PDA

View Full Version : Vultures - lyrics interpretation

disclaimer_07
04-24-2010, 01:12 AM
This song is a tough one to interpret. To be honest, I've never really focused on the lyrics before but now I did. Here's what comes to my mind:

I suppose it's about losing a person the speaker used to love (and maybe still loves), presumably his ex-girlfriend.

Now I could lie by your side
All serrated for you

- This part could mean he's watching her die. He could lie by her side but he knows it wouldn't do any good to her. It can only hurt her even more, twisting the "serrated" knife.

Down below cancer grows
Weeping waits inside you too

- Well, pretty much self-explanatory if we take it all literally. It's only getting worse and making her want to cry in helplessness.

Now all our rage begs a stage
It's a waste of time though

- Though they're both angry, showing their rage won't help in any way.

And your style seems worthwhile
But this lonely road has turned

- Perhaps he's trying to say she's dealing with it without showing emotions, taking it "like a man". I'm not sure about the "lonely road" part, he might be saying her "lonely path" after they broke up has turned in some other direction where she can seek consolation from someone else.

And you faded there

- I think it's like saying you got lost there, or you were trapped.

They pretend to care
Vultures waiting

- They only seem to care, in fact waiting for your death. You are surrounded by "vultures". They're only looking for some kind of profit. It's only him that actually cares.

If you don't like me, certify me

- However, he is still not sure if she has any feelings left for him. He's looking for some kind of confirmation.

The chorus part in this case would be actually his ex-girlfriend speaking:

Yeah – I don't know

- She doesn't seem to know if she still "likes" him. Or maybe doesn't want to admit it.

Yeah – I won't go

- To me, it's more like saying "I'm not gonna die".

Yeah – Save it I'm okay

- Again, she's pretending to be strong by saying "everything's okay, I don't need your help".

And in the sun a loaded gun
Makes for conversation

- I can imagine a new day has come and they're both quiet now and don't really want to say anything as they perfectly know there's a "loaded gun" pointed at her head, meaning it's already so bad that she can die any moment. Anyway, there's really nothing else they could talk about right now.

All the while in denial
It's too late for me to change

- I'd say he's blaming himself now for "denying" his real feelings, not letting them out. But obviously it's too late to do anything.

And you were unchained
Nothing more had changed
I could fake it

- She was left to her own devices, she probably wanted that, but nothing had really changed besides the fact of her "being unchained". He could pretend it's otherwise though.

If you still hate me, confiscate me

- Once again, he's looking for some kind of declaration. I'm not sure what is really meant by "confiscate" but I can tell his feelings are pretty intense at this point. Maybe what he intended to say was something along the lines of "if you still hate me, then just kill me or something".

Yeah – I don't know
Yeah – I won't go
Yeah – Save it I'm okay

- Same answer.

Yeah – I won’t play

- She's tired of everything, fed up with all these "games".

Yeah – Go away

- She wants him to leave.

Yeah – Save it I'm okay

She's still lying to herself (and him), pretending she's okay.

Well, it doesn't have to be a girlfriend, it can be anyone he cares about. They must have parted their ways at some point, whatever the reason was, but even now that the end is near they can't accept their own mistakes, they just keep blaming each other. Maybe if Dexter ever reads this, he will laugh his head off... but that would be my best shot anyway. What do you guys think?

Hombre
04-24-2010, 03:57 AM
disclaimer_07,good job!It's pretty interesting to read your interpretation of Dexter's lyrics.May be you should try Crossroads?

disclaimer_07
04-24-2010, 06:26 AM
disclaimer_07,good job!It's pretty interesting to read your interpretation of Dexter's lyrics.May be you should try Crossroads?

Well, thanks. I could try Crossroads even though my interpretation would be quite straightforward.

But now I am starting to see a connection between Denial, Revisited and Vultures which makes me really think the speaker is talking about his (ex-)girlfriend. There may be a reason why Vultures follows Denial on the album.

holland25
04-24-2010, 06:27 AM
I've always had a feeling that those two songs were somehow connected.

dr.vanessa
04-24-2010, 07:52 AM
hey discy!i really like ur interpretation xD i was just thinking ..it doesnt have to be an actual death..cancer could be any ''rotten'' part of ppl's soul [rage,our selfcentred side] that sometimes becomes the reason that sbd is left alone being unable to comunicate with the other person and the peace in their (any kind of) relationship is under the ''shadow'' of a loaded gun so that looks like a ''death''..the worst ''death'' is when sbd feels dead-alive or when a situation/relationship ''dies'' cause of the ''cancer'' in our soul ..
Maybe my thought sucks though :o

disclaimer_07
04-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Assuming that Vultures is a follow-up to Denial, I'd guess something really traumatic must have happened to bring them back together. Now she can see that he is her real friend. The "vultures" only want to take advantage of her.

Down below cancer grows

Well, you'll have to forgive me for being so shallow but I take that one literally. I mean, whatever it is, it's slowly killing her.

dr.vanessa
04-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Down below cancer grows

Well, you'll have to forgive me for being so shallow but I take that one literally. I mean, whatever it is, it's slowly killing her.

lol no shallow at all :p it's just another point of view:cool:

offsrx
04-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Great interpretation! Awsome song.. I'm gonna have to try to cover it.. :)

Inconspicuous93
05-13-2010, 10:27 AM
I've never really understood what the song 'Vultures', from 'Conspiracy of One', is about; although I've always loved it. Does anyone have an interpretation of its lyrics/meaning?

Now I could lie by your side
All serrated for you
Down below, cancer grows
Weeping waits inside you too

Now, all our rage begs a stage
It's a waste of time though
And your style seems worthwhile
But this lonely road has turned

And you faded there
They pretend to care
Vultures waiting
If you don't like me
Certify Me

Yeah - I don't know
Yeah - I won't go
Yeah - save it, I'm okay

And in the sun, a loaded gun
Makes for conversation
All the while, in denial
It's too late for me to change

And you were unchained
Nothing more had changed
I could fake it
If you still hate me
Confiscate me

Oh we're jaded - I don't know
Overrated - I won't go
All serrated - Save it I'm okay

Yeah - I won't play
Yeah - go away
Yeah - save it I'm okay

Thanks.
:D

findout5
05-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Bald birds flying around a carcass!

batfish
05-13-2010, 11:55 AM
I think this song is either about the break up of a relationship or a death.

1. Break up of relationship interpretation
"Cancer" is a metaphor for something destructive that is growing inside the other person; maybe their personality is changing. The speaker could ignore it but really feel cut-up about it ("serrated"). He's angry about it, they've argued in the past, but now he realises it's a waste of time.

"And your style seems worthwhile / But this lonely road has turned" - this is the line that makes it complicated for me. Maybe the other person's personality has changed, but they're still a good (worthwhile) person, but the two people just aren't compatible any more? But that doesn't fit with the earlier interpretation of "cancer", that it's something destructive.

The "vultures" are the other person's new friends that aren't real friends, they just want to take advantage. They don't like the speaker but he doesn't care; they can "certify" / judge him if they want. The "loaded gun" is a reference to the speaker and the new friends arguing.

In the end the speaker and the other person split up; the other person is "unchained". The speaker could have carried on pretending ("fake it") so the other person hates him for not trying. But he says he's not going to play along.

2. Death interpretation
The other person is dying - not necessarily from cancer, that could still be a metaphor. But the speaker sees them dying and it hurts him ("serrated").

"Now all our rage begs a stage" They are both upset and rage is a stage in grieving (I think - along with denial, acceptance etc) and they wish they could skip it.

"And your style seems worthwhile but this lonely road has turned" A good person is dying but it's too late, the person's turned a corner & isn't going to get better.

"Vultures" are the people who only pretend to care; maybe they stand to get something (inheritance?) out of the person who is dying.

After the other person is dead ("unchained"), the speaker could pretend to live a normal life ("fake it"). (The following lines from "if you still hate me" to "I won't go" I can't make fit with this interpretation.)

Finally the speaker is bitter and angry about the whole thing and is tells people who are concerned / pretend to be concerned not to bother, he's okay.