PDA

View Full Version : "No Brakes" interpretation

disclaimer_07
04-23-2010, 10:28 AM
I guess it would be a cool idea to (thoroughly) discuss some of the Offspring lyrics, so if you've got too much time on your hands and want to post your own interpretations, then don't hesitate to do so.

I'll start with "No Brakes".

To my mind, this song is about being depressed, having no hope whatsoever and being aware of all the wrong you've done.

Let's analyze the lyrics:

Lay awake
I don't give a shit
If I even ever wake up in the morning

- He probably can't fall asleep since his head is full of thoughts, and even if he does, he doesn't really give a damn if he ever wakes up again.

Down below
There's a pile of sin
Always waiting for a
Waiting for a warning

- He can feel all his sins building up inside to form a "pile" but it seems he's not able to stop it on his own, he's waiting for a "warning", most likely for something dramatic or traumatic to happen.

Burned at the stake
Inside I'm blistering
Not a whisper
Looking in you'd never know it

- I would say he's figuratively being burned on the pile of his own sin (just like a pile of wood was used to burn someone at the stake), he's burning up inside, but he won't even say a word, you won't see anything even if you look very closely.

Miles below
I look up again
When you snap they say
Before you never show it

- I'm not really sure but my best guess would be he looks up into Heaven in despair maybe trying to find some hope, though it seems so far away, and when he finally loses control over himself, "they", whoever "they" are, will see that even if he does his best to hide it. Maybe he means that others will try to help him even if he keeps his feelings/anger to himself.

Someone said it's all right
Save it now, don't say it for my sake
Someone said it's all right
Faster now, you know I got no brakes

- Someone is trying to console him saying "it's gonna be okay" but he replies "don't say that just to make me feel better" and then adds "speed up, you know I won't stop anyway", something like "I'm ready for this to happen, don't make me wait any longer".

Fuses glow
Wounds are festering

- Something is about to explode: "fuses glow", the same is meant by "wounds are festering", this is the final stage of something really bad happening. The infection has set in and is going to consume him.

Till the wind comes up
And takes it to the last pow

- I understand that as a turning point, "the wind" suddenly comes up and blows all the fire away and heals all his wounds till there's nothing bad left, it "takes it to the last POW", you know just like the sound of an explosion meaning it destroys everything completely. He had no hope left, now something comes and saves him.

Back and forth
Staring at the wall
This room's a cage
I know that something's got to give now

- He's back to reality. He feels like he's trapped in a cage, doesn't know what to do yet. He's still too scared to face it but knows that "something's got to give now" meaning "something must change now", perhaps his attitude and everything that goes with it.

Anyway, this is just my take on the lyrics. Am I way off the mark?

malepunker
04-23-2010, 01:15 PM
I agree to most of the stuff you said. I'm kinda lazy to go into details now... but that was a good Idea for a song to interpretate. It's a very cool song and probably possible to interpretate in a lot of ways. Hope to see what else people can get out of the song.
Wonder what he actually meant while writing it.

Outerspaceman21
05-01-2010, 04:18 PM
Thats pretty well thought out and I agree for the most part.

nancyoff
05-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Itīs really interesting to read your interpretation
really good! ;)