I know about them releasing something on Nitro.

I am also aware of the compilation albums:
"Go Ahead Punk, Make My Day"
"The Thought Remains the Same"
"Punkzilla"

Isnt Epitaph records owned by Brett Gurewitz of Bad Religion?

Little_Miss_1565
04-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Yes, it is, Rex.

From what I can tell, the only band currently signed to Nitro is No Trigger, and they put out a record a few years ago. The last website update was in September of 2009, that Bodyjar was breaking up. Nitro was super active when I was in high school and I loved picking up all the samplers. It's how I got into AFI and all kinds of good shit. But when I was in college, AFI left when they got big, reportedly at Dexter's urging. So it could be the Offspring would be too big for Nitro. I don't know. But I feel like if they were going to start running the show themselves, they probably would have started already. They could of course surprise me.

RexDarr
04-18-2010, 10:53 AM
Couldn't Offspring be like the "poster-child" and be the top band on Nitro but have the smaller bands advertised more?
Sort of like a "bigger brother" type of thing?

jacknife737
04-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Well the thing is, as LittleMiss already mentioned, Nitro has pretty much become a "catalog" music label, meaning they don't really put out new albums anymore. It just wouldn't have the infrastructure to deal with putting out and distributing an album by a band the size of the Offspring.

Not to mention, there are advantages of being on a major label: ie having close connections to mainstream radio, and mtv/much music, ect.

TheOldMark
04-18-2010, 01:39 PM
1565 hits it on the money. AFI needed to be pushed off Nitro because the label couldnt handle them and would only hold them back. Art Of Drowning was a huuge deal for Nitro, and they were totally slammed.
I mean, Dexter didnt force them to sign with Dreamworks and get all hot topicish and rip off U2. He claims he just pushed them out for their own good. (as I recall, he flew down to a show in Phoenix to give them the boot).

Point being, Nitro cant handle The Offspring. Sure, they can release stuff there when the sony contract is up, but they wont get the distribution and promotion they should have.

I wasnt aware Nitro has essentially died out. Wow. I wonder whatsup with that. Hot sauce too time consuming?

RexDarr
04-18-2010, 07:21 PM
1565 hits it on the money. AFI needed to be pushed off Nitro because the label couldnt handle them and would only hold them back. Art Of Drowning was a huuge deal for Nitro, and they were totally slammed.
I mean, Dexter didnt force them to sign with Dreamworks and get all hot topicish and rip off U2. He claims he just pushed them out for their own good. (as I recall, he flew down to a show in Phoenix to give them the boot).

Point being, Nitro cant handle The Offspring. Sure, they can release stuff there when the sony contract is up, but they wont get the distribution and promotion they should have.

I wasnt aware Nitro has essentially died out. Wow. I wonder whatsup with that. Hot sauce too time consuming?

Is Nitro considered a "bad-guy label?" Or is it just that the bands don't like the way Nitro opperates?

jacknife737
04-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Is Nitro considered a "bad-guy label?" Or is it just that the bands don't like the way Nitro opperates?

I really doubt it has anything to do with either of those.

I think Nitro`s situation has more to do with the current state of the music industry (ie, people not buying music anymore) than band`s not wanting to stay with the label. It probably just got to a point where it wasn`t financially viable to put out new music and invest in new bands.

Nitro bands that have moved on to other record labels and are still active and making music (ie AFI, A Wilhelm Scream) never have anything bad against the label.

RexDarr
04-19-2010, 03:33 PM
I really doubt it has anything to do with either of those.

I think Nitro`s situation has more to do with the current state of the music industry (ie, people not buying music anymore) than band`s not wanting to stay with the label. It probably just got to a point where it wasn`t financially viable to put out new music and invest in new bands.

Nitro bands that have moved on to other record labels and are still active and making music (ie AFI, A Wilhelm Scream) never have anything bad against the label.

So then Nitro could be dubbed as a "beginners record label?". I am saying that soley on that Nitro bands have moved on to other record labels.

Little_Miss_1565
04-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Not necessarily. Nitro is a small, independent label. Right for some bands, not right for others.

RageAndLov
04-19-2010, 08:23 PM

The Letters Organize on the other hand...

Little_Miss_1565
04-19-2010, 08:39 PM
The Letters Organize on the other hand...

The very nature of the business means that there will always, always, always be bands talking shit about the labels to which they are or were signed. Sometimes the bands are totally right, the label fucked up. Sometimes, they're delusional. Hard to tell which is the case unless you know firsthand.

Berzerker92
04-19-2010, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see The Offspring resign on Columbia. Nitro is too small for a band like that. I don't know where else they could go...

Off topic I'm planning on sending demos of my band and my brothers band to Nitro hopefully theyre still open to signing new bands lol.... Although Nitro could possibly have been losing money for the last few years. (which would be why they only have 1 band signed)

RexDarr
04-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Not necessarily. Nitro is a small, independent label. Right for some bands, not right for others.

So they are for bands who are looking for a record label but not to be promoted a lot?

I think it would be awesome to get my band on Nitro xD

Little_Miss_1565
04-21-2010, 03:44 PM
So they are for bands who are looking for a record label but not to be promoted a lot?

I think it would be awesome to get my band on Nitro xD

I can imagine it's fun to think about, but it doesn't look like Nitro is doing a lot of signing these days.

"Not to be promoted a lot" is kind of leading. It's really relative. Small labels do different things, but they're not going to spend the sort of money that a major label would simply because it's not there. But there are other things you can do, and other metrics of success. But again, Nitro hasn't released an album as far as I can tell in a couple years.

RexDarr
04-25-2010, 11:58 PM
I can imagine it's fun to think about, but it doesn't look like Nitro is doing a lot of signing these days.

"Not to be promoted a lot" is kind of leading. It's really relative. Small labels do different things, but they're not going to spend the sort of money that a major label would simply because it's not there. But there are other things you can do, and other metrics of success. But again, Nitro hasn't released an album as far as I can tell in a couple years.

Is No Trigger still with them? I know they released at least one album with Nitro.

cool 2 hate 681
04-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Is No Trigger still with them? I know they released at least one album with Nitro.

im pretty sure they are not on nitro anymore