PDA

View Full Version : Just thought of this

sKratch
04-24-2010, 08:55 AM
First I'd like to apologize because I'm having trouble wording this nearly as clearly as it exists in my head.
After years of accusing progressives of being on the "radical left", "extreme left", etc, the far right in the US has created an ultra-conservative movement, with many Republicans being called "too liberal" all across the country and votes going to the Conservative party. The irony is delicious; after calling standard-issue Democrats radical to undermine their stance, a truly radical movement has spawned from the right. Apparently, being an extremist is perfectly OK when it's your own beliefs.

Llamas
04-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Coming from the POV of someone who's politically moderate, I do find it absolutely absurd how the extreme right loves to sit around and call everyone "too liberal", even calling Obama an "extreme liberal" (SUCH A COMMIE lolololo)... but I rarely hear people on the left accusing people of being "extreme conservatives" or anything. As a moderate, I get called an extreme liberal by the right all the time, but I rarely hear the opposite from the left. But none of these people would ever be able to possibly admit to being an extreme conservative.

RageAndLov
04-25-2010, 12:38 PM
I think it's funny that USians use the term "leftist" to describe someone within the USian politics, as there are only people on the right side and people on the far right side in the country.

wheelchairman
04-25-2010, 12:50 PM
You live in a country where the party called 'Left' is actually right-wing...

RageAndLov
04-25-2010, 02:31 PM
You live in a country where the party called 'Left' is actually right-wing...

Actually, it is pretty centred, but we don't call the members of Left for leftists. It is called Left because it was a leftist party many many years ago.

Llamas
04-25-2010, 03:15 PM
I think it's funny that USians use the term "leftist" to describe someone within the USian politics, as there are only people on the right side and people on the far right side in the country.

l o l .

IamSam
04-25-2010, 06:38 PM

Shut up, Pinko scum.

sarcasm

wheelchairman
04-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Actually, it is pretty centred, but we don't call the members of Left for leftists. It is called Left because it was a leftist party many many years ago.

That's actually not the reason why. It's the same reason why we have a non-left parties in Denmark called Venstre and Radikale Venstre. Has to do with which side of the parliament these parties were sitting on, when you stand in the position of the speaker or chancellor or whoevers running parliament.

The more you know!

Lord Phidias
04-26-2010, 11:56 AM
First I'd like to apologize because I'm having trouble wording this nearly as clearly as it exists in my head.

Is "wording" a real word?

IamSam
04-26-2010, 11:57 AM

Let me Google that for you. (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wording&l=1)

rise_and_fall
04-27-2010, 06:41 PM
In Australia the Liberal Party is actually the more conservative of two major parties, which is weird.

sKratch
05-02-2010, 12:23 AM

You know, I didn't really know where this thread would go. The possibilities were pretty wide. But this, this post I didn't see coming.