PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do you sympathize with Tea Party Protesters?

Static_Martyr
04-17-2010, 09:12 PM
I've been doing some mild research (for personal reasons) into the Tea Party movement in North America, and from what I can tell they get mostly bad publicity. I have read several cases of people who are against Obama's policies (or even supportive of the Tea Party movement as a political ideology), and yet have come out against some of the more extreme actions the movement has taken recently....but it's very rarely from someone with any real power or authority, such as a political representative. Most of the time it has come from obscure religious leaders, or local officials, such as in this case (from an article titled, "Bridging the Hate Gap in DC: A rabbi and attorney speak out"):

http://www.niot.org/blog/bridging-hate-gap-dc-rabbi-and-attorney-speak-out?page=1

The Republicans’ recalcitrance in confronting this violence is presumably driven by the same political gamesmanship that makes their Democratic counterparts quick to connect the ideological cause to the violent activity. These violent rogues are as much a political threat to the causes and people that they associate with as they are a political opportunity for those who stand in opposition to them.

In the case of Republican leaders who dismiss the violence as “isolated” or “not indicative of the group as a whole,” there’s much more they can do. And though it may require courage and sacrifice on their part, it is not nearly the kind of courage or sacrifice that these same leaders ask their fellow Americans to make. At the very least, a united front in forceful opposition to the rogue elements would be helpful.

There is nothing that is stopping Republican Members of Congress from staunchly fighting to alter the Democratic Party's version of health care reform while also throwing the most extreme Tea Party actors under the proverbial bus. And the onus is on Republicans, because they are the leaders and intended beneficiaries of the causes that the rogue individuals are putatively supporting with their assaults, vandalism, epithets, threats and spittle.

The failure of Congressional Republicans to engage in meaningful efforts to oppose violent intimidation is a lesson. Instead of pointing fingers at broad movements and causes, we should first commit ourselves to service as sentinels on the lookout for wrongs committed by our own purported “allies,” as their actions – not our adversaries’ actions – are the ones that will reflect on our own character. By being most vigilant about correcting the wrongdoers we are aligned with – politically, socially, culturally, etc. – we can be our most effective at thwarting violence and hate.

Even worse, I've been able to compile a fair amount of video and photographic evidence of some particularly despicable acts performed at Tea Party protests:

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq276/polemicvol_2008/niggar-sign-tea-party.jpg

To be fair, though, the above protester was eventually booted from the gathering because of his sign. But there are still other cases, such as a man with Parkinson's disease who was openly mocked by Tea Party protesters:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/18/tea-party-protesters-bera_n_504183.html

And Rachel Maddow had a report about several other incidents, one concerning a man who had left violent answering machines on a congresswoman's answering machine after she had voted to pass the health care bill; another concerning a message left on the answering machine of a black congressman calling him a "worthless damn nigger," among other things:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WZYNFZ_knw

But all this is beside the point....I've mentioned these things in a couple of internet debates and I've been told the same thing on every count: "The Tea Party protesters are really peaceful, those are outcasts who don't represent the movement as a whole." So what I want to know is:

A) Is there anyone here who supports or believes in the Tea Party movement?
B) If so, and if you believe that the above stories do not accurately portray the Tea Party movement....then where would you recommend that I look for information on the Tea Party movement that is "more accurate?" All I can seem to find at this point are individual blogs, or blogs written by people who openly refer to liberals as "evil," blacks as "niggers," or America as a "Christian nation." I am specifically trying to find information from a source that is more centrist in nature, or at least mostly devoid of the conspiracy-theory mindset.

I am trying to find all the information I can about this movement. Anything you can tell me or recommend to me for reading would be a big help. Comments/questions are (of course) also welcome. Thanks in advance, BBS!

ad8
04-18-2010, 02:45 AM
Sometimes I wonder how the USA manage to not fall apart. I mean, there appear to be lots of people with really extreme world views and still there's no civil war or at least riots/assassinations...

To answer your question, I don't sympathize with them at all.

Static_Martyr
04-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Sometimes I wonder how the USA manage to not fall apart. I mean, there appear to be lots of people with really extreme world views and still there's no civil war or at least riots/assassinations...

Well, there's talk (and until recently, video evidence) of a planned "armed march on Washington." One blog I was reading had a video (until it was taken down from Youtube by the original submitter) with a partial transcript of the narration:

http://washingtonindependent.com/39893/the-million-militia-man-march

A peaceful demonstration of at least a million — hey, if we can get 10 million, even better — but at least one million armed militia men marching on Washington. A peaceful demonstration. No shooting, no one gets hurt. Just a demonstration. The only difference from any typical demonstration is we will all be armed.

Also, pictures like this have been popping up at Tea Party rallies:

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab162/johngalt1945/wecameunarmedthistime.jpg

Also, check out some of the comments on this page:

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1023131/pg1

APRIL 19, 2010 - ARMED MARCH IN WASHINGTON

As it stands now, [the above] is how I plan on attending the Restore the Constitution rally on 4-19 at Ft. Hunt and Gravelly Park.

Pistol loaded, openly carried. Rifle unloaded, slung to rear. Bandoleer of magazines containing ammo. All in accordance with rules below. Please note that guidelines below are subject to final coordination with the Department of the Interior:

Participants and attendees are expected to know and abide by all applicable state and federal firearms laws. None of the information provided below is legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is created by reading or relying upon this information. If you have questions, then you are expected to know the applicable state and federal firearms laws before attending the event.

Re: APRIL 19, 2010 - ARMED MARCH IN WASHINGTON

sounds like it's going to be an interesting day:)

just remember you are an immortal soul and will never really die.

these are just spacesuits we are wearing.

There are plenty of other (more sane) people posting there as well, but personally, I'm not sure how to feel when I encounter someone who plans to march on our nation's capital *with a gun,* who believes that he is an "immortal soul and will never really die." If people are ready to die over goddamn health care reform, I wonder what would happen if something genuinely horrible happened?

Apathy
04-18-2010, 09:47 AM
They are for the most part, with some degree of generalization, a ravenous fear-mongering group of uninformed hillbillies and scumbags. I detest them and everything that they believe they stand for. The absolute worst thing about them is that they believe they are the true patriots, standing up for what they believe in because they think they're oppressed or some bullshit. Never before have I been so disgusted with the human race without some sort of actual crime being committed. I hope they all get cancer and then can't afford their treatment.

mario_spaghettio
04-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Politicians who don't listen to their citizens should be assassinated.

mario_spaghettio
04-29-2010, 03:37 PM
And most of the racist rednecks and other extremists at these tea party rallies are actually planted by the opposition to marginalize the movement.

IamSam
04-29-2010, 04:35 PM
And most of the racist rednecks and other extremists at these tea party rallies are actually planted by the opposition to marginalize the movement.

Sources, bra. Sources.

coke_a_holic
04-29-2010, 04:40 PM
SOOUURRCE: http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/04/inside-man-how-a-prankster-plans-to-destroy-the-tea-party-movement.php

Pretty exciting stuff.

Can you imagine what would happen if thousands of potentially armed black people stormed Washington DC, toting signs full of anti-white language, spitting on white congressmen, getting possibly dangerous?

They'd be arrested. Or called a gang. Or just plain ignored.

BUT WE GOT HONEST TO GOD AMERICANS OUT THERE, FIGHTING WITH THEIR FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS, GOD BLESS 'EM.

Yeah, fuck the Tea Party and their racist, hillbilly bullshit.

Static_Martyr
04-29-2010, 04:41 PM

Are you by any chance talking about Jason Levin? If so....I'd be more interested in this particular conspiracy theory if someone could find some pictures of people who we can verify to have been sent in by Mr. Levin's (or another similar) group. So far, I've only found evidence of Mr. Levin himself....and on top of that, these racially-oriented (and in some cases, threatening or just plain crazy) signs have been popping up since long before Mr. Levin's "crash the tea party" campaign came into place. It's kind of hard to explain away the crazies that showed up before there was ever a "conspiracy" in place.

If you're referring to something else, though, feel free to drop a link or something. I'm always good for a read in my spare time :)

Politicians who don't listen to their citizens should be assassinated.

Who gets to decide which people "the citizens" are, though? And who gets to decide if politicians are "listening" to them or not, such that murder is a reasonable recourse? A lot of liberally-minded folks seem quite pleased with Obama (enough so to vote him in and continue to support him in his endeavor to pass the health care bill, anyway). I'm pretty down with him so far, as well. Do people like me not count?

wheelchairman
04-29-2010, 05:46 PM
He's a troll dudes.

mario_spaghettio
05-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Are you by any chance talking about Jason Levin? If so....I'd be more interested in this particular conspiracy theory if someone could find some pictures of people who we can verify to have been sent in by Mr. Levin's (or another similar) group. So far, I've only found evidence of Mr. Levin himself....and on top of that, these racially-oriented (and in some cases, threatening or just plain crazy) signs have been popping up since long before Mr. Levin's "crash the tea party" campaign came into place. It's kind of hard to explain away the crazies that showed up before there was ever a "conspiracy" in place.

If you're referring to something else, though, feel free to drop a link or something. I'm always good for a read in my spare time :)

I hadn't heard of Levin until you brought him up. It proves my point though. People are doing this. Most of the "bad apples" at these rallies are not actual tea party people.